The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
jeromeo87

Pothier

I don't believe we just dump a guy because of his age (ala the wizard), we still need some veterans and experience in that locker room, it can't be all 20 some year old's. Potsie is pretty fast and knows when to jump in at the right time, unlike Corvo, Brian doesn't really turn the puck over but can still score from the blue line. If he continues to play outstanding as he's done since coming over than I wouldn't mind paying 2.5 a year if he keeps on playing like he is now and I think he will. Whatever the deal is, I just hope JR resigns him cause he seems to fit our system better than Washington's.

I know he hasn't been here that long, but I'd say he's earned a shot.  I think we'll have enough money to re-sign him, with all the new/young guys coming in... and I don't think 33 is too old to keep a stellar defensemen (it does take a while to peak), he's in his prime.  This is all coming from a fan, not someone with experience in GMing a winning team, of course, but I'd try to keep him.  Borer will need a full season in Charlotte (I love saying that) to get completely back to his form, I would think.

If Pitkanen ends up costing us too much in the future, we'd have Pothier there to eat up the minutes (he gets a LOT of ice time, and that reflects his value to the team IMO).  Also, I said it about Whitney, we are getting younger - this is true, but we shouldn't get rid of ALL our experienced vets.  I'm sure the new defensemen can learn a thing or two from Pothier, too.  And he works well with Gleason on the top line... there are just too many reasons to keep him here.  Pay the man, we've got the money.

I agree, but if we pay him 2.5 are we going to have enough $ to resign someone like Corvo? I do believe Pothier is way better defensively than Corvo is, but Pothier doesn't have that shot from the blueline. We NEED a heavy shot from back their. After not signing Babcuk, I think we really need Corvo back. I wouldn't mind a Babchuk return..just fyi..

The problem with Pothier is hes an injury waiting to happen with a history of concussions. Hes been a good d-man and probably could have been great but he hasn't made it near a full season since 05-06. Hes a good guy and is a good player when hes on the ice, the problem is keeping him healthy and its a risk if we keep him.

problem is keeping him healthy and its a risk if we keep him.

I understand what your saying, but its a problem keeping everyone healthy in today's NHL. He hasn't been like a David Tanabe when coming back from a few concusion's and just totally sucking and not producing at all.

[quote name='CaniacTillIDie wrote:

msgtcody']problem is keeping him healthy and its a risk if we keep him.

I understand what your saying, but its a problem keeping everyone healthy in today's NHL. He hasn't been like a David Tanabe when coming back from a few concusion's and just totally sucking and not producing at all.

He's had 4 concussions since '02 and a 65 game stint with post concussion 08-09. Tanabe never made 2.5 mil and his lack of production wasn't missed. We sign this guy for 2.5 and we got a gaping hole if he goes down again. 

This is bigger then, he pulls muscles and etc. I personally wouldn't play hockey again if I got a 3rd concussion nevermind 4.

Funny you say that legend.  In just a few games the STH's in front of us have gone bonkers over Pothier.   I mentioned the very same thing (the 4 concussions) to them last night and the fact I thought he was foolish to still be playing.  From the looks on their faces, you would have thought I just pushed their granny in the creek.

I like the guy and everything. Hell, he could have just packed it in after the trade.  He's been very good.  But signing him with his history seems foolish to me, but what do I know. 

Keep Pothier - he's been huge for us so far, much more than Corvo, I think.  As for his age...we need some vets.  If we resign anyone that has left, I'd say Cullen.  Even then, I'm redisent to bring back any players traded this season.  Build off what we have - it's been fantastic so far.  If we can use our assets for picks and for trading, we'll be in good shape.  The cap - I don't think we'll have trouble with that - it's not like we have two 9 mil players, or one for that matter.  

How many years left at 2.5 one way or two way? If not more than 1 or 2 years left....I say sign him, sign him now. If he is on a 2 way, sign him for sure.