The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
cc

Overall Trade results Grade?

For now, I'm going with an A-/B+. Overall, JR moved almost all his UFAs and is saving a couple mil. The only trade that seems odd is Alberts - he definitely struggled early in the season (with the rest of the team) but seemed to be improving. For his salary he was a passable third line dman, and there really isn't much savings to be had here. It is another slot for growth though, and it seems that's what JR was looking for.

The Whitney situation I expounded on elsewhere, but JR sounds OK with things so I will trust him there. The fact that there is an NTC involved takes it out of JR's hands anyway.

Quite a day !

Listening to JR on this site and reading Droschak: Deadline Day: The Late Shift----on this site

it seems like the Canes Organization is as sad as I am right now. (It also seems like "some" of

the UFA's may be re-signed)

Overall grade----Incomplete

(remains to be seen how the season and off-season play out !! )

Hm, I'm not quite as pleased with some of the decisions as some of you guys...

Corvo <-> Pothier, Osala, 2nd round pick
We didn't get to know if there have been any contract talks with Corvo. If so, and Corvo pointed out he's not goin to sign an extension before July 1st, then I'd say this move is fine. If not, I really wonder what this move leads to. Pothier can't replace Joe Corvo under any circumstances, nor do we have a prospect to do so within the next 1 or 2 years. Osala maybe a career 3rd/4th liner, and a 2nd round pick may not be bad, but also not that great at all. I think JR should have tried to resign Corvo before the deadline instead of giving him away for a questionable return.

Alberts <->3rd round Pick
I thought Alberts was a solid D that finally brought some more physicality to the team. Also, he was at a reasonable salary and still not too old at all. I don't know why we would give up on him for a 3rd round pick...usually, this pick won't give us any better return than we already had in Alberts.

Yelle, Reed <-> McNicoll
Ok, I agree on that Yelle was a disposable player beconming UFA at July 1st, so any return we could get was better than nothing...so at the end, it comes down to Reed for McNicoll. In my opinion, that basically means we got an indifferent exchange (for I don't think McNicoll is any kind of imporvement over Reed) and we simply got "nothing" for Yelle. Overall a disposable deal, but at least it saves us a little bit of salary til the end of the season.
EDIT: Oh, forgot this 6th round pick. Well, "better than nothing" for Yelle, no more or less.

Walker <-> 7nd round pick
Well, the only reason I can imagine to do this is because of his actual salary. Walker is a great 4th line guy with great dedication to this franchise. He surely would have resigned this summer at a reasonable salary, and I don't see where a 7nd round pick could really help us any day to come. As said, I think this  move only happend for salary reasons and maybe to have something (a 7nd round pick) to sweeten a deal that moves us up in the entry draft.

Ward <-> Pogge, 4th rounder
Again, I think this is just for salary reasons. We surely got enough depth at goaltending with some very good prospects (Peters, Murphy), so Pogge won't improve us at this position. He may replace Peters in Albany if the latter is goin to backup Ward next season..something I don't agree with personally, as I still think it's better to have a Veteran backup (and don't waste young talent to sit on the bench like Leighton did). Well, that 4th rounder...is some kind of obsolete, yet maybe meant to be thrown in a draft deal to move up.

With all this being said, I'd like to add that I do like the deals before the olympic break. The Cullen deal is fine, as we got a young and promising guy in return that could have a long future with this franchise, and a 2nd rounder for the Swede is a decent return that puts us in a great position to move up in the draft.
But when it comes to yesterdays trades, I don't see too much positive things in there, adding to that Whitney couldn't be traded, who surely would have given us the best return.

Overall grade: D-  for March 3rd, C including the pre olympic trades)

Hm, I'm not quite as pleased with some of the decisions as some of you guys...

Corvo <-> Pothier, Osala, 2nd round pick
We didn't get to know if there have been any contract talks with Corvo. If so, and Corvo pointed out he's not goin to sign an extension before July 1st, then I'd say this move is fine. If not, I really wonder what this move leads to. Pothier can't replace Joe Corvo under any circumstances, nor do we have a prospect to do so within the next 1 or 2 years. Osala maybe a career 3rd/4th liner, and a 2nd round pick may not be bad, but also not that great at all. I think JR should have tried to resign Corvo before the deadline instead of giving him away for a questionable return.

Walker <-> 7nd round pick
Well, the only reason I can imagine to do this is because of his actual salary. Walker is a great 4th line guy with great dedication to this franchise. He surely would have resigned this summer at a reasonable salary, and I don't see where a 7nd round pick could really help us any day to come. As said, I think this  move only happend for salary reasons and maybe to have something (a 7nd round pick) to sweeten a deal that moves us up in the entry draft.

On Corvo, JR doesn't do contracts during the season so an extension wasn't going to happen.  JR didn't want to get in a bidding war so this kind of makes sense.  He can still be signed this summer so we get a prospect and a 2nd and still have the same opportunity to sign Corvo.

On Walker, sure he's a great character guy but 2.5 million is way too much for a 4th line guy.  His size and style have made him plagued him with injury.  This move gets a big thumbs up from me; Walker gets to play for a contender and we get salary relief.  Walker may be at the end of the road in the NHL and has never hoisted the Cup.  For me, this trade is more about rewarding a great foot soldier.

Don't under estimate the financial end of all the moves.  My rough math tells me that the team saved about 3 million in salary by making these trades (prorated for 1/4 the season since 20 games are left).  What does the average ticket sale net?  Figured at $50 a ticket, those savings are the same as selling 60,000 tickets.  It's still a business and even though Mr. K's pockets are deeper than ours, he probably doesn't want to lose $3 mil if he doesn't have to.

Edit: I guess the savings are about 2 mil.  I forgot to factor in the salaries of the cheaper players that will be filling in.  Still not shabby.  

Ray Whitney would have fetched a first round pick. He will now fetch nothing. I like Ray a lot, but he is an aging forward and unrestricted. This was a missed opportunity.

No, JR said he *wanted* a first round pick for Ray, not that he would get one.  Don't believe everything you read.  The only real fit with Ray would have been Boston or Pittsburgh.  Pit got their guy from Toronto and gave up nothing, and Boston said all along they wouldn't part with either of their first round picks.  I realize there was a deal with LA before the break, but they didn't want to re-sign Ray so can't really blame him there for vetoing that.

That being said, I think Ray simply didn't want to leave.  With his NT clause, he has that right.  He is aging, but unlike Brind'Amour, still producing.  My guess is JR signs him for 2 years at a discount, and there's nothing wrong with that either.

1. Bret Hedican
2. Cory Stillman
3. Doug Weight
4. Recchi
5.Cullen
6. Jokinen
7. Brindamour

Just to name a few.

JR has been honored by his peers as an executive as well.

My .02:

I think JR did a good job yesterday.  He was able to move 4 RFA's - 3 of which were over 35 years old - and got some return for them.

JR was able to stockpile draft picks in what is said to be a very deep draft year.  Plus, he now has the ability to either move up in the draft, or perhaps even trade for a 2nd first round pick.  Also, he got a goaltender for Charlotte in Pogge, as it is clear Peters will backup #30 next season. Their cap situation is greatly improved for now and also heading into the summer.

Corvo is really the only one I would have liked to try and re-sign, but he did end up getting a good deal for him.  A d-man to finish the year here (they will not re-sign Pothier), a good young prospect, and a 2nd round pick in 2011. 

All said, I give JR a solid B for yesterday's deals.  I think Walker could have fetched more than a 7th round pick, but that move looks to be a pure salary dump + he wanted to give Walker a chance at a cup.  I mean, Yelle pulled a prospect and a pick from Colorado? So that is the one I think JR could have done more with but I won't complain.

As for Whitney staying,  that is OK too.  Yes he is older but he is still producing, and will re-sign here at a discount.  He's a great team guy and still has a lot of skill. And he's both a fan favorite and a locker-room favorite. Also, it's obvious that JR was not blown-away by any offers for Ray - which to me means no one was ponying up a 1st rounder + for Whitney.

On the Walker trade: Here's two things to take into consideration....

1) Walker had a No-Trade-Clause. The ball was in his court. He WANTED to go play for a playoff team. During his interview yesterday, he sounded downright elated to be going to the Caps. Good for him. Remember, he does not own a Cup ring!

2) He was making a lot of money fora guy who was getting 4th line minutes and had barely played this year due to injury. Teams just arent going to give you a 2nd round pick for a guy with fewer points than most 3rd pairing defensemen, making over $2 million a season.

This trade was not made to improve the Canes....Rutherford made this one happen for the best interests of Scott Walker. Remember Wesley and Francis being traded to Toronto in the twilight of their careers?

A Minus for the deals...Five of the Seven players gone were quite likely not going to be back next year (exeptions being Alberts who was under contract and Cullen, who I expect to be back with the team next year).  Most of the guys who are gone are over 35 and we now have 5 picks in the top 100 for the 2010 draft, which is supposed to have a deep and talented group of players.  In addition to that, we have the hottest goalie in the AHL in Pogge (Kaiton says he will push Peters for the #2 spot), a monster winger in 6'4" 219 Lb Osala who is only 22 and showing a nice scoring touch (

)  (also showing a bit of a nasty streak  
)  , and McNichol is more of a project and a depth guy who certainly needs to add some size. 

We can use the picks to possibly move up the draft board for a higher #1 or stockpile a buch of good young players into the system.  Brindy will retire or be bought , we've opened a bunch of cap space with the trades, and saved about 2 mil.  Next year, we will be one of the youngest, fastset teams in the NHL and Raleigh will see a very exciting brand of hockey (albeit with some growing pains). 

Whitney stays for some stability in the locker room, our #1 line stays intact (who, have been playing pretty well recently, if you haven't noticed), and this team is ready to roll for 2010-2011. 

I'm ok with the trades, except for Alberts.  I am still scratching my head on that one.  He was young, cheap, and captured for the next year at an affordable rate. 

I'm ok with the trades, except for Alberts.  I am still scratching my head on that one.  He was young, cheap, and captured for the next year at an affordable rate. 
I'm a little lost there too.  The only way it makes sense is that JR thinks there are cheaper alternatives as third pairing guys.  I liked how Alberts has been playing lately and the price was right.  I don't know...

I did hear JR say(yesterday) that a couple of players that were delt today, could be resigned in the off season! So who knows?

[quote name='nhbeast wrote:

remkin']Ray Whitney would have fetched a first round pick. He will now fetch nothing. I like Ray a lot, but he is an aging forward and unrestricted. This was a missed opportunity.

No, JR said he *wanted* a first round pick for Ray, not that he would get one.  Don't believe everything you read.  The only real fit with Ray would have been Boston or Pittsburgh.  Pit got their guy from Toronto and gave up nothing, and Boston said all along they wouldn't part with either of their first round picks.  I realize there was a deal with LA before the break, but they didn't want to re-sign Ray so can't really blame him there for vetoing that.

That being said, I think Ray simply didn't want to leave.  With his NT clause, he has that right.  He is aging, but unlike Brind'Amour, still producing.  My guess is JR signs him for 2 years at a discount, and there's nothing wrong with that either.

See my post in the Lets Keep Whitney thread. We know we could have gotten a second rounder and a solid prospect. Nic Wallin fetched a second rounder. Can't compare Whitney to Brind'Amour now. It's exactly the next few years that will compare to Brind'Amour's decline.

[quote name='remkin wrote:

nhbeast wrote:

remkin']Ray Whitney would have fetched a first round pick. He will now fetch nothing. I like Ray a lot, but he is an aging forward and unrestricted. This was a missed opportunity.

Can't compare Whitney to Brind'Amour now. It's exactly the next few years that will compare to Brind'Amour's decline.

IceFrog used to use that same crystal ball.

[quote name='coastal_caniac wrote:

remkin wrote:

nhbeast']

Can't compare Whitney to Brind'Amour now. It's exactly the next few years that will compare to Brind'Amour's decline.

IceFrog used to use that same crystal ball.I'm not sure if you are agreeing with me or not. Whitney is just now moving into the age where Brind'Amour started to decline. He may or may not do it, he may be the exception to the rule. Only those saying he will NOT decline are making a prediction. I'm saying I don't know but the odds favor a decline based on historical norms.

[quote name='remkin wrote:

coastal_caniac wrote:

remkin']

IceFrog used to use that same crystal ball.
I'm not sure if you are agreeing with me or not. Whitney is just now moving into the age where Brind'Amour started to decline. He may or may not do it, he may be the exception to the rule. Only those saying he will NOT decline are making a prediction. I'm saying I don't know but the odds favor a decline based on historical norms  Gotcha.  I didn't get your comparison the first time. All I'm saying is you would need a crystal ball to actually know when father time will catch up.  It will happen, no doubt.  My money is on Whitney having one more year at the level he is playing now.  That's why I like the idea of a one-year contract.

I'm not sure when Whitney's skills will start to erode, but what I do know is that he is at the age that almost all athletes in all sports see a dramatic decline in skill and production.  To not take that into consideration would be irresponsible.  There are those here that somehow know that Ray has 3 good years left.  My rose colored glasses don't let me see that.  Sports history is littered with guys that reached that age and their performance fell off.  There are a few, and I mean a very few instances where a player can hold off father time until the age of 40.

One year deals with a NTC if Ray wants.