The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
Whaler13

Thank You Carolina Fans!!!!

Welcome aboard.  I think you'll find most of the Cane's fans Whaler-friendly.  Not all have been on board since the relocation but many fans have followed the team since the Greensboro days.  We're used to having other NHL team jerseys in our arena since so many have moved from other markets to Raleigh at some point so you probably didn't stand out to folks.

You're in good company here, one of our admins is a Whaler fan from CT. smile.gif

Here's your goal horn, sorry you didn't get to hear in person:

http://downloads.hurrican...hl.com/audio/RBChorn.mp3

Welcome to the Caniac Nation!  I've been a fan of the Canes since my first Canes game in Greensboro, 1997, and a fan of the sport since a couple years prior to that (although I was just a kid, not even a teen).

I think there is a fine line between respecting or honoring the past and dwelling in it, from the organization's point-of-view.  I think they are going forward and don't put much focus on Hartford.  But they don't ignore the seasons there.  I think I can relate it to dating - when you move on, you don't talk about your last date to the new one... it's just a turn-off.  If they continuously focused on Hartford Whalers history, loyalty and whatnot a lot of the Caniacs and outside NHL fans looking in will say "Well if you like Hartford so much, why'd you leave."  Which would be bad for business and counter-productive.  It's like not letting the wound heal.  I don't necessarily agree, but that seems to be what they are doing.

It might be different if it wasn't such a far move, and also because they put a lot of energy in starting fresh in NC for the very reason of expanding the sport in a non-traditional area.  Which is working out with amazing results, by the way.  I'm really proud of that because, as you'll find out about us Caniacs, we LOVE the sport.

I don't know about the others you mentioned, but #9 is basically retired I think.  It's the same with Steve Chiasson's #3 - they don't give those #s out anymore.  But the RBC Center's rafters seem to be only designated to the Hurricanes and NC State Wolfpack players/teams.

I have read that the goal horn did come down to NC from Hartford as a continuing tradition and connection between the two organizations.  I like that fact a lot, myself.

I don't see any reason at all to criticize someone for their loyalty to a team, current or historical.  I doubt you'll find many down here who would disagree.  We as a fan-base are much more open to fans from other areas (whether they are opposing teams or historical).  It's a very friendly atmosphere here, which I wouldn't have any other way.  I seriously hope you bury the hatchet and allow yourself to enjoy the Canes as much as we do... we'd love to have you!!

Well said "jb_online".  I like and agree with your dating analogy.  I also agree that it is a friendly atmosphere down there.  Not just the fans in the arena but all the people in general.  Living in New England all my life I must say, regrettably, we are pretty much an unfriendly bunch up here.  By the way, you guys have a great arena there. 

I don't think I have a hatchet to bury.  I never disliked the players, fans, or even the ownership.  I understood why they moved.  Business is business.  It was just very difficult watching the team thinking "why couldn't this have been in Hartford?".  Really though, it is just another city.  I also have been a Cowboy fan all my life.  I have never been to Dallas.  Heck, I have never seen them play live.  If they were to move to another city I would still be a fan.  Why not with my hockey team?  As I am typing this I am realizing how dumb I may have been all these years.

Ironically, my daughter has been a Canes fan all her life.  She never knew them in Hartford.  She was an infant when they moved down there.  She has always enjoyed hockey and played a couple of years herself.  Her fav player is Cam Ward.  I had the pleasure of bringing her to her first NHL game a few years ago.  It was the Canes vs the Bruins up here in Boston.  For the record, I despise the Bruins.  Being in an arena with all that black and gold made me sick.  LOL.  The Canes won 5-2 or 6-2, not sure.  I really enjoyed watching them lose.

Tough loss tonight against those B's, eh?