The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
TSA

Canes 2010 general off season talk

If I am not mistaken, we currently have about $16M in cap space available. The question is how much of that are they willing to spend.
According to PK, none of it apparently.  I understand the wanting to go cheaper, I don't get the 'Cap Floor Budget'.  Which is what this whole argument boils down to.  Tough situation for the team this year.  Owner wants to sell, and to do so he wants to make it attractive to buyers by cutting expenses.  However at the same time, if the team stinks on ice, he cuts his own throat.  

If I am not mistaken, we currently have about $16M in cap space available. The question is how much of that are they willing to spend.

Well if you believe what you read only about 5-6 more million, or some where around 43-45 mil for this season.  Right up against the Cap floor

[quote name='nhbeast wrote:

Category5']If I am not mistaken, we currently have about $16M in cap space available. The question is how much of that are they willing to spend.

According to PK, none of it apparently.  I understand the wanting to go cheaper, I don't get the 'Cap Floor Budget'.  Which is what this whole argument boils down to.  Tough situation for the team this year.  Owner wants to sell, and to do so he wants to make it attractive to buyers by cutting expenses.  However at the same time, if the team stinks on ice, he cuts his own throat.  

It will be even worse, because if the team stinks and it is obvious that the ownership actually let it happen on purpose to go ultra-cheap, and further that going just lowish budget might have avoided the losing, but still they chose to go super cheap, it will be like ripping his own head off. 

Now, I know, there is still time, and in the end they might make a key move before it's too late, but I'm just saying if they stick to the "ultra cheap we can't even afford one measly middle of the road free agent despite dumping hoards of them" plan and then they suck...the RBC center crowd will approximate the Lipinzzaner Stallion "crowd" pretty quickly. Can't imagine that will help sell part of the team.

Again, I know it is early, this is just a worst case profile. Though it is the professed plan of JR.

btw: I know this will draw some fire from the "why can't you just accept that we are going to suck folks" and the "JR has said he isn't going for any free agents early folks" and the "Dwyer is our 3rd center folks". And I know it is probably not even a longshot, but Lombardi is still out there.

[quote name='nhbeast wrote:

Category5']If I am not mistaken, we currently have about $16M in cap space available. The question is how much of that are they willing to spend.

It will be even worse, because if the team stinks and it is obvious that the ownership actually let it happen on purpose to go ultra-cheap, and further that going budget might have avoided it rather than going super cheap, it will be like ripping his own head off. 

Now, I know, there is still time, and in the end they might make a key move before it's too late, but I'm just saying if they stick to the "ultra cheap we can't even afford one measly middle of the road free agent despite dumping hoards of them" plan and then they suck...the RBC center crowd will approximate the Lipinzzaner Stallion "crowd" pretty quickly. Can't imagine that will help sell part of the team.

Again, I know it is early, this is just a worst case profile. Though it is the professed plan of JR.

Hmmm.....well I don't want to start a whole Babchuk's "defense" debate, nor do I want to assume too much from the youngsters, but there are two or three points that seem clear, but unrealized by a lot of us.  I'm with the poster that said, we would be "surprised" by this year's team.  We have, for a while, rolled a defense that is filled with journeymen, blue collar types.  It was only over the last couple of years that we even had a truly serviceable "puck moving defenseman" (Franky K. was not that guy).  A couple of points:

1. Babchuk's defense is better than he gets credit for.  For the most part he's positionally sound, blocks a ton of shots.  On the down-side he's not the most mobile guy and he, like many other offensively minded defensemen, tends to have the occasionally mental lapse.  He's most remembered for these during our last ECF run.

2. McBain's defense is highly under-rated.  He's very sound and got better over the course of his brief stint.  He even occasionally throws the body.  I expect continued improvement from him and see him as a future all-star, two-way d-man.

3. Assuming a few less injuries this year (not saying no major injuries, just a few less), and you have the very real possiblity of guys like Ruutu getting back to 55-60 points, Sammy getting back to 40 or even 45 points, LaRose getting back to 45 or so points, and Cole getting back to 45 or 50 points.  This, of course assumes some 3rd line time for Sammy and maybe some PP time for LaRose.  Regardless, these 4 guys will score at least 20% points than they did last year (in aggregate) IF they can just stay healthy.

4. We are going to give the young guys every chance to play on the big club.  Boychuk is a near lock.  Either Dalpe or Matsumoto could/should win the 3rd line center's job outright (and I would guess that's JR's hope as well).  Samson, Osala, Bowman, and Dodge will see time w/the big club on a rotating basis (because we will have injuries and youngsters go through slumps).

5. The 7th Defenseman is either Borer or Rodney and I think its Borer (which means its really Harrison).  Could we pick up a cheap Joe Corvo or someone else of his ilk?  Sure, and while I would like more of a stay at home guy, Corvo's got one of the best "sticks" in the league and can really frustrate good shooters.  So JR might surprise us all and go out and get somebody who's more than a 1 year stop gap, but with the way salaries are going this UFA season, I'm thinking he'll be content to keep his powder dry unless something incredible falls into his lap.

So I think we roll lines that look like this:

Jokinen/Staal/Ruutu

Boychuk/Sutter/Cole

Tlusty/Dalpe/Samsonov or LaRose

Samsonov/Dwyer or Matsumoto/K-stop

Pitkanen/McBain

Gleason/Babchuk

Sanguinetti/?

Harrison

Ward

Peters

And I'm still not so sure that Carson is done with us...we'll see where that shakes out as well. 

I also think that its not too much to ask 40 to 45 points of Tlusty and Boychuk.  Quite frankly, as developing 1st rounders that should be the expectation.

Finally, I do think that there's some sort of trade in the works that may or may not yield a defenseman back to us (Sammy and a pick, Sammy/Babchuk, Sammy/Babchuk and a pick).  We really do need Samsonov's spot on that 3rd/4th line (he's wasted on the 4th line).  Even if Babchuk goes in a trade we still have options on defense; we just need one more skilled guy.

My two cents...

You can pencil this in:

Pitkanen will play with Babs, Gleason with McBain, and Harrison will be the last guy paired with either Sangs, Borer, or Rodney.  If JR brings in another defenseman, that will push McBain down with Harrison, and these other guys will be the 7th defenseman and\or depth guys.  If JR can bring in someone like Sutton, then I guess I could live with this defense for one year.  But, if we have a couple of guys go down at the same time (and they will)  it could get ugly.

I know it's another longshot, but JR's coveted Frolov for awhile now. He's still available....

Come on JR. Move some folks around to make it happen (even though you probably won't). Moving Sammy somewhere would clear over 2 mil I think (assuming we replace his spot with a Rat/Checker at around 500k). Depending on how much Frolov would sign for, we'd be over the self-imposed cap by around 2 mil. Sounds to me like one of those "we'll go over our cap only if the perfect fit is out there" kinda guys.

Looking at the current payroll we have 2-3 mil we can spend under our self imposed guidelines.  We still need to sign Peters so lets say we have 2 million to work with.Corvo would use every bit of that and more. After that for every add we need to subtract. I think we will make some more moves but if it's for a quality Player it will have to come through trade.  If we were to stay with the current players I think Ruutu has to go to third line center.  I can't imagine there isn't another move or two coming.

Everyone is forgetting about Skinner, who I think has a real opportunity to make this team out of camp.

Not saying he will, but it is possible.  If he does, then we have our centers and Ruutu won't have to be moved there.

I have seen a rumor (don't remember where) that Edmonton is putting Sheldon Souray on waivers. If we could get him on re-entry it would be $2.25M ($2.7 M cap hit) for this year and next. He had a short season last year due to injury (hand I think) but put up 50 points the year before - has scored 20+ goals twice.

I remember reading somewhere that JR said he wouldn't spend over $50 mill. Does anyone know where we are right now?

Souray is on waivers. Getting Souray is a pipe dream. But if it'll make it happen... let me hit the pipe again.

Everyone is forgetting about Skinner, who I think has a real opportunity to make this team out of camp.

Not saying he will, but it is possible.  If he does, then we have our centers and Ruutu won't have to be moved there.

I'm pretty sure the Canes are planning on using Skinner as a winger - he has been categorized as both a center and a winger.

Unless I misunderstand, the order of priority is based on team rankings which should put us 7th on the list (i.e. 6 other teams have higher priority to claim him if they wish). I would think that even with a self imposed cap, if he becomes available for half price we try for him. Would POSSIBLY make up for some of the goal scoring we just lost.

I remember reading somewhere that JR said he wouldn't spend over $50 mill. Does anyone know where we are right now?

Souray is on waivers. Getting Souray is a pipe dream. But if it'll make it happen... let me hit the pipe again.

$43,820,833 according to capgeek.com but that does not include contracts for Peters (unsigned) or any of the unsigned kids (Rodney, Borer).

I think we are talking 44 to 45 mil on salaries. We are just over 42 mil right now.

According to multiple reports, the New York Islanders are closing in on an agreement with defenseman Mark Eaton, 33, who spent the last four seasons with the Pittsburgh Penguins. Last season he scored 3 goals and 13 assists in 79 games and was plus-5.

Dangit.. one of the guys I would have liked to see in a Canes jersey..

Unless I misunderstand, the order of priority is based on team rankings which should put us 7th on the list (i.e. 6 other teams have higher priority to claim him if they wish). I would think that even with a self imposed cap, if he becomes available for half price we try for him. Would POSSIBLY make up for some of the goal scoring we just lost.

Pierre LeBrun:  Oilers have zero interest in eating half of Souray's contract via re-entry waivers. They want to lose his full contract on normal waivers.  Not saying Oilers will succeed in losing Souray on normal waivers, just passing on what they're telling me,

Our D still needs an overhaul.

Rangers have Cap room problems, and are far apart on negotiations for a big raise with Marc Staal. Make the move, and trade for him. If you can get him for Joni, do it. If not, move Joni elsewhere to clear room. With Sergei and Cole coming off next year there is room to spend on Marc Staal.

Sign Carlo Colaiacovo as UFA from the Blues and stay young.

Gleason-McBain

M. Staal - Babs

Sanquinetti-Colaiacovo

http://www.thefourthperio...reeagents/top30ufas.html

Interesting, has us looking at belanger.

Belanger was a terrible fit the last time he was here. Not going to happen IMO.

As for trading Pitkanen to free up salary to go after Marc Staal? Why? Why do people keeping suggesting getting rid of Pitkanen when our defense is already paper thin? This makes ZERO sense.

If we get the Belanger we got back in 06-07 (or whenever it was) then yes, PASS. But I think it would be different this time around. Belanger played pretty darn great in the playoffs - besides, the Hurricanes are a different team now with different players and a different playing style. Not to mention Belanger is better than nothing. I'd take him.

[quote name='TheBigKahuna wrote:

CaniacKidd']

Interesting, has us looking at belanger.

Belanger was a terrible fit the last time he was here. Not going to happen IMO.

As for trading Pitkanen to free up salary to go after Marc Staal? Why? Why do people keeping suggesting getting rid of Pitkanen when our defense is already paper thin? This makes ZERO sense.

Agree on Belanger.  As for Joni/Staal, IMO Joni roams around and doesn't cover defensive responsibilities.  He is a unique talent, but I'd prefer a true defender compared to his style.  Makes sense to me, but you may have a different view about what Joni brings (or doesn't) to the defense corp.

Alot of the team did not play to expectations last season, but I do remember going to games and pulling my hair out at the "lazy passes" and stupid penalties Joni would take.embarassed.gif

I agree.. Joni can be brilliant at times, but i really wouldn't consider him a "character" player that this franchise searches for. If there is any doubt in JR's mind about whether or not he can resign Pitkanen, trade him.

Comparing Joni to a typical defense-man is like apples in oranges imo. He has his moments that is for sure, but who on this team doesn't at some points? Just a few points regarding Joni: was fourth overall on our entire team in points (46, 2nd overall with assist) and was the healthiest D player on the squad while logging the most average minutes of all NHL players (27:22). I don't know if any one of our current D-men can put up 46 points. Babs? It could happen, but he could flee to Russia again for all I know or who knows what. I'm not trying to put the guy up higher then he is, I mean he can be soft some times and then will take a dumb penalty, but I think he gets thrown under the bus sometimes unfairly imho.

As far as trading him, what could we get for him? Draft picks with a prospect would be the likely scenario I think, who knows? As long as we get another Finn in the deal I guess it will be ok roll.gifoff season is starting to make me loony. laugh.gif