The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
Swanson

Brind'Amour won't make a rash decision on future

Tough decision for all involved.  I say let Brind'Amour enjoy his upcoming wedding first, then I think his future will become clearer for him.  Its always best to step away for a period to be able to clear your mind when making big life changing decisions.  I really don't want to see him get forced out of this game, especially from a team he had everything to do with building and putting on the map.  He should be allowed to leave the ice on his own terms and signed a contract that allows him that right to do so.

It would be great to have him work with or head up a special division for the training staff and remain part of the organization if he hangs up the skates for good.

Well, just in case he decides to hang em up, the wife and I are going to Boston next weekend to see him possibly play his final game.

I understand the sentimentality and I agree we need to give Brind'Amour space to decide. But I hope if he decides to continue to play we can find him a home elsewhere.  The die is cast and this team is moving on.  I agree with coastal that if push comes to shove we buy out the contract. I still want to remember Brindy as one of our best.

Of course I wish Brind'Amour the best and love what he has meant to this franchise....but...

A rash decision? Are you kidding me? The only reason that this decision wasn't made for him in November is that we were already out of the playoffs so why bother. This has already dragged on forever. That plus/minus has told the tale for two YEARS now. Time to move on was at least a year ago, really two years ago.There is no way on God's Hurricane Red Earth that Rod Brind'Amour skates on the ice for the Canes next year unless he is a coach. Write it down and send it to him.

Announce your retirement Friday. Major Brind'Amour send off last game of the year. I'd be there with cowbells on. 

He's famous, he has a cup, he's a muli-millionaire, and had a 22 year NHL career. Nothing to feel bad about. 

Just to play devil's advocate here.....would it really be so bad for Rod to play his last season out as long as he has limited ice time, or is healthy scratched some of the time?  We are paying him the full amount one way or another since he was over 35 when he signed the contract.

As bad as he has played this year, he hasn't actually been that bad since being relegated to the bottom lines.  I think he was -23 for the first three months of the year, and only -4 since then.  Why pay extra money for a Conboy or Dwyer type who is never going to be an NHL caliber player anyway, when we are already paying Rod.  Seems like a good way to save a half mil a year if you ask me.

If it takes a roster spot away from a young up and coming prospect, then you don't do it, but it doesn't do much good for a Boychuk or Tlusty or Bowman to be playing 5 minutes a game on the fourth line anyway.

Just to play devil's advocate here.....would it really be so bad for Rod to play his last season out as long as he has limited ice time, or is healthy scratched some of the time?  We are paying him the full amount one way or another since he was over 35 when he signed the contract.

As bad as he has played this year, he hasn't actually been that bad since being relegated to the bottom lines.  I think he was -23 for the first three months of the year, and only -4 since then.  Why pay extra money for a Conboy or Dwyer type who is never going to be an NHL caliber player anyway, when we are already paying Rod.  Seems like a good way to save a half mil a year if you ask me.

If it takes a roster spot away from a young up and coming prospect, then you don't do it, but it doesn't do much good for a Boychuk or Tlusty or Bowman to be playing 5 minutes a game on the fourth line anyway.

This.  He's not hurting them on the 4th line and do we really want to see the Boychuk's and the Bowman's stuck on 4th line for minimal minutes?  If we have to pay him and take the cap hit, let him play the contract out for his last year.  We have the youngest team in the league right now, they're going to need some veterans to balance out all the youth.

If he was still struggling like he was the first half of the season I'd be more inclined to strongly suggest he retire but since he's been holding his own and still winning key face-offs, I'm not that quick to run him off the ice anymore.

Please explain how -30 on 13 minutes a night isn't hurting the team? If he doesn't retire, buy him out and take the 700k or so savings and get a decent 4th line center who will be closer to 0, and that can only help the team. He is still struggling, the minus isn't growing as much because he is getting fewer minutes. The same thing happened last year. It's painful watching him be manhandled out there, and I have to think (hope) he feels it.

While Brindy hasn't been up to his normal standards the past two seasons I'm not ready to throw him under the bus just yet.  Why not wait & see what happens at the start of next season? I think he could be a great influence in the locker room next season with all the young guns we will have on the team.     

If Brind'amour were to retire, the salary would still count against the cap but the Hurricanes wouldn't have to actually pay him a cent. And since it's highly unlikely they will be spending anywhere near the cap, replacing Brind'amour with a minor league player would be a huge savings.

Why not wait and see what happens at the start of next season? Didn't we do that already last year after his -23, only to see him go -29 so far this year and see a gigantic drop in production as well? Yeah, let's do it again, because at 40 years old Brind'amour is ripe for a comeback.  paranoid.gif

Since the start of the year 2010, Brind'amour is -7. The team is 23-12-5 during that timespan. Brind'amour has been playing ridiculously soft minutes against nobodies on the fourth line on a team with a winning record and still is getting outscored by a fair margin. That is not "not bad." And even if it was, "not bad" is not worth $3M.

Wins face-offs? I'd rather win a face-off 42.2% of the time with someone who can actually play hockey after the face-off (Staal) than win a face-off 58.8% of the time with someone who is a liability on the ice (Brind'amour). The fact that Brind'amour is a -52 over the last two seasons show that his ability to win face-offs is completely negated by his inability to actually do something positive for his team after the face-off.

There's no way for someone to praise and say it's time for him to go without sounding like an !%%. It's an unfair topic, but my vote is it's time for him to retire.

I dont even feel like getting into it as theres no way to do this without bashing Brindy, but 3 mil is alot of cash to be spent on a 4th liner and he can provide wisedom from an office job. Faceoffs...not really a point anymore, he doesnt take the big draws now. I'd hope considering who he is he'd win alot of 4th line draws but 4th lines arent meant to score...they kinda just skate around the ice and let the guns rest. We can pay someone 2.5 mil less to do the same thing next year I like our AHL'ers but some of the guys such as Dwyers come off as career 3rd liners to me and wouldn't hurt putting him on the 4th.

I will concede that the Brind'Amour effect does not seem to be much in play with him in a diminished role. Since his demotion this team has been winning. (They need to lose and can't seem to manage that, but that's another topic). 

However, a 4th liner needs to check, play physical and cycle and control the puck along the boards. Rod does none of these things. The absence of Brind'Amour does not relegate Boychuk and Bowman to the 4th line. That logic makes no sense. Just pick up a couple of 4th liners, or bring up different, non scoring guys from Albany.

LaRose started on the 4th line, and so can say Samson who is great at controlling the puck on the boards. We can drop Kostopolous down there and just pick up a 4th line center somewhere who is hard-nosed and maybe on the big side. 

I understand the Brind'Amour love. I'll never forget being in that building when he hoisted the cup. But it is WAY past time for him to put a bow on his long and on balance wonderful career and stop insisting on continuing this parody of it. 

Rod has given a lot to this team as well as to the fans in the area.  This should be his decision and his alone.  He has a contract through next year that the team will honor as it should.  If Rod thinks that he can contribute, we will play him as long as he can be a help to the team, if he can't then he will sit.  If Rod wants to retire, he certainly has earned it.  If he wants for the team to buy him out, I'm sure that all he has to do is ask.   While I do hope that #17 ends his career as a Cane, if he wants to be traded then JR should shop him and if there are any takers, make the trade (I can't see this happening but you never know).

That being said, how many of you would retire and walk away from a bucket of money?  f*#^ pride!  This is about the money.  If it were me and I had a year left on my contract and I thought that I could no longer play at the NHL level .... I'm telling my agent to tell the team to buy me out, or lay out my uniform.