The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
TSA

What do you see for the back up goalie situation next season?

Seriously I hate Manny Legace , I know he can do great job, but each time, he play bad! He will do one good game, and 3 bad.

And we have to look on the futur, not the present!

I like Manny, but I have a feeling that he won't stay next season. Maybe Peters will be the back up. And I think they should put back up goalie in the net more. Not once a month. We did learn from Michael. He got potential, but didn't have a chance here. Had he played in playoffs 2009? No! They said Cam had been suffered from back pain since last season. Why didn't they let Michael play? We might be able to beat Pens some, not 4-0 games.

Talking about personality, Manny is a great friendly guy. He always has fun in his practices and he has never run away from fans after practices and games.

Since Cam has been out with injuries this season, we've had a good chance to see what both Manny Legace and Justin Peters can bring.  Both have performed extremely well and have given the team a chance to win on most occasions.  Assuming Cam gets a clean bill of health to start next season, who would you like to see signed as the back up and what role do you see them playing.

I think Justin Peters has looked more than ready but would be better served in his development to play a full load of games at the AHL level.  It would be a waste of time to have him sitting on the bench for long stretches if Cam is going to get a majority of the games.  That said, I don't want to see Cam get overloaded with games and would rather see him share to load, giving him a full season to re-establish himself.  He's had some pretty serious injuries and I'd like to see him take it slow till he's 100% sure his back troubles are behind him.

Manny Legace would be my choice for the back up role.   I like the idea of having an established veteran who's been through all situations and has shown he can come off the bench cold when the pressure is on.  Manny has fit right into the locker room since the day he arrived and has become part that veteran presence leading all the young kids.  His upbeat personality and team player attitude have been infectious, even at the most dismal of moments this season.  He fits in well with the character of this team and has been more than appreciative of being given the chance to prove his worth at the NHL level again.  I'm not sure that he'll be offered a starting goalie job on another team so if he wants to continue to be a back up, I hope its here in Raleigh.

Thoughts?

Completely agreed. I don't want Justin to turn into the next Michael Leighton. I don't think rookies can flourish when they aren't routinely seeing game action. I think it takes a veteran to play consistently with very limited playing time. I also agree that it's better for Justin to get as much experience as possible in the AHL. The one problem is that we also want Mike Murphy to get playing time in Charlotte. Still, they'd both get more minutes there than either would in the NHL.

With Cam back full time next year, Manny could be one of the better backups we've had in Carolina in a while. I'd like to see a 62-20ish split of the workload. We know Cam's a workhorse, but teams have 2 goalies for a reason. It's the same reason why you don't start a pitcher 45 games. You don't want to risk fatigue/injury. 

Also, I'm getting tired of this whole throw out anyone over 30 for the young guy trend. Strong teams have veteran leadership, and Manny provides just that. I think Justin will be ready to come in to the NHL full time in a year.

Well, here we are again discussing the backup goalie situation. We had Michael Leighton as a back up goalie.  Some how we would never would let him play. My guess due to a lack of confidence. We now have Justin Peters a capable goalie with a similar situation to Leighton. In addition, we have a Veteran goalie in Legace. The question becomes will we let Peters play?  I believe you have to prepare for the future while you are in the present. After saying that I guess I'm endorsing Peters. But only if we are going to let him play to develop. It would require the coaching staff to develop a strategy on how to use them effectively. It also requires some support from the players in front of the goalie. They need to provide some assistance and protection for whoever is chosen.  

Legace has been awesome.  Absolutely great in the locker room and great in coming in and playing at a moments notice.  My biggest criticism of the current coaching staff is that they havent played Manny more often.  We ride Ward like a rented mule and his body is starting to break down.  Keep Manny, his veteran presence has been a welcome addition.  Stick with the Red Wings method of letting Peters develop in the AHL with a lot of games before you bring him to the NHL and let him flame out like Leighton did with the Canes.

Seriously I hate Manny Legace , I know he can do great job, but each time, he play bad! He will do one good game, and 3 bad.

Your english is bad, and so is this opinion. Sorry. Seriously, I need to explicitly know how Manny Legace has been bad? Please explicate. (explain) 

As for my thoughts, Legace would be a tremendous fit with his experience and back-up quality. Cam and Manny would be a great duo. Justin does need a full AHL load, and after that, what a terrific goalie combo we might have with him and Cam. 

Keep Manny as our backup for next year and let Pete Dawg work a full schedule in Charlotte.  A possibility for next year is if Manny does good in his role come trade deadline we could us him as trade bait and get either a draft pick or another player in return.  Teams are always looking for a veteran in the backup role prior to the playoffs.  Then bring up Pete Dawg for the backup role.

Legace all the way - especially if we can keep him at a low salary. Peters is too risky. Once he gets into a slump, he stays there and can't pick himself up and when he's on his game, it's not spectacular. Legace is always the same player and a lot of times is fantastic. Also, he can pick up a game at any time. As long as the guys in front of him play well, he will.

I like the idea of keeping Manny as Cam's back-up, but it's a matter of will he want to stay here, knowing that is his role.

Peters needs more development, and it seems most agree that him playing once a month (slight exaggeration, maybe) isn't going to help with that.  True, practicing with NHLers is good, but nothing is better than NHL game experience.

Either way, Cam needs more time off.  I think the deciding factor will be how well he feels playing the rest of this season, if he'll need surgery and a season to get back to top shape - in that case, he'll need someone to take the bulk of next season's games... which would be great for Peters.  But if Cam is well enough to play the majority of games next season, then we'd be better off with Manny as the back-up.  But that brings us full-circle: would Manny want to stay, knowing that he's the back-up.  I think so... it's better than sitting on the couch or starting in the AHL.  Right?

[quote name='fallen_apostle wrote:

Bastien96']Seriously I hate Manny Legace , I know he can do great job, but each time, he play bad! He will do one good game, and 3 bad.

Your english is bad, and so is this opinion. Sorry. Seriously, I need to explicitly know how Manny Legace has been bad? Please explicate. (explain) 

As for my thoughts, Legace would be a tremendous fit with his experience and back-up quality. Cam and Manny would be a great duo. Justin does need a full AHL load, and after that, what a terrific goalie combo we might have with him and Cam. 

In my opinion, Manny Legace is not a constant goaltender

[quote name='Bastien96 wrote:

fallen_apostle wrote:

Bastien96']Seriously I hate Manny Legace , I know he can do great job, but each time, he play bad! He will do one good game, and 3 bad.

In my opinion, Manny Legace is not a constant goaltender

Well that is true, he is not a constant goaltender, he spent some time playing wing for the blues, and I think some center for the Red Wings.  

I think, if possible, we should package Peters with a few of our picks to get another first round draft pick.  This all depends on how other teams view him, but considering his performance this season I think there would be some interest.  On the other hand, he is good so we could keep him to play 15 games a year, or not. Either way it doesn't matter, if Cam is healthy, anyone could be our backup and we'd be ok.

I think, if possible, we should package Peters with a few of our picks to get another first round draft pick.  This all depends on how other teams view him, but considering his performance this season I think there would be some interest.  On the other hand, he is good so we could keep him to play 15 games a year, or not. Either way it doesn't matter, if Cam is healthy, anyone could be our backup and we'd be ok.

He means consistent... give him a break, his first language is French.

I think your idea is very clever... it would help out 3 parties: 
1) Peters (he'd get a lot of playing time for sure and probably be a starter after a season),
2) Us (we'd get a better prospect) and 
3) whatever team that needs an up-and-coming goalie.

Great thinking!  Now if only JR was reading these threads...

I wonder how much the overload of play overtaxed Cam and lead to his back injury. Somehow there must be a balance of the workload that keeps a back-up fresh and game ready and playing the star goalie on a regular basis.

Peters will probably start out in Charlotte, with Manny being picked up (two-way contract) to backup Cam.

I like Peters, but I think he needs a little more time with proper coaching. Once he develops more and learns to better control his rebounds, he'll return to the Canes. Manny has played well at times, and is still a serviceable backup. His main knock has been his size.

I think trying to stick with Manny for another year would be win-win situation for him and the Canes. At this point of his career, I don't see him being more than a backup no matter where he goes and assuming he gets along with the staff and team, he would have nothing to lose if JR makes him a fair two-way offer. JR would have a capable backup and should another team get in a goalie bind next year and is desperate enough, he could also use him as as part of some trade bait. I wouldn't expect much in return though.

Peters did good but imo he is still way too young and inexperienced for a full time backup and is nowhere near starter material. Should Cam get hurt again he has already proven that he and Manny can jump in for the time being. I still think he needs to mature a few more years down in Charlotte and assuming he progresses nicely, JR would still has the option to bring him up later or, with a few more years under his belt, he could trade him to give him a shot at the NHL elsewhere and get something good in return. There is no rush.

As far as our goalie situation goes, I personally thing that we need more depth in goal. Eventhough the Canes and Charlotte are set for next year but then what? Since we have nobody one in the Jr. or school level waiting on a pro contract, I expect JR to use one of his 2nd round picks to draft a goalie this year.

Don't they also have Murphy and Pogge in the system?  I kinda thought that was why they traded for Pogge this past trade deadline?

My vote would be to keep Manny as Cam's back-up if JR can keep him at a decent price. While Peters has played well I dont't believe he's ready yet.  He should be given more time to develop. 

I think Peters needs more time in the minors.  Put him as the full time starter in Charlotte next year and see what he can do with it.  I know Murphy is also a good goalie prospect, but I'm not really sure where he is on his career progression right now.  Resign Legace for a year and then have him get about 20 or so games next year to keep Cam fresh.  

I'm pretty sure we got Pogge to add some depth in the goaltending area. With everyone healthy, we have 5 goalies, which leaves 3 for the AHL and 2 for the NHL. I think we're deep enough in goal. Cam is most likely going to be the starter for the next 4 years or longer. As far as backup, Manny resigns and we have a backup for another year, and possibly longer if he feels capable and his play doesn't suffer. Peters gets 2 more years of starter in the AHL, while Murphy slowly transitions from backup to starter.

It all depends on how everyone develops, though. Peters is already progressing, and he looks like he'll be an NHLer in as soon as next year. Murphy is still young, so he has more time to develop and we can afford to be patient with him. As for Pogge, he's older than Murphy but hasn't panned out as expected, so in my opinion he's a wildcard. However, Pogge can tweak his play under the right coaching staff/better environment and regain his potential.

We can afford not resigning Manny, but I would expect Peters to get as much play as Ward had in his rookie year, depending on his play. I really want a backup next year that can take 30 games. Ward needs a rest. And not an offseason rest, a year where he can play, but not depended on as much. We can't ride Ward like we did last year during the regular season. During the playoffs is understandable, not ideal, but understandable. I can see both Manny and Peters taking a 30 game backup year and winning at least 15 of those games. At least.

embarassed.gifDoesn't sound like JR is any closer to resolving the back up goalie situation but we should have an answer pretty soon.  Here's the latest from Paul's TTS Blog:

For two players who have very little in common outside of the position they play, the choice between
Manny Legace
and
Justin Peters
as the Hurricanes’ backup goaltender has proven to be a difficult one.

General Manager Jim Rutherford said recently that he is no closer to making that call now than he was at the end of the season. The topic is expected to be an important one at next week’s scouting meetings.

”We’re going to have to make a decision on the goalie,” said Rutherford. “There are a lot of factors that we have to weigh in, but it will be one of those two guys and we’ll have to decide soon.”

Full article here  

This quote makes me a little nervous, I hope they've learned that lesson and aren't seriously considering pushing Cam Ward to 70 games per season.  It hasn't worked out well in the past 4 seasons so what would make them think this season would be different?  And for those Mo haters ready to hang this all on Paul Maurice, these words are coming from JR.  

The first thing for the Hurricanes to consider will be the projected workload for next season’s backup. If the team expects entrenched starter
Cam Ward
to flirt with 70 games as he did in 2007-08 and 2008-09, having a developing player in Peters start around 12 times with an occasional relief appearance would not be ideal, making Legace the better option. Also, if Ward were to experience further injury issues, not necessarily with his back but in general, Legace would provide a long-term veteran solution.

Edit:  My bad, those were Paul Branecky's words about Cam's potential workload and not JR's.  embarassed.gif   At least its being reported by an inside source that JR is weighing all his options and potential situations about Cam's workload for next season.  I just hope they think good and hard about making him a 70/12 goalie when he he hasn't yet proved he can carry that full load without problems down the stretch.  My guess is if he stays healthy, he probably can be a workhorse but coming off of the injuries he's had this past season, I'd rather play it a little safer knowing we have him under contract for the next 6 years.

I don't see a problem. Leighton is playing great. Lavi just needs to give him more starts....wait a minute....wrong team...wrong time.

The main reason to try to keep both is Cam's back. If Cam is out for an extended period we need both guys.

If Cam is completely good to go, then it really does depend on work load. Unless the GM steps in, Mo loves to ride him a goalie forever. In that case Peters as the back up will become the next Leighton: A few starts on the road against top opponents, a few bad starts and suddenly "he'll never be more than a minor league goalie". If Peters can get a decent number of starts he is the clear choice to me. Same numbers as Legace and part of the youth movement.

I would try to keep them both initially. Start Peters in the AHL and see what Cam's back does. If Cam is healthy, then commit to getting Peters some starts and see if we can trade Legace. If Cam has health issues, we'll be glad we have both back ups. 

More depth in goal?

CAM

Manny

Peters

Murphy

Pogge

If you keep Manny then who do you send to the ECHL Murphy, or Pogge? Or do you try to loan one of them to another AHL team?

And for those Mo haters ready to hang this all on Paul Maurice, these words are coming from JR.   
Actually, those words in your second quote come from Branecky, not JR. JR didn't say much of anything.

No clue how this will all work out. I would want to keep them all but it does create a logjam. A trade would solve that pretty easily, though. My guess is that it'll be Peters.

[quote name='JLP wrote:

TSA'] And for those Mo haters ready to hang this all on Paul Maurice, these words are coming from JR.   

Actually, those words in your second quote come from Branecky, not JR. JR didn't say much of anything.

No clue how this will all work out. I would want to keep them all but it does create a logjam. A trade would solve that pretty easily, though. My guess is that it'll be Peters.

Oops, fixed...my mistrake.