The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
TSA

Canes 2010 general off season talk

I don't know if it even matters that he is ready or not at this point in time.  I'm pretty sure he's set on playing his senior year for the Big Red of Cornell.  The reason Edmonton traded Nash was because they couldn't convince him to sign an entry level contract.  He wants to play his senior year at Cornell and Edmonton felt it would've been better for his development if he played in the AHL.  So instead of not coming to terms and losing him to re-entering the draft they traded him to the 'Canes for something that was better than nothing, another draft pick.  I tend to agree with the Oil management about his development but ultimately I guess it's up to Nash on when he wants to turn pro.

I hope JR is not done with the defense this year. I mean.......Sanguinetti, Carson and McBain are alright but after Pitkanen, Gleason, babchuck and maybe Picard. I've got reservations.......Obviously it's a TEAM Defense with Cam part of the equation. Cam will be fine...not even worried about that part...but the defense in front of him is going to make or break this 2010 team. I've mentioned before that Jay Harrison is NOT THE ANSWER and needs to move off in a trade. I guess our hopes are slim to none that we could sign Corvo who could give us a solid 4 defenseman. (Two puck movers and two stay at home defensemen) This guy would help provide leadership for the younger defensemen as well. Gonna be interesting this summer how this defense comes together.

Things wil start to make more sense after July 1st. That's when guys like Corvo will get offers, and take one.

I suspect there will be a lot of upset Canes fans with Cullen, Corvo, etc sign elsewhere and we don't even hear Carolinas name mentioned as a suitor.

I'd be shocked if JR pursued more than one FA. And knowing his style, he'll wait until August, and pick through the remains....when players have had time to sit and stew without an offer for a while...and he can get them cheaper.

How is this ridiculous?  It is time that Ward be consistant on a nightly basis.  Especially with the money he is making.  There are no excuses if he has a weak showing this season and has solid D infront of him that can actually clear the puck.  The guy has seemed to be sporadic and let's in some very soft goals during the regular season whether anyone wants to admit it or not.  it's nice living in the past and yeah he has won a cup and gone to the ECF.  But he needs to improve and play to his full potential.  He has had plenty of time to develop.  We all thought he was going to be the next Elite goalie that Carolina so needed.  Someone that would be in net for the next 15 years.  I know I thought that after the 06 season.....  All I am saying is that it is time he becomes that household name.  Where people think about Carolina they think about Ward in goal.  All I want is for him to be in the top 5 in stats during the regular for goalies.  I do not think that is being ridiculous.  I feel I am making a very good statement here.

If the defense lays an egg in front of him, it wont matter if he stands on his head.  Eventually the puck is gonna go in the net.  Gonna have to wait and see what the final defense looks like. 

How is this ridiculous?  It is time that Ward be consistant on a nightly basis.  Especially with the money he is making.  There are no excuses if he has a weak showing this season and has solid D infront of him that can actually clear the puck.  The guy has seemed to be sporadic and let's in some very soft goals during the regular season whether anyone wants to admit it or not.  it's nice living in the past and yeah he has won a cup and gone to the ECF.  But he needs to improve and play to his full potential.  He has had plenty of time to develop.  We all thought he was going to be the next Elite goalie that Carolina so needed.  Someone that would be in net for the next 15 years.  I know I thought that after the 06 season.....  All I am saying is that it is time he becomes that household name.  Where people think about Carolina they think about Ward in goal.  All I want is for him to be in the top 5 in stats during the regular for goalies.  I do not think that is being ridiculous.  I feel I am making a very good statement here.
Was Cam's performance last year shakey? Yes. But my God, look at the defense he had in front of him. Last year's D was one the worst core men of D that Carolina has had in a while. I think it can be argued that the only reason Carolina made it to the playoffs a couple of years ago was because of Cam's play. Goalie is the last position this team is worried about.

Ok, so I guess i have to jump in now on the Cam Ward topic,,So if Cam doesn't have good d-men in front of him,, its not his fault,,why does he have such a huge contract.Why would you pay a goalie such big money if you don't expect him to make just about every stop. If thats not the case then just spend the money on a bunch of d-men and get a "OK" goalie cause its not the goalies fault!!!Well let me rephrase that,,it's not Cams fault!Everyone wanted to throw Leights under the bus but never Cam.why is that? Yes I know it's because he won us the Cup but you have to admit he has not lived up to his contract! Not even close!!Plus the fact Cam is very very injury prone!

Welcome to the boards bluedevil58!

Babs, Seidenburg, Pitkanen, and Corvo.  Those arn't bad names and they did provide cushioning in terms of being able to score some.  Granted Babs looked like a dear in the headlights come playoff time.  I agree that our D must improve and these prospects that have been mentioned in earlier post are probably not the answer.  But all I'm saying is that if our D does improve and can clear the puck and keep the front of the net clear.  Then it is time that Cam be in the top 5 for stats.  I'm not asking for a Vezina.  But just it's time that he becomes that elite goalie.

Cam has had some shaky seasons, but for the most part they were the two seasons after the cup. He had long stretches of sub par play and then stretches of above average play back then. However, from the middle of our deep playoff year until his deep laceration, Cam was looking pretty darned good, and was being mentioned for the Canadian Olympic team at points last year. The question about Cam it would seem is his back. One wonders, since it was alluded to in the ECF vs. Pittsburgh, just how chronic this problem might be. But the last time Cam was healthy for a prolonged stretch, he was elite.

Chicken and egg defense-goalie debate. No doubt one feeds the other. But one can still look at soft goals, and during those bad stretches Cam had bunches of them and during the good stretches he had almost none. We have never had a world class defense, so that was fairly constant.

Anyway, if Cam's back is good, we have an elite goalie.

My concerns are....elsewhere.

[quote name='remkin wrote:

gocanes0506']Cullen is not coming. Stop bringing it up.

Sorry, didn't realize you were in charge. I will, of course, obey you at once.

By the way, doesn't have to be Cullen. But if you're good with Ryan or Ruutu there I'd like to know why, but then again, not enough to want to hear from you again.

I'd love to move Ruutu up and improve those lines. But taking JR at his word in terms of what he plans to do via free agency (i.e.: "almost nothing"), I believe that the lines I laid out are likely the lines we'll see. Competition for at least 3 spots.

I agree that bringing back Cullen (or signing a Cullen-like legitimate 3rd line center) ought to be priorities. Moving Ruutu up to 2nd line and pairing him with Sutter and a Rat, then having Legit 3rd line C with Cole and another Rat... that makes more sense to me. But making more sense to me and making more sense to JR are two very different things.

Which I think remkin can agree with. Amiright? :-)

From the N&O:

Carolina Hurricanes general manager Jim Rutherford met with the agent of forward Ray Whitney at the NHL draft on Saturday, but Whitney is expected to test the free agency market, Rutherford said Monday.

The team hopes Whitney, 38, who's played in 18 NHL seasons and was third on the team in points (58) last season, still ends up with the Canes.

The NHL's free agency period begins Thursday, and Whitney is an unrestricted free agent.

"We're keeping the door open and hoping that he'll come back to us," Rutherford said

Not trying to build up any false hope for those hoping to bring Whitney back but this all sounds almost exactly like the deal with LaRose last summer.  I'll be curious to see what the FA market for Whitney ends up looking like.

Boring... no way ....with the Checkers getting geared up and the launch of their  new website, the trip to Russia and Finland, the All Star game, the brutal schedule that was just released, qualifying offers and potential trades and buyouts, free agency, pick a seat, prospect camp, the Babchuk saga, build a lineup on your own, ....

I probably missed something but this site is what we make of it.......I have faith we won't let ourselves down.

You all know I'll continue to make what I consider to be thoughtful comments... though my definition of thoughtful is likely different from others'. :-)

[quote name='legend-1 wrote:

bluedevil58']Ok guys.  First off, I am new to this board but have been a Canes fan since the days they played in gboro.  And that Arena was closer to where I live in N. Durham!  Anyways, was talking to my dad and friends all long time canes fans.  They think Ward may not be the answer in goal.  He just hasn't done much in the regular season.  He is good come playoff time though.  Now I am a HUGE Ward fan.  I did not agree with them and I think he is still the answer and our future.  But I feel that him putting up solid numbers this season will be critical and it is time for him to start putting up 2.13-2.3ish GAA numbers.  I feel he has the talent to do that and earn the rank of an elite goalie.

But, if he doesn't have a good season.......Then what?  I think it is time Ward becomes mentioned with the likes of: Brodeur, Luongo, Lundqvist, The Miller.  I don't feel like I am being unrealistic here....
Maybe those goalies are good because of who plays D infront of them?
  I just don't know.  I just feel it is time for Ward to establish him as an Elite and play on a consistent basis like these guys do.  This topic has been killing me.  The only reason I joined this board is to ask you guys what you thought? 

I think you answered your own question in bold. Leighton goes from not being able to stop a beachball to cup finals? I really think that's the hook, line and sinker to this debate. We know we have a great goalie but if we can't keep shots to the outside it doesn't matter if we have Patrick Roy we're not going to win games.

I really think there is a glass half full and a glass half empty argument around Cam. I think Canes management has made it clear that he's the guy. But I do think that 1, he's living off that amazing Cup run/Conn Smythe winning post-season and 2, we're overworking him.

Yes, we need a better defense in front of him, but it's obvious that we're trying to grow into that rather than buy it. So Cam will have to deal. I think there are times when he's spectacular, really seeing the puck well, and it simply doesn't matter who is in front of him.  But I think there are fewer of those occasions than we'd like. He's not in the Brodeur, Miller, etc. discussion, as far as I'm concerned.

Right now I think he needs to put together a great season. I agree his GAA need to come down and his save percentage needs to go up a bit. But I also firmly believe he needs to be a 60 game player, not a 75 game player. Let Peters get 20 or so games in. Give Cam a little breather every 3rd or 4th game, or rest him on the back of back-to-backs unless he's "in the zone."

The only way I see Cam being the elite goalie for us is if we don't overwork him like he's a plough-horse.

From the N&O:

Carolina Hurricanes general manager Jim Rutherford met with the agent of forward Ray Whitney at the NHL draft on Saturday, but Whitney is expected to test the free agency market, Rutherford said Monday.

The team hopes Whitney, 38, who's played in 18 NHL seasons and was third on the team in points (58) last season, still ends up with the Canes.

The NHL's free agency period begins Thursday, and Whitney is an unrestricted free agent.

"We're keeping the door open and hoping that he'll come back to us," Rutherford said

Not trying to build up any false hope for those hoping to bring Whitney back but this all sounds almost exactly like the deal with LaRose last summer.  I'll be curious to see what the FA market for Whitney ends up looking like.

I continue to see statements on TSN that there are teams looking for a top-6 forward. Ottawa, Toronto, LA Kings, NJ, etc. etc. They are in high demand. Ray is going to get consideration because there aren't a lot of names out there this year in free agency. A lot of the rumored trades around the draft didn't happen.

If Ray is looking for 2 or more years at $3m+ per season, he's going to get it from someone. Just not us. I'd be surprised if he came back to Carolina.

I don't think this is similar to LaRose and Cole, because I suspect the market for those two guys last year was lackluster at best. While here in Canes Country we put those two in our top 6, most other teams likely consider them 3rd line players.

I wasn't trying to compare Whitney to LaRose, I was comparing the JR speak from last year to this year in regards to entering the FA period with each player.  The tidbits released by the media are almost identical and JR's comments are consistent. 

I think the market for Whitney would definately be better than it was or LaRose but I'm not so sure that other teams will be able to offer much more than the Canes.  Seems as if a lot of teams are being more "cap concious" when it comes to the older veteran FA players.   I guess we'll see sooner than later but it really wouldn't surprise me to see Whitney back here next season, especially after both Whitney and JR have now been quoted saying the door is still open.

I would think we have a little better than even chance of signing Whitney for next season. I think Whitney wants to test the water to find out how much he is worth and for how long. If the offers are close I expect we have the edge. If he gets a really good offer I doubt we could match it. I don't think it will go

on for more than a couple of weeks before we find out.

Back of my mind I think Ray will be back. I think he'll decide he really doesn't want to move his family at this point in his career. 

I do believe the big hang up is length of contract, I figure we are only offering Ray a one year deal somewhere around 2.5 mil and he is hoping for a minimum deal of 2-3 years at 3 mil. wink.gif

Cam is injury prone?  He had a lingering hamstring issue, and then a freak injury in one season.  Even with the injuries he still played 47 games and was 24th in the league in minutes played by a goalie.  Previous years he played 68, 69, and 61 games. 

His save percentage has improved every year, including last year, while his GAA has gone down every year until this previous year, when it was about the same as it was in 2008.

Cam Ward is not going to be our problem next year.  Lack of depth, experience, and talent on defense is going to be our problem.

Well unless he's got a big move up his sleeve, I really don't see why he wouldn't extend a qualifying offer to Carson. Thought he was very solid. Much more so than Harrison (who, for some reason, we decided to give a one-way deal)