Columbus Derek MacKenzie(notes) 28 $550,000

Dallas Krys Barch(notes) 29 $575,000

Minnesota Andrew Ebbett(notes) 26 $500,000

St. Louis Cam Paddock(notes) 26 $525,000

Tampa Bay Zenon Konopka(notes) 28 $500,000

Vancouver Yan Stastny(notes) 26 $500,000

Washington Eric Belanger(notes) 31 $1,750,000

Washington Alexandre Giroux(notes) 28 $500,000

Eric - Too old for our youth movement imo, but JR does love bringing back people. Maybe could work if he is able to trade a few bodies

Everyone else - Under 600k and maybe under 28/29, skill not required, must be willing to take a 2 way.

Edit - Not saying those are people I want on the team, but realistically speaking

well good atleast this ridiculous talk of Cullen coming back can officially stop
One step forward, two backwards, and now you fall down.  Sorry we bored you with our talk of the afermentioned but henceforth not mentionable skinny two-way center we just lost to MN because we're on the cheap.  th_shakeshead.gif 

Wellwood or Morrison. I dont know how much morrison is going to get a raise. Wellwood would be well within price range.

How trading for a guy like Kyle Brodziak from Min or Tyler kennedy from Pit? Pit could use a good winger spec that is close to NHL ready. Kennedy could really burst out this season.

[quote name='coastal_caniac wrote:

gocanes0506']well good atleast
this ridiculous talk of Cullen
coming back can officially stop

One step forward, two backwards, and now you fall down.  Sorry we bored you with our talk of the afermentioned but henceforth not mentionable skinny two-way center we just lost to MN because we're on the cheap.  th_shakeshead.gif 

Well we didnt miss out on him because we're "on the cheap"  IT has to do with the fact that he is over paid.  No falling down here. 

Wellwood or Morrison. I dont know how much morrison is going to get a raise. Wellwood would be well within price range.

How trading for a guy like Kyle Brodziak from Min or Tyler kennedy from Pit? Pit could use a good winger spec that is close to NHL ready. Kennedy could really burst out this season.

I've always really liked Tyler Kennedy, but I don't really think we need anymore people under 6'0..

What about Jim Slater? Scored 11 goals last year.. 27 years old.. Shouldn't be too expensive

EDIT: Hmm.. According to nhlnumbers.com, Jim Slater is still under contract..

[quote name='Ichigo-1 wrote:

jeromeo87']This is a list of availble Centers... see any you like? THAT WE CAN AFFORD

Calgary Colin Stuart(notes) 26 $500,000

Columbus Derek MacKenzie(notes) 28 $550,000

Dallas Krys Barch(notes) 29 $575,000

Minnesota Andrew Ebbett(notes) 26 $500,000

St. Louis Cam Paddock(notes) 26 $525,000

Tampa Bay Zenon Konopka(notes) 28 $500,000

Vancouver Yan Stastny(notes) 26 $500,000

Washington Eric Belanger(notes) 31 $1,750,000

Washington Alexandre Giroux(notes) 28 $500,000

Eric - Too old for our youth movement imo, but JR does love bringing back people. Maybe could work if he is able to trade a few bodies

Everyone else - Under 600k and maybe under 28/29, skill not required, must be willing to take a 2 way.

Edit - Not saying those are people I want on the team, but realistically speaking

Belanger was a horrid fit here. The best/only thing he did was come packaged with Gleason. This is one recycling project I don't see us taking on board.

John Madden, now theres a guy I wouldn't mind having. I've liked him for years, price tags outta our range but he deserves every penny for sure. Won't give ya points but he'll keep points off the board and that's invaluable at times.

Belanger was a horrid fit here. The best/only thing he did was come packaged with Gleason. This is one recycling project I don't see us taking on board.

Not only that but the guy thinks he's 10 times better then he is. He wanted our 2nd line center spot and he dern well at times was no better then a 4th line center.

Like I said not something I would like to happen, but then again I didn't think we would see Babchuk here again either.

tyler kennedy is 5'11

Heck possible linemates

Osala 6'4

Tlusty 6'0

Boychuk 5'10

Matsumoto 6'0

Jerad Staal 6'3

I think he would be ok height wise.

I was kind of thinking of the bigger picture.. We have Boychuk at 5'10 (which is generous btw), Samsonov at 5'8, we just drafted Skinner at 5'10, and Jokinen is 5'11... Besides, your third line needs to be a bigger line as it is usually called the checking line.. But hey, if I woke up tomorrow and found out we traded for Kennedy, I would be a happy guy.

[quote name='jeromeo87 wrote:

gocanes0506']tyler kennedy is 5'11

Heck possible linemates

Osala 6'4

Tlusty 6'0

Boychuk 5'10

Matsumoto 6'0

Jerad Staal 6'3

I think he would be ok height wise.

I was kind of thinking of the bigger picture.. We have Boychuk at 5'10 (which is generous btw), Samsonov at 5'8, we just drafted Skinner at 5'10, and Jokinen is 5'11... Besides, your third line needs to be a bigger line as it is usually called the checking line.. But hey, if I woke up tomorrow and found out we traded for Kennedy, I would be a happy guy.

I hear ya.  I dont think the 3rd line will be the checking line for the team though as that will be our checker line more than checking line.  That is unless ruutu or a guy like Madden is signed to center that line. 

I want to start off by saying that I am a fairly newer hockey fan so I may come off as a little ignorant.....With that being said, has anyone ever thought about the fact that with Wesley, Francis, and Brindy helping out these younger kids on and off the ice, that is where these newer guys will learn and still have the awesome leadership? Except the obvious fact that they won't be playing on the ice with them. Do these guys still have a high level of impact on the younger crowd off the ice as well? I want to believe so.

With that in mind, if what I believe is the case, I think this season we are in for a treat. As a canes fan I stand behind JR's decision 100% and have a good feeling about these guys. I mean how bad is it REALLY? We have a bunch of awesome players like Ward, Stahl bros., Gleason, Pits, Sutter, La Rose...list goes on and on. Come to think of it with people like these guys not only do I think that the veteran moves we have made will pan out, I think it will be the best decision of all. Mainly because (and maybe it's wishfull thinking) the other people on the team like Ward, gleason, and La Rose will hopefully mature a little more (come out of the shyness so to speak) and "step up to the plate" to become the next leaders of this team and also help get the newer guys aclimated and get them to full potential. Do I think that its going to be perfect? No, but I do believe it will work out better than expected.

Defense, Defense, Defense.......Right now on the Depth Chart: Pittkanen/Gleason, Babchuck/McBain, Sanguinetti/Harrison. (I realize it's only July)

JR-Corvo is still out there! Get us a legitimate 2nd line Defensive Player. Forwards look fine with Jerome Samson ready to take Coles spot at training camp. Defense looks very porous right now but I hope that will change when September comes. I know we're going cheap but surely we can afford Corvo who still has the leadership abilities(along with Gleason/Pittkanen) and can be an asset on the 2nd Power Play Line. We are taking a HUGE gamble if we don't fix that 2nd line defense. I could definitely see Babchuck/McBain or Sanguinetti on the THIRD line.....but Harrison needs to strictly be an alternate. Cmon JR....pony up for Corvo

Apparently, Columbus is shopping Filatov.. Maybe could be a good fit here - and if i'm not mistaken, I think they are looking for an offensive defenseman..we have plenty of those.

Defense, Defense, Defense.......Right now on the Depth Chart: Pittkanen/Gleason, Babchuck/McBain, Sanguinetti/Harrison. (I realize it's only July)

JR-Corvo is still out there! Get us a legitimate 2nd line Defensive Player. Forwards look fine with Jerome Samson ready to take Coles spot at training camp. Defense looks very porous right now but I hope that will change when September comes. I know we're going cheap but surely we can afford Corvo who still has the leadership abilities(along with Gleason/Pittkanen) and can be an asset on the 2nd Power Play Line. We are taking a HUGE gamble if we don't fix that 2nd line defense. I could definitely see Babchuck/McBain or Sanguinetti on the THIRD line.....but Harrison needs to strictly be an alternate. Cmon JR....pony up for Corvo

Corvo would be the wrong D to sign IMO. Canes need a defensive D. The offensive D is covered with Pit, McBain, Sang, & Babchuk. The only true Defensive D on the roster is Gleason! Harrison is only a depth D. I would not want him to start out in the top 6.

Andy Sutton on a one year deal would be what the Canes need, but he may be too expensive. Hopefully, JR will find that diamond in the rough Defensive Dman that they need.pimp.gif

Actually, I don't care who he signs for D - they will be an upgrade over Harrison.  Harrison may be a decent depth / 7th D-man, but we need someone back there.  Sutton would be nice.  But I'd take Corvo or Pothier too.  Someone.  How about Colaiacovo? He's a UFA too made 1.3 last year.

Suddenly these boards come alive! 

OK Cullen is gone. As with others I thought that would be the case, and with what he got, it's not looking good for picking up any free agents that are even middle of the road productive. This team would have been MUCH better with him though. Oh well. 

I don't think we have a gaping hole at third line center, but all of our prospects and all of our struggling vets are wingers. There is a hole there. Every team must roll three lines. This is still an issue. Dwyer has not shown that level IMO. Maybe JR really sees one of his draft-day trade pick ups stepping up. Hopefully that is a backup plan because this is the perfect spot for a typical JR move a bit down the road: A guy with potential that slipped through the cracks (or two one for third line center, one for dfense). We shall see. 

Babchuk back. Hey why not? We need defense and heck we need offense too, Babchuk can at least bring the offense.

Not only do I agree with the idea that it is unclear where our non-Staal scoring is going to come from, but a few months ago I posted a probably too long manifesto about it. 

My main point is and has been that the Canes have dumped a TON of salary (now Cullen, Whitney, Brindy all officially gone (yes Brindy's salary still partly there), to go with Walker, Wallin, Corvo, A.Ward, etc. It just seems that they can go cheap without going ultra cheap. 

We shall see. There is still time. Maybe a trade?

My main point is and has been that the Canes have dumped a TON of salary (now Cullen, Whitney, Brindy all officially gone (yes Brindy's salary still partly there), to go with Walker, Wallin, Corvo, A.Ward, etc. It just seems that they can go cheap without going ultra cheap. 

We shall see. There is still time. Maybe a trade?

On the flip side of all the money we saved with dumping those players, a lot more money is going to be spent in actual payroll paid for the players that are getting raises in their contracts this year.  Both Staal and Ward will be getting 1.5 million more each, Ruutu 1 M more etc.  All in all, when you add up the raises this year they total about 6.5 million more than we paid last year for our contracted players.  Not sure how that all factors in.

Surely there will be additions, who, when, what?  Who the heck knows.

Let me put it this way.  With the current roster that we have.  We will be competing for the first round draft pick next season.  We had some serious scoring issues last season and things just took a turn for the worse.  Cole and Sam are iffy.  Our only reliable guys are Jussi, Staal, Pitkanen Ruutu. there is nobody else that is a proven scorer that I have confidence in.  I hope Sutter develops which I think he will.  LaRose is not going to get 40-50 points this season unless he stays healthy.  Cole hasn't been the same since the injury.  Sammy will just wait to show up to play when he has to look for another contract.  We are in some serious trouble here this season. 

Skinner is not going to make the team.  I really don't know what to think of this situation .  The only player that might give us a glimmer of hope is Samson.  That is also a big MAYBE.  We need a PROVEN veteran center that can put some points on the board or even just a solid defensive minded center that is good in the FO department. Goign out on a limb here but someone like Jarret Stoll would be a nice fit in my opinion.  It's probably not going to happen though.  Actually it won't happen.    Center should be priority and then sign a cheap, big, phsycial, stay at home veteran defensemen.  I just don't think boychuck is the answer to our 3rd line center position and it better not be Dwyer either.  Thoughts?  

Jokinen-Staal-Samson

Cole-Sutter-Samsonov

Tlustvy(sp?)-Ruutu-Larose or  Tlusvy-Ruutu-Osala

Osala/Larose-Boychuck-Kostopolus

This is the line combinations I forsee.  I think Samson is going to be relied on to produce some points this season.  Osala will be our big guy to screen the goalie/be in front of the net during the PP.  That's how I would use the guy....