The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
TSA

Canes 2010 general off season talk

I know the Canes were not looking for him, but he's an interesting resign extension at $22M over 4 years.  Marty is 35, so it is locked in stone on the cap hit. 

In light of the Whitney and Brindy issues, this is an interesting first move for  Yzerman.

BTW, rumor mill has it that Whit is seeing some action.

St. Louis is a great player but you cant tell me Tampa might regret this in 3-4 years, especially with the NTC included.

From twitter...

DarrenDreger: 3 teams, at the moment chasing Ray Whitney. 1 offer on the table. Stay tuned.

Could the offer from JR be the one on the table?

Edit:  Colby Armstrong to the Leafs- $3mil x3years????  Wow, I hope Brian Burke has read up on the new head shot penalties approved for the upcoming season.  Thats a lot of money and time invested on a player that may end up suspended more than OV.   That said, Brian Burke is building his Ducks II in the East.

Ladd never really put up the points here.  Chicago's personnel complimented him better there. 

Yup, we have enough 2nd/3rd line tweeners as it is.  

If we're spending money on a winger, or assets in the form of a trade, it better be for a 1st liner.  

And don't get your hopes up for the D, my guess is that we'll see Brett Carson sign for about 600k and then our D will be set.  

From Chip...wow..

ice_chip: Jim Rutherford has talked with Joe Corvo's agent today

Not surprising to me, JR did say last year after the trade deadline, that you never know 1 or more players(that were traded) may be back with the team next season..

Yes, but think about all of the offensive defensemen we have.. McBabin, Pitkanen, Sanguinetti, maybe even Babchuk could be considered one.. Now another one? I don't dislike Corvo, and I do think he turned out to be a nice shutdown guy for us, but I just find this interesting

Any chance that we are looking at Carlo Colaiacovo as a depth Dman? He should be fairly cheap.

*just looked up some of his history and he's struggled with injuries so probably not

Getting very young --

ice_chip: Brind'Amour's gone one day and Whitney the next. So who does that leave as the oldest guy in the room?

ice_chip: Unless Brian Pothier (33) re-signs, it's Sergei Samsonov (31), who is about a week older than Erik Cole.

Very happy for Whitney. He apparently got his 2 year deal at good money. Maybe Whitney was tired of dealing with team owners and found a team without one. He should fit in well there and at least we won't see him that often. Whitney has all the makings of another ex - Cane Killer.

Now we can move on and let JR figure out what he is gonna do.

Does anyone else feel like we should be making an effort to bring Andrew Ladd back? I think he could be a top 6 forward for the Canes and not be terribly expensive. Plus, we know how JR likes to recycle.

I wish JR would stop recycling.

Edit: And that includes Corvo. We don't need another offensive d-man. Ugh.

Where is our scoring going to coem from?

Staal, Jussi(maybe)Ruutu(20 goals 40ish points maybe 50), Sutter(20 goals 40ish points maybe more) and then who?????????  Is anyone else extremely concerned at the current moment?  So far we have a iffy defense and a lack of goal scorers.  We need someone.  We can't rely on guys like Tlusty, Boychuck, or Sampson to fill the void that Whitney is leaving.  60 point scorers just don't magically appear.  We will not be able to play D and have a serious inability to put the puck in the net.  Not a very good combo.....  

Staal, Jussi, and then who?????????  Is anyone else extremely concerned at the current moment???

Your just now becoming concerned? We've known this for at least a month. 

Staal, Jussi, and then who?????????  Is anyone else extremely concerned at the current moment???

Yeah, I'm somewhat depressed.  However, look at last year, I was flying high at this time, only to crash.  I'm hoping for the opposite effect this year.

Look, I know without Ray and that other guy who's name starts with C we are panicking.  But I'm not sure how much Ray had left anyway.

I do hope JR has something up his sleeve.  Or I hope Cole/Sammy finds their mojo.  Or let's hope the kids catch fire.

This next season will be very interesting, putting this much pressure on so many for the most part unproven kids. They could either take the pressure real well and excel, or we could be looking at another long season and looking forward to the draft.

I re-edited my post.  The only thing we can hope for in Sampsonov to return to form like he was when we got him off waivers.  He was a machine out there and honestly nobody could contain the guy.  Cole is done.  He hasn't been the same since the injury.  Larose is iffy.  The only guys that will be reliable are Staal, Ruutu, Jussi, and Sutter for scoring.  I am being optimistic on Sutter and Ruutu too.  I feel Ruutu can put up 50 points.  I mean what can JR do??  Maybe sign 2 20 goal scorers to help fill the void???

Looks like Ladd is headed to the thrashers.
OK, so there is the management connection between ATL and CHI.  The more this goes on, the more it looks like Atlanta is trying to build a Blackhawks East.wink.gif