The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
TSA

Canes 2010 general off season talk

davidrabbit included the obligatory smiley wink.gif

Yes, apparently I should have announced it was tongue in cheek.  Especially after the news later in the day.

As for filling Rod's spot on the team, since the second half of training camp is going to be in Europe, there's

a good chance Dwyer could fill that role - and allow Jeff Skinner to play 4th line for the first 10 games of

the season.  Or, failing that, Boychuk and Dwyer could play bottom 6 center.  There's a lot of options.

I listened three times to the media call. He named a bunch of guys (Dalpe, Skinner, Nash) saying he did not know if any of them

would be ready to play 3rd or 4th line center. He said we have good depth on first and second line.

Then he said " we are not actively looking at the center position, but we will keep our eyes open"--------

Three times?  * Bless your heart *  I can barely sit through it once.  Thanks for filling in the details.

Of course I am on record as someone who feels strongly that we have a clear cut weakness with a hole in the top 9 centers where we have 2/3.

In addition to a solid veteran defenseman (coastal), this is our biggest need for next year.

In that position we may have "many" options, but at least at this point we don't have any good options. The team is already going to be counting on a lot of prospects and guys who have to prove they still have it on the wings of all 3 lines to find goals. So it would be nice to have veterans up the middle (ones who are natural centers).

So, why is JR so seemingly relatively uninterested?

I see three options. One: he is bluffing. Two: he really likes one of our prospects and thinks he's ready to step up.

Three:  I am wondering if the main problem is long term more than anything. I suspect that ultimately JR thinks Dalphe will be the man. Well Dalphe probably needs one more year of preparation. That means we need a third line center for one year. But, in addition to the price tag for the likes of Lombardi and "He who shall not be spoken of", there is the matter that undoubtedly these guys are looking for a multi-year deal.

So, while we desperately need one of these guys this year, we only need them this year. Perhaps that plays a role.

Hmm. I am liking this Michalek fellow, did pretty good in PHO, has a solid rep. as a shutdown d-man which is exactly what we need and will be 'cheaper' then the other top UFA d-men. He is 28 as well so that sorta fits our new teams bill as well. I don't think it will happen, but stranger things have happened.
I've seen rumors in several places that he's going to play with his brother Milan in ... Ottawa?

Of course I am on record as someone who feels strongly that we have a clear cut weakness with a hole in the top 9 centers where we have 2/3.

In addition to a solid veteran defenseman (coastal), this is our biggest need for next year.

In that position we may have "many" options, but at least at this point we don't have any good options. The team is already going to be counting on a lot of prospects and guys who have to prove they still have it on the wings of all 3 lines to find goals. So it would be nice to have veterans up the middle (ones who are natural centers).

So, why is JR so seemingly relatively uninterested?

I see three options. One: he is bluffing. Two: he really likes one of our prospects and thinks he's ready to step up.

Three:  I am wondering if the main problem is long term more than anything. I suspect that ultimately JR thinks Dalphe will be the man. Well Dalphe probably needs one more year of preparation. That means we need a third line center for one year. But, in addition to the price tag for the likes of Lombardi and "He who shall not be spoken of", there is the matter that undoubtedly these guys are looking for a multi-year deal.

So, while we desperately need one of these guys this year, we only need them this year. Perhaps that plays a role.

One word...rebuild.

In a rebuild year, and with several players close to being ready, why not see what happens at camp.  Dwyer has has played the role of 3rd line center and can suffice until a true center emerges.  Matsumoto (aquired from Philly) is another possibility of a player that could be ready to compete for that position and there's always the chance that a player of interest may become attainable through FA.

I know its all we have to talk about this off season but lets see what the roster ends up looking like before we assume we have a gaping hole somewhere. 

we didnt trade for nash not to use him.  Dwyer and Nash will battle it out for 3rd or 4th line center. Neither one is the best option as CULLEN but Cullen is not coming back.  He will be signed by a team in the first 3-4 days and it wont be us. 

P.S. how many more names are we going to come up for Cullen?  Ill be glad when he signs with TOOTTAWA or another team so ya'll can stop "not mentioning" him as an option. 

Don't worry, he's expected to sign with Minny pretty early in free agency, so hopefully you won't have to hear the Cullen coming back talk much  longer. wink.gif

[quote name='caniac247 wrote:

gocanes0506']we didnt trade for nash not to use him.  Dwyer and Nash will battle it out for 3rd or 4th line center. Neither one is the best option as CULLEN but Cullen is not coming back.  He will be signed by a team in the first 3-4 days and it wont be us. 

P.S. how many more names are we going to come up for Cullen?  Ill be glad when he signs with TOOTTAWA or another team so ya'll can stop "not mentioning" him as an option. 

Don't worry, he's expected to sign with Minny pretty early in free agency, so hopefully you won't have to hear the Cullen coming back talk much  longer. wink.gif

Spectors has *Cullen* maybe going to Vancouver.

PS: I'd much rather have the Cullen talk than "the Great Babchuk Debate".

Guys.  Lets be realistic here.  If we have Dwyer centering the 3rd line then we really have to be worried.  We have to get a 40-50 points/season center to main our 3rd line if we at all want to even have a legit shot at making the playoffs. Dwyer is 27 years old.  He is not going to emerge as this go to go.  We are probably better off without him even playing and allow younger guys ice time.  Cullen would be a nice acquisition.  I just think the guys are to have a 40-50 points 3rd line center, and an experience/physical stay at home D man.  I think we should let the prospects comepete for winger positons and 4th line Center.  But we HAVE to have 3 good scoring centers otherwise we will be horrible.  Just my 2 cents.  Get Dwyer off the team and open up his spot for someone else.  The guy is not the answer.

Wonder if JR has the Yelle signing in the back of his head? Signs Yelle and finds out Sutter was beyond what he thought he was development wise. Likely makes him trigger shy this FA. 

Wonder if JR has the Yelle signing in the back of his head? Signs Yelle and finds out Sutter was beyond what he thought he was development wise. Likely makes him trigger shy this FA. 

Maybe so, Yelle was a good signing last season but he did become expendable.  Since several of the kids played so well last season, and since is the first season where there is going to be some competition for spots, why not see what we have before jumping the gun on some FA.  Unless of course the perfect player becomes available, JR has already said he would jump on that if the situation presented itself.

[quote name='TSA wrote:

caniac247 wrote:

gocanes0506']we didnt trade for nash not to use him.  Dwyer and Nash will battle it out for 3rd or 4th line center. Neither one is the best option as CULLEN but Cullen is not coming back.  He will be signed by a team in the first 3-4 days and it wont be us. 

Don't worry, he's expected to sign with Minny pretty early in free agency, so hopefully you won't have to hear the Cullen coming back talk much  longer.
wink.gif

Spectors has *Cullen* maybe going to Vancouver.

PS: I'd much rather have the Cullen talk than "the Great Babchuk Debate".

Pierre Lebrun has *Cullen* as a strong candidate for Minny. And Mike Russo, said the Wild has had 1 guy on their mind for target all week, and this morning he wrote a blog about Cullen. Minny is his hometown and they are looking for a centerman. All the pieces fit.

I think Anton Babchuk is our first/only signing of the day. So be prepared TSA for more of the Anton debate laugh.gif

Anyone else pretty curious about whats going on with Samsonov? There was no buyout, so there has to be a trade in the works, right?.. Maybe a trade involving both Sammy and Babchuk? Sanguinetti's shot is freakishly hard, so we wouldn't miss that from Babchuk.

Samsonov will have next season to redeem himself and play up to the top lines. I doubt we'll see him moved. Personally, I think he can still bring it at a 40-50 point level with the right linemates.

I never really started disliking his play that much either, I just thought from all of the buyout talk from JR that it was just common knownledge that he was leaving.

BTW, I certainly don't think Cullen's coming back either.  I wouldn't be surprised to see him end up in Minnesota.  
My prediction from last Saturday.  He was born there and there's been talk for quite some time they really want him.

Michalek is still a possibility as the Senators sign Gonchar to 3 years. I know its high hopes but one more team is off his suitor list.
I'm still hoping gocanes.  We have the dollars after not qualifying Carson and Picard and the Brindy retirement.  But, I think its a shot in the dark JR will pull the trigger. 

Does anyone else feel like we should be making an effort to bring Andrew Ladd back? I think he could be a top 6 forward for the Canes and not be terribly expensive. Plus, we know how JR likes to recycle.

I know the Canes were not looking for him, but he's an interesting resign extension at $22M over 4 years.  Marty is 35, so it is locked in stone on the cap hit. 

In light of the Whitney and Brindy issues, this is an interesting first move for  Yzerman.

BTW, rumor mill has it that Whit is seeing some action.