The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
witchking-ch1

2010-2011 Offseason Moves - Play GM!!!

I don't want a single player over 30, except for Ray Whitney, and maybe Pothier. Move 'em all or buy 'em out - especially Brind'Amour, Samsonov and Cole. As for KStop, Rosie and Dwyer I have a 1 smurf rule. Two have to go. On D keep Joni and Pothier, don't bring Corvo back.

Also, we need a true enforcer or rugged 4th liner. The energy guy who picks up the team.

I say do almost everything necessary to get the number two pick- then we will either get Hall (1st line winger) or Seguin (better Matt Cullen). Im leaning towards Seguin, but thats for another topic.

Resign Pitkaten and Jokinen to identical in length contract extensions- they may take a discount to continue to play with each other

Offer Whitney a 2 year, 3.5 million deal. If he doesnt bite, let him walk

Offer Samsonov as trade bait

Ask Rod to retire- we signed the contract, and if he feels the need to fufill it, then so be it

Shop Dwyer and LaRose (get rid of one, pref Dwyer)

lines for next year (assuming my dream comes true and we get Seguin)

Jokinen-Staal-Whitney

Ruutu-Sutter-Cole

Bowman-Seguin-Boychuk/Tlusty

Samson/Osala-K-Stop-LaRose

With this we have three very good scoring lines, as well as a gritty energy line with some scoring promise

"Yes, that was an ugly turnover last night that led to Boston's 4th goal, but overall he's been solid. I would bring him back for 2 years. "

We thought it was Brindy who missed the pass that caused the goal - not Pothier's fault -

and we love Brindy - always have - but it is time - he should have been healthy scratch last night. 

witchking-ch1

I pretty much agree with you. Brind'Amour makes too much money for 4th line minutes. A possible solution might be player-coach in Charlotte. That helps the NHL bottom line, but whether that helps the Canes overall budget, well, I don't know.

I hear that Ray does want 3 years. Although that may have negative consequences if he retires, I would bet they do it. Maybe $4m, $3m, $2m

I predict Cullen comes back. Something like 3 years, $9-9.5m

Cole trade bait? Who wants Cole? He predicted he was getting moved at the trade deadline. There was no interest. None. They'll be lucky to dump his salary.

Pothier very quietly was one of the better defensive defensemen in the league in Washington. I've said that another shut-down guy is one of the Canes biggest needs. He is making $2.5m. If they can sign him for around $3m a season, they should.

If I were JR, I'd move Pitkanen. If Corvo could be resigned, great. If not, why not McBain? Let him play in the 5/6 pair and on the power-play.

-Brind'amour- early retirement...no matter how personal and ugly it gets. He's got to go.

-Both Whitney and Cullen will not be back. One maybe, both, no way. This team needs to get younger. Offer Whitney 2 years at $5 million...not a dime more. If he wants more money or years, let him walk. And NEVER again give ANY player a NTC.

-Dump Erik Cole at any cost....trade him for a 14th round draft pick in 2018. But his salary vs his output is out of whack. I' try and unload Samsonov too. Both of these guys are easily and cheaply replaced by Tlusty, Osala, etc.

-Peters backs up Ward next year.

-Picard is shown the door in any way shape or form.

-Offer Pothier a 1 year $2 million dollar deal. He can take it or hike out.

-I'd do my best to obtain a top 4 defenseman on draft day or via free agency. Not a "scoring" defenseman, but a solid stay at home hitter.

-I'd try to sign Pitkanen and Jokinen to 3 year extensions. One of your top 3 forwards all yea, and hte best defenseman this team has had in ages....sign'em both long term.

-Corvo.....long gone. Rutheford replaced him with Pitkanen, and upgraded in the process. Period. Even Pothier stands to be an equal replacement, and possibly without the utter fear of contact that Corvo became known for!

I agree that I don't really see a spot for Corvo on this team anymore.. which is sad. With that being said, we HAVE to go get a defenseman with a BIG shot.. I'm with Coastal on this one.. Bring back "The Shot." Bring back Babchuk

Here's what I'd hope for

Legacy...gone (Peters and Pogge will fight for the #2 spot)

Brindy retires or we buy out his contract, either way we need to shed some of the salary hit and upgrade the position with a younger player

Sammy and Cole...can you say trade bait?  Both can and should go

Pothier gets a 1 or 2 year deal, he's played very well.

Whitney gets a 2 year deal--I think he was asking for 3 because he knew nobody would give it to him and therefore negate a trade without actually having to say no. 

Cullen--Not sure as he'd be the 3rd line center...how much are we going to pay for that vs what he may get on the open market?

Try and make a move for the #1 pick for Hall (2nd Rounder and Bowman?).  Seguin is a C or can he play the wing? 

As others have said, I'm not sold on Picard but I think he's under contract so we either find a trade partner or he's a #5/6 D'Man...Volchenkov is a UFA this year...he would certainly be a nice addition. 

Lines:

Whit Staal Jussi

Hall/Boychuck Sutter Ruutu

LaRose Dwyer Osala

Kosto (Free Agent) Tlusty

D-Men

Gleason/Pitkanen

Pothier/McBain

Picard/Carson

I'll have at it again.

We are currently 4 points out of 29th with a negative game in hand vs. Toronto. (So much for the playoffs). Anyway, the way the team has played the last 2 games, combined with the likelihood of bringing up a bunch more AHL'ers, gives us a very real chance of catching Toronto and lining up #2 in the draft. It is much more fun to play this GM game if we do.

My plan is based on our getting one of the top 2 picks, but mainly it is based on getting an NHL ready, elite forward. If we get Cam Fowler, no complaining, but my plan would have to be tweaked.

So, I've identified the players that I clearly would keep:

Staal, Ward, Ruutu, Jokinen, Pitkanen, Gleason, Sutter, Kostopoulos, LaRose, and all of our current prospects. I keep LaRose because at worst he is a great energy guy and at best he can rebound and have another great year and he can't have trade value. Kosto for similar reasons, and can be a 4th line guy.

Guys I would clearly move: Cole and Samsonov, Brind'Amour. Might not get much for Cole or Sammy, but so be it. The Cole and Sammy moves would finish a major cap space move. Both Coleand Sammy are similar in that they are guys who show flashes of purebrilliance, then disappear for long stretches. Overall much more sizzlethan steak. I'm sure it will happen, but Brind'Amour absolutely, positively, unequivocally CANNOT be in our line up after April 10th.

Now to rebuild. I know that many think the Canes will scale way back and go very low rent. I say huge mistake. Scale back some yes, but this team can win NEXT year if they will use some of that freed up cap space to sign ONE skilled forward free agent, and bring back Cullen (or a similar second/third line center). Now I'm not talking about a Gaborik or a Hossa budget-buster elite level forward. I'm talking that "just-sub-all star" consistent producer (like previous versions of Stillman or J. Williams or Whitney). JR is pretty good at finding this kind of guy. I have no idea who it would be. Some have mentioned Alexander Frolov, and he would certainly fit the bill. This move is KEY to us winning next year. If we want to win in 2-3 years then don't make this move. This single move gives us a legitimate top line.

I would then try to bring back Cullen (except if we draft Seguin). Matt Cullen is a decent second line center, but an outstanding third line center. Works hard, good assist guy, scores on shootouts, plays defense, well liked, may not be that expensive.

Then I draft Taylor Hall or Tyler Seguin or whoever looks like an elite producer up front. That player should be NHL ready. Not for the first line (in year one, yes after that), but second or third line.

That's it up front. Top Draft, decent legit top line winger, Cullen. 1-2-3 done.

Defense is much tougher to figure out. Gleason and Pitkanen are core. I think this young team puts McBain up there, especially if he continues to play well down the stretch. If I were GM I would take Babchuk back. If he is as good as before, we have 3 offensive stud defensemen. If he ends up being an attitude issue, play him for a while, establish his value, and then trade him. If for no other reason than adding a bit of veteran leadership I would try to keep Pothier who on balance looks very steady. Last spot to the best AHLer, with a nod to a defense-minded guy say Carson.

Goalie. If Cam is not back we will not win next year. I assume he is back. We better get a longer look at Justin Peters right now, because if he is the man he will play. Even if Cam's back heals, I have to think even Paul "ride the goalie till he breaks" Maurice will use the back up more. I say play Peters from here out like the starter to really see what he's got. If he does well then he's the man. I like Manny, but just too old.

The 4th line may need a center, but the 4th line can involve a new big guy or whoever, Samson is great along the boards which is a good 4th line skill. Just can't worry about the 4th line yet.

So the 2010-2011 Hurricanes will role out like this according to GM Remkin:

Jokinen-Staal-Frolov*

Ruutu-Cullen-Talyor Hall*

Boychuk-Sutter-LaRose (Tlusty)

Kosto-Samson-Dwyer

Pitkanen-Poithier

Babchuk-Gleason

McBain-Carson

(I take those 6, mix and match, I'm trying one d-minded with one "mind the house" minded.)

Ward-Peters

Tell me that team couldn't win right away. All 9 forwards could have 20 goals each (yes Boychuk is a stretch, but I think he can, and all the others have either done it or nearly done it already). The top 3 are legit and could combine for nearly 90 goals. Each defensive pairing has a guy who could provide serious offense from the blueline. Heck with that team we just need Lavi back to set them loose.

*examples.

Guys like Tlusty, Bowman, Osala could play their way in, particularly with inevitable injuries.

JR, call me.

Edit: I forgot about Whitney. It comes down to cap space and who we draft. Next year's Whitney should not be considered a first line winger. Once we move him down, space gets tight. IF we draft Cam Fowler we could use another winger and Whitney could be that guy for one more year. If not....not sure I see it.

I dont care how difficult it is going to be, but this team needs Dan Hamhuis and Alex Frolov. If we can get both those players we are basically set for next year. When everyone is posting their thoughts of our defence corps for next year it includes a lot of Rats. And nothing against the Rats they are solid but honestly if we want to be competitive we need a stable top 4 thats not going to change. And PLEASE dont bring back Babchuk. I know im probably the only one who doesnt want him back, but god the kid clearly has attitude problems and yeah we could use his shot from the point but as shown in last years playoffs without his shot he was exposed as a relatively ineffective d-man.

We need to acquire Frolov one way or another if we want a good 1st line. Resign Whitney to a good deal if possible, and it would be nice to bring back Cullen. Attempt to trade two of Samsonov, Larose and Cole. Preferably Larose and Cole. Yes its alot to ask but our offence is set with :
Frolov-Staal-Jokinen
Whitney-Sutter-Ruutu
Samsonov-? (Cullen) - Tlusty
K-Stop - ? - Dwyer

On defence if we can get Hamhuis or any other decent top 4 guy we should be set as well with :
Pitkanen - Hamhuis
Gleason - Pothier
Rodney/McBain-Carson

These lines are all assuming we do re-sign Pothier and we can trade Cole and Larose. And of course Brindy retires. Yes this is a lot to ask but it would be a legit team in the league and people may call it impossible but we need to set higher standards for where we want the team to be if we are going to win.

Pothier very quietly was one of the better defensive defensemen in the league in Washington. I've said that another shut-down guy is one of the Canes biggest needs. He is making $2.5m. If they can sign him for around $3m a season, they should.

Are you serious? He rarely even killed penalties in Washington and played butter soft minutes against nobodies (take a look at his quality of competition). You are looking at goals against stats with absolutely ZERO context. If Pothier was one of the better defensive defensemen and in the league and is a "shut-down" guy, you think he'd was killing penalties or being matched against top lines, especially when you consider Washington's weak defense. But that was not the case. Contending teams don't get rid of one of the best defensive defensemen in the league at the deadline to go along with a prospect and a pick in exchange for Joe Corvo.

$3M for an injury prone *borderline* second pairing defenseman is ridiculous. The very most i'd offer him is $1.5M on a one-year deal. I'm not even sure if I want him back, to be honest.

I see two legit Top 4 defensemen currently on the team. The rest are third-pairing guys or guys who belong in the AHL (Harrison). McBain is the only one I'd say who has potential to be a Top 4.

Gleason-Hamhuis

Pitkanen-McBain

Carson-Picard/???

IMO Rodney will never be a regular NHLer unless it is on a very, very bad team.

STS10 ya I agree Pothier didn't play that good in Washington at all!

However, he is playing some good hockey right now in Carolina which makes me wonder if we should resign him. Personally I don't think he should be  resigned I think he's fooling us. He's going to play good this year and lousy next year. It's not worth the risk knowing he's gonna want around 2 mill a year.

Now on with the rest of the team heres a full list of our unrestricted free agents

Mike Ryan, Ray Whitney, Tim Conboy, Brian Pothier, Jay Harrison, Manny Legace

I didn't list restricted free agents because most of them are AHL'ers. So obviously Ryan and Conboy don't matter and Harrison and Legace should be out for sure. I already told you about Pothier so that leaves us with Whitney. I think if we don't get into top 2 at the draft then draft a d-man and resign Whitney. Only for 2 years though no 3 year deal how bout 2 years 3 mill each, if you can get him for less than do it. 

Now for the draft I don't want them trading up for Seguin or Hall, I'm not even sure if Seguin will be playing NHL next year. But obviously if we have a top 2 pick then pick Hall or Seguin. If we have any other pick I don't want them giving up anybody to move up in the draft unless it has Samsi or Cole. There's no way in hell that would happen though. I like Cam Fowler so definitely take him if you can.

So players we need to get a rid of are like I said Samsi and Cole and also that Picard guy he sucks! and hopefully Brind'more retires if not I guess they'll keep him as a 4th line center but he should retire. Oh and Dwyer don't offer any deals to get a rid of him but if someone wants to give you a draft pick for him then take it.

Now for free agents.
Frolov and Hamhuis are must sign guys if you can get them and also resign Jokinen and Pitkanen to 4 year deals. and then get that center you need maybe get Cullen back and if not get a guy like Higgins or Halpern.

So heres My 2010/2011 Hurricanes line-up if it happens my way

Lw- Frolov C- Staal Rw- Jokinen              Not sure if Whitney should go first line or Frolov but either or.
Lw- Whitney C- Sutter Rw- Ruutu
Lw- Boychuck C- Cullen Rw- Bowman, Tlusty, Samson or Osala Doesn't matter but I say Bowman
Lw- Larose C- Dwyer Rw- K Stop

D- Pitkanen D- Hamhuis
D- Gleason D- Fowler
D- Carson D- McBain

G- Ward- Peters

I like the way Pothier has played for us so far, but I'm not so sure he is the best d-man we could get for 2.5 mil a year.  I'd rather have Seids back for that much I think.

Agreed. I would love to have Seidenberg back. I'm also a little worried about Pothier's injury history - the guy hasn't played 70 games in a year since 06/07. So unless he's willing to sign a short-term deal for less than 2.5 mil, I'd say look elsewhere. Another UFA D-Man on my radar that I don't think has been mentioned yet in this thread is Kurtis Foster. Big (6'5" 223) right-handed shot and having a very productive year in Tampa(8g 26a).

As for the forward corps, if the team can re-sign Whitney to a short-term deal (1-2 years @ 3ish mil/year) then I honeslty think we'd be pretty much set. I know a lot of people around here are pretty high on Frolov, but considering he's managed to put up less points and a worse on a better team than Whitney I'm not sure he'd be worth the $$$. He'll probably also be looking for a long-term deal.

So re-sign Whitney, let Dwyer, Tlusty and Brind'amour compete for the 3rd line center position and get us one good preferrably right-handed reliable defenseman to log big minutes (and if Aaron Ward shows up looking for a job, tell him the position has been filled even if it hasn't).

As GM I would eliminate any player that plays the "ole" style of play along the boards. Poof, you're gone! As I posted earlier, that includes Samsonov and Brind'Amour. I also would tell coach the 2nd cousin of ole, the poke at it and hope while gambling on a break out from our zone, will not be tolerated. That includes our Captain, who needs to use his large frame in the defensive zone, too.

As GM I'd want players that dig it out along the boards, and can play deep into the offensive zone. If that means size, then a limited number of small speedy players is all the team can field. Rosie and Dwyer need to produce, or be replaced with others that can. Tryouts for that role include almost everyone we're looking at from Albany, with Boychuk looking like an upgrade.

These things alone will relieve pressure on the Defense, where the team needs another true defender. Pothier continues his audition, and Corvo is not the guy. An improving Alberts would have been superior to Picard, so that hole needs filling. JR needs to get this right next time, since he's failed at it this season.

It is a bit tough to talk about the needs before the lottery draft is completed. I'm guessing another physical defenseman is needed, and not anothe rAaron Ward,lol,  someone who is hopefully 30 or younger. I don't want any huge move sin the offseason, cause I think the canes issue as always is the slow start. Canes are great in the 2nd half of the season , as seems to be the case the past few years. This needs to somehow be addressed.

I want Rod, Sammy gone on waivers if worse comes to worse. If we bring back any players(s) it should be Whitney or cullen, two players that are important to this team's success next year. I think sutter and Boychuk will just get better, and Peters is gonna be a solid backup. Very important to get a an enforcer though, Gleason fighting and being off for 5 minutes isn't always good. I'm willing to sacrifice a spot on the 4th line for an enforcer.

In my dream i'd love an offensive defenseman who can control a PP (sorry Joni you don't shoot enough) but not sure if the Canes are willing to pay the money for that this offseason.

I want Rod, Sammy gone on waivers if worse comes to worse. If we bring back any players(s) it should be Whitney or cullen, two players that are important to this team's success next year. I think sutter and Boychuk will just get better, and Peters is gonna be a solid backup. Very important to get a an enforcer though, Gleason fighting and being off for 5 minutes isn't always good. I'm willing to sacrifice a spot on the 4th line for an enforcer.

In my dream i'd love an offensive defenseman who can control a PP (sorry Joni you don't shoot enough) but not sure if the Canes are willing to pay the money for that this offseason.

I know that many of us would not like to see Brind'Amour back for the final season of his contract, but I strongly disagree with the idea of putting him on waivers or sinking to any depths to get rid of him.  As I'm sure many have said, Rod deserves better than that after all he's given to this franchise and fanbase.  I guarantee that he is the one that is most aware of his slowdown this season and I believe in his character enough to expect that he and Rutherford will work out a graceful exit strategy.  He won't be waived and I seriously doubt that we would even try to trade him or that any team would be willing to trade for that big contract.  I hope that this is the final season as a player for Rod, but I want it to happen in a way that allows him to keep his dignity.  If for some reason, he decides that he wants to play out his final year, I'm okay with it.  Yes, I know that this will damage our ability to bring in FAs, but he earned that contract through hard work and it should be his decision ultimately.

Samsonov will only be gone if we buy out his final year.  Rutherford and Karmanos hate the buyout option, so I would suggest we all pencil Samsonov in for next year.  He certainly isn't playing like a $2.5 million winger ($2.8 next year!), but I still like the guy and hope that he turns it around.  You know, he could just be injured.  We all like to give our favorite players like Gleason the benefit of the doubt if they don't look like they have their A-game on, so why don't we give the same courtesy to Sammie?  Whatever you want to say about him, I don't think you can say that he is lazy or has an attitude problem.  He's one of the good guys and I hope he can have a good year next year, cause he'll be a Cane.

I'm curious to see what will happen with Bryan Rodney this summer.  He'll be a UFA and I wonder if he'll get a contract offer from the Canes.  I can see Rodney bolting to Europe for a year to try and build his resume a bit in hopes of getting a one-way contract down the road.

Finally, who here thinks that Justin Williams could be back next year?  If I'm not mistaken, he'll be a UFA this summer.  I guess a lot depends on how the playoffs go for LA.  He's finally healthy again and has great chemistry with Kopitar.  Still, LA might be afraid to plunk down a load of cash for injury-cursed player.  I certainly wouldn't be shocked if he were to find his way back to Raleigh next season.

[quote name='karparules wrote:

goeb']I want Rod, Sammy gone on waivers if worse comes to worse. If we bring back any players(s) it should be Whitney or cullen, two players that are important to this team's success next year. I think sutter and Boychuk will just get better, and Peters is gonna be a solid backup. Very important to get a an enforcer though, Gleason fighting and being off for 5 minutes isn't always good. I'm willing to sacrifice a spot on the 4th line for an enforcer.

I know that many of us would not like to see Brind'Amour back for the final season of his contract, but I strongly disagree with the idea of putting him on waivers or sinking to any depths to get rid of him.  As I'm sure many have said, Rod deserves better than that after all he's given to this franchise and fanbase.  I guarantee that he is the one that is most aware of his slowdown this season and I believe in his character enough to expect that he and Rutherford will work out a graceful exit strategy.  He won't be waived and I seriously doubt that we would even try to trade him or that any team would be willing to trade for that big contract.  I hope that this is the final season as a player for Rod, but I want it to happen in a way that allows him to keep his dignity.  If for some reason, he decides that he wants to play out his final year, I'm okay with it.  Yes, I know that this will damage our ability to bring in FAs, but he earned that contract through hard work and it should be his decision ultimately.

I like many of your non-Brind'Amour points and appreciate the sentiment about Rod. I also hope that Rod goes out with class. But this team does not owe Rod another blown season. If Rod plays hardball and insists on playing next year, it should be in Charlotte. Sorry, but in my opinion the disaster that was the start of this season was what happens when the team feels it owes Brind'Amour more than it owes the rest of the team or the fans. This season squares all debts.

I hope that Rod goes out with class and style. He does deserve that, but only if he agrees to take it. Sorry but it's time to make a deal he can't refuse.

[quote name='remkin wrote:

karparules wrote:

goeb']I want Rod, Sammy gone on waivers if worse comes to worse. If we bring back any players(s) it should be Whitney or cullen, two players that are important to this team's success next year. I think sutter and Boychuk will just get better, and Peters is gonna be a solid backup. Very important to get a an enforcer though, Gleason fighting and being off for 5 minutes isn't always good. I'm willing to sacrifice a spot on the 4th line for an enforcer.

I like many of your non-Brind'Amour points and appreciate the sentiment about Rod. I also hope that Rod goes out with class. But this team does not owe Rod another blown season. If Rod plays hardball and insists on playing next year, it should be in Charlotte. Sorry, but in my opinion the disaster that was the start of this season was what happens when the team feels it owes Brind'Amour more than it owes the rest of the team or the fans. This season squares all debts.

I hope that Rod goes out with class and style. He does deserve that, but only if he agrees to take it. Sorry but it's time to make a deal he can't refuse.

I totally understand your thoughts on this.  It does seem like we've given him enough time.  I tend to think that Rutherford would never send Rod to the minors UNLESS he told him flat out at the start of the season that this would be an option.  Even then, I just can't imagine JR going through with this.  I do think that Rod will retire this season or be bought out this summer.  Rutherford will get something done here.

An athlete who probably played too long is Y.A Title. He is most rembered for the hit John Baker laid on him rather than his career. I woulf like for him to be remembered for the pic of him lifting the Cup in victory than the past seasons or, God forbin, a career ending injury