The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
fkelly

Whats the real deal with Babchuk?

Yes, the Canes still hold his rights and JR could either resign him or trade those rights before Jul 1st. After that he becomes a UFA I suppose. Whether or not another NHL team will pick him up is another story though. Hightailing it back to Russia, twice, because he either didn't get his way or he didn't understand the NHL's arbitration process which surely would have garanteed him more money than JR's qualifying offer, probably won't sit well with other GM's either. I think he is making a little over 1.5 mil this year in the KHL so I guess that will be the minimum he'll shoot for if he does get approached. Whether or not he will be worth it is another story.

I don't think he would be a UFA. He basically owes the Canes one more year of no-arbitration RFA playing. The options this off-season are the same as last year, sign or trade. If they do neither, it would be back to the KHL. Not sure if the Cans would have to submit a new qualifying offer or if the old one still stands. I could be wrong about this, though.

He lost the right to arbitration the first time he bolted, so he wasn't going to get more than JR offered him last year unless someone signed him to an offer sheet.

I don't think he would be a UFA. He basically owes the Canes one more year of no-arbitration RFA playing. The options this off-season are the same as last year, sign or trade. If they do neither, it would be back to the KHL. Not sure if the Cans would have to submit a new qualifying offer or if the old one still stands. I could be wrong about this, though.

He lost the right to arbitration the first time he bolted, so he wasn't going to get more than JR offered him last year unless someone signed him to an offer sheet.

isn't there a point that he "ages out" of the process?  I couldn't see him still being our RFA @ 30+.

Here are his numbers from Russia this season. Not sure what the date was when tabulated. But it does look like he may have learned to play defense.

Babchuk Anton   

GP      G       A      PTS     Plus/Minus      

49         9      13        22             17     

If he can play a bit of defense now then I'd be all for bringing him back.  The reason I think a lot of people like Corvo more was that Corvo could blast from the blue line and play D.  If Babchuck can swallow his pride and return then I'd be all for it.  I know JR has some fault in the way this was handled as well, but JR holds all the power in this situation.  

[quote name='caniac-97 wrote:

JLP']I don't think he would be a UFA. He basically owes the Canes one more year of no-arbitration RFA playing. The options this off-season are the same as last year, sign or trade. If they do neither, it would be back to the KHL. Not sure if the Cans would have to submit a new qualifying offer or if the old one still stands. I could be wrong about this, though.

isn't there a point that he "ages out" of the process?  I couldn't see him still being our RFA @ 30+.

I don't think so. If I am reading the CBA right, he is a "Defected Player". As long as he holds that status I think he is ours, assuming we make a qualifying offer for him. That might time out after 2 or 3 years, I'm not really sure.

Here are his numbers from Russia this season. Not sure what the date was when tabulated. But it does look like he may have learned to play defense.

Babchuk Anton   

Not exactly playing the most amazing players, most of those guys are AHL'ers over here.

[quote name='legend-1 wrote:

OBXer']Here are his numbers from Russia this season. Not sure what the date was when tabulated. But it does look like he may have learned to play defense.

Babchuk Anton   

Not exactly playing the most amazing players, most of those guys are AHL'ers over here.

Of course your right. It is a bit like comparing oranges to lemons.  Honestly I never thought Babs played defense that poorly. It was his inability to move the puck out of our zone that created all those turnovers. His monster slap shot would also disappear if he was pressured like the Penguins did in the ECF.  I'm not one who will shout bring back Babs but if we do I hope he has learned something.

I didn't mean for this to turn into a all out Babchuk debate I just wanted to know what the realistic options are.

JLP is right about the defected player status but if the Canes dont make him a qualifying offer this summer, cant he sign with another NHL team?  I cant remember how it went down last summer but Im pretty sure the canes offered him his qualifier which his agent balked at.

babchuk will never be back with the canes. aside from what was mentioned before about his defections back to russia, i have heard that the other players didn't like him. i heard a story about him being scratched for a game before gametime. he had already dressed so was taking warmups, and he was angry about being scratched so he was firing pucks at cam's head during warmups. the guy just seems to have too many attitude issues. shocker, you usually don't see that from russians wink.gif

To heck with Babchuk... keep developing the kids in Albany and bring them up instead.
We don't have that kind of defensive depth in the organization. Carson and Mcbain have already been called up (and are likely to stick around next year). Including Gleason and Pitkanen, that means we have 4 d-men contracted for next year. Rodney is unlikely to make a healthy team, and none of our other defensive prospects are ready for NHL duty yet. Not to mention the fact that any more AHLers, and we would have a pretty inexperienced defensive corps. We have 2 roster spots to fill, and they are probably gonna have to come from the outside. Babchuk is a solid option. Despite what many people believe, he isn't bad defensively, and he did score 16 goals for us last year (I believe 5th among all NHL defensemen). At the very least, it will drastically improve the power play. 

Edit: I suppose there's Harrison, but I think we should use that roster spot on an established veteran.

babchuk will never be back with the canes. aside from what was mentioned before about his defections back to russia, i have heard that the other players didn't like him. i heard a story about him being scratched for a game before gametime. he had already dressed so was taking warmups, and he was angry about being scratched so he was firing pucks at cam's head during warmups. the guy just seems to have too many attitude issues. shocker, you usually don't see that from russians wink.gif
Yeah, and I heard that the reason Ward got hurt is because Babchuk flew in during the middle of the night on a secret KGB mission and pushed Ward down a flight of stairs. Give me a break.
We don't have that kind of defensive depth in the organization.Carson and Mcbain have already been called up (and are likely to stickaround next year). Including Gleason and Pitkanen, that means we have 4d-men contracted for next year. Rodney is unlikely to make a healthyteam, and none of our other defensive prospects are ready for NHL dutyyet. Not to mention the fact that any more AHLers, and we would have apretty inexperienced defensive corps. We have 2 roster spots to fill,and they are probably gonna have to come from the outside. Babchuk is asolid option. Despite what many people believe, he isn't baddefensively, and he did score 16 goals for us last year (I believe 5thamong all NHL defensemen). At the very least, it will drasticallyimprove the power play. 

Edit: I suppose there's Harrison, but I think we should use that roster spot on an established veteran.
Agreed. When people mention Byran Rodney as a "prospect", do they realize that he's actually older than Babchuk? Oh, and he's very bad, but that's a whole nother topic.

There's no NHL-ready defenseman currently playing for the Rats, which is why you see a horrible defenseman like Jay Harrison up here. 

What, exactly, are the downsides to Babchuk returning other than some heresay about bad attitude, locker room cancer, etc? Was Babchuk's alleged "bad attitude" a problem when he was a huge reason we made the playoffs last year?

Well I've been round and round on this Babchuk thing. I do have to admit I'm intrigued by it. If I could give JR some truth serum and ask him one question, it might be: "What's the deal with Babchuk?"

IF Babchuk was really a locker-room head case then I would try to get whatever I could for him or let him stay in the mother land.

IF, however, it is all between Babchuk, his agent, and JR, and does NOT extend down to the ice, I would take him back in a heartbeat. If nothing else, let him put up a few goals and trade him.

You know, that might be an interesting thread, the truth serum thing...

Not to rehash anything but...

I really wouldn't mind seeing Babchuk come back to the Canes.  He was a force down the stretch last year after Maurice took over.  I don't think anyone scored as many big goals as he did when the team was pushing for the playoffs.  He was the anchor of the power play.  I don't really understand why they gave up on him so early in the New Jersey series.  I think he got the hook after game 1 of that series and never really played in the playoffs after that.  On top of that, I also really don't understand why the Canes didn't want to keep Seidenberg this year either.  He played well in the playoffs and was one of the top four d-man.  He played some big minutes for the Canes in the playoffs.

I really think if the Canes brought back Corvo, Seids, and Babchuk to go with Pitkanen, Gleason, Carson/McBain, the team would have a real nice D.

Not to rehash anything but...

I really wouldn't mind seeing Babchuk come back to the Canes.  He was a force down the stretch last year after Maurice took over.  I don't think anyone scored as many big goals as he did when the team was pushing for the playoffs.  He was the anchor of the power play.  I don't really understand why they gave up on him so early in the New Jersey series.  I think he got the hook after game 1 of that series and never really played in the playoffs after that.  On top of that, I also really don't understand why the Canes didn't want to keep Seidenberg this year either.  He played well in the playoffs and was one of the top four d-man.  He played some big minutes for the Canes in the playoffs.

I really think if the Canes brought back Corvo, Seids, and Babchuk to go with Pitkanen, Gleason, Carson/McBain, the team would have a real nice D.

Its not that they didn't want Seidenberg, he priced himself out and wanted more years. JR even re-opened talks with his agent when he wasn't signed for a few days after July 1st. Seidenberg still wouldn't come down on price/years. After months of being homeless, he finally realized he needs to budge if he wants to play, hence the 1 year deal in Florida right before training camp. By that time, JR had moved on (acquired Ward).

As for Babchuk, I don't see him ever playing for the Canes again. I think both parties are too stubborn. I do think JR tries to trade him at the draft though.

Wasn't one of the issues with Babchuk that he wanted a couple million to play? That was the same problem with Dennis Seidenberg. The only difference is that we should have signed Seids at 2 mill. He's put up similar numbers as Pitkanen (D-man with the most points, currently), with a much better and Pitkanen gets what, 4 mill? 3.5?

Babchuk doesn't need to come back. It would make about as much sense as bringing back Aaron Ward a third time. He sucked to no end before we traded him away. Neither would have anything good to contribute. Babchuk shows improved defensive "skills" (based on the stats), but against what kind of offense?

He's not going to play for a million bucks, so I think we should avoid the headache.