The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
cc

Overall Trade results Grade?

I will make short and sweet.

Got rid of much UFA "baggage" with as much return as possible.  Makes sense with the retooling of the team with our Farmteam guys (who we got a chance to evaluate) next year. 

Whitney still here but was his call. (sinse he is my favorite I don't mind) The guys lobby for No trade clauses in lieu of $$$ ofr a reason.  His asset to use and he did.    To GM's-Don't give them out and then hold it against them.  IMO

I give JR a B+ overall

Inexcusable that Whitney wasn't traded. If the asking price was too high, then lower it. If Whitney turned it down, it's all on him. I'm sure he would have been open for some team. Great, now instead of getting a 1st rd pick, we'll get to keep him for an extra 3 weeks. Only Maurice could fail at failing. We have the most horrendous start ever headed for a top pick only to win games win they are meaningless, without any pressure, only to play themselves out of a high pick 

How many 1st round picks traded hands?  There is a reason for that.  Also no telling what JR and Whitney have already decided on for the future.  Lets wait a while before we Wail and Knash teeth and trust a little,  JR did what he could.  Next year is a rebuild with New guys on the move. Will certainly give the punditry plenty to feed on.laugh.gif

Inexcusable?  Ray didn't want to go.  He squashed the one deal that was out there.  You cannot blame the team for not trading him -- it wasn't in their hands.  You cannot blame him for not waiving his NTC.  He got it for a reason - it is his prerogative to stay.  By the way - Maurice has nothing to do with it, the GM make the trades.

If Rutherford has been able to move Whitney for a high 2nd rounder or better, I'd gladly give him an A+.

But the failure of any Ray Whitney deal ultimately leaves a bad taste on this rather successful trade deadline day.

If I factor out the Whitney trainwreck....his other moves go B+ for the day.

Now, the pressure is REALLY on Rutherford o resign Whitney at a home town bargain price for now more than 1 or 2 years. And NO MORE NTCS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I'll give JR   a  C+,  JR will not pursue any of the  players traded back for next year except maybe Cullen.  Like everyone else has stated this will give JR a good look at the players that have been constantly moved back and forth from Albany and I don't believe he has messed up the chemistry of the team that has us on a  6 game winning streak, just my 02 cents worth...wink.gif

So, I guess Legace stays, plays out the remainder of the year, and Peters is Cam's backup next year?

Plan on that happening, as well as Pete Dawg has played he has earned a NHL roster spot for next year.

For all those who are upset that Whitney was not traded:

Per Rutherford (Tweeted by Canes)

Rutherford: (Whitney) didn't want to go anywhere, quite frankly. The best interest for the organization was for him to finish season here.

Rutherford said only deal he took to Whitney was from a western conference team one month ago. Nothing today.

JR gives these out like candy. I was disgusted to read the only deal he took to Whitney was the Western Conf team a month ago. I bet a million dollars they were offered something in the last couple of days. 

You beat me to this cc, here'e my take:

Assuming the Canes have closed shop for the day, where are we now?

Draft picks for the 2010 entry draft: (let me know if I missed any existing from previous trades)

1 - 1st round pick (Canes own)

3 - 2nd round picks

1 - 4th round pick

1 - 6th round pick

1 - 7th round pick

Plenty of good ammo heading into the entry draft to move trade positions.  Another 1st would have been nice but three 2nd rounders ispretty good.

What we lost:

Nic Wallin - Love the guy but the kids are ready to step into his role.

Matt Cullen - the 2nd round pick is good but he's not easily replaced imo.  So far so good though and Sutter easily moves up a line.

Aaron Ward -The 4th round pick is an adequate return and filling his spot on theroster won't be any issue since he's mostly struggled this year.

Scott Walker- Good opportunity for Scotty to get a Cup, the 7th round pick was justgravy.  While he's been an asset when he's played, he's been out toomuch to be a difference maker and the team has played fine without him.

Joe Corvo- good return for what may end up being a very expensive UFA thissummer.  He's a unique player but the team has shown they can play wellwithout him.

Andrew Alberts- A 3rd rounder is a decent return but with only one more year and hismoderate salary, I might have kept him. But....if that 3rd rounder endsup being the difference in draft position, I'll be happy to eat mywords.

Stephan Yelle - Another guy that's played pretty well but can be replaced by youth. 

Overall, I think JR did as well as he could given that the whole RayWhitney situation was ultimately out of his hands.  We really haven'tlost any player that can't be replaced by the Albany kids with maybethe exception of Matt Cullen, but we'll need to see a few more games todecide what losing him may mean for the long run.   JR has done exactly what he's said he wanted to do by making this team younger and faster, and collected a bunch of draft picks to work with in the off season to rebuild the team.  Several of the Albany kids will now get their chance to audition for next season a couple of our vets have another chance at a Cup.

Its official....we've seen the end of Brind'Amour's Stanley Cup winning team and have now opened up the door for Eric Staal's team to start their new chapter in Cane's history.

Overall Grade of a C

Corvo Trade: B

Good trade with Washington to get Osala who I think will flourish here and Pothier who can finish out the year for us. The 2nd round pick though is in 2011, just means a longer wait for something to come from it and right now we have some holes.

Scott Walker Trade: D

Walker is very risky with his injuries but Washington needed toughness and grit and some playoff experience which they got. All we got was a 7th rounder and I know it frees up some cap space but I would have a preferred a body than that low of a pick.

Andrew Alberts Trade: D

Do not like this trade at all. Alberts is a young physical guy who can stand up for himself and provide some nasty on the back end. All he needed to be was a bottom pairing guy and hes done that just fine. His contract was good, he was cheap, he was everything we needed and the 3rd rounder doesn't do it for me here.

Stephane Yelle : B

Cap dump, get a guy to fill a spot in the minors in Lalonde, lose Harrison Reed but he hasn't panned out. Fine with me

Aaron Ward: B

Excellent, you get a 4th rounder, AHL goalie to replace Peters being up and get rid of this slow turd. Getting that for someone that was on waivers is a good deal.

Now heres the problem I have with not getting the Whitney trade to work out. The deal with the LA Kings was Colton Teubert and a 2nd rounder for Ray Whitney. Colton Teubert would have been perfect with this team. Tough guy with a mean streak and will drop the gloves left and right. Good young d-man could have been a big upgrade over anyone we got today plus the 2nd rounder. Not saying this is JRs fault but unhappy with Ray for not taking one for the team for a few months. Had this deal gone down they would have gotten a solid A and getting rid of Alberts would have been fine. Otherwise just so-so day basically clearing some money and creating space for some youngsters to come in.

You also lost two tough guys in Alberts and Walker with nothing to replace them. Gleason can't carry everyones jock-strap around and now the team toughness garbage doesn't fly either. You got the punching bag Kostopoulos and then Gleason who can take care of himself just fine but why should he have to miss ice time? You can't have a team of young guys, new guys, and soft guys because theres no cohesiveness there and nobody is going to take up for one another except Gleason. Needed an enforcer while this team undergoes this transition.

Overall Grade of a C

Corvo Trade: B

Good trade with Washington to get Osala who I think will flourish here and Pothier who can finish out the year for us. The 2nd round pick though is in 2011, just means a longer wait for something to come from it and right now we have some holes.

Scott Walker Trade: D

Walker is very risky with his injuries but Washington needed toughness and grit and some playoff experience which they got. All we got was a 7th rounder and I know it frees up some cap space but I would have a preferred a body than that low of a pick.

Andrew Alberts Trade: D

Do not like this trade at all. Alberts is a young physical guy who can stand up for himself and provide some nasty on the back end. All he needed to be was a bottom pairing guy and hes done that just fine. His contract was good, he was cheap, he was everything we needed and the 3rd rounder doesn't do it for me here.

Stephane Yelle : B

Cap dump, get a guy to fill a spot in the minors in Lalonde, lose Harrison Reed but he hasn't panned out. Fine with me

Aaron Ward: B

Excellent, you get a 4th rounder, Pogge an AHL goalie to replace Peters being up and get rid of this slow turd Ward. Getting that for someone that was on waivers is a good deal.

Now heres the problem I have with not getting the Whitney trade to work out. The deal with the LA Kings was Colton Teubert and a 2nd rounder for Ray Whitney. Colton Teubert would have been perfect with this team. Tough guy with a mean streak and will drop the gloves left and right. Good young d-man could have been a big upgrade over anyone we got today plus the 2nd rounder. Not saying this is JRs fault but unhappy with Ray for not taking one for the team for a few months. Had this deal gone down they would have gotten a solid A and getting rid of Alberts would have been fine. Otherwise just so-so day basically clearing some money and creating space for some youngsters to come in.

You also lost two tough guys in Alberts and Walker with nothing to replace them. Gleason can't carry everyones jock-strap around and now the team toughness garbage doesn't fly either. You got the punching bag Kostopoulos and then Gleason who can take care of himself just fine but why should he have to miss ice time? You can't have a team of young guys, new guys, and soft guys because theres no cohesiveness there and nobody is going to take up for one another except Gleason. Needed an enforcer while this team undergoes this transition.

Im glad Ray is staying! I don't care how old he is, he is playing outstanding hockey right now and has all year. I don't know why some people wanted him gone just because of his age and wanting to get younger but we got younger alright, he's 2 points behind Staalsy and that 1st line had been great. I hope we resign him too for another year or 2. Anyone who thinks Ray can't play and help this team is kidding themselves.

All the issues have been discussed in other threads but i just can't believe so many wanted ray to leave. i don.t feel this way at all because of sentimentality, but because of a players productivity. Without his production how good is our first line? He makes our first line dangerous. So if he's 37/38, who cares.Overall grade of B+ to A-, Moved those he should have and got decent return. Seems like some think we were going to get Parise or Heatley if we dealt RAY.

So we have:

N. Wallin (D), 35 (+5th rd '10) to San Jose ---> 2nd rd '10 (from Buf)

M. Cullen ©, 33 to Ottawa ---> Alexande Picard (D), 24 2nd rd '10

A. Ward (D), 37 to Anaheim ---> Justin Pogge (G), 24 4th rd '10 or '11 (from Bos)

S. Walker (F), 36 to Washington ---> 7th rd '10

S. Yelle ©, 35 to Colorada (+H. Reed (F), 22) ---> C. McNicoll ©, 21 future 6th rd

A. Alberts (D), 28 to Vancouver ----> 3rd rd tbd

J. Corvo (D), 32 to Washington ----> B. Pothier (D), 32; O. Osala (F), 22 2nd rd '11

Lots of factors besides age obviously, but clearly getting younger. We should have some $'s to get whatever else we are missing going into next year.

Overall, I am pleased the team is still amazingly intact except for the D. Our offense is finally scoring and the goalie situation feels pretty good. Only question is 3rd line D now.

I mourn the loss of Cullen most. Great team player. I was a big fan of Wallin, but it was time. I like Corvo, but we got a lot for him.

Nobody wanted Ray gone because they don;t like him or his productivity. He's an UNRESTRICTED FREE AGENT! He can walk to any other team in the NHL this summer, and the Canes get NOTHING in return.

I can't fathom why this is so hard to understand for so many people?

Nobody wanted Ray gone because they don;t like him or his productivity. He's an UNRESTRICTED FREE AGENT! He can walk to any other team in the NHL this summer, and the Canes get NOTHING in return.

Ray and his agent had some say so.  However, we got 7 picks and 3 prospects today.  If we are going to rebuild, not a bad day.

True, but hence the MAIN reason why Ray didn't waive his NTC,  

Rutherford: "(Whitney) didn't want to go anywhere, quite frankly. The best interest for the organization was for him to finish season here."

I'd put money on it that he retires a Cane and will take a hometown discount.

Overall, I rate it a C...Corvo and Alberts shouldn't have been dealt...the rest were ok. I'm happy that Ray is staying, but not happy that Legace didn't get traded.

Its not that we don't get the logic, it's that sometimes UFA's are worth trying to re-sign as a help to your team. If he does not sign here, then we won't have a 4th second round pick. OMG.

As I posted in the rumors thread, overall for the guys that were moved JR did a nice job of compiling picks, and if he really can parlay that into moving up the draft board, then it will all turn out well (just losing a few more games would turn out even better). BUT with that said, the really big opportunity was lost. That keeps me from giving anything higher than a "C".

Ray Whitney would have fetched a first round pick. He will now fetch nothing. I like Ray a lot, but he is an aging forward and unrestricted. This was a missed opportunity.