The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
TSA

Canes 2010 general off season talk

[quote name='Faceoff-ch1 wrote:

ThaRaven']I just can't wrap my head around a buyout of Brindy's contract. Financially it just doesn't make that much sense. Buying him out, if I am correct, is a $2 million hit on a $3 million contract. I don't think JR could find an adequate 3rd line center on the FA market for the million he saved on Brindy's contract, just my opinion.

It is a 2 million dollar hit spead over 2 years.  The hit this year is only one million so that is a savings of 2 million from this years payroll.  I'm speaking of actual cash layout, not cap impact which doesn't matter because we won't be close enough to the top to see it through the clouds.

Ah, I was unaware that it was spread over two years, I thought it was related to the player's current contract. Now I begin to see the point from the "Buy-out Brindy" camp.

The buyout for players over 26 is 2/3 remaining contract spread over 2x the remaining length if I remember correctly.  For Rod: 3 M 1 year left so the buyout impact is 2 million spread over 2 years.  Cap hit remains the same since he was at least 35 when his contract was signed.  Teams are stuck with the cap hit on contracts signed for players over 35 - no way to get out of the cap hit, even if the player is eaten buy a polar bear.

Add that 2 million in savings from Brindy if we have to buy him out (would absolutely hate for it to come to that) along with the "savings" we supposedly get from not bringing back Carson and Picard, and there's decent money to go out and get someone. If we end up signing a D-man, please make it a top-4 guy. Doesn't have to be an elite one, just someone solid. I really don't like the idea of having Babs any higher than that 3rd pairing until he proves he can actually play some defense from time to time.

How about the "Swedish hammer"?  Up and coming defensemen Niklaus Hjalmarsson who just won a Cup.  Word is there's all but a few teams who aren't interested according to NHL.com.  But, the Canes were in that group.  

How about the "Swedish hammer"?  Up and coming defensemen Niklaus Hjalmarsson who just won a Cup.  Word is there's all but a few teams who aren't interested according to NHL.com.  But, the Canes were in that group.  
No thanks.  He was manhandled by Philly on the way to that Cup.

Just my opinion, but I think the Brind'Amour situation will be resolved on Wed.  I may be wrong but I recall JR saying somewhere that it would be done by Free Agency (7/1).

I'd take the swap, net of costs, of M. Staal for Joni if that were an option.  I'd sign No. 8, but not Corvo.

Kind of a change of subject away from Brindy, but I see that Edmonton put Patrick O'Sullivan on waivers.  I see he kind of under-produced this season but what about bringing the first and only Tar Heel to play in the NHL back to the old north state?  I know about the issues with him and his dad buuuut, I don't know maybe we could get his game turned around.

I was looking at the list of impending UFA defensemen, and based on the salaries I'm seeing, a good defenseman is going to cost the team around $3 million.

Ottawa bought out the final year of Cheechoo's contract... wonder how much he'll want for next season.

I don't see JR moving Joni, and I don't believe the "rumors" that he's interested in Marc Staal. ANY time there's speculation on a Staal, The Canes are listed as an interested team....

[quote name='Manwolf wrote:

coastal_caniac']

No thanks.  He was manhandled by Philly on the way to that Cup.  Look, were not looking to sign guys like Gonchar or Hamhuis, neither are alot of other teams.  Thus, the interest in what seemingly is a well-rounded young defensemen that is the victim of a Cup winning team with cap issues.  So how was he so manhandled?  

well i dont know if we can add O'Sullivan's 2.95 contract. Granted we will get him for nothing which is a plus. Now if he was on re entry waivers then I could see us jump right on it as we would pay a fraction of his salary.

another angle to a buyout is carolina could be moving money to open up more cap space for the rumored tom kaberle. also, i highly doubt this team is going to be right at the floor. we'll probably be 3-5million over.

Things look to be heating up with tomorrow being the end of the buy out period and Thursday starting the FA period.

WRAL is reporting that they have word that Rod Brind'Amour will not be returning next season to play with the Canes.

Rod Brind'Amour not likely to return to Hurricanes

I guess we stayed tuned...not sure if WRAL knows anything more than we do but it is interesting they posted this tonight.

Side note:  if anyone knows how to turn off in-text advertising and hyperlinks I would greatly appreciate the help.  angry.gif

Interesting news about Brind'amour.

Sounds like he thinks he still has one more season left, and the Canes do not. This is what many feared, and ugly divorce.

Not sure who Brind'amour thinks he can play for though. He has shown absolutely nothing over the last two seasons to indicate that there's anything left there worth paying for. He was the worst player on a bad team for two straight seasons. There can't be many suitors for Rutherford to trade with. And the Canes were hoping he's take a suit and tie job when he finished playing.....

if this is true, it is a shame. True he hasnt been good the past two years, but for what he has brought to this team I was willing to let him play out the contract and retire a Cane, but oh well this is what sports have come to. Oh and also my sources have told me that Mike Commodore was talked about in a trade rumor involving the Canes, not what your thinking. Columbus offered a bag of pucks for his bathrobe he left here, apparently he wants it back.

Interesting news about Brind'amour.

Sounds like he thinks he still has one more season left, and the Canes do not. This is what many feared, and ugly divorce.

Not sure who Brind'amour thinks he can play for though. He has shown absolutely nothing over the last two seasons to indicate that there's anything left there worth paying for. He was the worst player on a bad team for two straight seasons. There can't be many suitors for Rutherford to trade with. And the Canes were hoping he's take a suit and tie job when he finished playing.....

Unfortunately---I think that could be an ugly ending-----it would leave the fan base with very mixed reactions, I think. Not to

mention how the team might feel. Most have great admiration for Roddy, and have protected him over the last several years.

I wonder how Whitney (and any decision he makes) may be affected by this ?  The whole thing is sad.

I would much rather he have his jersey retired in the rafters along with #10 and #2.

[quote name='coastal_caniac wrote:

Manwolf wrote:

coastal_caniac']How about the "Swedish hammer"?  Up and coming defensemen Niklaus Hjalmarsson who just won a Cup.  Word is there's all but a few teams who aren't interested according to NHL.com.  But, the Canes were in that group.  

No thanks.  He was manhandled by Philly on the way to that Cup.  
Look, were not looking to sign guys like Gonchar or Hamhuis, neither are alot of other teams.  Thus, the interest in what seemingly is a well-rounded young defensemen that is the victim of a Cup winning team with cap issues.  So how was he so manhandled?  Cough, cough....back of net.  A couple of really bad ones, too.

Geez, I go away for a little while and things go to hell. smile.gif

Here's  the Top 10 things I never expected to be thinking about this off-season ....

10.  I was comparing Edmonton's projected lineup to the Hurricanes .... the Oilers look pretty good.

9.   Rod Brind'Amour is a heartbeat away from a scoring line.

8.   You know, Phoenix has pretty stable ownership compared to Carolina.

7.   Bobby Sanguinetti?!  Bobby Sanguinetti???!!!

6.   At least the 'Canes leaky defense will make BP look better.

5.   Remember, when the going gets tough, the guys can always look to Samsonov for leadership.

4.   Harrison is a heartbeat away from a top-6 role.  Thank goodness Babchuk's coming.

3.   Admit it.  Many of you actually thought JR was gonna go D in the first round.

2.   Let's see ... if we pencil Cole in for 50 goals ... yep, that ought to just about bring the scoring up to par.

1.   To emulate Chicago's success, did JR have to pick the "I forgot to qualify some guys" approach???

Either this is tongue in cheek or a really positive way to look at things.(Not)

BMW

well i dont know if we can add O'Sullivan's 2.95 contract. Granted we will get him for nothing which is a plus. Now if he was on re entry waivers then I could see us jump right on it as we would pay a fraction of his salary.
Yea just what we need a kid who was -35 last season. I mean if the Oilers don't even want you then you got problems. 

Why would anyone want O'Sullivan? He makes nearly 3 million a year, for what? He's not a scorer. He's not a great setup man. He's not a big agitator. He has bad ties to NC...and a very scary history.

That much money for a guy who's not going to contribute on the scoreboard? He'd fit right in....except for the baggage thing, Rutherford usually tries very ahrd to avoid baggage, and this kid has two truck loads.

Either this is tongue in cheek or a really positive way to look at things.(Not)

BMW

davidrabbit included the obligatory smiley wink.gif

Why would anyone want O'Sullivan? He makes nearly 3 million a year, for what? He's not a scorer. He's not a great setup man. He's not a big agitator. He has bad ties to NC...and a very scary history.

That much money for a guy who's not going to contribute on the scoreboard? He'd fit right in....except for the baggage thing, Rutherford usually tries very ahrd to avoid baggage, and this kid has two truck loads.

Ditto, this guy has way too much baggage, not to mention he's not very good.  Pass.  It's amazing this keeps coming up.

My 2 cents

O'Sullivan- we wont be claiming him on waivers.  He is clearing waivers so that buying out process can be started.  Any contract he may sign come free agency wont be anywhere close to 3 mil. 

Brindy- Yes Brindy sucked it up last season but I think he has given enough to the franchise to be allowed to finish his contract.  He isnt a bad teammate, heck he gave up his captaincy without any fuss.  Just let the guy finish his contract and retire. Hopefully he comes back to coach the Checkers at some position.  This organization is known as taking care of its athletes and thats why so many athletes call this place home.  We do not need to ruin that because of a vision change.  (of course non of this applies to samsonov as he hasnt been around enough). I guess if we see him on waivers today we will know.

I think its just as likely the Canes will hold a press conference today to announce Brindy's retirement, and his appointment to another capacity within the organization.  I just don't think JR will just buy Brindy out....at least this Caniac hopes not.

I hope coastal is correct and Brindy retires but if he doesn't we must remember that we think the Canes appear to have given him every chance to travel the retirement road. If Brindy thinks he can play one more year and wants a chance to find a team we owe him the chance to find one.

If this happens it will be sad but won't diminish what he has meant  to us over the years. The fact is we are rebuilding and part of that is dismantling the 06 team.