The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
Faceoff-ch1

Andrew Alberts to Vancouver for a 3rd round pick

Well, I hate this one.

I dont hate this one but I think I'd have rather kept Alberts.

All we need to do in the FA market is resign Corvo/or similar D-man and pick-up a first line winger for E. Staal.. we'll be set, this team is good. I'm glad they didn't trade Samsonov, I think he is quietly part of the "core"

I'm indifferent about this one.  I liked Alberts and I think we were headed in the rights direction with adding his size but he was a guy who didn't use his size like he could have but played pretty well nonetheless so, I don't know. 

And you're right about Ray.. his NTC sucked, a 1st rounder would have been nice.. but hopefully I'll eat my words when we can knock Corvo and Walker out of the playoffs (1st round)

This is the only bad trade we made today... besides NOT trading Ray
That is the BEST move today - not trading Ray!  Sad about all the others - except Corvo.  Best of luck to them all.

Alberts for a 3rd makes no sense.. big D-man, will drop the gloves, young, pretty cheap, doesn't make too many mistakes, his upside isn't great but he is a top-6 guy that we could have kept for a while. All the other trades I'm ok with, Corvo is a unique talent at D, but he makes some costly mistakes with the puck and may be back next year anyway.

These moves aren't being made so JR can replace the traded players right away. At least half of the defensive corps will be rebuilt in the offseason.

I like the trade, as Canes fans we have a tendancy to over-value our players. Alberts was solid, but I don't know what kind of return you all expected. Corvo brought the most return because he's the most talented. I feel Corvo is the only asset the Canes lost today.

JR has done a good job.

I'm not sure about this one either.. A lot of open D spots...I guess we'll see.. Maybe another Babchuk go-around?

Yes

But I'm not really crazy about this either, I liked Alberts I think he was a solid D-man.  Nothing flashy but wouldn't kill you either.  Oh well this is the nature of the beast. 

Don't like this one at all. Alberts is young and a shutdown guy. What the hell can we possibly replace that with?

A better young shut down guy.  Alberts was not exactly a one of a kind.

I'm going to assume this moves Rodney up from Albany for the remainder of the year.

The big issue is the amount of turnover on the D. Ward, Wallin, Corvo, Alberts out. Pothier, Picard, Carson, Rodney in.

I expect there will be some breakdowns and more work for Peters/Manny/Cam (when he returns) as they get it sorted out.

Seems obvious to me.

We are going much younger at forward (Boychuk, Sutter, Tilusty, Bowman?) and need to reinforce that with a more solid defensive core.

I fully expect the majority of our money in the offseason to be spent on 1 top pairing dman and and 1 scoring forward (vet). When you look at that last of forwards (Bowman is a question mark to play for the big team next year) and what has left us, it looks like a much faster team next year.

Alberts\Walin\Walker\Ward\Yelle don't fit into that. However the complete lack of getting anything meaningful for Walks makes me think he may be the one that returns next year in a fourth line role to protect the youngsters.