The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
remkin

MO, LETS KEEP HIM!!!

I did not know they were getting rid of him. I think he is safe
They aren't getting rid of him.  Mo is just what we argue about around here when we have nothing else to do.  It keeps us off the streets.  When things start going bad, we get out our anti-Mo pitchforks and torches.

I think remkin is just tired of talking about Whitney and decided to bring everyone back to what is really important! jestera.gifwink.gif

After 9 season of mediocrity, with the exception of one SCF appearance, I wasn't just happy to see him replaced, I was ecstatic.

Now tell me, when Laviolette took over, and won the cup, did we think Maurice was a bad coach? I think so.

So, the team is on a good streak, beat some good teams. But, where I'm looking, The Canes are still 26th in the league, and their chances of making the playoffs are slim to none. They're 25th in the league in Goals Against, and 24th in the league in Team plus-minus . Does this happen if the coach is bad? Hell Yes.

The Canes have average talent? This is news to me. They have Staal and Ward, more than what about half of the teams in the league can say right now, and they were injured for a good portion of the season.
Not only were Staal and Ward injured---I have kept some personal stats---there has not been a game this season where we

were free of injured players. Ten players have had substantial long term injury (Six of the ten have been in our "younger" players.)

We can't blame the coach if half of the team is only able to play part of the season. I know injuries are no excuse.

Just stating facts.

(The great Wings are fighting mightily right now, to just make the playoffs, for the same reason---not Coach Babcock's

fault)

I am not a Mo hater or a Mo enthusiast. But I am pretty certain JR plans to keep him.  dry.gif

The Canes have average talent? This is news to me. They have Staal and Ward, more than what about half of the teams in the league can say right now, and they were injured for a good portion of the season.
Isn't that about the definition of average? I didn't say Oiler talent. The view from the bottom can get a bit skewed. As you know we've been there.

[quote name='remkin wrote:

Keith_The_Great']The Canes have average talent? This is news to me. They have Staal and Ward, more than what
about half
of the teams in the league can say right now
and they were injured for a good portion of the season.

Isn't that about the definition of average? I didn't say Oiler talent. The view from the bottom can get a bit skewed. As you know we've been there.

Heh, nice shot you gave there. But as a previous poster pointed out, injuries have seriously hampered your season. Take it from a guy whose team is without their #1 goalie and #1 forward. It's not easy to come back from. Injuries tend to snowball until it gets out of control. This is still a team with a core that won the Stanley Cup only 4 years ago, and they're not going to go away quietly. If the Canes were healthy from the get-go they'd probably be at least 6 or 7 spots higher than they are right now.

[quote name='remkin wrote:

Keith_The_Great']

The Canes have average talent? This is news to me. They have Staal and Ward, more than what
about half

Umm, we may have won a few games but we're not exactly out of the cellar yet.  No need to kick em' when their down, we could easily join them again at any time.

[quote name='TSA wrote:

remkin wrote:

Keith_The_Great']The Canes have average talent? This is news to me. They have Staal and Ward, more than what
about half

Isn't that about the definition of average? I didn't say
Oiler
talent. The view from the bottom can get a bit skewed. As you know we've been there.

Umm, we may have won a few games but we're not exactly out of the cellar yet.  No need to kick em' when their down, we could easily join them again at any time.

Ha, that's funny.  Didn't I notice a whole thread about this very topic?  Something about the "Race For the Number One Pick" or something like that.  If it's fair game there then why not here?  Just sayin is all....

Its funny how polarized this crowd is on just about everything - Brindy, Whitney, Leighton, the list goes on.  Why should Mo be any different?  Either you are willing to give him some credit or you are in the MO MUST GO camp.  

[quote name='coastal_caniac wrote:

TSA wrote:

remkin']Isn't that about the definition of average? I didn't say
Oiler
talent. The view from the bottom can get a bit skewed. As you know we've been there.

Umm, we may have won a few games but we're not exactly out of the cellar yet. 
No need to kick em' when their down
, we could easily join them again at any time.

Ha, that's funny.  Didn't I notice a whole thread about this very topic?  Something about the "Race For the Number One Pick" or something like that.  If it's fair game there then why not here?  Just sayin is all....

Its funny how polarized this crowd is on just about everything - Brindy, Whitney, Leighton, the list goes on.  Why should Mo be any different?  Either you are willing to give him some credit or you are in the MO MUST GO camp.  Well.. even that thread ceased from being trash talk when we started winning and they kept on losing.  Doesn't seem so fun when only one of us is still hitting rock bottom, but it was fun when we were both down.   Just wanted to put out the reminder that we haven't exactly climbed out of the cellar yet ourselves.

What's even more funny about how polarized this crowd is on so many issues is the fact that some will absolutely beat to death a topic with their point trying to change other people's opinions.  It's a never ending predictable repetitive cycle.

He's not bad. Sometimes it's not just the coach, but the whole team. Besides, he's a really nice person. If you have been at RecZone, you'll know.

[quote name='TSA wrote:

coastal_caniac wrote:

TSA']Umm, we may have won a few games but we're not exactly out of the cellar yet. 
No need to kick em' when their down
, we could easily join them again at any time.

Its funny how polarized this crowd is on just about everything - Brindy, Whitney, Leighton, the list goes on.  Why should Mo be any different?  Either you are willing to give him some credit or you are in the MO MUST GO camp.  
Well.. even that thread ceased from being trash talk when we started winning and they kept on losing.  Doesn't seem so fun when only one of us is still hitting rock bottom, but it was fun when we were both down.   Just wanted to put out the reminder that we haven't exactly climbed out of the cellar yet ourselves.

What's even more funny about how polarized this crowd is on so many issues is the fact that some will absolutely beat to death a topic with their point trying to change other people's opinions.  It's a never ending predictable repetitive cycle.

Maybe your right, but I think the Oil fans that have hung around for awhile know when to take one for the team, so to speak.  It's all good.  So you must not be in the playoff camp?

No one on this board could ever be accused of beating a topic to death, LOL. 

[quote name='coastal_caniac wrote:

TSA wrote:

coastal_caniac']

Well.. even that thread ceased from being trash talk when we started winning and they kept on losing.  Doesn't seem so fun when only one of us is still hitting rock bottom, but it was fun when we were both down.   Just wanted to put out the reminder that we haven't exactly climbed out of the cellar yet ourselves.

Maybe your right, but I think the Oil fans that have hung around for awhile know when to take one for the team, so to speak.  It's all good.  So you must not be in the playoff camp?

No one on this board could ever be accused of beating a topic to death, LOL. Not us.

deadhorse.gif

Count me in the keep category.  Mo is pretty good at knowing what he has in a given situation and making adjustments as circumstances warrant it.  With those skills, he is the best choice at present for our rebuild mode.  It won't take us long.

if he can get this win steak to 14 to cancel out the 14 game losing steak that we had with the same players we went so deep in the playoffs with then ill say keep him, other than that mo must go
We've dealt too many people to probably accomplish that.  However, with what we have left and without Wardo, we are doing pretty good.

Mo needs to stay until the moment that Ron either declares himself ready and willing to be the head coach, or says "No, I'm never going to take the job, it isn't what I want to do."

Mo is a placeholder until the internal development process for Coach Francis is finalized.

Mo will always be on the wrong side of the stick but it's nice to see that people are willing to give him some credit for bringing the team around.

From Pothier hopes to be part of something special (N&O)...

[...] 'The start this team had is unfortunate. We played against them andthey didn't play poorly. They were hitting posts and just the onemistake they made was a goal. It was just a crazy situation for themwhere every mistake they made came back to bite them."

And now?

"They're working hard and creating their own breaks and they'replaying smart," Pothier said. "
You could tell from the very first daythey're very well coached
. It's a really hard team to play against."[....]

Taken with a grain of salt from a current player, but interesting to hear him say that.

[quote name='TSA wrote:

remkin wrote:

about half

Isn't that about the definition of average? I didn't say
Oiler

This would be the best thing possible, bring on Taylor Hall and move all of our other picks up, though in all reality we probably have a better chance of making the playoffs than catching the Oilers at this point.

I think I need to use more of those smiley faces. I would have maybe put this one at the end wink.gif. Keith the Great has developed a great reputation of some good natured ribbing about the whole last place thing and mine was meant in that spirit. Sorry if it did not come across that way. I figured since we were still in 27th it wouldn't be that obnoxious.

The injury thing simply does not cover the whole story. Yes, we had injuries, but we lost 12 in a row with a team that was arguably the #3 team in the league from the year before. Similarly, yes we are pretty healthy now but we don't have our star goalie, and we've traded Cullen and Corvo and Walker amoung others. We have new faces and minor leaguers and 3rd string goalies and we're 9-1? Just saying, why is that? Does this current team have 9-1 talent?

Clearly no team has 9-1 talent, but right now we have average talent. So why are we 9-1? We are playing a strong team game just like the end of last year. Who's job is it to get them playing as a team? The Mo must go chants were deafening earlier, just thought I'd see what people are thinking now.

IMO a team could not recover from where this team was without motivation of some sort and better than average coaching. Not just from Mo but across the board. Look at all the things that have shown marked improvement;Penalty killing/Francis?;Defense/Rowe; goaltending/Barasso;Overall team approach/MO. I think all these guys have done outstanding jobs to help this team recover and build the winning attitude back into the plan. Tweaking at pro levels is more difficult than overhauling, and is what seperates the men from the boys.