The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
carolina_kat

Brind'Amour a Hall of Famer

Well I agree Im not sure if he'll get in but you have to realize Bure and Gilmour still could be inducted, Yzerman just got inducted so Gilmour and Bure will have their turns eventually too. I don't think Brind'Amour will be in the hall right away but knowing what he's done for Carolina I think he'll be in eventually.

I've said it before and I'll say it again, Rod Brind'Amour will not be a HoF. People must remember it is the best of the best, not the good of the best. Brind'Amour has had a tremendous career and has left everything on the ice, but he simply is not one of the game's greatest of all time. We may like to think so, and of course he'll be in our HoF, but just cannot see him making the NHL cut.

Hope I'm wrong though!

I've said it before and I'll say it again, Rod Brind'Amour will not be a HoF. People must remember it is the best of the best, not the good of the best. Brind'Amour has had a tremendous career and has left everything on the ice, but he simply is not one of the game's greatest of all time. We may like to think so, and of course he'll be in our HoF, but just cannot see him making the NHL cut.

Hope I'm wrong though!

He is 48th all time in points, and 45th all time in assists. When you consider how many thousands of players have played, yes I would consider him one of the all time greats. To compare him to other recent inductees, he has 281 more goals than Igor Larionov, 130 more assists than Glenn Anderson, 167 more goals than #$%$ Duff, 55 more goals than Cam Neely, and 168 more points than Pat Lafontaine. I decided to stop at 2003, but you get the idea.

Edit: Obviously, I can't help that it censored "Richard" Duff's name lol.

Rod Brind'Amour has played 22 seasons in the NHL. TWENTY-TWO seasons! Because of that, one cannot take his stats into consideration when looking for whether he's a HoF or not. Longevity has allowed him to reach the great stats that you speak, not because he is one of the best players of all time. I completely agree that if one only looks at Roddys stats, then yes he would be a HoF. But then take a peak over at his games playes, and the seasons played, and all of the sudden it's like "wow, this guy has been around a long time to pile up those stats." Fact is that he's never had a 100 point season, only one 90 point season, and only three 80 point seasons. He's just not one of the best of all time, IMO of course.

NOW, if games played, two-way ability, and leadership are all given significant weight in his voting, then he has a great shot to make it. I just don't know if those things are tangible enough or not for NHL HoF voters to consider when thinking about a player like Rod Brind'Amour.

All-Star games are really just popularity contests... I hope that doesn't keep the best face-off man in the league (dare I say history?) out of his rightful place in the HoF.

I'm sure there are other Brind'Amour's in the Hall of Fame... heart and soul players who have lead teams to championships.

IMO Brind'Amour will go to the HoF eventually. As far as him playing 22 NHL Seasons, it's because he conditioned his body and got into the shape that enabled him to play so long. Why should the fact that he can play longer cancel out the stats he has put up? And it's not like he was always and offensive first player, like so many of the players described in the OP. I think he deserves to be in the HoF and eventually will get in.

[quote name='ColossalCaniac wrote:

fallen_apostle']I've said it before and I'll say it again, Rod Brind'Amour will not be a HoF. People must remember it is the best of the best, not the good of the best. Brind'Amour has had a tremendous career and has left everything on the ice, but he simply is not one of the game's greatest of all time. We may like to think so, and of course he'll be in our HoF, but just cannot see him making the NHL cut.

Hope I'm wrong though!

He is 48th all time in points, 45th all time in assists and 23rd all time in game winning goals. When you consider how many thousands of players have played, yes I would consider him one of the all time greats. To compare him to other recent inductees, he has 281 more goals than Igor Larionov, 130 more assists than Glenn Anderson, 167 more goals than #$%$ Duff, 55 more goals than Cam Neely, and 168 more points than Pat Lafontaine. I decided to stop at 2003, but you get the idea.

Edit: Obviously, I can't help that it censored "Richard" Duff's name lol.
Adam Oates and Doug Gilmour are 16 and 17th alltime in points,  with Adam Oates 6th in all time assists..... Bernie Nichols is not in,  he also has more goals, points than Rod,  he averaged over a point a game (1.07 vs Rod .83), had a 70 goal season.    

Not really sure if you can compare 1 stat of a player that got in unless you look at all the stats.......Rod has more assists than Glenn Anderson, but Anderson has a +- of +201,  more goals, more cups, more allstar games....

Also, Rod is not 23rd in game winning goals, that is Ron Francis.   As much as I would like for him to get in,  I think at best he is borderline.

Well, if he does get in, it will be awhile.  In the meantime, he certainly goes into the Canes HOF.  His sweater will be in the rafters sooner than later.  Might be a long while before another one heads up there after that.

Well, Scott Stevens made it in...and he was just as good a player as Rod. Frankly, I'd take Rod over him any day.

Scott Stevens - 3 time Stanley Cup Champion, 4 time Norris Trophy runner-up, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Plus / Minus Award winner, Most games ever played by a defenseman (until Chelios passed him,) 16 time All-Star, and probably the most devastating body checker the game has ever seen.

I think Scott Stevens was a lot clearer of a decision for the HOF than Brindamour.

[quote name='MarkyMarkNC wrote:

AWACSooner']Well, Scott Stevens made it in...and he was just as good a player as Rod. Frankly, I'd take Rod over him any day.

Scott Stevens - 3 time Stanley Cup Champion, 4 time Norris Trophy runner-up, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Plus / Minus Award winner, Most games ever played by a defenseman (until Chelios passed him,) 16 time All-Star, and probably the most devastating body checker the game has ever seen.

I think Scott Stevens was a lot clearer of a decision for the HOF than Brindamour.

As much as I love Rod and as much as I can not stand Steves,  this is no comparison.     Stevens of +393 is 13th best of alltime....Rod at a minus 39 has to be closer to the bottom of the list than the top...... 16 all star games vs  1.    3 cups  to 1.  

This discussion should be with your head, not your heart.   I do hope he gets in, but may take awhile and not a sure thing.

For those saying that the last two seasons have hurt Rod's chances, I would point out that Wayne Gretzky had 9 goals, and was a -23 in his last NHL season (and a -11 in his 2nd to last season). Obviously I'm not making a comparison between the two players, I'm just saying that they look at your career holistically, not just the last two seasons you played.And while I do think that when you look at his career numbers, he is one of the all time great two-way forwards in the NHL, its so hard to draw the line in the sand to determine what is a hall of famer. There are people with much better stats than him who have not got in yet, but also some with worse who have got in.

And carolina_kat you are right about the game winning goals. My bad.

I certainly don't think he'll be a first ballot automatic HOFer. And while I do think that some of his stats are important and are "up there" I think the importance of his two-way play and his faceoff win %-age will have an effect as well. If he doesn't get it, I can imagine it will be a pretty near thing.

His leadership has resulted in an organization that no-one respected winning the Stanley Cup and becoming a model franchise for the NHL.  The accomplishments of his teams have turned out more and more fans every season - fans from what was once called purely Nascar country.  The Caniac Nation is a large part of the NHL fanbase, and rightfully so.  That's got to count for something.  I hope they take these things into consideration, because they speak volumes to what he's done for the league and the sport here in North Carolina.

I think he will get in eventually.

On a side note, listening to the David Glenn radio show today, he made a comment about "IF" this was Brind'Amour's last home game.

Rod Brind'Amour took the opening face off for the last home game of the season and has now reportedly taken himself out of the last game of the season in Boston and won't make the trip with the team.

Big decisions loom ahead for Rod Brind'Amour, I hope he makes the right choice for himself and his family.

http://fans.hurricanes.nhl.com/topic/16910?page=-1

IF Brind'amour returns for his final season, it would be as a 4th line center, though the past couple games, he has shown some jump in his step. IF he decides to hang them up, no one would blame him, though it would have been nice to give him a proper send off for all that he has done here. Would you think the Canes retire his jersey? He would join Francis and Wesley, the first Captains of the Canes to lead the team to the Stanley Cup Finals if this is the case.

I watched highlights from the Stars game where it will possibly be Modano's last game. Great way he finished out his career if it was.

Though his comment of possibly being "Favre-esque" was hilarious.

I think it was already said by JR that he would have his jersey raised in the RBC center and have his own special ceremony for a proper send off and thank you.  If last night really was his last game, and based on everything we know about Rod Brind'Amour, it was the perfect send off with a big win in front of a huge home crowd where he saw the young Captain he helped mentor take full control of the team.  He left the ice quietly with no attention on him, just as he likes it.

The fact that Rod's parents' were in the stand last night, and they attended the practice (which Tripp said they have never done before) looks like retirement to me.