The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
AWACSooner

Corvo traded to Capitals for Pothier and Osala and a 2nd round pick

Interesting note on Osala in his bio......

Personal

Admires fellow Finns Saku Koivu, Teemu Selanne and Jari Kurri … Also looks up to Erik Cole of the Edmonton Oilers.

What a surprise he will have when he see that Cole is in Carolina too, lol

Just got through reading on the Caps' board and they felt that their team overpaid for Corvo, especially giving us a 2nd round pick on top of their two players.  They are quite aware of  Corvo turning the puck over in the defensive zone.."oh no Corvo"grin.gif  They didn't seem to care about letting go of Osala, more concern about letting Pothier go..

That's 5 young(ish except for Jokinen) Finns that will most likely be in the lineup next season.

Hi, 

New to the boards, just would like to know who are the 5 Finns you are talking about.

And why excluding Jokinen from the mix since he is from the same age group as Ruutu and Pitkanen

Oskar Osala was very important part when Blues Espoo got their first medal ever in Finnish Elite league 2007-2008. He was the rookie of the year. He also was a co-leading scorer in JWC, in Sweden 2007 (?).

He played two seasons in OHL (Mississauga Icedogs).

The biggest problem has been the Hershey Bears policy: to win AHL by any means. To win every game. They have a lot good AHL-level players in their roster that do not have any future in NHL. There are prospect players like Perrault, Bouchard and Osala in Bears that have not got quality minutes. 

All these players have very good points when you compare points/minutes. I think Osalas points are all 5-5 -points. He has not played any PP.

Bears is fist a winning AHL and team and only secondly a Capitals affiliated team.

I think Osala is a better player than numbers show (play time in AHL are not public). He is typical power forwad and has a good shot. He is not afraid to get his nose dirty. And he is big 6-4. Good (to his size) and very fast skater.

I would not be surprised if he was on Carolina line-up next season.

-----
Is it true that Albany River Rats are moving to Carolina (Charlotte?) next season?

EDIT: Oskar's size.....

. And he is big 8-4. Good (to his size) and very fast skater.

Holy Crap that guy is huge!!! and I though Chara was tallshock.gif

-----
Is it true that Albany River Rats are moving to Carolina (Charlotte?) next season?

Yes, unless we decide to start another NHL franchise in Charlotte with all our draft picks.

Caps fan here, you guys will be happy with Osala, Pothier is decent/consistent/not flashy.  Osala is a potential 3rd liner for you in the next couple of years, very solid player.  Thanks for Corvo, we needed the size and experience and he should be very valuable to us in April and May.  As for the second rounder, we already have the prospects we want, the picks were our leverage.  Canes are looking good a couple of years from now, cleaning out the vets and gettin' the picks, it's what we did and look how well that worked out. : ) Wish us luck for the cup! Go Southeast!

Caps fan here, you guys will be happy with Osala, Pothier is decent/consistent/not flashy.  Osala is a potential 3rd liner for you in the next couple of years, very solid player.  Thanks for Corvo, we needed the size and experience and he should be very valuable to us in April and May.  As for the second rounder, we already have the prospects we want, the picks were our leverage.  Canes are looking good a couple of years from now, cleaning out the vets and gettin' the picks, it's what we did and look how well that worked out. : ) Wish us luck for the cup! Go Southeast!
Corvo is highly skilled, and was outstanding when he arrived from Ottawa.  If a change in scenery helps, and he plays like he did on arriving in Raleigh, then you'll be well rewarded.  He'll take pressure off Green in the Playoff grind.

Caps fan here, you guys will be happy with Osala, Pothier is decent/consistent/not flashy.  Osala is a potential 3rd liner for you in the next couple of years, very solid player.  
I agree 100%. He is not afraid to crush the net and stay in front of blue paint. Potential PP player in that Holmström-role. Unselfish team-player.

Caps GM George McPhee  today: 

" I like Oskar Osala, think he has a chance to play, but we had an 'untouchable' list and we didn't give away any of those players."

Osala is a good player and skilled, Carolina made a good deal. When he played in Finland he was one of the best young players then, but i dont know what he is now, lets wait and see. He has won the Calder Cup, thats a plus. 

Bad thing is that he gets into fights some times.. and loses

Maybe he can room with Kstop. It appears they have much in common.   Thanks for the info,  I agree we must wait and see but sounds like he was a good pickup.

Finnjavel, thanks for the scouting report, and also for answering a question I've had for a couple of years - why the Caps were after Keith Aucoin when he was at best a career AHLer. He's still tearing it up for them, I'm sure.

JR did very well with this trade, and I think the Caps will be good for Corvo. Good deal for both teams from the sound of it.

From listening to JR's press conference, sounds like he is going to go after Corvo this offseason
Sounded like that to me, too. Hope so !  In any case, Joe will have a chance to make a cup run. So good for him.

Watching Caps game now----commentators are talking about their "new acquisitions"  angry.gif

jOE AND tIM ARE OUR BEST 2 SHUT DOWN D-MEN AND BOTH HAVE ENOUGH GRIT TO GET THE JOB DONE,

sO NOW WITH jOE GONE WHO IS GOING TO SHUT OVENCHCHKRN,OR HOWEVER YOU SPELL HIS RED RUSSIAN NAME.

WITH AKK THIS SAID I HOPE WE CONTINUE WITH THE PATH THAT WE WERE OM BEFORE TODAY

One of the reasons Washington was so high on signing Joe is because they have watched him help to

shut Ovie down these last couple of years so they are well aware of his skill set at both ends of the ice.

In an article on NHL.com tonight their GM was very pleased with his acquisition of Corvo. He averages

slightly more TOI than Mike Green. He said of the four players they received he was especially pleased

with Joe. They went after him hard.

Our loss.

We weakened our defense considerably with these trades. (Wallin, Alberts and Corvo) IMO

How well Picard and Pothier fill in the void remains to be seen.

I fell asleep for a couple of days and look what happened wink.gif. Fourth Finn to Canes. Cool. I really hope that Big OO will be a force in the future. High Potential guy... big , skilled , surprisingly fast... hard hitter. Good wrist shot , which he should use more often. He is a project , though , NHL next year maybe? Quite streaky, at least for now.