The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
Dukefan711

Who Fills Walker/Alberts Void?

I like Boychuk better from what I have seen. I think he's more ready to compete at this level. Last time up there was no hesitation in his game and I thought more NHL ready. But yeah no void to fill for walker, been out too long.

If I were GM, I would want my 4th line/3rd D pair to be a mix of mostly up-and-comers with one or two veterans in the mix to add experience and mentor the younger guys. The forwards would be capable of playing PK time and provide energy and physicality (aka "grit", "jam", etc.). Prototype is a guy like LaRose.

Too many veterans in this group makes you more susceptible to injury - either theirs or the guys ahead of them when the vets need to move up but can't keep up. You also end up with too high a payroll. Both of these have happened to the Canes in the last couple of years. Specific to Wallin and Alberts, they were on the upper end of the salary scale for this group - Wallin $1.7 mil and Alberts is at $1.3 mil next year ($800 K this year). If you look at forwards, Brindy ($3 mil) and Walker ($2.5 mil) are very overpaid. I would want to keep this group at $1 mil max per player, maybe a bit more for the D.

There are benefits to going this way, which is what JR was hoping for this year. If you mix good chemistry with few injuries in this situation, you are looking good. It didn't work for the Canes this year.

Now, we can evaluate Pothier and Picard and some more Rats and start planning for next year. I suspect we will keep Picard and not Pothier, and add a free agent while bringing up Carson and Rodney. We may keep Pothier if he fits in well, with this lineup we would be lacking depth.

Sorry if that was a bit longer answer than you were looking for, your question just got me thinking. smile.gif

How was he actually as a Cane?
Most of us were pretty surprised to see him traded, and wish he'd stayed.  He started off a little rough, but after learning the system and gelling with his new teammates he started playing really well.  He lead the team in hits and plus/minus for a while and was a consistantly solid d-man, worthy of the top-two line.

I'd give him some time, I guess he'll repeat the process there, too.  Again, I wish he'd stayed here because I really liked what he brought to the team.

[quote name='jb_online wrote:

austeane']How was he actually as a Cane?

Most of us were pretty surprised to see him traded, and wish he'd stayed.  He started off a little rough, but after learning the system and gelling with his new teammates he started playing really well.  He lead the team in hits and plus/minus for a while and was a consistantly solid d-man, worthy of the top-two line.

I'd give him some time, I guess he'll repeat the process there, too.  Again, I wish he'd stayed here because I really liked what he brought to the team.I don't know jb, top two?   What I liked about Alberts was that he was big and physical.  The Canes aren't a big team so he added some toughness to the back end.  IMO, he was a solid 3rd pairing guy who like jb_online said,  once he found his game played fairly consistently which was no small feat with the way this team played the first half of the season.  His trade was a head scratcher to me too, especially after trading Wallin and AWard but after seeing what the kids from Albany have added, he probably became expendable to open up a roster spot and save some money.

I think we already have our new Walker: K-Stop. He's going to play 3rd/4th line and he's physical and will go into the corners and score 5-10 goals per season. He's basically a younger version of Scotty.

As for Alberts, I'll say that while we don't necessarily have anyone that has his size, we have PLENTY of 3rd pairing d-men on this team: Harrison, Rodney, etc. I think it would likely behoove us to try and get one more top 4-dman and move someone else down to 3rd pairing (Pothier maybe?) rather than put more 5/6 guys on this team.

I don't know jb, top two?   

What I should have said was he was worthy of a top two defensive lines (being 3rd or 4th overall) - at the time of the season in which his stats and play was a it's peak.  My mistake.