The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
Whaler1

Rats' Official Playoff Thread - Rats lead round #1 series 3-0

The Rats clinched home ice Saturday night. The Times Union has more: Rats secure playoff home ice with win as does the Albany River Rats home page: Rats clinch East Division's 2nd Seed Playoffs start on April 14th @ 7pm.

I will try to post any local coverage articles here. Photos from the playoffs will be put in the photo thread. We also keep a running log of articles, game announcements and game results at Albany River Rats Booster Club Facebook Page. You do not have to be a member of Facebook to read the page, only if you want to post comments.

Cheers!

Will Sutter get recalled for the playoff games?

From Paul's TTS Blog:

Carson, Dwyer and Sutter will not be re-joining the Rats, as they haveeither established themselves as NHL players or would be exposed towaivers.

First game of the River Rats Playoff run is Wednesday April 14th @ 7pm.

You can listen live through the link on albanyriverrats.com or go to theahl.com to watch it live. I'll try to post any coverage and the rest of the schedule as it becomes available. We do not know who we're playing yet. Should know by tomorrow night. Hope they dropped the boys off on their way home from Boston. wink.gif

LET'S GO RATS!!

So why was Jay Harrison not sent to Albany? He played there regularly,and I would not think he is considered as making the 'Canes lineup. He would add more defensive depth for the Rats.

Alrighty we FINALLY know who we're playing and when:

Game 1 – Wed., Apr. 14 –at Albany, 7:00

Game 2 – Fri., Apr. 16 – at Albany, 7:00

Game 3 – Sun., Apr. 18 – at W-B/Scranton, 3:05

Game 4 – Mon., Apr. 19 – at W-B/Scranton, 7:05

*Game 5 – Wed., Apr. 21 – at Albany, 7:00

*Game 6 – Sat., Apr. 24 – at W-B/Scranton, 7:05

*Game 7 – Sun., Apr. 25 – at Albany, 5:00

@fkelly - Don't know if they'll post it before the face off on Wed. Unfortunately they don't give us as much info as they do for Canes game days but if I have it you'll have it smile.gif

@Dukefan711 - Don't know but I'll see if I can find out  Edit: Apparently Harrison has to clear waivers: From the Albany Times Union

(I'm just a wealth of "idunno"s tonight, eh?)

Also, for those who are unaware, below is the clear day roster. We have a couple of new guys who were signed who aren't on it. I don't know how it applies to them. I'm hoping that someone will post a playoff roster. If they do you'll see it here.

Clear day roster:

The Rats’ clear-day roster:

Justin Peters (G)

Justin Pogge (G)

Forwards:

Mike Angelidis

Nicolas Blanchard

Drayson Bowman

Zach Boychuk

Stefan Chaput 

Nick Dodge

Steven Goertzen

Brad Herauf

Jacob Micflikier

Oskar Osala

Jerome Samson

Chris Terry

Jiri Tlusty

Defencemen:

Brett Bellemore

Casey Borer

Tim Conboy (he rarely plays forward in Albany)

Zack FitzGerald

Jay Harrison

Jamie McBain

Bryan Rodney

Below are some article links from the past few days. The first one is a good write up on Nick Dodge and Chris Terry. They're the two team "Iron Men" who have played every regular season game this season.

Daily Gazette: Iron Men

Daily Gazette: Albany releases four players

The AHL:  16 teams remain

Times Union:  River Rats all together again for postseason run

CBS 6:  Video
            River Rats ready for AHL playoffs

From the Booster Club FB page: GAME ON!!! The first round of the Calder Cup Playoffs are here and tonight YOUR Albany River Rats take on the Wilkes-Barre Scranton Penguins at 7pm at the Times Union Center. Join your Rats as they race for the cup! Let's thaw those Penguins! Let's take game one!! LET'S GO RATS!!!

To listen to the Rats games for free: WROW AM

To Watch the AHL games (there's a fee for this): AHL Live

For updates, article links and game summaries (which will also be posted here): Albany River Rats Booster Club Facebook Page

With 30 saves from Justin Peters and goals from Jacob Micfliker, Jamie McBain and 2 from Nick Dodge YOUR Albany River Rats took game 1 with a 4-3 final score! Three stars of the game were: 3rd WBS Nick Johnson; 2nd ALB Jacob Micflikier; 3rd ALB Nick Dodge

Story links will follow as soon as the news sites post them. I took over 10GB of photos tonight. They will be up before the next game. My take on tonight. They were a bit...sloppy, for lack of a better word. Glad we won, can't complain but we were up 3-1 at one point. I won't single out any one person who did poorly because I honestly wasn't paying close enough attention while shooting.

I will, however, single out three players that should be mentioned

Casey Borer -  played with more confidence than I've seen in awhile and I think that's a direct result of his call up. I don't think he lost anything when he returned earlier in the season, but he took a scary hit in Rochester and had been playing over cautious after that. Tonight he was hard on every hit I saw and it was nice to see him playing that way again.

Jacob Micflikier - if anyone told me at the beginning of the season that he was going to be the asset he's been i'd have laughed at you sheerly because of his size. I have to say that the organization (be it the Checkers alone or the Hurricanes overall) would be foolish to let this kid get away.He has repeatedly proven that he can play with anyone and he scores consistantly.

Nick Dodge - If he doesnt' get a call up next season I'm going to be seriously disappointed with whomever is doing the callup recommending. This kid gets better every season. Shows up for every game and regardless of what's going on around him doesn't quit until the final horn blows. He's excellent on the face off, not afraid to stand up for himself and is an excellent shooter.

Those are the three that pop to mind immediately tonight. I'm sure there were others.

Also I did a double take when I noticed Tom Barasso and Ron Francis standing behind me at one point (not directly behind me but close enough that I was startled). I'm hoping our boys put on a good show for them during the duration of their stay.

Wow, thanks for all the effort you put into this and hopefully people in the Front Office notice the other players that stand out, and it helps how you describe their character. From what I see on statistics, Osala, Tlusty, Dalpe have been good adds, and then you mention players like Mikfliker and Dodge, and Terry, etc, there is gonna be a competitive training camp in September! I wish the games would be televised, but I did have the score sheet open the whole time and it was good to see McBain with a goal and Bowman and Rodney with an Assist. I think the silver lining to this season the Hurricanes had was that we did get to play many of these guys, and so it is almost like the Hurricanes are in the playoffs with the Riverrats. Thanks again, I will be closely in touch with every game, and root on the rats to give those Penguins the payback from their parent club last year!roll.gif

Wow, thanks for all the effort you put into this and hopefully people

in the Front Office notice the other players that stand out, and it

helps how you describe their character. From what I see on statistics,

Osala, Tlusty, Dalpe have been good adds, and then you mention players

like Mikfliker and Dodge, and Terry, etc, there is gonna be a

competitive training camp in September! I wish the games would be

televised, but I did have the score sheet open the whole time and it

was good to see McBain with a goal and Bowman and Rodney with an

Assist. I think the silver lining to this season the Hurricanes had was

that we did get to play many of these guys, and so it is almost like

the Hurricanes are in the playoffs with the Riverrats. Thanks again, I

will be closely in touch with every game, and root on the rats to give

those Penguins the payback from their parent club last year!roll.gif

@Dukefan - Getting Rats information from me is never a problem. Getting me to STOP usually is... wink.gif On the three you mentioned:

Osala - I'm floored by him. If I didn't know he was a forward I would swear he was a D-man. He plays the ice exceptionally well and I honestly think that the organization that traded him had no idea the talent this kid has. The Hurricanes got a great steal in him and, having spoken to him @ one of the events, he's excited to be here - and being his homeland, also excited about the beginning of next year.

Dalpe - Sees the ice exceptionally well for someone who is as young as he is. Hasn't made any glaring "rookie" mistakes that I can recall. He's still developing, but I think he'll do well.

Tlusty - this one I'm torn on. Tlusty played excellent, I thought, while he was in Raleigh. For some reason he seems....slower and less likely to shoot the puck  in Albany. He's not bad by any stretch, just seems less confident maybe?

I looked forward to Wednesday night for the game, but couldn't find any video of it online... which was disappointing.  BUT, they won!  And it was a great last minute win, too, so that's awesome!  Thanks for the info and updates Sandpiper, you rock!  Is Conboy still the captain?

SP214   great write up. Thanks for keeping us  informed. Your comments are always interesting and make me feel like  I'm up to date on the Rats.  Let's get this series wrapped up and go Bear hunting.

@ jb_online - check your pm and at the moment we don't have a "C" on the team. Conboy hasn't been captain since last year. Dwyer was at the beginning of the year but y'all kept him smile.gif Right now the "A"'s reside on Blanchard, Goertzen and Angelidis. Angelidis is who, in my opinion, should be wearing the "C" if they decide to pick one. He's more than lead the team this year. Our announcer calls him "the heartbeat" of the Rats. I'd have to agree. He's who I think of when I think of the face of the Rats

@OBX - thanks. I would love to see us go Bear hunting if for no other reason than to see Osala be able to take on the team that let him go. Plus there's at least one bear I would love to see lose smile.gif

News stories to follow....

So below is all the news from last night.

Nick Dodge was named 1st star of the AHL last night for his 2 goals, one of which was the game winner

The Infestation: Rats attack Penguins 4-3

Troy Record: For openers.... a victory

Daily Gazette: AHL Playoff Results

Times Union: 
they had half....handed coverage all season NOW they decide to over cover it. Whatever works. I'm all for lots of coverage of our boys...

Conboy breaks nose but will play

Potential ugly loss turned into apretty (but still ugly) win

Dodge's goal with 50.4 seconds left carries Rats

Rats win a thriller

Whack and hacks, and win for Rats

Samson follows orders to breakout season