The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
AWACSooner

What on earth is Colin Campbell waiting for? Suspend him!

Sad thing is, that hit from Ovie may result in this being the end of Campbell's season...

http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=521416

Wow, I just read that article.  Broken collar bone?  Broken ribs?  And OV says he was just giving him a little shove from behind?  ohmy.gif

Hearing is set for today at noon. 

We've all seen Ovechkin leave his feet many times to make a hit, and Cooke's blindsides...There have been way too many injuries to way too many good, decent (read fair play) players. 

Something has to be done to the likes of these goons.  I know the players association won't stand for it, but I think the league should punish the offending player with a suspension of a minimum of three games, with additional suspensions adding to additional time off the ice, regardless of type of hit.  If it's a major boarding, slew-foot, knee-on-knee, doesn't matter, if you're suspended once and get another suspension, then it's more games regardless of type of hit or time between illegal hits...  Three strikes in a season & you're out for remainder of season.  And make it bad on the team, they can't fill the vacated roster spot during the suspensions.  Something like this will give these dirty players something to consider while they line up their next victim in their sights.

Per Darren Dredger:

NHL is defining "boarding" now and in light of the severity of B.Campbell's injury, Ovechkin may face suspension.

I hate to sound so sarcastic about the league but the last time they "defined" head shots it allowed Cooke to walk away without any accountability.  Now they're "defining" boarding?   Don't they already have a rule in place for that one?  How about they just use the definition you learn starting as a young kid, "if you see the numbers or the red stop sign on a players back and you hit him, its boarding and its illegal.

Isn't the fact that OV has been cited for wreckless play with the intent to injure making a repeat offender with a noted history enough?  If it was some average player it would be.  The hole just gets deeper and deeper for this league.

I was watching the game when this happened and I don't think he should be suspended, he did something that 99 percent of players do everytime they are in that position, Campbell just happened to lose his balance and the fall was really hard. I don't think Ovechkin meant to hurt him, just to push him like he said. Not an ovechkin lover just don't think he deserves a suspension for this one. Maybe on top of the others, but the rules say that doesn't matter, which is kinda lame but they are rules and there written, so not much you can do about it.

I don't know...I've watched the clip a bunch and looks like OV gave him more than a little shove from behind.   OV was chasing Campbell at warp speed and Campbell had let up some because he was almost at the boards, simple physics tells you that it had to be more than just a shove because OV had to be going faster than Campbell.  Add to that, OV physically pushing him with his arms and Campbell didn't have a fighting chance to either try an avoid or brace himself for that hit from behind.  Maybe that's why the league is re-defining boarding right now because it could certainly fall under the same "blind sided hit" that the new head shot rule encompasses.  Getting an unsuspecting hit from behind is the ultimate blind side, is it not?

Looking at OV's reaction and hand gesture when he turned around and saw Campbell laying there obviously hurt, he looked like a kid who knew he just did something wrong and was going to get in big trouble.  Of course this is just my take.

The non-suspension of Cooke IMO was the worst decision I have ever seen the league make, and that's saying something considering some of the mindless things Campbell and company have done over the years. Matt Cooke is a KNOWN head-hunter who uses every part of his body to hit players and take them down. Yes, Ovie is also a repeat offender, but Cooke is the worst type that does nothing else BUT take the ice looking for big hits. I still cannot believe that they didn't suspend him for a lengthy period of time. I won't soon forget any of his flying elbows that he delivered/tried to deliver just in last spring's playoffs alone. He's a goon through and through.

After watching the video of Matt Cooke's previous dirty hits, I'm speechless. This is why I have to defend hockey to quite a few friends who are casual fans. Sad..................

In the end, it's a gutless and passive player's association who allow this to continue. If I'm an electrician, I'd want all the safety regulations afforded to me. The last thing I want to do is get fried in the line of duty. It's that simple. For the life of me, I can't understand why the majority of the players association don't take a stand and say "it's my career and post-hockey career at stake if I get rammed through with cheap shots and endure concussions".

With all the scientific research out now about the lasting effects of concussions (and multiple concussions when not yet recovered from that prior concussion), it is absolutely UNCONSCIONABLE that this is allowed. I did not see a fall in play in the NFL when hits to head were outlawed/banned. It seems as if the NHL is going the way of the Dodo bird here, and will eventual become extinct. If they continue to condone hits to head and cheap shots then they should just pack it up and pretend they are the Chiefs and let everyone have at it. "Putting on the foil, Coach!"

Apparently the NHL is feeling some moral pressure.  By not suspending Richards earlier in the year, they couldn't ethically suspend Cooke.  This created the now moral dilemma the league is obviously struggling with.  Passing the new head shot rule would have been for next season but what happens if when this hit occurs again before the rule goes into effect?  Add to that, the pressure to discipline the biggest star of the league for his reckless play (as called by the officials) and it makes the league look like fools for not taking a strong stance on this before this season even started.

So now, all of a sudden when players, GM's, coaches and fans are outraged with the Cooke decision...and fresh on the heels of OV's incident (notice there's no ruling on this yet), the league is going to try and push this new rule into effect asap?  I hate to be the conspiracy theorist but it sounds like they're deferring the attention away from OV so when they let him off the hook as a repeat offender they can say, "but we were able to get this new rule passed and in place way ahead of schedule just so we can protect our players and keep them all safe."

DREGER: NHL CONSIDERING 'BLINDSIDE' RULE BEFORE END OF SEASON

There has been tremendous reaction to the NHL's decision not tosuspend Pittsburgh's Matt Cooke for a blindside hit on Boston forwardMarc Savard.

That decision, made last Wednesday, was made on the same day theleagues general managers voted unanimously to recommend both a minorand major penalty, plus the potential for supplemental discipline, fora blindside hit where a player targets the head.

While the definition of this rule recommendation is specific to aneast-west hit, described as predatory, the purpose of the resultingpenalty is to protect future players from injury.

The NHL is now seriously considering the possibility of expeditingthe approval process to implement the rule before the end of thisseason.

Full Article from Darren Dredger

After watching the video of Matt Cooke's previous dirty hits, I'm speechless. This is why I have to defend hockey to quite a few friends who are casual fans. Sad..................

In the end, it's a gutless and passive player's association who allow this to continue. If I'm an electrician, I'd want all the safety regulations afforded to me. The last thing I want to do is get fried in the line of duty. It's that simple. For the life of me, I can't understand why the majority of the players association don't take a stand and say "it's my career and post-hockey career at stake if I get rammed through with cheap shots and endure concussions".

With all the scientific research out now about the lasting effects of concussions (and multiple concussions when not yet recovered from that prior concussion), it is absolutely UNCONSCIONABLE that this is allowed. I did not see a fall in play in the NFL when hits to head were outlawed/banned. It seems as if the NHL is going the way of the Dodo bird here, and will eventual become extinct. If they continue to condone hits to head and cheap shots then they should just pack it up and pretend they are the Chiefs and let everyone have at it. "Putting on the foil, Coach!"

Very good point re: the NHLPA. As I said in a previous post, the only thing I can come up with is macho BS. Combined with a healthy dose of "it can't happen to me, I'm too good" syndrome.

It's getting to the point the league will have to review questionable hits in Toronto during the game to decide how to proceed.  Its easy to look at slow mo's replayed a gumzillion times, its all together different when its you who is responsible for the call on the ice.

If I were Ovechkin or Cooke I'd keep my head on a swivel.

Ovechkin will be well protected by his teammates, Cooke will likely be left hung out to dry and to fend for himself.  All eyes will be on the Bruins game Thursday night though I doubt it'll live up to all its hype because the Bruins desperately need the two points.

Ovechkin will be well protected by his teammates, Cooke will likely be left hung out to dry and to fend for himself.  All eyes will be on the Bruins game Thursday night though I doubt it'll live up to all its hype because the Bruins desperately need the two points.

Ovechkin is not not the godfather.  boarding.gif 

[quote name='coastal_caniac wrote:

TSA']Ovechkin will be well protected by his teammates, Cooke will likely be left hung out to dry and to fend for himself.  All eyes will be on the Bruins game Thursday night though I doubt it'll live up to all its hype because the Bruins desperately need the two points.

Ovechkin is not not the godfather.  boarding.gif 

No, he is mortal. laugh.gif

The guys on Versus think Cooke will have to answer the call big time on Thursday.  They said the Bruins fans are in for a treat on Thursday after calling out the team for not responding.  Maybe I'm wrong (again), sounds like Thursday could be must see TV.

BTW, nice to have Versus back.

Cant believe we haven't critiqued this one yet:

This thread could end up being Colin Campbell's greatest hits laugh.gif

Cooke's teammates will be there for him, if needed.  That said, Boston, and Pittsburgh for that matter, need the 2 points. 

It'll be much ado about nothing.  There's a game to be played.  Someone will challenge Cooke.  They'll fight.  It'll be over.  

There's a lot of talk about the violence in hockey and all that -- but it is hockey, not golf.  No one wants to see cheapshots,

but things are occasionally gonna happen.  Has in the past.  Will in the future.  No need to go overboard on this issue.  The

GM's will take care of things.  

What goes around comes around.  Not a fan of that particular play but as long as Cooke is in the lineup this year look for more of the same.  Boston has all ready said as much.  I love the Canes, but the Pens-Bruins game will be on my TV Thursday.

Cant believe we haven't critiqued this one yet:

This thread could end up being Colin Campbell's greatest hits laugh.gif

No excuse. Absolutely indefensible. I thought Downie was done last year. Why the heck is he still in the league?