The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
TSA

Canes 2010 general off season talk

well we may be fighting for last with Florida.  ATL is really upping their lineup.  Too bad they did that about a half of season too late to keep kovalchuk.

If Hamhuis signs with the Canucks (which it looks like he will), there is a good chance Kevin Bieksa and or Christian Ehrhoff could be in play.. Something to think about..

They way I see it is, if we are rebuilding, this is great for the kids. No "pressure" to make the playoffs and cup, unlike MTL, NYR, etc... I mean, I'd definitely would like to make the PO and win the Cup... but... do you get what I'm saying??

They way I see it is, if we are rebuilding, this is great for the kids. No "pressure" to make the playoffs and cup, unlike MTL, NYR, etc... I mean, I'd definitely would like to make the PO and win the Cup... but... do you get what I'm saying??
You mean, like the Canes played at the end of the season last year, after their statistical probability of getting in the PO was something like %0.5?  Yep, no pressure and they just played without gripping the stick too tightly as they say.

Yes, I guess you could say that.. "youngin's" get the opportunity to play hard and work well, and if things go great, great. They're getting opportunities, their learning from vets like.... um... Sammi... ugh... Cole... TKO...and Rosie... hmm... I'll get back to you. wink.gif

Yes, I guess you could say that.. "youngin's" get the opportunity to play hard and work well, and if things go great, great. They're getting opportunities, their learning from vets like.... um... Sammi... ugh... Cole... TKO...and Rosie... hmm... I'll get back to you. wink.gif
Don't forget about Ronnie, Brindy, and Wesley from the front office, I'm sure they'll be in positions to help the young guys out and guide them without being on the ice.

I know what you're sayin', and I have those concerns too, but...

There's a few things to consider about "learning" and "bonding".

First, Skinner specifically has pointed out he can't wait to learn/work with Staal.  Eric has been around a while now to experience a few things.  The highs of the cup, the lows of getting blown out in the ECF.  Injuries.  Fans raggin' on him during some dark periods.  An ascent to captaincy.  Getting in trouble with the law.  Dealing with family issues.  Sure he's young, but he's got some experience under that belt.

Second, sometimes the old guys may not have off ice time to play with the kids, which can also be important.  Now I don't know about Ray or the others, so I'm not trying to put any words in their mouths, but sometimes a "youngish" guy without a big family might provide more bonding and off-ice learning time than the old guys who have kids to deal with.  Yeah, believe it or not, I'm thinking Sutter and LaRose.

Third, on ice, in game: no doubt I'd want Ray and Roddy.  Let's hope that Staal can bring it.  It is his to lead.

You bring up some good points with Staal. Young, but experienced. I suppose thats how it is with 18/19 yr olds starting out now. By the time they're 25, they've got some good years under their belt. I'm definitely looking forward to seeing how Sutter does this year. Looked like a good two way player. Hopefully that continues. So, what are the chances of Dalpe, Boychuk, Skinner making the Big Show? Haven't seen any of them except for online highlights.

I think we have to wait to see how all this plays out but it does appear the young ones are gonna get a crack at making the team. I still think we are going to make at least a couple of more moves.

Well thats that.  Matt Cullen to MN per Darren Dredger.

Since most ex-Canes kill us, at least Cullen and Whitney are heading out West.

TSNBobMcKenzie: Cullen got 3 years at $3.5M from Minny.

Wow, congrats to Matt Cullen.  No way could should we have matched that.

Well---we play Minn x2 in overseas and PHX one time in Oct------so we won"t see our ex-canes the rest of the year !

Minnesota badly needed a 2nd line center. And it is Matt's home state. I wish you well Matt !  

Well---we play Minn x2 in overseas and PHX one time in Oct------so we won"t see our ex-canes the rest of the year !
We still need to see where Corvo surfaces.  wink.gif

Where is our scoring going to coem from?

Staal, Jussi(maybe)Ruutu(20 goals 40ish points maybe 50), Sutter(20 goals 40ish points maybe more) and then who?????????  Is anyone else extremely concerned at the current moment?  So far we have a iffy defense and a lack of goal scorers.  We need someone.  We can't rely on guys like Tlusty, Boychuck, or Sampson to fill the void that Whitney is leaving.  60 point scorers just don't magically appear.  We will not be able to play D and have a serious inability to put the puck in the net.  Not a very good combo.....  

Whitney's 20 goals are the majority of the scoring we will be missing for sure next year.  A mixture of the young guys stepping up this year and more scoring from our defense-men could take care of some of that.  Our offense was 13th in the league last year, so I think we still have the potential to be average or better this year, even with just bringing up the kids.  A solid 20 goal, 40-50 point third line center sure would be nice though.

Stay at home, experienced, 2nd line d-man is still our biggest need in my book.  Our defense was terrible last year, and, so far, my hopes for it being better this year are dim.

Not to be pessimistic----but I am feeling a bottom of the NHL season year coming up---to go

with our bottom of the salary cap outlay.  

I think it was a big mistake to let Whit go----given our extreme youth. I see no one to give real

leadership. (sorry Staal) I sure hope I feel better about all this in a few days.   sad.gif