The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
Whaler1

Rats' Official Playoff Thread - Rats lead round #1 series 3-0

Lets not jump ship just yet.  Two overtime games in the series so It could just as easily be 2-1 in favor of Albany.  It will be tough to win four straight against the talented Bears but not impossible.    GO RATS!

This is what I'm hoping. I don't care if they put Pogge in net to switch things up. I can't imagine Hershey has done too much research on him. Why not try it? I know they CAN do it, I just don't know if they WILL

Sorry sandpiper214. At least we made the Bears earn it. It has been fun reading about and watching the Rats over the last few years. I hope Albany gets another team.

From the Booster Club FB Page:

It is with an exceptionally heavy heart that I post this. In spite of 34 saves from Justin Peters and goals from Jerome Samson (2), Chris Terry and Zach Boychuk your Albany River Rats fell to the Hershey Bears in overtime tonight. Tonight's loss brings to an end 17 years of Rats hockey in Albany. We will miss them and wish them nothing but the best next season!

Sorry sandpiper214. At least we made the Bears earn it. It has been fun reading about and watching the Rats over the last few years. I hope Albany gets another team.

Thanks OBX. I didn't have the best angle on the OT goal, I heard from numerous people that it hit the crossbar, the net came off and it went in after. I don't recall the goal light coming on. I think the ref called it a goal after most of Hershey cleared their bench. It is what it is and it's over, but I'm disappointed regardless

I've heard rumors of NJ making the move  from Lowell back to Albany. They claim people are excited about this. To be brutally honest, I'm not one of them. I guess we'll see though.

Sorry sandpiper, I know you're disappointed but the Rats had a pretty amazing season considering what they've been up against since the bus accident.  Its pretty amazing to think what Jeff Daniels was able to accomplish by piecing together a team all season long, sometimes with spare parts from the ECHL.  Its a huge credit to the coaching staff in Albany that all our young players were ready to compete and fill gaping holes on an NHL roster when they were called upon but even more credit needs to be given for being able to keep the Rats competitive till the bitter end while missing so many key players for long stretches.

Even though they were swept in the 2nd round, that wasn't indicative of the series because they were in every game and had just as much of a chance to win as they did lose.  The lessons learned will serve them well moving forward as they learn how to close out games and series.  I really hoped the Rats would end their time in Albany with a long playoff run for all the great fans like you that have supported the team so long, but I guess it just wasn't meant to be.   

The team and fans have been through a lot together and I hope Albany gets a new team sooner than later, you really deserve it.  I also think the bond between the current Rats and its fans is deep and I have a feeling they will be followed in Charlotte.  Maybe some of you will come down to NC and like so many of us from other states, might choose to stay. smile.gif

Thanks again for being the eyes, ears and voice of the Rats for all of us Cane's fans.  I hope a little thing like geography won't get in the way of you hanging around here keeping us all up on the happenings in Charlotte.

Thanks again for being the eyes, ears and voice of the Rats for all of us Cane's fans.  I hope a little thing like geography won't get in the way of you hanging around here keeping us all up on the happenings in Charlotte.

Are ya kidding me? .Barring any major life drama I plan on being in Charlotte for the home opener..lol you poor people are stuck with me smile.gif