The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
TSA

Canes 2010 general off season talk

Suddenly there's more to talk about, as JR is likely forced to go earlier in FA to bolster that, cough, defense.  Since JR seems to have a few pennies in his pocket now, maybe there's even a few more bucks laying around come Wednesday.

If I were JR and had money to spend by not qualifying Carson and Picard, my two priorities would be Whitney and Cullen.

I was able to catch the replay of JR's interview on XM today but I only caught the last part.

In summary: (in no particular order)

- Carson and Picard were bought out simply because they had arbitration rights and JR didnt' want to be to be forced to pay them what someone else decided.  Letting them go opens up more potential roster spots.

- Stahl and Alt were players they wanted because of their great family bloodlines and character.  Felt like both could be contibutors and were on the draft list from the beginning.

- Sanguinetti, Reilly and Matsimoto were players that have been on the radar for the past year or so by the organization.  They hoped at some point they'd have the chance to acquire them.  Edmonton didn't want to part with Reilly but agreed because of the great draft picks they had this year.  I may have read this wrong but it sounded like JR thought Matsumoto might be a good candidate for a vacant center position because he was deemed ready by Philly but wasn't getting his chance because of their depth at center.

- The door was still cracked open for Whitney but he felt that some other team will offer him more money and he doubted Whitney would pass it up.  Once again stressing he would love to see Whitney re-signed and retire here in NC.

- At first he felt like he wouldn't be active in the FA market, especially early on but with the open roster spots and cap space available, they will look at adding a defenseman to strengthen the D.  Sounds to me like they might have their sights set on someone already wink.gif

After the interview, the guys got a question from a Canes fan names "Ken" wanting to know if Cullen was or should be on JR's radar.  They seem to think he would be as long as his price was reasonable because both JR and Cullen know he's a fit here in NC and although Ottawa has said they were interested in signing him, they have more priorities and less cap space to fit him in.

That's all I got folks.

Who's this Cullen guy everyone keeps talking about?  eek.gif

Is it out of the realm of possibility that Marc will take a little less to get to play in an organization with two of his brothers?  I guess he's the only one who could answer that, but you see my point.  Then, unloading Picard and Carson (who I really didn't want to see go, by the way) and sending Babs up north with something else they need sounds really good.  If relations between Marc and the Rangers staff is as strained as people are letting on, then they will probably be happy to get something for him now instead of go through a long and drawn-out drama thing.  What do you think?  Is it crazy?  ... yeah, it's crazy.

I was able to catch the replay of JR's interview on XM today but I only caught the last part.

In summary: (in no particular order)

- Carson and Picard were bought out simply because they had arbitration rights and JR didnt' want to be to be forced to pay them what someone else decided.  Letting them go opens up more potential roster spots.

- Stahl and Alt were players they wanted because of their great family bloodlines and character.  Felt like both could be contibutors and were on the draft list from the beginning.

- Sanguinetti, Reilly and Matsimoto were players that have been on the radar for the past year or so by the organization.  They hoped at some point they'd have the chance to acquire them.  Edmonton didn't want to part with Reilly but agreed because of the great draft picks they had this year.  I may have read this wrong but it sounded like JR thought Matsumoto might be a good candidate for a vacant center position because he was deemed ready by Philly but wasn't getting his chance because of their depth at center.

- The door was still cracked open for Whitney but he felt that some other team will offer him more money and he doubted Whitney would pass it up.  Once again stressing he would love to see Whitney re-signed and retire here in NC.

- At first he felt like he wouldn't be active in the FA market, especially early on but with the open roster spots and cap space available, they will look at adding a defenseman to strengthen the D.  Sounds to me like they might have their sights set on someone already wink.gif

After the interview, the guys got a question from a Canes fan names "Ken" wanting to know if Cullen was or should be on JR's radar.  They seem to think he would be as long as his price was reasonable because both JR and Cullen know he's a fit here in NC and although Ottawa has said they were interested in signing him, they have more priorities and less cap space to fit him in.

That's all I got folks.

I'm the Ken mentioned in TSA's post, and no, I'm not related to Robin. But I thought it very interesting that both Scott Laughlin and Jammie Shalley thought perusing Cullen was something we might consider.

I don't have any idea how we couldn't have signed Carson and just moved the kid. He's NHL ready and could play on alot of team's 3rd pairs. Argh! JR better make up for that move.

Marc Staal, come on down! smile.gif

[quote name='Ramp23 wrote:

I'm the Ken mentioned in TSA's post, and no, I'm not related to Robin. But I thought it very interesting that both Scott Laughlin and Jammie Shalley thought perusing Cullen was something we might consider.

How about that smile.gif   Yes, they did seem to think it was a real possibility.

Red_Storm
wrote:

TSA
']- At first he felt like he wouldn't be active in the FA market, especially early on but with the open roster spots and cap space available, they will look at adding a defenseman to strengthen the D. 
Sounds to me like they might have their sights set on someone already
wink.gif

Marc Staal, come on down! smile.gif

The guys kidded around with JR when they were asking about the new "Stahl" added to the organization.  JR made some quick joke about it being a matter of time before he had all the Staal's.....or something like that.  

I can see it now...  "Just heard from a reliable source within the Canes org that Marc Staal was heading to Carolina because JR thinks that having all the Staal boys in NC would be easier on Henry and Linda."  - Ecklund (e5)

It amazes me how short the road has become from freeing up cap space by not qualifying Picard and Carson to signing Marc Staal.  But, it does sound cool. popcorn.gif
It's the thing dreams are made of!

Predators... Add the Preds to teams who have interest in Marc Savard.

That's from eklund. Maybe it continues from the "team changing" trade were supposed to be making with them. A three team trade?

[quote name='Ramp23 wrote:

coastal_caniac']

Pass the popcorn, and bring me a brew.....please.
hockey20player.gif

I've got the brew if you'll bring the popcorn and Cullen!

I have been very quiet lately about my favorite #8 because in my mind I have written him off as a possibility. It is easier that way, for me.

But I am watching, like everyone else !!!

Phoenix let Jim Vandermeer go to the waiver wire...don't know tons about him but pretty big 6'1" and 211 lbs, palyed 62 games and was a +4 averaging about 18 min./game, doesn't seem to be a big point producer, just seems to be a steady presence on the blue line also won humanitarian of the year in juniors and the WHL so there's some evidence of his being a "character" guy as well. 

Phoenix let Jim Vandermeer go to the waiver wire...don't know tons about him but pretty big 6'1" and 211 lbs, palyed 62 games and was a +4 averaging about 18 min./game, doesn't seem to be a big point producer, just seems to be a steady presence on the blue line also won humanitarian of the year in juniors and the WHL so there's some evidence of his being a "character" guy as well. 
Any idea what his contract was?  I would guess we could add together both Picard's and Carson's QO's to have the starting point for what JR may be willing to offer a FA defenseman.

According to nhlnumbers, he made 2.3 million. He's technically signed through next year, so I'm guessing he'd stay at that price point. May be a decent pickup, but I don't know if I'd use that much money on a guy Phoenix is willing to let go through waivers.

If I were JR and had money to spend by not qualifying Carson and Picard, my two priorities would be Whitney and Cullen.

I'm so glad you're not the GM.

But some days I wish Rutherford wasn't the GM either.....

I'm still scratching my head on Carson. Picard, whatever, but Carson. I just don't get it. He's young, would be cheap, his QO would have only been $574K. Oh No, so he makes $74K more than Harrison, well he is the better player. JR probably offered the league minimum and Carson said forget it, which I don't blame him. Carson is a reliable 5-6 defensemen, someone who could step into the Top 4 to fill in for injury (which will happen). He's not a flashy player, but he gets the job done and you aren't pulling your hair out when he's on the ice. JR is screwing the pooch on this one.

I don't know who he thinks he is going to find for approx. $1.7M on the open market who won't remind us of Melichar. Re-signing Pothier would be a start in the right direction, but even he is worth more than $1.7M. I just don't get this move at all.

And as far as Marc Staal goes, you'll have to keep that in your dreams. The Rangers supposedly offered him 4 years @ $3.5M per and they are 'far off', no way we can afford him. Especially since PK wants JR to remain at the cap floor.

If you have Picard and Carson on the roster, with McBain, Pitkanen, Gleason, Babchuck, Harrison.  What are your two pk pairs?  And that doesn't even take into consideration that its probably Gleason or Pitkanen in the box.

Sooooooooooooooooo......................  with all this available money... like a good neighbor, statefarm is there... with Derek Morris. wink.gif

Cullen is not coming. Stop bringing it up.
Now hold on one cotton picking minute. As you can see (above) gocanes0506 has clearly stated that there shall be no more Cullen talk. Thus I would really appreciate it if you all would stop bringing it up, as gocanes0506 has decreed that it is an absurd thought not worthy of more discussion. Thank you.

Further, it just gets my hopes up, which has not been working out too well lately. 

The way I interpret the decree is that it also includes not bringing up the fact we cant bring it up......so technically you are still in violation.

Edit: I probably should insert one of those smiley face thingies...Connie_threaten.gif  

I'm confused on the Carson one as well. When I look at nhlnumbers.com, our current cap hit sits at $42m for 2010-11. However, that only includes 3 d-men (Pitkanen, Gleason & Harrison). Not sure what we're doing with Babs, but assuming that Babs and McBain have around a $1.5m - $2m cap hit between them, we're sitting at $44m. Then if you buy out Sammy you're back down around $42.5m. So let's say that JR has about $2.5m to play with (conservatively).

Considering that Wallin just signed with the Sharks for $2.5m for one season, that's basically what we're looking at. Now, when you factor in that they traded Wallin because they didn't want to move Carson back down to Albany, then I get even more confused. You're telling me that we could add Carson for well under the $2.5m that Wallin made to "round out" the D... but we didn't do it.

So Carson becomes unrestricted. That doesn't mean we don't sign him still; it just means anyone else can sign him. And when they look at the +5 he had on a crappy team, the fact that he's only 24... I can see him getting some decent offers.

I'm really shaking my head on this one. Maybe Babs is a sign and trade and there's something lurking there, but I just don't understand what it could be.

On Mark Staal... now, I could see us trading Pitkanen to NY for Staal. The money would be similar. Joni is in the last year of his contract. I could see us getting Mark for around $4.5m/$5m and signing him for a couple of years. Cap-wise it wouldn't be much of a difference, but we're still back to needing a Carson-like D-man.

So, It looks like Rod, & Sammy will not be bought out. They would have to be placed on waivers today to qualify for a buyout unless the Canes have a RFA take them to arbitration(Peters?). Most teams post players on waivers at noon. Today's Noon list doesn't include any Canes according to Bob at TSN.

Do teams have a deadline today to put a player on waivers?