The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
TSA

Canes 2010 general off season talk

It's always the same two or three people who dislike Pitkanen. The numbers don't lie, he's the best defenseman on this team right now, AND he's not making 5 million or more a season. Yet. Next summer, if he has another decent year, he'll be amongst the higher paid d-men in the league. Al lthose minutes AND points....Joni will make 6 million plus on the open FA market. I say the Canes enjoy it while it lasts....beause if JR can't talk him into a long term deal by July ( and JR claims he doesn't like to resign players during the season), Joni will be gone. You haters will get your wish. And we'll all regret it when we rely on Babchuk to replace him.

It's always the same two or three people who dislike Pitkanen. The numbers don't lie, he's the best defenseman on this team right now, AND he's not making 5 million or more a season. Yet. Next summer, if he has another decent year, he'll be amongst the higher paid d-men in the league. Al lthose minutes AND points....Joni will make 6 million plus on the open FA market. I say the Canes enjoy it while it lasts....beause if JR can't talk him into a long term deal by July ( and JR claims he doesn't like to resign players during the season), Joni will be gone. You haters will get your wish. And we'll all regret it when we rely on Babchuk to replace him.
I agree completely... Paul Martin just got $5 mill a year for 5 years. Pits will get AT LEAST that if he has another good season on a team that didn't score a helluva lot of goals.

Getting Marc Staal is too risky. First... he's restricted... so you'd have to compensate the Rangers if you signed him to an offer sheet and he accepted. The only real option would be to trade for him, but The Rags will want a healthy return... and if there's any risk in getting a contract signed, you can't afford to risk it.

I know I'll get upset throughout the year, and say JR should have spent more money, but I'm really excited about seeing some youngsters on the team... I hope they're as talented as they seem to be. Especially Skinner and Nash... and that guy from the Rags....can't spell it...haha

Rangers have Cap room problems, and are far apart on negotiations for a big raise with Marc Staal. Make the move, and trade for him. If you can get him for Joni, do it. If not, move Joni elsewhere to clear room. With Sergei and Cole coming off next year there is room to spend on Marc Staal.

If The Rags are having Cap room problems, why would they trade Marc Staal for Joni, when their salaries will be comparable next season?

[quote name='ThaRaven wrote:

Manwolf']Rangers have Cap room problems, and are far apart on negotiations for a big raise with Marc Staal. Make the move, and trade for him. If you can get him for Joni, do it. If not, move Joni elsewhere to clear room. With Sergei and Cole coming off next year there is room to spend on Marc Staal.

If The Rags are having Cap room problems, why would they trade Marc Staal for Joni, when their salaries will be comparable next season?

Cap room is their primary motive.  I said "if" the Rags are willing to take Joni (and for more offense than Staal affords).  Depends on the negotiations with Staal, but if they're broken/failing the Rags may be motivated.  Otherwise, there are likely many takers for Joni to make this happen since you'll need Joni' s $$$ to pay Staal.

Seriously....Pittkanen is one of our top two defensemen. Don't even discuss getting rid of him....lol..it's just ridiculous.....Hope there is still a quality defenseman left in september for JR to pickup. Cole and/or Sammy will probably be dealt away by December/January for who knows what....we have to see what the youth will bring us in the first 3 months.

Seriously....Pittkanen is one of our top two defensemen. Don't even discuss getting rid of him....lol..it's just ridiculous.....Hope there is still a quality defenseman left in september for JR to pickup. Cole and/or Sammy will probably be dealt away by December/January for who knows what....we have to see what the youth will bring us in the first 3 months.
I'm not saying just up and trade the guy away - all i'm saying is that if JR feels like he isn't going to be able to resign him, then yeah why not trade him away and get something off of him? It's kind of like the Whitney situation we just went through. He could have been traded at the deadline, JR decided not to do that - and whitney walked without us getting anything out of his departure.

EDIT: And when I say trade him, I mean more around the trade deadline.

Whitney had a No-Trade-Clause and had JR by the short and curlies in that situation. Pitkanen does not. If Jimmy thinks hthe price for Pitkanen will be way out of his budget, he will trade Pits at the deadline....no doubt about it. There's no similarities in those two scenarios in my opinion. But to trade Pitkanen NOW makes no sense when the Canes defense looks like it couldn't beat it's way out of a wet paper bag as it stands now. I'd like to see them have a fighting chance this season. The SE division is going to be TOUGH this year. Tampa and Atlanta have gotten MUCH better, at least on paper. We'll need Pits...for all 27 minutes a night.

But it's become more than apparent over the past year, that a few people here hate Pitkanen. That's fine, I have players I'm not fond of either. But I try to refrain from suggesting silly trades JUST to get rid of someone I don't like. There are times where no player frustrates me more than Staal...but I wouldn't trade him for Oli Jokinen just to get rid of him! wink.gif

Thank goodness!  Stay expensive Corvo. We don't need Corvo back with the Canes. WE NEED A DEFENSIVE DMAN!!!!!!!!!!!! A guy who blocks shots, & takes care of his own end first.

Anyone know of one of those?

On trading Pitakanen I would just ask. How bad do we want to be this year?

Our core of reliable productive, proven NHL players might be the smallest in the NHL. We are dangerously thin there.

Staal, Jokininen, Ruutu.

Pitkanen, Gleason

Ward

Sammy and Cole certainly don't qualify, and while Sutter is probably on that list, he has to put up one more good year to really be there. McBain looks very promising as do Tlusty and Boychuk, and we have a ton of decent prospects, but right now this is really a full on cheap, full on rebuild team.

In order to have any decent chance next year we have to add one or two to the core. The last thing we need is to lose one of those guys. I understand about not being able to resign Joni next year, but at this point this year is looking so desperate, that we simply can't lose any more core guys.

I await some move by JR to pick up someone who can add to that solid veteran core. But we certainly can't lose anyone else in that category.

Whitney had a No-Trade-Clause and had JR by the short and curlies in that situation. Pitkanen does not. If Jimmy thinks hthe price for Pitkanen will be way out of his budget, he will trade Pits at the deadline....no doubt about it. There's no similarities in those two scenarios in my opinion. But to trade Pitkanen NOW makes no sense when the Canes defense looks like it couldn't beat it's way out of a wet paper bag as it stands now. I'd like to see them have a fighting chance this season. The SE division is going to be TOUGH this year. Tampa and Atlanta have gotten MUCH better, at least on paper. We'll need Pits...for all 27 minutes a night.

But it's become more than apparent over the past year, that a few people here hate Pitkanen. That's fine, I have players I'm not fond of either. But I try to refrain from suggesting silly trades JUST to get rid of someone I don't like. There are times where no player frustrates me more than Staal...but I wouldn't trade him for Oli Jokinen just to get rid of him! wink.gif

While I do think he lacks character, I never said I didn't like him. Besides, you have some "silly" things to say sometimse too. Like "i never really liked Whiteny's play." Do I think we should have resigned whits? Probably not..but to say you didn't like his play... come on.. And to say there is NO similarities in those two scenarios.. hmm... I'm done now. I'll be back on the boards when more sensible people start to comment.. Where is coastal when you need him?

My recollection from last year's trade deadline was JR said something about (almost) nobody was unavailable to trade, and there was significant interest in Joni at that time. My interpretation is that he could be in play if the right offer was made - whether now or before this year's trade deadline.

Pure business, and no hate whatsoever.

Jr says he wants to add a top four D man. Well and good. ---------then he talks about some, like Corvo, pricing

himself out of "our range". 

I don't see how than can be said with a straight face when we sit on the cap floor.  You get what you are willing

to pay for.(We got just what we were willing to pay for with Whit, right?)  Lost one of our best goal scorers  and team leader !

That is the limitation of the "super cheap" stance we are taking right now. Just my humble observation !

While I'm not sure the return of Corvo would be the best choice, keep in mind that just because he's priced himself beyond what we'd be willing to pay doesn't mean someone else is willing. Seidenberg wanted more $ and longer term than we were willing to give. He ended up being the short man out and having to take that one year deal for a smaller $ with Florida. Worked out well for him though in the end as he went to Boston at the trade deadline and he then got a nice contract extension with the $ he hoped for when he left us.

If no one bites on Corvo at his price, he might be back at a short term discount, as I'm sure he'd rather play here than say Florida or Edmonton. He's also a guy who does not like a lot of attention off the ice, so IMO this town is a good fit for him as we do not have a continual circus surrounding the players when they're in the community.

L

Im all for moving Pitkanen to get staal. I believe we will be able to keep Marc for 4-5 years at around Pitkanen salary. A 3 team trade would be ideal so that Rangers can get someone at a cheaper price.

How about a trade with Columbus as they are in need of a number one Dman. The Canes would pick up a d man that will be with the franchise for a long time as well as a young pure shutdown guy with a low salary and RFA next season. Kris Russel put up 22 points last season and is signed for 1.3 mil for the next 3 seasons. Columbus needs to move a couple of dman as they have 6 dman under contract and 2 good youngs that need to be re-signed. Rangers will get a good dman to replace Marc Staal that will have a lower salary by a million to mil and half and a lower Dman that can fill their roster as they have 4 Dman on contract right now. Rangers will still have 2 million in cap space while only needing to re-sign Girardi, Carolina only gains 1.5 mil and will only need a 3rd line center to be decently competitive, and Columbus gains about 400k in cap (still have over 11 mil in room) while gaining a top pair Dman and moving one of their young 3rd line guys.

Car

Marc Staal

Marc Methot/Kris Russell

Rangers

Tyutin/Klesa

Carolina D Spec (harrison)/pick

Colmbus

Pitkanen

Well if we are that bad this year we could be in position to draft Adam Laarson, D man from Sweden or d man David Musil from Canada.

All this talk about Staal----------doubt it will happen. Also wonder how Erik would feel about all of that.

He was happy about his youngest brother being signed. But, like he said, he used to play with him, against the

middle two brothers all the time.

How did all of this talk about Staal get started anyway---just b/c he is having contract problems with

the Rangers?

I haven't read this whole thread, been off the boards for a while.. so I won't comment on the trading/signing stuff. But I will say that I am ready for this season to get started! I hate to see Whitney leave, but you had to know with his skill set eventually someone was gonna come along and offer him some money. 2 years 6 mil is not a barn burner of a contract but I guess it was enough. Whitney said Phoenix was the first to offer him 2 years, so maybe JR was offering something in the 1 year 2-2.5 mil range. With Rod hanging them up it is certainly Staal's team now. I think that was apparent at the end of last season anyway. I think we're gonna have a good year, and from here in Winston Salem I can't wait to head down to a couple Checkers games and cheer on the rookie Canes.

October can't come fast enough!

All this talk about Staal----------doubt it will happen. Also wonder how Erik would feel about all of that.

He was happy about his youngest brother being signed. But, like he said, he used to play with him, against the

middle two brothers all the time.

How did all of this talk about Staal get started anyway---just b/c he is having contract problems with

the Rangers?

"Supposedly" there was a rumor that JR was interested in Staal, but ANY time there's a Staal rumor mentioned, The Canes are in the mix, because they have one. Or, two... I really wanna catch a couple Checkers games and see Jared play.

I agree it's not gonna happen. The Rangers wouuld be asking A LOT considering his age, and performance thus far in his young career. I haven't even heard that the Rangers are listening to offers for Staal...

Just some fuel for thought:

GP        G         A       Pts     Plus\Minus

Pitkanen   411       46      175    221     7

Staal          244       13        39      52     6

Since they haven't played an equal number of games over their NHL careers, I standardized the stats by games played.  Pitkanen produces 0.12 goals per game to Staal's 0.05, Pitkanen produces 0.43 assists per game to Staal's 0.16, Pitkanen produces 0.54 points per game to Staal's 0.21.  Should I go into time on ice?   

I realize Staal has only played 3 full seasons to Pitkanen's 6, but according to the stats, at this point in his career, Staal is no more than an average blueliner.  If we traded Pitkanen for Staal (now or at the trade deadline), there better be ALOT coming back our way.  Right now there are way better options on defense than Marc Staal.  Unless of course, you just think its cool to add another Staal on the team.  Or, you just don't like Pitkanen.

As far as trading Joni now, silly idea if you ask me. 

Marc Staal isn't known for his offensive gifts as far as I know.. His defensive game is the aspect we need on this team. But yes, giving up Pits for Staal would be too much for JR to give up.

Who says we HAVE to get of Pitkanen? JR's looking to upgrade the defense, so you'd think he'd try to do so without subtracting a substantial piece from the puzzle. If we can move Sammy out (whether in the same deal or a separate one) we'll have the salary space to make something happen. Yes we'd end up increasing salary by a couple million. I wouldn't imagine JR would see that as a bad thing considering how much the move could improve our D.

So basically we have to move Sammy somehow. Moving that salary allows JR to either go after a D-man (probably through a trade) or a forward to help us out (3rd line center or 1st line winger if we're lucky).

Marc Staal isn't known for his offensive gifts as far as I know.. His defensive game is the aspect we need on this team. But yes, giving up Pits for Staal would be too much for JR to give up.
Thank you, that's my point.  Its absurd to suggest trading away a guy with that much offensive upside for somebody who has little.  If folks want to discuss trading Pitkanen, at least suggest another puck mover who can play the big minutes.  

While I do think he lacks character, I never said I didn't like him. Besides, you have some "silly" things to say sometimse too. Like "i never really liked Whiteny's play." Do I think we should have resigned whits? Probably not..but to say you didn't like his play... come on.. And to say there is NO similarities in those two scenarios.. hmm... I'm done now. I'll be back on the boards when more sensible people start to comment.. Where is coastal when you need him?

If you're going to quote someone, do it accurately. What I said was "I don't likeWhitney as a player". I said he's a funny guy, etc, but his antics this past season were more than I would tolerate. I don't like that he so readily turns over the puck if he fears he's going to get hit. He's SUPER SOFT. I get that he's small, but so is Rosey, but Rosey doesn't duck and run from contact! I also didn't like how Whitney refused to be dealt without a multi-year deal guarantee first...which no one was willing to give him. He talked about how much he wanted to stay here, etc. Then, after the olympic break he went on vacation two months early, playing the worst hockey he's played in the past 3 years. THEN, he expects JR to give him a fat long term deal? Keep on walking!

If you want to talk about people spouting nonsense, look no further than yourself and the few of the other people here who always jump at any opportunity to slam Pitkanen and suggest trading him for a player half as good, just because you think he's a lazy skater, disinteresed in playing hockey, etc. He's the BEST DEFENSEMAN on this team. What part of that confuses you?