The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
Whaler1

Rats' Official Playoff Thread - Rats lead round #1 series 3-0

[quote name='sandpiper214 wrote:

OBXer']Lock and load Rats ... its almost time to go Bear hunting.
GO RATS

I don't like the Bears normally, but I would LOVE to see us beat them for Osala's benefit. I don't know where their brains were when they traded him, but he's been a great catch for the Rats.I saw the Bears play Norfolk the next to last game of season. They are big,strong and fast. Their transition game impressed me. They went from their end to the Norfolk end consistently with two or three outlet paces They look like the team to beat in the east. Of course they still have to win their series. I would like nothing better than to see the Rats take it to them.

Links courtesy of the Infestation:

Albany's McBain a playoff force, Troy Record

River Rats' Osala can give tips on Bears, Albany Times Union

With Everblades' season over, Rats add Pistilli, McNicoll, Albany Times Union

Rats attack, Schenectady Daily Gazette

Hershey vs. NHL?, Schenectady Daily Gazette

Rats still hungry, Schenectady Daily Gazette

'No friends on the ice', Schenectady Daily Gazette

Additional stories:

The AHL:   Rats enjoy a breather, prepare for round 2

btw - and this is me asking, not the booster club - How many people from the boards are planning on heading to Hershey if there's a game 5 on May 1? The booster club is planning a bus trip and I'd love to see a lot of Rats fans, Raleigh and otherwise, in one section making a ruckus smile.gif

Was the officiating as bad as it sounded?  Ugh, tough loss.  But at least the Rats proved they could handle the Bears in their own building.  That's a good sign... it would be a different story if the score ended up being 4-0 instead of 4-3 in OT.

I think the obvious thing to say is: excessive power play time given to the best PP team in the league = loss.

From the Booster Club Facebook page:
In spite of goals from Drayson Bowman, Jerome Samson (2) and 44 saves from Justin Peters, the Hershey Bears took Game 1 of the 2nd round with an overtime score of 4-3. Your Albany River Rats return to action in Hershey Sunday night for Game 2. The puck drops at 5pm. Take a deep breath, put it behind you and LET'S GO RATS!!!

3 stars of the game:
1st - Kyle Wilson
2nd - Justin Peters
3rd - Andrew Gordon

------------------------------
I didn't watch it, but I listened to the game. The boys battled hard. This was definately the hardest they've played against Hershey this season. I think that some of the officiating was shoddy - particularly the unsportsmanlike against Angelidis in the 3rd. Whether he deserved it or not, he doesn't pitch a fit for no reason. He was hit first. Such is life I suppose, but it seems like this tends to happen a lot when teams play Hershey. I'm hoping that (1) our boys can take a deep breath and kick some bear....tail Sunday night and (2) that this win makes the Bears a little overconfident. Rats win in 6 would be great - though purely for selfish reasons, I want photos of the win  :D

I listened to parts of the game. Tlusty got hurt in the first period and didn't return. Hope he is not sidelined long.

Sounded like they played them pretty tough---OT could have gone either way.  Time to regroup and get

them tomorrow !

GO RATS !!

Tough one for the Rats, but they took the heavily favored Bears to OT.  Tomorrow is another day, keep the faith

The Bears are really good. I think the Rats taking them to overtime on Bears home ice is a good sign. Winning game two will be

really important and I think the Rats can do it. 

I'm hoping that last night's win gave the Bears a false sense of security. I also hope that our boys keep their heads and, if the off balance officiating continues tonight, that they don't let it frustrate them.

Hershey took Game 2 of the 2nd round. . I think the officiating has been absolutely RIDICULOUS. The total penalties for the 3rd periods of the 1st and 2nd games: Albany - 7, Hershey - 1. I'm not going to rant because nobody wants to hear that. I'll post the news links in the morning when they become available and hope that Tuesday brings about a better game. We're putting up signs around the Rats ice for warm-ups that say "We Believe!! Let's Go Rats!!!" I'm hoping it adds some motivation for the boys

Keep the faith Rat fans. The River Rats are a good solid team and a couple of wins at home makes it a best 2 out of 3 series.

Links compiled by The Infestation:

Post-game coverage:

-----------------------------------------------------

I want to give you my thoughts on last night's game but I'm having trouble composing something without it turning into a rant. Suffice to say I am disappointed. Exceptionally disappointed...but not with our Rats. I'm disappointed with the officiating. I'm disappointed that the league allows this officiating. I'm disappointed in the people that call themselves Albany fans. 1871 was the attendance last night and sadly I think they padded that number. 1871 for a playoff game and they wonder why nobody wants to keep their team here long term - but that's a whole other discussion.

I'm also angry. I'm angry for Justin Peters who got clotheslined on his way off the ice after the horn blew at the end of the 2nd by Hershey's Holtby and the only pushment Holtby got was a 2 minute roughing. At least 2 more for unsportsmanlike would have been appropriate if not more. I'm angry for Jerome Samson who got put in a headlock by not one but 2 Hershey players while controling the puck while the ref looked directly at them and no call. I'm angry for Brad Herauf who got called for tripping. Keep an eye on this boy folks. Apparently he's gifted enough that he can trip a player with his mind because his stick was nowhere near the guy's legs. There are numerous others I could name.

Since I can see the rant beginning I'll stop. All the post game articles are above. I warn you if you're at all frustrated with this series to not read the Times Union Articles. I tried, got 2 lines in and said it wasn't worth the aggrivation. I believe that the Rats could take the next 4. They're a talented team and they want it. I just don't know if it will be allowed. I try not to whine about officiating because bad calls happen and when you lose you want to blame someone, but I'm not the only one frustrated so I know I'm not the only one seeing it. I'd love to hear the thoughts - both agree and disagree - of the fans watching in Carolina.

I didn't see or hear the game but I have a couple of friends who made the trip.  They agree with you that the reffing was suspect and the Rats players at points looked helpless.  The crowd wasn't good and it seemed the fans already threw in the towel,  so I can certainly understand your disappointment in that.

You're a great fan and Rat's supporter sandpiper and you're entitled to vent you're frustrations.  You've supported this team through the good bad and the ugly and haven't been afraid to call them out when its been deserved, so I doubt anyone here would think your rant was just about your team losing.   Vent away but keep in mind, the players are getting valuable (yet frustrating) playoff experience that can only help them moving forward.  Several of them will bring that experience to Raleigh with them in September and it will pay off.

I didn't see or hear the game but I have a couple of friends who made the trip.  They agree with you that the reffing was suspect and the Rats players at points looked helpless.  The crowd wasn't good and it seemed the fans already threw in the towel,  so I can certainly understand your disappointment in that.

You're a great fan and Rat's supporter sandpiper and you're entitled to vent you're frustrations.  You've supported this team through the good bad and the ugly and haven't been afraid to call them out when its been deserved, so I doubt anyone here would think your rant was just about your team losing.   Vent away but keep in mind, the players are getting valuable (yet frustrating) playoff experience that can only help them moving forward.  Several of them will bring that experience to Raleigh with them in September and it will pay off.

Oh I agree they're getting experience they will need in Charlotte - particularly the rookies. Even if you're called up, it's different hockey during the playoffs. I plan on following these guys, albeit from a distance now, next season. I'll continue to post when I can next season. Though hopefully this season isn't over quite yet. I'm not ready to dim the lights and leave and I dont' think they are either.  I shot last night's game so those will be up later this morning.

Lets not jump ship just yet.  Two overtime games in the series so It could just as easily be 2-1 in favor of Albany.  It will be tough to win four straight against the talented Bears but not impossible.    GO RATS!