The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
TSA

Canes 2010 general off season talk

Just for the record: 

I don't think Cullen is likely to come back either. Mainly because JR says he doesn't want to get involved with the early free agency and Cullen is likely to go then. If he does not, however, then the possibility rises.

Some times we post what we think is going to happen. Sometimes what we think should happen. 

My point is that he should be brought back. It will make this team much stronger instantly and it would not break the bank of a team that has shed salaries like crazy and likely going with lots of young wingers. He'd essentially be replacing...himself, in a team down Wallin, Corvo, Ward, Walker, etc.

Until Cullen signs with another team, it is possible that JR will bring him back. It is reasonable discussion.

Also, if Cullen does sign with another team, then until the season starts and we don't have a third line center, it is reasonable to speculate that we might want one.

We've gotta get someone for 3rd line center, because if JR is serious about putting Ruutu there all I can think of is "What a waste of talent" he needs 1-2 line minutes. 3rd line minutes for Ruutu is beyond ridicolous.

We just don't have many options with our current players.  I certainly can't see Dwyer there.  If we have to go free agent, I want Cullen back.  If not Cullen, then a clone of Cullen.  I really don't know who the clone of Cullen is though that will take an el-cheapo contract.  Hence why I think Matt gets signed elsewhere.  But until we fill the void, or decide on Dwyer or Ruutu or whomever, then I'm worried. 

Unless the Canes can put together 3 realyl good lines, I can't see sending Ruutu or Jokinen down to center the 3rd line. Of course, Ruutu needs to start producing top 6 points or he very well might find himself on the 3rd or 4th line.

I still think Rutherford needs to jettison 2-3 vet forwards from the current roster. I just don't see  any other team wanting Cole or Samsonov. LaRose, might get some bites if dangled in trade. And who knows what Brind'amour is doing. My gut feeling is he'll play, and start the season, but "retire" early in the season due to injuries. That scenario makes the most financial sense.

Does anybody see the kid Skinner having a realistic chance of cracking the lineup? 
Well since he's listed as a center (though he's also a wing on some reports), you'd think maybe he could be an option. Relatively small guy like that would look good on an energy-type line. Gets some NHL minutes without being completely thrown into the fire. If he works out, stick him on someone's wing and move him up. If not, I don't really know what would happen. I like it, if for no other reason than that it would keep Ruutu from having to play on the 3rd line.

I don't know... going from juniors straight to NHL is a tough assignment.  I wouldn't want to damage his confidence or strain his learning and development by throwing him in tender, he's only 18 years old.  I'd follow procedure and get him through the steps.  He's too valuable to risk over an already uncertain season.  But I'm no GM, I just watch from the couch.

Does anybody see the kid Skinner having a realistic chance of cracking the lineup? 
I think he has a chance. My guess is we will be very careful with his development and he would have to show a lot before we make him a roster player.

But it could be another Sutter scenario. Not old enough for the AHL and to good for juniors.

With the acquisition of Sanguinetti, I think Babs is signed and traded. Like Babchuk, Sanguinetti has a freakishly hard shot; however, Sanguinetti is way more talented than Babchuk when it comes to offensive skills. But like Babs, Sanguinetti also struggles in his own end.

Sanguinetti also won the fastest skater competition in the AHL last year - breaking the previous record. Speed is always good..

After looking at the Rangers fan board, some fan's are really upset for losing him, others are ok with it because of his lack of defensive skills.. I guess we'll see how well Tom Rowe can change that.

Well now all we have to look forward to:

If buyouts happen

For August/September to roll around to see if we grab a left ou FA

And millions of speculated lineups

Should be an boring offseason.

Boring... no way ....with the Checkers getting geared up and the launch of their  new website, the trip to Russia and Finland, the All Star game, the brutal schedule that was just released, qualifying offers and potential trades and buyouts, free agency, pick a seat, prospect camp, the Babchuk saga, build a lineup on your own, ....

I probably missed something but this site is what we make of it.......I have faith we won't let ourselves down.

i said offseason

The schedule, all star game, russia and finland have nothing to do with the offseason.

Free agency will be non existant to us.  Unless, like I said we grab a left out FA in august/september.

with the Checkers getting geared up and the launch of their  new website

during the long interval before the Canes first game and the home opener, I wonder if the Canes front office has considered chartering a bus down for a Checkers game? 

Ok guys.  First off, I am new to this board but have been a Canes fan since the days they played in gboro.  And that Arena was closer to where I live in N. Durham!  Anyways, was talking to my dad and friends all long time canes fans.  They think Ward may not be the answer in goal.  He just hasn't done much in the regular season.  He is good come playoff time though.  Now I am a HUGE Ward fan.  I did not agree with them and I think he is still the answer and our future.  But I feel that him putting up solid numbers this season will be critical and it is time for him to start putting up 2.13-2.3ish GAA numbers.  I feel he has the talent to do that and earn the rank of an elite goalie.

But, if he doesn't have a good season.......Then what?  I think it is time Ward becomes mentioned with the likes of: Brodeur, Luongo, Lundqvist, The Miller.  I don't feel like I am being unrealistic here....Maybe those goalies are good because of who plays D infront of them?  I just don't know.  I just feel it is time for Ward to establish him as an Elite and play on a consistent basis like these guys do.  This topic has been killing me.  The only reason I joined this board is to ask you guys what you thought? 

i said offseason

The schedule, all star game, russia and finland have nothing to do with the offseason.

Free agency will be non existant to us.  Unless, like I said we grab a left out FA in august/september.

No, you said "boring".  Feel free to exempt yourself from any of that talk I just mentioned.  

Agreed Coastalcaniac, no sense sitting around being chronically depressed because the GM didnt listen to all the great ideas from the message boards and decided to go with his own ideas.  Some people need to stay away from the ledge and maybe get outside and enjoy summertime. 

Life is what we make it.

with the Checkers getting geared up and the launch of their  new website

during the long interval before the Canes first game and the home opener, I wonder if the Canes front office has considered chartering a bus down for a Checkers game? 
As a first step, I saw the Checkers were offering "hybrid" packages with some Checkers games and Canes games mixed into a package.  

Ok guys.  First off, I am new to this board but have been a Canes fan since the days they played in gboro.  And that Arena was closer to where I live in N. Durham!  Anyways, was talking to my dad and friends all long time canes fans.  They think Ward may not be the answer in goal.  He just hasn't done much in the regular season.  He is good come playoff time though.  Now I am a HUGE Ward fan.  I did not agree with them and I think he is still the answer and our future.  But I feel that him putting up solid numbers this season will be critical and it is time for him to start putting up 2.13-2.3ish GAA numbers.  I feel he has the talent to do that and earn the rank of an elite goalie.

But, if he doesn't have a good season.......Then what?  I think it is time Ward becomes mentioned with the likes of: Brodeur, Luongo, Lundqvist, The Miller.  I don't feel like I am being unrealistic here....Maybe those goalies are good because of who plays D infront of them?  I just don't know.  I just feel it is time for Ward to establish him as an Elite and play on a consistent basis like these guys do.  This topic has been killing me.  The only reason I joined this board is to ask you guys what you thought? 

He's got a big ole' contract here so he better pan out.  I get what your saying about the top name guys but Ward hasnt been able to stay healthy enough to prove he can be that elite guy.  In his defense, he's had some freakish accidents and a wonky back but he was playing great to start the year even with a crap team in front of him.  He was the only reason they had chances to win during that ugly losing streak.

With the extra long off season and Ward being out for big chunks of last season, he's had enough time to heal and get strong to start the new season.  In with you buddy, this is his year to make the final jump in the league's elite.

I think you answered your own question in bold. Leighton goes from not being able to stop a beachball to cup finals? I really think that's the hook, line and sinker to this debate. We know we have a great goalie but if we can't keep shots to the outside it doesn't matter if we have Patrick Roy we're not going to win games.

Ridiculous.