The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
AWACSooner

What on earth is Colin Campbell waiting for? Suspend him!

Because its THE topic at the GM meetings right now and with the new CBA up for renewal soon, this hit might actually be the hit that forced changes and made the league/players union create a policy on the headshots once and for all.  All of the big wigs are finally speaking up and influential players like Sidney Crosby are demanding the league finally take a stance one way or another and set a clear policy.

Just my 2 cents but I think that this hit, regardless of the punishment Cooke gets (if any) could be the turning point on this issue.  At least I hope so.

Edit: Per Darren Dredger:

Break out sessions today. more discussion on head checking along with some other unique topics.

NHL's head checking group will submit a proposal to gm's that includes an additional penalty for shoulder to the head.

Poll on TSN:

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/

From Bob McKenzie: 

GM's to make recommendations on head shots Wednesday

I think that we can expect on Wednesday that there will be a veryspecific recommendation by the NHL general managers on the issue ofhead-shots in the game.

It is not that the league's GMs are looking to try and take hittingout of the game, but what they are looking to eliminate are the"blind-side" hits; checks that are coming from the side or from behindand delivering a shoulder and delivering it directly to the head of anopposing player.  They are trying to get rid of the exact type of hitsthat we have already seen this year, think of Mike Richards hit on David Booth or more recently Matt Cooke's hit on Marc Savard.

Those types of hits are the kind that the National Hockey Leaguewants their officials to be able to penalize with a two or a fiveminute penalty and wants Colin Campbell to engage in supplementarydiscipline.

On top of that, the league is still discussing what is the exactdefinition of "a late hit" in terms of when it is being applied to anopponent's head. 

http://www.tsn.ca/blogs/bob_mckenzie/?id=313216

And from Jim Rutherford:

NHL.com: Will there ever be a clear-cut answer to the question of regulating hits to the head?

Rutherford: It's an issue that we'll continue to talk about.When you look at, it's not as cut and dry as we all think -- otherwiseyou'd be calling a penalty every shift. It's the big hits we're talkingabout here, where guys are getting hit in a vulnerable position.There's where we have to narrow it down to. We'd all like to try andfix this issue to eliminate the injuries but, really, you have tocontinue to look at it and have a lot more discussion so that we can dosomething to fix part of the problem. I don't think there's guarantee,but I do think we've talked about this for a long period of time, sowe'd like to see something done (during the three-day GM meetings). Butwe have to make sure that when we do something, it's right.

NHL.com: Can you describe what it means for a player to be in a "vulnerable position?"

Rutherford:Vulnerable positions aren't only when you don't see the guy coming atyou or from the side. You're in a vulnerable position when you're alongthe boards and the glass too. In fact, that's where a lot of themhappen.

Here you go:

"No suspension for [the Flyers' Mike] Richards. No suspension forCooke. ... [Campbell] said if this hit happens next season it is asuspension. And if it's a repeat offender like Cooke, the suspensionwill be stiffer again."

I cant even respond to this right now. angry.gif

While I agree in theory TSA, I disagree in this case. If they suspended Cooke they'd be accused of changing the rules mid-season, and consistency has to be a big part of rules enforcement. Of course, Richards should have been suspended too, but that's another story. I do think Cooke's hit was more blatant, though. Thankfully, this is being addressed for next season, let's hope it will be enforced.

Oh I agree, it would definitely make things worse to suspend one and not the other.  What angers me is the fact that they should have had this policy in place for this season.  Basically they're saying we know both these hits are bad and need to be punished but because we sat idle on this issue too long, another player most likely has sustained a season ending head injury.

You're right though, better late than never, I give them props for finally drawing a line in the sand.

Such idiocy. Cooke has been a dirty piece of trash since his career began. I hope the Bs or any NHL team take exception to this nonsense and run Cooke through.
Absolutely, since the league won't address it, they've now passed it off to the players to settle because Cooke shouldn't be able to end someone else's season and walk away with no accountability.

It was interesting hearing Brian Burke's take on this today.  He said when they talked about which players were would be the ones around the league that would ultimately have to pay the price next season for playing dirty, he said that handful of players was pretty small.   Meaning, the ones who play dirty, play dirty consistently and become repeat offenders, and they're allowed to become repeat offenders because it rarely costs the team anything of consequence.  If a team has to now play down a man for 5 minutes, the cost is too great to the team now.

I don't get JR's, "it's not as not as cut and dry as we all think". If you deliberately go for a guy's head it will be a major/match penalty. Period.

Seems like everytime the NHL is presented with an opportunity to send a message, they flub it. This is no different.

You know your league is a joke when inappropriate comments (Avery) garners more action than a concussed star player. This is why your league is losing, Bettman! Stupid decisions.

But hey, at least Pittsburgh is back, right?

I don't get JR's, "it's not as not as cut and dry as we all think". If you deliberately go for a guy's head it will be a major/match penalty. Period.
I've never understood why it's so complicated.  A player has to maintain control of his stick at all times and if it strikes an opponent's head, it's high sticking.  Why is a player's body and different from a stick?

I've said it before, but safety became a much bigger issue for NASCAR when it's biggest star was killed.  Is the NHL going to wait for the same motivation?    

Since it's not suspend-able, Julien should line Thornton up against Crosby from the very first shift he takes and tell him to run him until he lands on a stretcher the same way Savard did.

Since it's not suspend-able, Julien should line Thornton up against Crosby from the very first shift he takes and tell him to run him until he lands on a stretcher the same way Savard did.
You wouldn't believe how many Bruins fans I've heard that from.

Cooke was asked if he would be a marked man now. He replied:   “I don’t know if it’s any different than it was before.”

It's disappointing there was no suspension for Cook but at least now it's being addressed for the future. 
I thought that too until I paid more attention to the ruling the GM's made yesterday.  It was very specific only to lateral blindside hits.  So this means that if a guy lines you up and comes at you hitting your head directly with the shoulder/body, its a legal hit. 

The example used was the Weight hit on Sutter.   They liked this hit because the responsibility of the hit was not on Doug Weight for hitting Sutter directly in the head, but on Brandon Sutter for having his head down.   I have a kid who plays hockey and I get the whole keeping your head up and always being aware of who's around you but if Doug saw his head down, which he admitted he did, why isn't it his responsibility to make the hit lower than the head?

They're so afraid of taking the hitting out of the game that they only made lateral hits punishable.  I can hear it now..."but he was coming in from angle, not directly from the side."  Not sure I like this new resolution any better but I guess it will make the worst offenders a little more accountable.

http://www.boston.com/sports/hockey/bruins/extras/bruins_blog/2010/03/bruins_express.html'>

Bruins express disappointment over non-suspension

Globe staff

On Sunday, after Matt Cooke leveled Marc Savard with a blind-side head shot, the sentiment around the Bruins dressing room was that the NHL would address the issue via suspension.

No dice.

"I thought it warranted something," Shawn Thornton said. "I really don't know what to say. I'm taken aback, to tell you the truth."

By not issuing a suspension, the NHL set up next Thursday's rematch at TD Garden in which Cooke will be eligible to play. After knocking out David Booth, Mike Richards had to answer the bell. First, Florida captain Bryan McCabe challenged Richards to a fight. Then Booth, in his first game back against the Flyers, took on Richards, who accepted both fights.

Claude Julien, citing Steve Moore's lawsuit stemming from the Todd Bertuzzi incident, declined to comment on whether Cooke might have to answer for his actions on Thursday.

"I think there's already a multimillion-dollar lawsuit ongoing in the NHL right now for what was deemed just that," Julien said. "As a coach, you can't have any part of that. You've got to let the league take care of the decision they think is right. All you can do is move on as a coach and focus on your team."

[...]

The example used was the Weight hit on Sutter.   They liked this hit because the responsibility of the hit was not on Doug Weight for hitting Sutter directly in the head, but on Brandon Sutter for having his head down.   I have a kid who plays hockey and I get the whole keeping your head up and always being aware of who's around you but if Doug saw his head down, which he admitted he did, why isn't it his responsibility to make the hit lower than the head?

They're so afraid of taking the hitting out of the game that they only made lateral hits punishable.  I can hear it now..."but he was coming in from angle, not directly from the side."  Not sure I like this new resolution any better but I guess it will make the worst offenders a little more accountable.

The whole head down argument is starting to sound more and more ridiculous every time I hear it. Starting to just sound like more macho jock BS, frankly. The same attitude permeated NASCAR until Earnhardt was killed (of course they recently re-introduced that attitude with the no call on Edwards). If the NFL can clean up their act I don't see why hockey can't. I like a good hit and a clean fight as much as anyone but you have to draw the line somewhere before someone gets seriously messed up.

Here's an article that perfectly states the stupidity of the new proposed change:

http://sportsillustrated....eadshots.rule/index.html

I love this part as well:

Then there was the standout "see no evil" ruling during last spring's Stanley Cup Final. Evgeni Malkin of the Penguins, the player who won the Conn Smythe Trophy as playoff MVP, started a fight with 19 seconds left in Game 2. It wasn't a "heat of the moment" bout. He came a long way and tracked down his opponent to goad him into it. Under the rule, if a player instigates in the final five minutes, he not only gets a fighting major, but a one-game suspension -- unless, of course, as the rule states, the Director of Hockey Operations reviews the matter and rules otherwise.

That's exactly what Campbell did. He declared that Malkin did indeed start the fight, but it was not exactly noteworthy (or words to that effect) and therefore no suspension was warranted. Malkin played in Game Three and the Pens, who had lost the first two at home, went on to win the series. Casual fans were shocked and amazed. Hardcore fans recognized it for what it was -- the protection of a star player -- and accepted it along the lines of "what else is new?"

Malkin is another punk on that team who should've gotten the gate for a game last season.  I've been waiting all season for him and that thug Ovechkin to get their collective heads bashed in for the dirty hits they've dished out in the past...I guess I'll have to wait awhile longer.

I'm going to stop blaming the league for its inaction because they've proven time and time again that they are impotent good-for-nothings. I'm going to start blaming the GMs and the owners. They can dictate to the league if they wanted; they can force change. With that...

There are too many who color with "pale pastels." We need bold colors. The GMs and owners more than owe it to their players to take care of them all. Maybe Jimmy Rutherford and the Karmanos family should start hearing it from us? Maybe a little more pressure on them would do some good?

From Yahoo's Puck Daddy blog: Video: Don Cherry calls Cooke 'gutless' poster boy for NHL critics

Several cheap shots from Cooke included in the video below (starts at ~2:00), including the one against Cole last year. And this:

"Last year in the playoffs against Carolina, I met him in the hall. Or he met me in the hall ... and he said to me, 'Are you gonna have the guts to say to my face what you say [on] TV?' And I said 'yeah' about six inches from his face: 'You're a gutless, backstabbing little ...,' and I can't say what I called him."

I have to say, I agree with what Cherry is saying here. The more I see of this and think about it, a chance to send a message may have been missed. I knew Cooke had a history but didn't realize it was this long or obvious. I just hope they get this resolved before someone else is hurt worse.

Ovie has done it again. This time, he sent Brian Campbell head first into the boards. He got a game misconduct, which was his 3rd of the season.

Ovie said, it was a slight push and he didn't think it would be much more than a 2 minute penalty. Last count, that would be 2 Boarding penalties and 1 knee on knee penalty, which caused him to earn a 2 game suspension.

Time for Colin Campbell to get some intestinal fortitude and bring down the hammer on Ovie and his rough house tactics before someone gets seriously injuried.

Here is the video of Ovie's hit on Campbell.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nhl/recap?gameId=300314004

Cooke, now Ovie. Enough is enough. Time for the league to let everyone know that intent to injure gets you suspended. Time for the league to

make sure it is enforced.

that was more than just a slight push, that was a clear shove into the boards.  to add insult to injury was his hand gesture after the hit.  if the NHL wanted to make a clear statement, they would postpone the start of the suspension until the start of the playoffs.

TSN has learned that despite this being Ovechkin's third game misconduct this season, he will not be suspended because the penalties were not assessed for the same infraction. His last game misconduct was handed out for a knee-on-knee hit on
of the Carolina Hurricanes.

Also, he has been cleared for his last game misconduct for boarding because it was assessed more than 41 games ago.

What a joke th_shakeshead.gif