The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
gocanes88

2010 NHL playoff picture

Updated for weekend games. We are within 7 POSSIBLE points for the eighth spot.

Team      Possible points      Current points

Philly          108                         72

Boston        105                        69

Atlanta        102                        66

Tampa Bay  101                       65

Montreal      100                       70

NYR              99                       67

Florida            98                       62

CAROLINA   95                       61

NYI                94                       60

With a minor (or major) miracle this week, we could actually make it to within 3 possible points of the eighth spot (and six points of the seventh spot). Not holding my breath or anything - just saying it is still possible.

With a minor (or major) miracle this week, we could actually make it to within 3 possible points of the eighth spot (and six points of the seventh spot). Not holding my breath or anything - just saying it is still possible.

Just take care of Washington and Pittsburgh on back to backs this Wednesday and Thursday.  Yes, a miracle is needed. 

IM JUST PROUD OF HOW THIS TEAM HAS  STUCK TOGTHER, PLAYOFFS OR NOT, WE ARE GOING TO KNOCK TEAMS OUT   AS WE FALL,  IF WE DO..   OK, yes, i meant to have  this in caps, way  to go canes,  next 10 days will  tell the tale  , 3  with caps, 2  pens, one coyotes, one  bruins,   cant think of other 3, we do play canadians 2 more... last 6 days or so..

[quote name='superdave-1 wrote:

Category5']With a minor (or major)
miracle
this week, we could actually make it to within 3 possible points of the eighth spot (and six points of the seventh spot). Not holding my breath or anything - just saying it is still possible.

Just take care of Washington and Pittsburgh on back to backs this Wednesday and Thursday.  Yes, a miracle is needed. 

Then take care of them again the following week on Thursday and Saturday. No biggie laugh.gif

It seems that I'm busier than I thought I would be, so until we go down the stretch (as Johnny always says), I'll just commit to updating after all the night's games are done.

Basically 1.5 points / game should be enough (or maybe even a bit less). In other words a record of 12-4-1 would probably do it. A while ago they needed about 1.7 points / game. This means that if they get points like they have got recently, we are in the playoffs! And of course it helps a lot if they win the right teams, like Atlanta and Montreal.

The theory of "they only need 90 (insert magic number here) points to make the playoffs" theory holds no water whatsoever. You won't know the magic number until the last week of the season...even then it wont be etched in stone. The only numbers you need to concern yourself with are these:

The Canes need to earn 7 points more than the Rangers over the next 17 games...and hope that Atlanta, Tampa and Florida don't do the same. Those 7 points equate to 3 wins and an OT or 4 wins MORE than the Rangers get over their next 16 games. That's the ONLY equation that matters. Unless the Rangers, Thrashers, Lightning or Panthers all go on losing streaks, it won't matter. The Canes have to vault over 4 teams in 17 games. That's a steep climb beyond imagination. Anyone who thinks "we're only 7 points or 3 wins out of the playoffs" hasn't a clue.

The theory of "they only need 90 (insert magic number here) points to make the playoffs" theory holds no water whatsoever. You won't know the magic number until the last week of the season...even then it wont be etched in stone. The only numbers you need to concern yourself with are these:

The Canes need to earn 7 points more than the Rangers over the next 17 games...and hope that Atlanta, Tampa and Florida don't do the same. Those 7 points equate to 3 wins and an OT or 4 wins MORE than the Rangers get over their next 16 games. That's the ONLY equation that matters. Unless the Rangers, Thrashers, Lightning or Panthers all go on losing streaks, it won't matter. The Canes have to vault over 4 teams in 17 games. That's a steep climb beyond imagination. Anyone who thinks "we're only 7 points or 3 wins out of the playoffs" hasn't a clue.

You are absolutely right. However, because it is impossible to know how other teams will play, one can simply assume that they keep up with their points/game productivity and calculate the magic number that way. The magic number then of course is not the absolutely correct one, but one could argue that there is about the same probability that it actually will be higher than that it will be lower than the predicted one. Therefore it can be said for example that if they make 1.5 points/game, there is around 50% change to get into playoffs. Or then it can be used to estimate is it realistic at all or not (with no guarantee of course).

By the way, Canes do not need to think about climbing. All they have to do is try to get as many points as possible every night.

"When the dust settled , Carolina Hurricanes was crowned , yet again as Stanley cup champions. Game winning goal  was scored by B Sutter , and the puck bounced  from J. Thorntons helmet and through the five hole of Nabokov into the net of Sharks. Hurricanes of Carolina won the series of 7 in seventh overtime of the seventh game of Stanley cup Finals. Total playing time of the seventh final was 192 minutes and 7 seconds. The year this all takes place is 20 hundred and 10."

-Michael De Nostradame-

Even Nostradamus had faith in Canes . tongue.gif And the guy was living 500 years ago. We are living here and now , so speculations aside and enjoy the games. Springtime is going to be good for us. We will make it. wink.gif

Team             Possible points           Current points

Philly                  106                        74

Boston               104                        72

Montreal            100                        74

Atlanta                 98                        66

Tampa Bay          98                        66

NYR                    97                        67

Florida                 96                        64

CAROLINA        94                        64

NYI                      91                        61

Since I first posted this chart one week ago, we are (-3 POSSIBLE points) to Montreal, (+5) to Atlanta, (+2) to NYR, (-1) to FL, and (+2) to NYI.

IF everybody wins this weekend that should win based on rankings (except us beating PHX) then we will pass one team, catch two teams, and get within 4 points (on the POSSIBLE points chart) of eighth place.

Given that we have taken 3 out of 4 points from the top two teams in the east on back to back nights, I doubt very strongly that we will see any more back-up goalies.

2 vs. the Thrashers, 2 vs. the Habs, 2 vs. the Bruins, and 2 vs. the Lightning, so in that sense we are the "semi-masters" of our own destiny.  If we take care of that little bit of business, it will go a long way....a few weeks ago, I really didn't think we had the proverbial snowball's chance...but after watching us play the Caps and the Pens on back to backs, I was pretty impressed with the heart of this team.  The only real negative is that we were outshot by a fair margin against the Caps and a significant margin against the Pens. 

So here's the row we have to hoe....2 more vs. Washington, 1 more vs. the Pens, 1 vs. the Yotes, 1 vs. the Slugs, 2 vs. Boston, 2 vs. the Habs, 1 vs. the Sens, and 1 vs. the Devils...that's 11 games vs. current playoff teams....get to it boys.  Is it time to start chanting "We Believe" yet?

problem games are like sat nite  habs and bruins... cant win with that one.. so hope one teams wins in regulation

Bruins and Canadiens are playing well and starting to put some distance between themselves and 9th place and lower.  I have a feeling it's going to take 90 points for a playoff spot after all.

Even after playing lights-out hockey for over a month, we're still 8 points out.  It just shows how hard it is to make up the ground and leapfrog so many teams.  It makes me shake my head in disgust to think what might have been.  We coulda been a contenda.

Just think if we do sneak into that 8th spot.  What a prize we'd be for the top seed.

"Prize"? If you mean that as in an easy opponent, then wow...
What I meant was that usually the top seed gets the easiest draw in the first round.  If we were to make it in, we'd have played the best hockey in the league over the last half of the season and would be the hottest team going into the playoffs.  Easy draw, not so much.  

It's over. Boston is 10 points ahead. If Boston wins 5 more games the Canes are mathematically eliminated. Reduce that "5" by 1 each time the Canes lose again. While some may still hold onto the "if we win out, and someone elses goes bankrupt, we can get in" theory....the truth is, it;s over. There's no chance of making the playoffs at this point. They need to set their sights squarely on a top 2 draft pick at this point. Sit ANY player who's not playing well or might be fighting a nagging injury. Give EVERY Albany guy a good set of games.

Just sad, we had a chance

Not really though...it was a heckuva run but could we really expect Legacy and Peters to keep playing at .920 and giving up 2 goals a game; quite a run and proud of the boys and the effort they gave but it was a one in a million shot.  Totally agree with some of the above too...let's start looking to 2010-2011--shut Cam down for the year, let Peters play (maybe even send him down and take a look at Pogge as they will battle it out for the #2 slot); McBain stays up and maybe we can get another look at Osala and Bowman as well. 

I'd like to see Tlusty, Bowman, Mcbain, Boychuk, Osala all get decent minutes in a top 6 forward line for several games this season. At this point there's absolutely no reason to keep running Rod Brind'amour out there with Samsonov, etc. I want to see the younger guys given a good audition now, not at rookie camp!

I'd like to see Tlusty, Bowman, Mcbain, Boychuk, Osala all get decent minutes in a top 6 forward line for several games this season. At this point there's absolutely no reason to keep running Rod Brind'amour out there with Samsonov, etc. I want to see the younger guys given a good audition now, not at rookie camp!
Agreed. Let the young prospects show who can probably make the team next season.

----
Where can I find the Canes' contract situation? I mean, who will be UFA, FRA this summer? What is the salary cap situation? Who do you expect will be "sold"?

EDIT: I found the site with contracts: http://nhlnumbers.com/ove...team=CAR&season=0910

[quote name='Finnjavel wrote:

TheBigKahuna']

Agreed. Let the young prospects show who can probably make the team next season.

----
Where can I find the Canes' contract situation? I mean, who will be UFA, FRA this summer? What is the salary cap situation? Who do you expect will be "sold"?

I found thislink