The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
Whaler1

Rats' Official Playoff Thread - Rats lead round #1 series 3-0

Good morning folks. Game 2 in Albany tonight! I've posted the article links below. To the best of my knowledge Justin Peters will be getting the start in net for the Rats again. I'm no good at lines so I can't even begin to guess at the starting line-up. Also, for those watching/listening to the games. WBS's goalie, Thiessen, has been called up so John Curry will most likely be in net for them.

Daily Gazette:
Francis, Barasso come to Albany
Chaput's Chances
Rats learn from mistakes in Wednesday's win                       

Times Union: 
Chaput may return
Show (up) time
WBS will change goalies for game 2

Troy Record:
No more hanging 'round
Pens coach no stranger to Albany

Times Leader - a look at the other side's news
Pens want to reduce Rats' net front game

Also I found two Game One video clips on CBS 6:
Rats vs Penguins Game 1

Penguins vs River Rats

Good luck to them (and you).  Its nice now that we've a had a good at some of these kids, definately feels more our team.  At least we get some playoffs to cheer for.

Thanks for all the links smile.gif

eyes.gifYou're welcome (to the thank yous) and my family thanks you because they're not hockey people and then they dont' have to listen to it. LOL

So here's the post game update:

From the Booster Club FB Page: With goals from Chris Terry, Nick Dodge and Jamie McBain YOUR Albany River Rats snatched a Game 2 victory from the Wilkes-Barre Scranton Penguins to make the series 2-0. Justin Peters faced 29 shots and made 27 saves, the final score 3-2. Great job Rats!!

Three stars of the game: 1st - Nick Dodge; 2nd - Chris Terry; 3rd - Justin Peters

AHL Game sheet

Times Union Blog:

Top line still looking to score

Getting everything out of Dodge

River Rats take a 2-0 series lead

the Rats came out sloppy again tonight. It was a little nerve wracking in the first period. I'm not a fan of it, but if it's going to continue to make them win hockey games then have at it. Personally it gives me heartburn. eyes.gif That being said by the third period they seemed to get it together and all three goals were beauties. Nick Dodge, Chris Terry and Jamie Mc Bain continue to produce.

McBain - you've seen McBain in action in Raleigh. He had improved before his call up, he's improved since his call up, I can only imagine he'll continue to do so.

Nick Dodge - see my earlier post or read "Getting everything out of Dodge". I don't know that anyone is going to appreciate the player he is until they see him play in person.

Chris Terry - This kid is able to play on any line with anyone. He sees the ice well. He can find the back of the net, but he doesn't always take the shot. that's probably my only complaint, but he's improved during the season so hopefully that will lessen in his second pro year next season.

Photos will be forthcoming in the Photo thread. Took a ton of them tonight - apparently more memory cards means more frames. The rest of Wednesday and all of tonights should be up by tomorrow afternoon if not sooner. Also, spoke with Stefan Chaput tonight. Said his arm was feeling better and hopes to get a chance to get in on some of this playoff action.

Here's hoping. LET'S GO RATS!!!

I bet that crowded bus isn't nearly as comfortable as that chartered jet.  Good incentive for the one's who have had a taste of the NHL to prove their worth in these playoffs.

Good luck again sandpiper, your fans up in Albany deserve to be rewarded in this last season.

Go Rats !!  (that's more fun to say than "Go Checkers" will be next year) dry.gif

I read the articles above and Jeff Daniels said "there's no quit in this team--" That bodes well
for the guys who graduate to the big club----that's what we want !  Yes ?

The Rats take game 3 and lead the series 3-0! It would be nice to sweep the Penguins and advance as soon as tomorrow night.
@jb - beat me to the update smile.gif lol

from the Booster Club FB page: With goals from Mike Angelidis and Jerome Samson, coupled with 31 saves from Justin Peters, YOUR Albany River Rats took a 3-0 series lead over the WBS Penguins. 

I'll post all the news articles in the morning, but after driving to Wilkes-Barre and back I'm tired tired.gif

The first and second periods of this game were just ridiculous. Turnovers and penalties. To be honest from where I was I couldn't tell if it was the officiating or the Rats fault. They came out in the 3rd though a whole new team and got done what needed to be done. Mike Angelidis, heartbeat and team leader, showed them how it was done and Jerome Samson (finally!) broke through the Penguins to get his first goal of the series. They've been able to shut him down but good and you could see his frustration tonight. I'm hoping this goal shatters that wall.

On a side note it was nice to see so many Rats fans there tonight. Including two ladies from Raleigh (I'm embarassed to say I never got your names) as well as Jim Rutheford and Paul Maurice who both chatted with some of the Rats fans for a moment. Say what you like, but they could have just ducked inside and made themselves scarce.

EDIT: whoops! forgot to mention Mike Angelidis, 1st star of the game, Zach Boychuk 2nd star of the game; Justin Peters 1st star of the AHL

Yes---I'd say that makes things look good for our future. Glad JR was there. Maybe checking out Peters?

(among others, of course.)   GO RATS !!

Yes---I'd say that makes things look good for our future. Glad JR was there. Maybe checking out Peters?

(among others, of course.)   GO RATS !!

There's a couple of unsung Rats that I'm really glad both JR and Paul Maurice got a look at. 

These kids are showing they're the real deal.  Glad they're being scouted closely.

Glad I finally found a use for this guy:

sweep0812.gif Nice win!

How am I supposed to post this : Raise your brooms high, YOUR Albany River Rats sweep the 1st round against the Wilkes-Barre Scranton Penguins with a final game 4 score of 5-3!!!!!! GREAT JOB RATS!!!! We couldn't be prouder!!

if you guys are beating me to the punch??? nice broom man btw. LOVE him

How am I supposed to post this : Raise your brooms high, YOUR Albany River Rats sweep the 1st round against the Wilkes-Barre Scranton Penguins with a final game 4 score of 5-3!!!!!! GREAT JOB RATS!!!! We couldn't be prouder!!

if you guys are beating me to the punch??? nice broom man btw. LOVE him

Sorry but this is the closest to playoffs we have and its our future too.  Not to mention we're pretty happy for you too.  smile.gif

My broom man is dying to be posted on the Rats board, go for it.

Boychuk’s goal gives River Rats sweep of Penguins

WILKES-BARRE, Pa. — Zach Boychuk’s wraparound goal with 6:48 remaining gave Albany River Rats a 5-3 victory over the Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins tonight and a sweep of their best-of-7 American Hockey League opening-round playoff series in Mohegan Sun Arena at Casey Plaza.

After the Rats rallied three times from one-goal deficits, Boychuk gave Albany its first lead of the night on his unassisted tally, his first of the postseason.

The Rats, earning their first series victory in 12 years, will await the winner of the Hershey-Bridgeport series in the quarterfinals. Hershey, with a 3-1 lead, can close out Bridgeport on Wednesday night in Hershey.

Jamie McBain scored from 170 feet into an empty net to seal the victory.

Jerome Samson scored on a rebound of Mike Angelidis’ shot at 1:49 of the third period to tie the game for the Rats, 83 seconds after Nick Johnson had given the Penguins their third lead of the game.

Oskar Osala and McBain scored second-period goals to erase the Rats’ earlier deficits.

McBain scored on a slap shot from the right point, inches from the blue line, with 23.4 seconds remaining to send the teams to the second intermission at 2-2.

Osala got his first of the playoffs at 12:32 of the second to erase the Rats’ 1-0 deficit. Osala converted a pass from Jiri Tlusty on a 2-on-1 break, beating Penguins goaltender John Curry.

Wilkes-Barre/Scranton answered that with its second power-play goal of the series — Albany never had a man-advantage goal — as Chris Conner beat Rats goalie Justin Peters from in front.

The Rats had five-on-three power-play opportunties, of 33, 70 and 16 seconds, but couldn’t convert any.

Wilkes-Barre scored the lone goal of the first at 15:33, just as a penalty to Drayson Bowman expired. Chris Lee had the puck at the top of the left face-off circle and pass cross-ice to Wyatt Smith, who had plenty of time to beat Peters.

The River Rats outshot the Penguins, 39-29.

http://blog.timesunion.com/hockey/end-of-1st-period-wilkes-barrescranton-1-river-rats-0/5340/#more-5340

Rats news links compiled by The Infestation:

AlbanyRiverRats.com

Rats sweep Pens with 5-3 victory

Albany Times Union

For Rats, win is sweep

Rats notes 'n quotes: A well-deserved day off\

Rats hope to be home

Troy Record

River Rats complete sweep

WNYT-13 Albany

Rats win 5-3, complete sweep

Schenectady Daily Gazette 

Rats 5, Pens 3: Notes - Possession is 9/10 of the law;

Get out the brooms

Game Winner

Scranton Times-Tribune

Penguins' playoff season ends with loss to Albany

Wilkes-Barre Times Leader

Penguins eliminated

WBSPenguins.com

Penguins' season ends with 5-3 loss to River Rats

TheAHL.com

Official scoresheet

Head coach Todd Reirden said the fact that his team had to make such a strong push during the last 30 games of the season may have been a reason why the Penguins ran out of gas in the third period of each game against Albany.

The Penguins’ top penalty-killer, Dustin Jeffrey, agreed it was a long push to get into the postseason, but being tired isn’t an excuse for getting swept.

“There’s no excuses. With five minutes left in the game we give up a goal with our season on the line. That’s the time when players make names for themselves,” Jeffrey said.

Bychuck’s game-winning goal, scored at 13:12 of the third period, will no doubt eat at the Penguins for a long time. With the puck behind the net, Curry left the net to play it into the corner. But Boychuk was able to gain possession and wrap the puck into the empty net to put Albany ahead for good.

“For it to end like that is pretty tough,” Curry said.

Pretty tough, but also pretty normal the way the entire series went for the Penguins.

“It certainly summed up the series,” Reirden said of Boychuk’s goal. “We start to make a push, get some momentum and score some goals, then a couple of shifts later they’re able to convert.”

The Penguins did make a push in the last few minutes, peppering Albany goaltender Justin Peters with shots, but were unable to get anything into the net.

“It’s frustrating. This was our best effort in the series and every time we got momentum they had an answer,” Jeffrey said

Full article that sandpiper posted

Its nice to see that same "never say die" attitude they had playing for the Canes carry into the playoffs for the Rats.  Looks real good for our future.

Lock and load Rats ... its almost time to go Bear hunting. GO RATS

I don't like the Bears normally, but I would LOVE to see us beat them for Osala's benefit. I don't know where their brains were when they traded him, but he's been a great catch for the Rats.