The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
colliefan

is any one besides me...

I was there in my usual seat a few rows behind the Canes bench.  Lots of Slug fans in the area and in the arena.  This time I thought they were generally well behaved.  Loud, vocal, supporting their team.  That's OK.  I didn't see any bands of Slug fans out in the concourse chanting their stupid "Let's go Buffalo" like in '06.  Only thing I noticed was a guy (mid-30's) with his wife (250+ pounds, ugh!) and two grammar school age kids a couple of rows in front of us.  I guess he'd had a few too many beers and his language deteriorated.  After a few loud phrases with the f word (in front of his own family), several Canes fans got on his case and threatened to have him removed.  He got the message and shut up.  But that kind of language in front of the family in a public place?  As we left the arena, my wife commented on the large numbers of Raleigh's finest in and around the arena.

We attended a Canes game in Buffalo in March, 2006 (before the ECF that led to the issues we still deal with today).  Slug fans were OK, but we were in a distinct minority.  We encountered only two other Canes fans (in jerseys), a man and his son.  The man had been transferred from Raleigh to Rochester, NY, so his residence there wasn't exactly voluntary.

I doubt that even one out of a hundred Slug fans in attendance drove down here.  And I know they can't afford to fly.  I've made several unscientific surveys over the past few years, quizzing Slug fans about whether they came down from Buffalo for the game or lived in the area.  I've never talked to anyone who came all the way from Buffalo.  They're all economic refugees who live in the Carolinas.  Now tell me, would any resident of Raleigh who's in their right mind move to Buffalo?

That's gotta be shopped!

Off-off topic:

I'm originally from Chicago, hubby's from Jersey, daughter born here at Duke Med.

My daughter came home from school one day and was very sad. I asked why. She explained that the civil war came up in history class (brief, cursory lesson, no depth...not until middle school). Anyway, she went on to get quite worked up, stating "we lost the war!" Hubby and I looked at her and I said: "you did, we didn't"!

[quote name='ivyleager wrote:

rbochan']

That's gotta be shopped!

Off-off topic:

I'm originally from Chicago, hubby's from Jersey, daughter born here at Duke Med.

My daughter came home from school one day and was very sad. I asked why. She explained that the civil war came up in history class (brief, cursory lesson, no depth...not until middle school). Anyway, she went on to get quite worked up, stating "we lost the war!" Hubby and I looked at her and I said: "you did, we didn't"!

haha that's great.  I'm a huge civil war buff so I easily find this hilarious

I can only imagine what a dump Buffalo must be. Because there's no way all the ignorant people moved down here!

I took my 3 year old son to the game yesterday, hesitantly though. He'd been begging to go to another game. And the 5:00pm start is real convenient for kids who usually go to bed at 8:30. But I really wasn't very confident about him being surrounded by the Slug brigade. There are certain words I don't want him learning until at least the 4th grade! Luckily, our seats are away from most of the riff-raff...except for two slugs fans right next to us, one of whom would not shut up...she blabbered on and on non-stop until the 1st intermission when they got up and never returned. Whomever's seats they moved to, I owe you a beer for not coming to the game!

I'll probably go back to "skipping" Slugs games in the future...those drunken idiots just make it too annoying for me to enjoy the game.

You need to go to Buffalo sometime, it's a great city with great fans. Get out of NC every now and then and stop holding a grudge for losing the war!!

Why should someone who's team is winning have to shut up,,if the shoe were on the other foot i bet you would be yelling for your team. Did you ever think of saying to the fan "would you please watch your language I have my kid here with me" and see where that gets you. I bet it would work. I can't say i haven't let  a few cuss words out when i shouldn't have. If you are looking for a reason to whine,,,I mean complain, you will find it wherever you go?

So, I'll try the "let it slide" approach next time.  Maybe my luck will change. smile.gif

P.S. I've been to Buffalo a bunch of times.  Two of my dearest friends are from there.  Caught a Bills game once, that was fun.  Had fun each time I was there.  I have nothing against Buffalo.

Get out of NC every now and then and stop holding a grudge for losing the war!!

Why should someone who's team is winning have to shut up,,if the shoe were on the other foot i bet you would be yelling for your team. Did you ever think of saying to the fan "would you please watch your language I have my kid here with me" and see where that gets you. I bet it would work. I can't say i haven't let  a few cuss words out when i shouldn't have. If you are looking for a reason to whine,,,I mean complain, you will find it wherever you go?

Tell me you are joking because you cannot be serious with any of these statements.

Did you ever think of saying to the fan "would you please watch your language I have my kid here with me" and see where that gets you...

yep, tried that sunday...didnt work, went to usher, told her there were some buffalo fans that were being very inapporpriate and i had three elementary school age kids with me....she checked their tickets and they werent supposed to be there so she booted them....the whole section clapped....AND they told her i was swearing at them, which was completely not true!!!!

and fyi, if my team were winning i would NOT be beligerently yelling at everyone around me....

[quote name='djharley wrote:

TheBigKahuna']I can only imagine what a dump Buffalo must be. Because there's no way all the ignorant people moved down here!

I took my 3 year old son to the game yesterday, hesitantly though. He'd been begging to go to another game. And the 5:00pm start is real convenient for kids who usually go to bed at 8:30. But I really wasn't very confident about him being surrounded by the Slug brigade. There are certain words I don't want him learning until at least the 4th grade! Luckily, our seats are away from most of the riff-raff...except for two slugs fans right next to us, one of whom would not shut up...she blabbered on and on non-stop until the 1st intermission when they got up and never returned. Whomever's seats they moved to, I owe you a beer for not coming to the game!

I'll probably go back to "skipping" Slugs games in the future...those drunken idiots just make it too annoying for me to enjoy the game.

You need to go to Buffalo sometime, it's a great city with great fans. Get out of NC every now and then and stop holding a grudge for losing the war!!

Nice try, but yet again, you fail....as usual.

I do not stand and taunt fans of opposing teams. I don't yell AT them. I cheer for my team. I don't curse at the RBC Center. I don't yell obscenities for the world to hear when I'm in a crowded place. I have more dignity than that..something I've seen VERY little of from Buffalo or Detroit fans. Have YOU ever asked an opposing fan to stop cursing or told them to sit down and shut up? It goes over very well...let me tell you. I've seen a LOT of Detroit fans dragged out of the building by police over the years...and I stood and applauded. I have been to more Detroit games than Buffalo games....partially by choice, partially due to luck. Don't really like either one. Cheering for your team is expected. Being an obnoxious, loud mouthed, drunken blabbering trouble starting idiot is another. And way too many Buffalo fans fall into that latter category. They make their own stereotype...live with it.

No, I don't need to go to Buffalo. A friend of mine goes almost every year for football, and tells me it's quite a dump. I'll take his word for it. There are WAY too many places I want to visit in my lifetime, to waste a trip to Buffalo.

[quote name='TheBigKahuna wrote:

djharley wrote:

TheBigKahuna']I can only imagine what a dump Buffalo must be. Because there's no way all the ignorant people moved down here!

Nice try, but yet again, you fail....as usual.

I do not stand and taunt fans of opposing teams. I don't yell AT them. I cheer for my team. I don't curse at the RBC Center. I don't yell obscenities for the world to hear when I'm in a crowded place. I have more dignity than that..something I've seen VERY little of from Buffalo or Detroit fans. Have YOU ever asked an opposing fan to stop cursing or told them to sit down and shut up? It goes over very well...let me tell you. I've seen a LOT of Detroit fans dragged out of the building by police over the years...and I stood and applauded. I have been to more Detroit games than Buffalo games....partially by choice, partially due to luck. Don't really like either one. Cheering for your team is expected. Being an obnoxious, loud mouthed, drunken blabbering trouble starting idiot is another. And way too many Buffalo fans fall into that latter category. They make their own stereotype...live with it.

No, I don't need to go to Buffalo. A friend of mine goes almost every year for football, and tells me it's quite a dump. I'll take his word for it. There are WAY too many places I want to visit in my lifetime, to waste a trip to Buffalo.

Yep its better if you stay home,,thay way  I don't have to hear all this whinning when the Sabres come to town. And yes i have tried it (asking someone to watch their mouth,been on both sides) and it worked. So yes if your are going to whine stay home . So as to your fail statement what you say to me means absolutly nothing to me, no wonder people yell or don't listen to you because you seem just a rude as you say the Sabres fan are.  But with that said I hope you have a nice day!!!

crying-face_1920x1200.jpg