The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
TSA

Canes 2010 general off season talk

Not too surprising with Picard, but Carson?  That's interesting.  So now we have:

Pitkanen, Gleason, McBain, Harrison, and Sanguinetti with Rodney and Borer as depth guys. 

JR has something up his sleeve.  Good gawd, I hope he does.  

I was only half listening but I believe the context of the statement was made to answer a question about our activity in the UFA market and JR's response was the usual blah blah blah about going young and cheap but we will be saving money by not qualifying these two and therefore will have freed up some cash.   Gave me the impression that he does have something up his sleeve. 

JR just announced on XM that the Canes will not be extending qualifying offers to Picard and Carson.  Not surprised about Picard but I am about Carson.

I heard the interview with JR. What he said was that the original intention was not be active at the start of Free Agency, but now by not qualifying Picard and Carson, there was some room to maybe make a move if the right player came available.

I think it boils down to the team wanting two way contracts for those guys, and they want one ways (which would be more

expensive for us because we would pay them NHL salary for the whole time, including their time spent in AHL.)

I think Harrison got the one way contract because he's the only other defensive D-man we have besides Timmy.

Maybe Babchuk isn't a lock for a sign and trade as some have speculated?  This one's a head-scratcher.

Maybe Babs wants more money and there is no intention of trading him? (I hope not)

Well, here's the answer - http://hurricanes.nhl.com...m?id=533106&navid=DL|CAR|home

Bottom line, it sounds like he expects Babs back and may be looking at adding another d-man. I like the blurb about even if he doesn't sign another d-man that they can still field a defense with Gleason, Pitkanen, McBain, Harrison, Sanguinetti, Babs (expected to sign) Borer and Rodney.   screwy.gif

[quote name='UNCCaniac8 wrote:

coastal_caniac']

Maybe Babchuk isn't a lock for a sign and trade as some have speculated?  This one's a head-scratcher.

Maybe Babs wants more money and there is no intention of trading him? (I hope not)

Everything I've heard JR say about Babchuk was that it was a done deal; just had to wait until after July 1st. to make it official!

Not signing Carson is not a smooth move, he's 24 and likely ready to play an entire NHL season. Achieving +5 in 54 games with one of the worst teams in the NHL is not bad for a 24 year old. I dont like letting him go at all. Let Rodney go, not him.

JR also said: “We’re not in a position that we have to go out and add defense if we don’t want to,” he said. icon_duh.gif

I know its just a few comments in an interview but I can't belive he is really comfortable with what he has at his disposal right now at the blueline.

GF\GA < 1........thats a problem.

I think it boils down to the team wanting two way contracts for those guys, and they want one ways (which would be more

expensive for us because we would pay them NHL salary for the whole time, including their time spent in AHL.)

I think Harrison got the one way contract because he's the only other defensive D-man we have besides Timmy.

Actually, I think the best theory for Harrison's one-way was because he would be subject to waivers and they wouldn't want to risk losing him that way anyway. They could still re-sign Carson as a UFA if no one else gives him a one way.

I think the pickup of Sanguinetti plays into this. He, Rodney, and Borer will be fighting for that slot (and I agree with legend, would much rather have Carson than Rodney).

Interesting thing now is that Peters is the only remaining RFA with arbitration rights. Not sure by when they have to qualify him, or when they will know if they are going to arbitration. According to the article coastal posted, they did qualify Peters and a few others from the Checkers. This plays into the Brindy situation since the buyout period is extended for teams with arbitration cases. I wouldn't be surprised to see JR lowball Peters someone to get him into arbitration. Wonder when they have to select arbitration?

And TSA, I have to disagree when you say JR sounds now with Whitney like he did last year with Cole/LaRose. Then it was "well we're moving on since they're going to test the market", with Whitney it's "we have a slot open for him". Very different tone, though still posturing of course. JR will look a little bad if Whitney walks with no return, hence the difference in tone (my opinion).  I think Whit will find someone willing to pay him enough, and/or a contending team, for him to say goodbye. If Brindy retires, different picture, but I don't expect that.

Picard in my opinion was awful so im not dissapointed to see him go, but I was a big fan of Carson he was very solid in the role he played, he was sound defensively and is young and big. 6 ft 4 doesn't lay people out but he does play a decent phsyical game and he can only improve. At his age he had the potential to be a decent defensive defencemen that could step into the top 4 and at worse he was the perfect replacement for Wallin on the bottom pairing. Either JR has really really high expectations for Sanguinetti or he has something up his sleeve. Pray that he is bringing in a defencemen, and as much as I think Sanguinetti was a good pick up I don't particularly want to slot him in as a regular next year. Give him a year in Charlotte with the chance of being called up.

All I can think is Dan Hamhuis would be nice in a Canes jersey. Fat chance though...

[quote name='JLP wrote:

UNCCaniac8
']I think it boils down to the team wanting two way contracts for those guys, and they want one ways (which would be more

I think Harrison got the one way contract because he's the only other
defensive
D-man we have besides Timmy.

Actually, I think the best theory for Harrison's one-way was because he would be subject to waivers and they wouldn't want to risk losing him that way anyway. They could still re-sign Carson as a UFA if no one else gives him a one way.

I think the pickup of Sanguinetti plays into this. He, Rodney, and Borer will be fighting for that slot (and I agree with legend, would much rather have Carson than Rodney).

Interesting thing now is that Peters is the only remaining RFA with arbitration rights. Not sure by when they have to qualify him, or when they will know if they are going to arbitration. This plays into the Brindy situation since the buyout period is extended for teams with arbitration cases. I wouldn't be surprised to see JR lowball Peters to get him into arbitration.

And TSA, I have to disagree when you say JR sounds now with Whitney like he did last year with Cole/LaRose. Then it was "well we're moving on since they're going to test the market", with Whitney it's "we have a slot open for him". Very different tone, though still posturing of course. JR will look a little bad if Whitney walks with no return, hence the difference in tone (my opinion).  I think Whit will find someone willing to pay him enough, and/or a contending team, for him to say goodbye. If Brindy retires, different picture, but I don't expect that.

Interesting that the Justin Peters signing hasn't happened yet.  That, and the comments about a FA goaltender may be available doesn't make much sense to me since we let a good FA goalie walk (or maybe not).  Something must be up with that contract so you could be on to something.  JR has recently said that he has a spot for Whitney but he said in an earlier interview (can't remember where) that Whitney would be moving on.  You're right though, JR never actually said (at least not that I can remember) that the team would be moving on from Whitney. 

IMO, the whole Whitney signing was more based on where the Canes fell in the draft.  Back when the Canes were still slotted to finish in the top 2, drafting Seguin or Hall would have taken a top 6 spot away.  Now that we drafted Skinner who is at least a year away, that spot remains open for Whitney.  I remember hearing Whitney on XM talking about the potential of re-signing with the Canes and he said he would know more after the draft.  I do agree with JLP's theory about getting something for Whitney.  Not getting anything at the trade deadline,  not re-signing him and just letting him walk will look bad.   

I'm with most of you scratching my head over letting Carson walk. I'd say we have something in mind and I hope it's a big surprise. I wonder if the Rangers would like Babchuk?

What I want to know is if he uses the money saved by not qualifying Picard and Carson, just what does he expect to get for around 1.7 mil?  Probably not a huge upgrade.  I still have the light on for an upgrade on defense but I keep having to change the bulb.

Just a really crazy thought but the Rangers and Marc Staal are way off in contract terms.  3 out of 4 staal brothers.  babchuk and a winger spec for his rights.  Its a first and third compensation.  Its going to take a pitkanen type deal to sign him. 

4 million is way to much. When I said I wonder if the Rangers would like Babs I was half joking but if we could get a M. Staal for Babs and a prospect or player it might be worth 2+ mil.  I think he is a RFA. I'm sure I'm just dreaming but it would be nice to pull something like that off.

4 million is way to much. When I said I wonder if the Rangers would like Babs I was half joking but if we could get a M. Staal for Babs and a prospect or player it might be worth 2+ mil.  I think he is a RFA. I'm sure I'm just dreaming but it would be nice to pull something like that off.

I was having the same idea, earlier today wondering what we would have to do to get him here lol. laugh.gif would have to shed a few mil+ guys which may be in the plans anyways.

If sammy/cole and brindy and whitney are gone then it might be possible, I know it may not be in the original plan for this season but getting Marc would improve our defense leaps. If we are shooting for the bottom of the salary cap whats another 4 mil anyways roll.gif

BTW some of JR's comments this off season have seemed a bit disappointing, like he has no expectations for this year and if we win we win but failure won't bother him much because we are on the cheap this year. Maybe I am reading too much into it, but I would think that winning would always be a priority. Maybe just setting expectations low so we can all be surprised when they win eek.gif

If were going to throw money around like that I'd just as soon keep Carson and sign Cu.....you know who.wub.gif

Darn..I keep forgetting we need a center for Samsonov and Cole  facepalm2.gif