The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
TSA

What do you see for the back up goalie situation next season?

I thought Manny would be the smart decision as back up. Peters gets more work in Charlotte and if  Ward-O gets hurt you have two goalies that can play at the NHL level. But the point made about a crowded crease in Charlotte is valid. It would appear someone will need to go. If it is Manny I think we will find out pretty soon.  If I remember  correctly Manny's agent asked for a relatively quick decision so Manny could seek another contract if the Canes don't want him. I think JR will do that for him.

Manny proved he's a true professional backup, no not knocking on him. He came in prepared off the bench, he kept a game ready mentality even on the bench and it showed. If Cam's going for 65-70 starts we need a game ready guy for those 1 out of 15 starts he'll get. Wins are wins, if John Grahame ever touched .500 we'd of made the playoffs one year.

I dont feel confident if Peters is on the bench for 10 games he'll be mentally ready to go, he hasn't had to play back up at any level in a long time. Also it does nothing positive for his development.

Well, we all know how much our votes count---but I vote for Manny. Since he is a long term pro--he

knows how to keep himself sharp when he is idle for a while. Plus he is a positive, up beat force at practices etc.

I also think Mo would play Manny more often in relief of Cam, than he would the rookie. (thus allowing caution with Cam)

Peters needs to play more frequently to stay sharp and hone his skills. (I think he was in goal when the Rats got swept

by the Hershey Bears)  rolleyes.gif

i do not see the issue. peters is a young goalie that needs more games instead of riding the bench. please explain how sitting on your rear is good for sharpening your leet skills between the pipes. legace has the experience, so it's not as much of a problem for him to to be backup. he has been there and done that. when legace first started for us i was like *%%, was scared because of his size, and was bewildered by his style( which in part is dictated by his size) and in general did not care for him being on this team. did like him as a player, just not here. i am converted, i like legace. he plays with a lot of heart, is a wily netminder, and i still flash back to the evil save he made in a pk on the backdoor attempt.

with ward, i think that we need to take an approach of rest early and often. he is the starting goalie, but that does not mean he has to start all but five games(exaggeration, barely). i would like to see the backup start one out of four games or so whoever we have as backup. more than likely not going to happen, but oh well.

I don't like the log jam, but if Manny was to sign a one year two way deal then I would be ok with him being the back up. I would then turn to Peters & sign him to a two year deal where the first was two way, and the second year would be one way.

Then you have Manny as the back up with Peters starting the year in Charlotte. Then the next year Peters becomes the back up & Manny retires or moves on.

I still don't like that Murphy or Pogge would start out in the ECHL, or loaned to another AHL team.

I may be way off base here, but I agree 100% with 10DollarTH. I think we should keep Manny and look at packaging Peters in a trade deal. I believe he showed enough while he was up with us that some teams would be interested. I believe he is going to be too good to remain a back-up. There are a lot of teams that need serious help in goal. The Playoffs have proved that. I say keep Manny for as long as he is effective while we develop one of our other young Goalies for the back-up position.

In the 82 game schedule I would like to see Ward play about 50 or so games and whomever is backup the remainder of the games.   This way, should the Canes make the playoffs his back won't be overtaxed.

I may be way off base here, but I agree 100% with 10DollarTH. I think we should keep Manny and look at packaging Peters in a trade deal. I believe he showed enough while he was up with us that some teams would be interested. I believe he is going to be too good to remain a back-up. There are a lot of teams that need serious help in goal. The Playoffs have proved that. I say keep Manny for as long as he is effective while we develop one of our other young Goalies for the back-up position.

Once Babchuk gets signed, him and Peters will make a nice package deal for a top 4 defenseman or top line winger. grin.gif

From the N &O:

Rutherford: Peters to back up Ward

Canes general manager Jim Rutherford said today that a decision has been made and that the team will go with Justin Peters as the backup to Cam Ward in goal next season.

Rutherford had said either Peters, 23, or veteran Manny Legace would be No. 2 goaltender and that the team would not look to sign or trade for anyone else.

"We've told Manny's agent that we will go with Justin," Rutherford said. "It's the right time for Justin in the process of his development. He improved so much last season and dominated in the American Hockey League (with the Albany River Rats).

"He's a great team guy. He played some very good games here for us and this is the next step for him. He looks like he has a very good future for the Hurricanes."

Legace, 37, was signed out of the AHL in November after Ward suffered a slashed leg in a game in Columbus. He will become an unrestricted free agent on July 1.

"Manny did a great job for us," Rutherford said.

Read more: http://blogs.newsobserver.com/canes/rutherford-peters-to-back-up-ward#ixzz0qYwRaEK1