The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
jeromeo87

Defensive Rant..

[quote name='djharley wrote:

TheBigKahuna wrote:

djharley']Well i will have to dissagree, he may be better at one end but definetly not the other end. Gleason is far better inthe d-end and so was Corvo, those 2 were our shut down d-men,..........

It's THOSE comments that are so laughably out of the ballpark, that I see it's pointless to even try and talk hockey with you. Corvo has NEVER been a shutdown defenseman....ever, in his career. What games are you watching?
laugh.gif

Have you ever heard of "AO" from the Caps,,go back and look at who shut him down last year..then get back to me,,,(you hockey god you!If you say so yourself!!)    Take a pill while washing down your own opinion!! and don't choke on it!!laugh.gifrolleyes.gif

You are correct. Ovechkin only scored a pathetic 11 points in 6 games against the Hurricanes last year.

We're talking about a 32-year old who didn't even start regularly killing penalties at the NHL level until midway through last season and has spent the vast majority of his career playing sheltered even strength minutes. But apparently one season in which he played decently defensively in a Top 4 role makes him a shutdown defenseman. 

[quote name='STS10 wrote:

djharley wrote:

TheBigKahuna']It's THOSE comments that are so laughably out of the ballpark, that I see it's pointless to even try and talk hockey with you. Corvo has NEVER been a shutdown defenseman....ever, in his career. What games are you watching?
laugh.gif

Have you ever heard of "AO" from the Caps,,go back and look at who shut him down last year..then get back to me,,,(you hockey god you!If you say so yourself!!)    Take a pill while washing down your own opinion!! and don't choke on it!!
laugh.gifrolleyes.gif

You are correct. Ovechkin only scored a pathetic 11 points in 6 games against the Hurricanes last year.

We're talking about a 32-year old who didn't even start regularly killing penalties at the NHL level until midway through last season and has spent the vast majority of his career playing sheltered even strength minutes. But apparently one season in which he played decently defensively in a Top 4 role makes him a shutdown defenseman. 

Isn't that how it's supposed to be,,you get better as you get older??So how is it any different for Pits,,,he hasn't even made it to that point yet,so how can someone say he is our best d-man?  

Come on guys! Chill pill! No need for name calling.

Gleason's the shut down guy on Ovenchicken. He's a beast. Corvo makes errors, but I'd take him back any time.

Oh yeah he had "A" nice pass...But overall the d-did not play well either. Our style of defense is just not working, we just let teams walk right into the zone and we backoff way to fast and early. We need to make them have to work the puck into the zone & not make it so easy for them to set up. JMO

I read enough on the first page to see that the majority has no clue why Pitkanen was brought here or what he can bring. All you need to know is this:

He is the first legitimate #1 defensemen this franchise has had.
His 6 goals, 39 assits in 64 games played, ranks him 9th in points in all defensemen (the 8 defensemen in front of him has played more games)
Currently his 45 points, is this teams highest scoring in a season by a defensemen
Averages 27:27 per game, puts him 17th among all defensemen

No he isn't the best defensivlely, but he isn't a liability in his own end either. His skating is ranked pretty high. Its not that he's lazy or looks like he isn't trying, his skating is fluid.

There is a reason James Duthie, Darren Dreger, and Pierre Lebrun said Pitkanen was the most sought after player in Carolina behind Whitney. An earlier example comes last night when Tripp commented on how Tampas coach, Tocchett, 'really likes Pitkanen'.

Another example, this coming from the Pens scouting report on him:

Joni Pitkanen –
From time-to-time you will hear coaches talk about how plus/minus rating can be a misleading statistic. Pitkanen’s minus-11 rating is a perfect example. Such a stat might indicate the Finnish rearguard is having a down season, but that’s just not correct. Nobody is seeing more ice time than Pitkanen’s 27:12 average time on ice. Pitkanen is on pace to set a new career high offensively thanks to his 38 points (5G-33A) through 56 games. He is six assists shy of tying his career high. When he is on his game, Pitkanen is as good a skater as any blueliner in the game. He also has a rocket shot from the point.

JR didn't bring Pitkanen in here to be some shut down defensemen. He brought him in here for him to do exactly what he is doing.

And no I'm not Pitkanen or any one in his family. I've just been following him since the Flyers drafted him. So I've got to watch him play alot and I've seen how much he has improved and will only get better.

I read enough on the first page to see that the majority has no clue why Pitkanen was brought here or what he can bring.

Thanks for sharing, perhaps you should read the rest of the thread before assuming we all have no clue.

I think there is some validity pushing stats but they are not a tell-all, just like a scouting report that talks about what Pits could do, when he is on his game. The guy is having a pretty good year despite our mediocre start, but he had as much a hand in our failures as he had in most of our successes. Praise and criticism go hand in hand because there is no such thing as a perfect hockey player.

I read enough on the first page to see that the majority has no clue why Pitkanen was brought here or what he can bring. All you need to know is this:

He is the first legitimate #1 defensemen this franchise has had.

I think that you are negating your argument above when you later state: "JR didn't bring Pitkanen in here to be some shut down defensemen."

Pit's is a top d-man. However, he needs to tighten up a bit defensively in order for me to grant him your crown. (Getting schooled by St. Louis is easy and he does it to the best, but Pit's inability to tighten up and prevent him from getting off the shot was pitiful).

When your offense if not geared to generating a ton of goals (not because of lack of talent but by coaching "systems") and the defense is allowing goals (due to occasional lapses because a legitimate #1 top defenseman is not preventing goals), then what's the point?

I have two words: Sandis Ozolinsh.

TheBigKahuna wrote:

djharley']Well i will have to dissagree, he may be better at one end but definetly not the other end. Gleason is far better inthe d-end and so was Corvo, those 2 were our shut down d-men,..........

It's THOSE comments that are so laughably out of the ballpark, that I see it's pointless to even try and talk hockey with you. Corvo has NEVER been a shutdown defenseman....ever, in his career. What games are you watching?
laugh.gif

Have you ever heard of "AO" from the Caps,,go back and look at who shut him down last year..then get back to me,,,(you hockey god you!If you say so yourself!!)    Take a pill while washing down your own opinion!! and don't choke on it!!laugh.gifrolleyes.gif

The more you "talk" the more apparent it becomes you know little to nothing about hockey.

[quote name='TheBigKahuna wrote:

djharley wrote:

TheBigKahuna']It's THOSE comments that are so laughably out of the ballpark, that I see it's pointless to even try and talk hockey with you. Corvo has NEVER been a shutdown defenseman....ever, in his career. What games are you watching?
laugh.gif

Have you ever heard of "AO" from the Caps,,go back and look at who shut him down last year..then get back to me,,,(you hockey god you!If you say so yourself!!)    Take a pill while washing down your own opinion!! and don't choke on it!!
laugh.gifrolleyes.gif

The more you "talk" the more apparent it becomes you know little to nothing about hockey.

Oh ok, I didn't know that "BIGKAHUNA" --MEANT "HOCKEY GOD" OR "SHOULD I SAY KNOW IT ALL"!! YOU GOT YOUR OPINION AND I GOT MINE.!!

Boys, please take this very vocal pissing contest off the boards and into PM. Hurling insults and one upping each other tells me that BOTH of you are probably guilty as charged as being an obnoxious fan to visiting opponents when the opportunity arises, regardless of what you both may purport to do on other threads.

TheBigKahuna wrote:

djharley']

laugh.gifrolleyes.gif

Oh ok, I didn't know that "BIGKAHUNA" --MEANT "HOCKEY GOD" OR "SHOULD I SAY KNOW IT ALL"!! YOU GOT YOUR OPINION AND I GOT MINE.!!

ACTUALLY, Corvo WAS used as a shutdown guy against guys like Ovechkin. It was Corvo's speed that allowed him to do so. IF you watch the games, thats really all Tripp and John talk about when the subject of Corvo comes up. They say how he was brought to Carolina as strictly an offensive defensemen, but became an offensive defensemen with shutdown abilities. Go back and watch highlights from last year.. You will see Corvo shutting Ovechkin down. I remember that very well.

[quote name='ohwell.gifjeromeo87 wrote:

djharley'].

ACTUALLY, Corvo WAS used as a shutdown guy against guys like Ovechkin. It was Corvo's speed that allowed him to do so. IF you watch the games, thats really all Tripp and John talk about when the subject of Corvo comes up. They say how he was brought to Carolina as strictly an offensive defensemen, but became an offensive defensemen with shutdown abilities. Go back and watch highlights from last year.. You will see Corvo shutting Ovechkin down. I remember that very well.

Yes he was----Corvo and Gleason were paired to shut down OV---always.

IMO we need to re-sign Corvo next year.   Corvo, Gleason and Pits with Carson & Mcbain and ? someone else on D

That is my hope !