The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
AWACSooner

Corvo traded to Capitals for Pothier and Osala and a 2nd round pick

This one is a weird one.. I'm sure we had to take Pothier because of Washington's salary cap.. but I don't know anything about Osala.. he is Finnish tho.. join the club, Osala..

Pothier is a UFA salary dump at years end. Osala looks like he could be an unheralded good get by JR and we got a 2nd round pick!! Restocking the farm and calling up the current Rats - I like it.

This one makes no sense to me. Pothier makes 2.5 million THIS year, is a UFA this summer. I guess they see enough upside in Osala to write off the UFA swap. Pothier is like a smaller Corvo. I hear there's also a 2nd rounder coming this way.....waiting for confirmation though.

Pothier is a UFA...we took him to help Washington in cap room. Makes more sense seeing the Canes also get a 2nd rounder.

Thought JR wanted to make the club younger?  Don't really get how that happens with 32 yr old Pothier.

We don't know if JR plan on keeping him do we?  He may be a trading piece of the summer.  Who knows.  We ARE getting younger even with him.

This one makes no sense to me. Pothier makes 2.5 million THIS year, is a UFA this summer. I guess they see enough upside in Osala to write off the UFA swap. Pothier is like a smaller Corvo. I hear there's also a 2nd rounder coming this way.....waiting for confirmation though.

Pothier is a UFA...we took him to help Washington in cap room. Makes more sense seeing the Canes also get a 2nd rounder.

Salary dump required by the Caps to make the deal happen.  We're only responsible for his salary for the rest of the season.

Washington is going for it but they didn't address the biggest question mark they have, goaltending.

After the smoke clears, looks like a great trade. We get Pothier who won't be here come April. He's not worth signing at any salary.

But a young Finnish forward....seems like a trend! Osala is big, 6' and 217. His AHL numbers actually look good. The 2nd round pick was just a super bonus. Washington was really high on Corvo...or just really high.

Osala is a good player and skilled, Carolina made a good deal. When he played in Finland he was one of the best young players then, but i dont know what he is now, lets wait and see. He has won the Calder Cup, thats a plus. 

Bad thing is that he gets into fights some times.. and loses

Osala is a good player and skilled, Carolina made a good deal. When he played in Finland he was one of the best young players then, but i dont know what he is now, lets wait and see.
I was hoping one of you guys would chime in with some Finland info, thanks.

Surpised to see so much activity between JR and Washington. This is a good deal for The Canes. Pothier isn't great, but he's a solid defender, and it'll give the team another defenseman since JR traded 3 of them. Washington's making a run, and needed to dump Pothier's salary to make the deal happen. Pothier isn't a bad player. Overpaid, sure. I think Corvo actually got a decent deal. He's going to probably the best team in the East, and it's not far from his home, meaning he won't have to uproot his family, and he could re-sign in the offseason.

Interesting note on Osala in his bio......

Personal

Admires fellow Finns Saku Koivu, Teemu Selanne and Jari Kurri … Also looks up to Erik Cole of the Edmonton Oilers.