The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
TSA

Canes 2010 general off season talk

So, It looks like Rod, & Sammy will not be bought out. They would have to be placed on waivers today to qualify for a buyout unless the Canes have a RFA take them to arbitration(Peters?). Most teams post players on waivers at noon. Today's Noon list doesn't include any Canes according to Bob at TSN.

Do teams have a deadline today to put a player on waivers?

The way I understand it, the NHL Central Registry processes waivers at noon.  The waiver period is 24 hours; therefore, in order for a player to clear by tomorrow to enable a buyout before the Ordinary Course buyout deadline they had to be placed on waivers before noon today. 

Well that means Brind'Amour will either be on the 4th line next year or retire. We won't trade him, and he's not eligible to be bought out anymore (at least based on what I've heard). Same deal pretty much with Samsonov, but there might be a chance there to trade him. We wouldn't get much back for him (maybe a late-round pick or low-end prospect), but I'd take it just to clear the contract and roster space.

Was just reading McKenzie's twitter feed, too. He knows what he's talking about. It's not that they put players on waivers at noon, that is the deadline for the waiver date, and it takes 24 hours to clear waivers. I forgot about the need to clear waivers prior to buyout. Still a chance Peters will request arbitration, and since it sounds like they qualified him with a minimal 2 way offer, arbitration seems likely, though I doubt it will get that far. Still, considering the minimal cost savings (which is what they are really after for the year), a buyout of either seems unlikely.

[quote name='Faceoff-ch1 wrote:

rocheccw']

So, It looks like Rod, & Sammy will not be bought out. They would have to be placed on waivers today to qualify for a buyout unless the Canes have a RFA take them to arbitration(Peters?). Most teams post players on waivers at noon. Today's Noon list doesn't include any Canes according to Bob at TSN.

Do teams have a deadline today to put a player on waivers?

The way I understand it, the NHL Central Registry processes waivers at noon.  The waiver period is 24 hours; therefore, in order for a player to clear by tomorrow to enable a buyout before the Ordinary Course buyout deadline they had to be placed on waivers before noon today. 

This just gets more and more interesting by the day.

OK, our most obvious shortage on the offensive side is another top 9 center. We have a glut of wingers, though none of them are proven long term point producers, at least there are a bunch of them.

Clearly we all know that I prefer to resign "He That Shall Not Be Spoken Of".

But, and I have no idea if this is even possible, what do people think of going with this guy instead. May be out of reach, but this blurb from NHL.com certainly makes him seem tempting:

"Matthew Lombardi -- Think speed. Lombardi has a lot of it, and he just put up a career-high 53 points for the Coyotes. He's one of several Phoenix forwards who could become unrestricted on July 1, and he'll probably want a raise from the $1.8 million he made this past season. Lombardi could wind up as one of the steals of this free agent class."

Any chance we could get him?

There's also a clause in the CBA about players with no movement clauses.  I believe that they can reject waivers and then be bought out.  I don't think that applies to either Sammy or Rod but I am not 100% certain.

Also, can't either still be bought out in a 48-hour window following a Peter's arbitration hearing, assuming it goes that far?

[quote name=coastal_caniac wrote:

There's also a clause in the CBA about players with no movement clauses.  I believe that they can reject waivers and then be bought out.  I don't think that applies to either Sammy or Rod but I am not 100% certain.

It does not.
coastal_caniac]

Also, can't either still be bought out in a 48-hour window following a Peter's arbitration hearing, assuming it goes that far?

Yes, as I said above. Still, seems even less likely now.

O'Sullivan on waivers from edmonton today...can play all 3 forward positions 5'8" and 190 is a little smallish but a viable replacement for Sami or Whitney.

OK, our most obvious shortage on the offensive side is another top 9 center. We have a glut of wingers, though none of them are proven long term point producers, at least there are a bunch of them.

But, and I have no idea if this is even possible, what do people think of going with this guy instead. May be out of reach, but this blurb from NHL.com certainly makes him seem tempting:

"Matthew Lombardi -- Think speed. Lombardi has a lot of it, and he just put up a career-high 53 points for the Coyotes. He's one of several Phoenix forwards who could become unrestricted on July 1, and he'll probably want a raise from the $1.8 million he made this past season. Lombardi could wind up as one of the steals of this free agent class."

I know its hard for, but right now think defense......think defense.  With Carson seemingly gone you can't sit back on the defense by committee plan.  We don't have a committee.  Let's plug that hole first.  I do like Lombardi, but someone's gonna pay him more than 1.8.  Centers are at a premium and I bet he signs fairly quickly......just not us. 

[quote name='coastal_caniac wrote:

remkin']OK, our most obvious shortage on the offensive side is another top 9 center. We have a glut of wingers, though none of them are proven long term point producers, at least there are a bunch of them.

-- Think speed. Lombardi has a lot of it, and he just put up a career-high 53 points for the Coyotes. He's one of several Phoenix forwards who could become unrestricted on July 1, and he'll probably want a raise from the $1.8 million he made this past season. Lombardi could wind up as one of the steals of this free agent class."

I know its hard for, but right now think defense......think defense.  With Carson seemingly gone you can't sit back on the defense by committee plan.  We don't have a committee.  Let's plug that hole first.  I do like Lombardi, but someone's gonna pay him more than 1.8.  Centers are at a premium and I bet he signs fairly quickly......just not us. I think we need both. A third line center and a solid, stay at home defenseman is not too much to ask on a team that has (and with the right trade will be) dumping salary like a sinking balloonist dumping sandbags. Note, I'm not talking about a first line winger. If Lombardi is getting a mega raise then it would be out of the question. But "the best steal" in free agency sounds kind of JR like.

Again, not predicting. Just asking. And just saying.

On Mark Staal... now, I could see us trading Pitkanen to NY for Staal. The money would be similar. Joni is in the last year of his contract. I could see us getting Mark for around $4.5m/$5m and signing him for a couple of years. Cap-wise it wouldn't be much of a difference, but we're still back to needing a Carson-like D-man.

With all the new offensive defensemen coming in (McBain/Babchuck/Sanguinetti), i think that does make a guy like Joni a little more expendable.  And i really like the idea Marc Staal on this team.  IMO, that's the perfect trade. A Gleason/Babchuck & Staal/McBain pairing looks better than Joni/Babchuck & Gleason/McBain.

Hold the fort, turns out McKenzie was wrong about having to be on waivers today to be bought out. Interestingly, Mike Sundheim of the Canes seemed surprised when McKenzie made that statement. Hmmm...

McKenzie's twitter feed: http://twitter.com/TSNBobMcKenzie

Exactly.. that someone being another offensive-defenseman.. Maybe JR thinks he won't be able to resign Pitkanen after this year....

Looking at the list of available UFA d-men, I think Andy Sutton would be more of what we need right now.

[quote name='witchking-ch1 wrote:

jeromeo87']Exactly.. that someone being another offensive-defenseman.. Maybe JR thinks he won't be able to resign Pitkanen after this year....

Looking at the list of available UFA d-men, I think Andy Sutton would be more of what we need right now.

I'll second and third that.  I like Andy Sutton...tough as nails and will hit you.

Get your popcorn ready, there's a little wait period before we see what may or may not happen with Brind'Amour per the N &O:

No word on Brind'Amour yet

Carolina Hurricanes general manager Jim Rutherford said he has not put center Rod Brind'Amour on waivers.

He said the team had until Wednesday to put a player on waivers, which would need to be done to buy out that player's contract. 

Brind'Amour, the team's captain until until the torch was passed to center Eric Staal midway through the past season, would earn $3 million this season.

I don't think a buy out was the wedding present that Rod Brind'Amour was looking for huh.gif

Please Rod! Just retire and go out on your terms (well sort of). Plus it saves us some salary (doesn't help our cap hit, but we're not exactly concerned with that right now)
Pretty much what I was thinking. I admire that he still feels he has gas in the tank, but there's a point where you have to look at your performance over the last few years and use that as an indicator as to how well you're actually playing, and it's really time for him to hang up his skates.

I just can't wrap my head around a buyout of Brindy's contract. Financially it just doesn't make that much sense. Buying him out, if I am correct, is a $2 million hit on a $3 million contract. I don't think JR could find an adequate 3rd line center on the FA market for the million he saved on Brindy's contract, just my opinion.

No Carson, no Picard... they weren't qualified. In the Canes Now article JR said he would use the money he reserved for those 2 players on a single player available next week, a defenseman that is.

OK, but what was he offering them? If it was $500k each, that's a $1 mill player and so on and so forth. It seems to me, Rutherford was getting creative with the contracts and trying to sell them on the fact that they were 1-way contracts. But as we've seen from JR, 1-way contracts don't mean you'll play in the NHL next season.

I think our top 4 D-men are pretty well set. JR has said he wants McBain in the top 4 and it's clear he's going to offer Babchuk a contract. With Pitts and Gleason, that's our 4. I think the last pair could change a bit throughout the season. I think JR may pick up a 3rd pairing defenseman with the money he was going to spend on Picard and Carson, but other than that, I see only very small signings in the future.

The contracts of Cole, Sammy, and Brindy versus their production is REALLY killing JR's ability to bring in quality players. Hindsight is 20-20. I can't say this is the first time Sammy or Cole have been underacheivers, but I can say this is the first stretch (2 or so seasons) in Brindy's career where he hasn't been a huge part of this team's success, no matter how little success it was.

With the reduced self-imposed cap, and the money the team is dishing out to Cole, Sammy and Brindy... I think it's going to be a pretty boring offseason for us Canes fans. EDIT: Unless you like a lot of prospect movement.

I just can't wrap my head around a buyout of Brindy's contract. Financially it just doesn't make that much sense. Buying him out, if I am correct, is a $2 million hit on a $3 million contract. I don't think JR could find an adequate 3rd line center on the FA market for the million he saved on Brindy's contract, just my opinion.

It is a 2 million dollar hit spead over 2 years.  The hit this year is only one million so that is a savings of 2 million from this years payroll.  I'm speaking of actual cash layout, not cap impact which doesn't matter because we won't be close enough to the top to see it through the clouds.