The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
TSA

Canes 2010 general off season talk

It sound like something will officially happen. Mike Sudheim tweeted that Brindy will hold a press conference @ 2:30pm

It also sounds like Jim Rutherford is going to hold a conference call with the media at 3:30pm.  He's evidently out of town working on other business.

I think its just as likely the Canes will hold a press conference today to announce Brindy's retirement, and his appointment to another capacity within the organization.  I just don't think JR will just buy Brindy out....at least this Caniac hopes not.

Crystal ball?

Can I borrow it?

It sound like something will officially happen. Mike Sudheim tweeted that Brindy will hold a press conference @ 2:30pm

It also sounds like Jim Rutherford is going to hold a conference call with the media at 3:30pm.  He's evidently out of town working on other business.

Hmmm... and just 24 hours before the free agency floodgates open. Is it possible that he's actually out courting someone?

[quote name='witchking-ch1 wrote:

coastal_caniac']

It also sounds like Jim Rutherford is going to hold a conference call with the media at 3:30pm. 
He's evidently out of town working on other business.

Hmmm... and just 24 hours before the free agency floodgates open. Is it possible that he's actually out courting someone?

Yes.  Or at least something like that.

In the XM interview, he made it pretty clear that since there is now more funds by letting Picard and Carson slide, he has changed his tune on FA and may at least entertain the thought.

Freeing up actual money (although the cap hit remains the same) from the brindy retirement will help JR get a little bit of wiggle room with free agents also, if I read it correctly I think we save 2 million this year and 1 million next year in actual money.

Freeing up actual money (although the cap hit remains the same) from the brindy retirement will help JR get a little bit of wiggle room with free agents also, if I read it correctly I think we save 2 million this year and 1 million next year in actual money.

Not exactly, we save 2 million this year but pay and extra 1 million next year.  The total savings is 1M.

Interesting -- but not surprising -- to see all of the news focused on Rod today.

But we're 36 minutes from 5:30... and no sign that we're buying out Sammy. Any inkling that he could part of a trade?

So while at work, and not wanting to go through over 25 pages of discussion, what seems to be the gameplan? Going after top 4 d-man? A winger? Most of our d is pretty much set, and I'm guessing Boychuk, Dalpe, Skinner and others will have their chance to make the team... so who can we realistically bring in if we are going after a dman?

So while at work, and not wanting to go through over 25 pages of discussion, what seems to be the gameplan? Going after top 4 d-man? A winger? Most of our d is pretty much set, and I'm guessing Boychuk, Dalpe, Skinner and others will have their chance to make the team... so who can we realistically bring in if we are going after a dman?

I think the consensus is that we need a "real" 3rd line center instead of plugging Ruutu in there. There has been a suggestion -- nee, a recommendation -- that a Certain Unidentified Lanky Lefty Excites North-carolinians... though of course he can't be named. ;-)

The D is more of a puzzle. There's Pitkanen - Babchuk - Gleason - McBain - Harrison - Sanguinetti - Borer - Rodney. The problem is that there's too many "offensive defensemen" in that group and not enough shutdown guys. I mean, you can argue that Gleason is the only shutdown guy in there. Harrison I guess would be considered a shutdown guy, but I'm not sure he can shutdown a computer.

So while there isn't a consensus, there is certainly some feeling that maybe JR is trying to swing something that would get us a top 4 shutdown d-man, either via free agency or via trade.

I think it's possible that Pitkanen, in the last year of his deal, could be considered bait in this, but I've also been told I'm nuts. Of course, a Joni for Mark Staal trade would benefit both teams, I would think, as NY struggled to score last year and could use a d-man who can move the puck while we could seriously use another Staal -- I mean, a shutdown d-man. But that's just hearsay.... and wishful thinking.

Not having watched alot of games, I can't give my two cents about how certain players played. From what I've read about available free agents, I wouldn't be surprised with Wellwood being signed if that Certain Unavailable Legit & Likeable Entertaining North-american center is scooped up.  He's late 20's, so not too old, made 1.2 mil last season, so a pay raise would probably be somewhere between what, 1.4 and 1.8, no? He seemed to put up some pretty good with the Leafs of all places... so I would think he could be ok with the Canes.

I think the consensus is that we need a "real" 3rd line center instead of plugging Ruutu in there. There has been a suggestion -- nee, a recommendation -- that a Certain Unidentified Lanky Lefty Excites North-carolinians... though of course he can't be named. ;-)

JR was asked on the media call today about replacing Rod's Center position on the UFA market and he said they would not be looking for another Center.  He mentioned Skinner as an outside possibility but noted he will likely need more development before he is ready for the big leagues and also mentioned Nash as available options.

[quote name='Faceoff-ch1 wrote:

witchking-ch1']

JR was asked on the media call today about replacing Rod's Center position on the UFA market and he said they would not be looking for another Center.  He mentioned Skinner as an outside possibility but noted he will likely need more development before he is ready for the big leagues and also mentioned Nash as available options.

icon_duh.gif

we didnt trade for nash not to use him.  Dwyer and Nash will battle it out for 3rd or 4th line center. Neither one is the best option as CULLEN but Cullen is not coming back.  He will be signed by a team in the first 3-4 days and it wont be us. 

P.S. how many more names are we going to come up for Cullen?  Ill be glad when he signs with TOOTTAWA or another team so ya'll can stop "not mentioning" him as an option. 

Wonder how the Sammy thing is going to end up?  Since Rutherford brought up the fact they haven't decided on his future, haven't heard too much.  Obviously no buyout.

On another note, now that we know we aren't looking at centers (supposedly), we sure need a top-4 shut down guy.  Wonder what around 3-mil will get us?  Probably not one of the upper tier top-4 guys but maybe a solid player that has a little nasty side that can be consistent over 82 games. Not flashy, just tough.

I've watched this guy, Zbynik Michalek a few times.  He would fit the bill.      

JR passed on some cheap shutdown guys last season.  Would love to see one be added this season.

Michalek would be great.  Dont know if we could grab him as he on most top available FA dmen .  We could possibly snag him up early if everyone goes after hamhuis, volchenkov, and gonchar.

Kurtis jones may be a good option.  He is more a O guy that shutdown type but he could a great pickup.  Might come pretty cheap as well. 

Your likely right on Michalek.  How about we just politely ask every team to ignore the zamboni-sized whole in our defense (to-date).  But seriously, I'm hopeful that situation will be resolved and JR will somehow plug a few of the leaks on D.  Seems we got a tax refund of sorts.......use it wisely.

Hmm. I am liking this Michalek fellow, did pretty good in PHO, has a solid rep. as a shutdown d-man which is exactly what we need and will be 'cheaper' then the other top UFA d-men. He is 28 as well so that sorta fits our new teams bill as well. I don't think it will happen, but stranger things have happened.

I listened three times to the media call. He named a bunch of guys (Dalpe, Skinner, Nash) saying he did not know if any of them

would be ready to play 3rd or 4th line center. He said we have good depth on first and second line.

Then he said " we are not actively looking at the center position, but we will keep our eyes open"--------