The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
TSA

Canes 2010 general off season talk

Whoa, Rem. That's sounding very... optimistic. I mean, seriously, is that optimism I hear?

LOL.

I think it's fair to say that we have added some serious offensive power to our blue line. Now let's hope we have some guys who can screen the goalie and put the puck in the back of the net on those juicy rebounds.

Optimism is so much more attractive than pessimism.  And Rem makes a lot of good points.  We certainly will have our weaknesses this year but it does seem like we have the potential to have a very offensive D core which could make it interesting.  Still trying hard to not have expectations though....

Still trying hard to not have expectations though....

There is a difference between expecting results and expecting the team to be competitive and give their all

Still trying hard to not have expectations though....

There is a difference between expecting results and expecting the team to be competitive and give their all

Yes there is and I was referring to the former.  I wouldn't be a STH if I didn't expect my team to give it everything they have at all times regardless of the outcome.

I say we wait and see who makes the team out of training camp before we try and figure out lines. We got a lot of guys fighting for spots, and none of them are guaranteed to play.

JR still considering Carson & Picard BUT:

"In the case of Carson and Picard, Rutherford said that the one-way deals offered to each player prior to July 1 were no longer on the table following the signing of Joe Corvo, but that he would still consider bringing them back on two-way contracts.

“We wouldn’t be looking at one-ways at this point,” he said."

Good for JR playing hard ball when someone left a one way deal on the table. I would still rather give Carson a one way deal, and offer nothing to Picard. But if both sign two way deals that will be good depth with the flexiablity to send both back an forth from Raleigh to Charlotte. If only Harrison would have taken a two way deal then we would probably have Carson signed by now.

I know it doesn't really matter, but I wonder why McBain changed his number to #4
It appears his AHL number was #2 and last year with Aaron Ward here he couldnt have #4 and because 2 and 3(unofficially) are retired. So he prolly randomly picked a number last year not caring and now his number's open? That's my guess. Alot of guessing but its my guess lol.

I'm surprised Carson turned down a 1 way deal? If I was in his shoes I'd crap my pants at my first one way deal.

Early on Canes offered Carson, Picard, & Harrison all one way contracts probably at the league minuimum because they were one way. Only Harrison jump on the offer. Carson & Picard both wanted a QO since both had arbitration rights. JR said no to the QO because he didn't want I judge telling him what to pay them.

Now they are both UFA with the Canes now only offering two way deals. I think Carson might be able to find a one way deal, but Picard will probably have to settle for a two way deal. It sucks because out of all three I only think Carson is worth a one way deal.

I fret a lot about our third line center and the loss of Cullen. Many fret about our defense. But check this out.

If our top 4 defenseman live up to their potential (not career years, just high average), we will have the highest scoring defense in the league.

What? Well Corvo and Pitkanen's potential is well established. Babchuk's is a decent guess. McBain is the wild card and projecting last year out is probably unrealistic, but fun anyway.

If we project Corvo and Pitkanen to high average years and 82 games we get a fairly reasonable prediction of:

Corvo: 10G/25A: This would have been #18 in the league G/#59 Asst : out of 180 top 6 defense spots.

Pits: 7G/40A This would have been #36 in the leauge G/#8 Asst : out of 180

These are very reasonable projections. They could both do better.

Babchuk is more difficult. He had the one insane stretch where he was scoring at will and a year where he didn't score much. But if we apply his Russian numbers and scale back the 15 Goal year (he did not play a full season though), we get a guess for Babs of:

Babs: 13G/20A #8 (#4 if he hit 15) goals/ #59 assist. 

(BTW if we project his 15G year over a full season Babs would have 18 G also #2 last year)

Now it gets kind of crazy. McBain is the great unknown. This kid has the potential to be off the hook.

If we project his numbers from his few games last year over a full season, it gets giddy.

McBain: 18 goals/41 assists. HUH? Probably not, but the math is correct.

If he had done that last year he would have been #2 in the league in goals and #3 in points. Woa.

So, if Babs and McBain reach their full projections we would have the #2 and #3 offensive defenseman before counting Pits and Corvo.

If we project our top 4 out with McBain as Mr Universe we get a top 4 with 48 goals. No team was even close to that last year. Best I can tell the next closest was the LA Kings with 32 Goals, and Nashville with 31 (again, this is from their top 4 guys, not the whole defense).

But here's the thing. Even if we dial McBain back to half of that production we have 39G vs 32G for the Kings.

In terms of assists our guys would rank as follows.

Babs: #59/180:

Corvo: #44/180

Pits: #8

McBain #7

In terms of points, our guys would average out as 4 #17's out of 180. Averaging 43 points each.

OK, first, I realize that we also have to play defense. But Corvo and Pitkanen and McBain can play defense, and then there's Gleason (who, by the way has shown spots of increasing offense himself, just imagine if he scored a few more points).

Second, McBain may not end up being the #3 most productive defenseman in the league and 14 games is not much of an "n". Then again, he will be more NHL ready this year.

All I'm saying is that amidst the uncertainty, it is not crazy to say that we could have the best offense from the blue line in the entire league.

If Cam is on, and our kid forwards develop, and our d plays at least average in our own end, that could allow us to sneak up on a few people.

Not to mention Gleason's 50+ goals that are coming this season... he's going to out score Ovechkin.  It could happen...

I know it doesn't really matter, but I wonder why McBain changed his number to #4

To prevent any thought of A Ward returning for a threepeat.

Sorry your number is no longer available....

[quote name='Faceoff-ch1 wrote:

jeromeo87']I know it doesn't really matter, but I wonder why McBain changed his number to #4

A. Ward would just take 44 then. :P

[quote name='Blinding wrote:

Faceoff-ch1 wrote:

jeromeo87']I know it doesn't really matter, but I wonder why McBain changed his number to #4

A. Ward would just take 44 then. :P

I am fairly sure enough Canes fans are ticked at his lack of giving a ..... last season to be able to form a human wall from allowing him into the RBC Center should he ever come back.

[quote name='legend-1 wrote:

Blinding wrote:

Faceoff-ch1']

A. Ward would just take 44 then.
:P

I am fairly sure enough Canes fans are ticked at his lack of giving a ..... last season to be able to form a human wall from allowing him into the RBC Center should he ever come back.

Despite some downgrades this year (third line center), replacing A. Ward of last year with, well, anyone, is an upgrade. At least Babchuk will bring some offense.

Another 2-way signing today coming per Mike Sundheim....hmm, Carson or Picard?

Brett Carson has agreed to a 1-year, 2-way deal ($500,000 NHL/$105,000 AHL):

If he doesn't make the Canes line up, he lost $395,000 by not taking that 1 way when it was offered.

[quote name=Faceoff-ch1]Brett Carson has agreed to a 1-year, 2-way deal ($500,000 NHL/$105,000 AHL):

If he doesn't make the Canes line up, he lost $395,000 by not taking that 1 way when it was offered.

Tough call for him but I'm glad he's signed.  Our defense is shaping up slowly and there should be good competition at camp this year.

Too bad Carson is on a two way deal, & Harrison is on a one way. Wished it was the other way around.

With that being said I really like this signing. Nice young stay at home defenseman with plenty of upside.

Oh and I love that Nash signed!!!  There will be great competition for spots on the roster amongst all the young guns.

Thank god Carson is back! There is the young stay at home guy we needed. Harrison will make the team as the 6th/7th guy but I believe it will be between Rodney, Carson and Sanguinetti for the actual 6th spot and I believe Carson will get it.

Gleason-Corvo

Pits-Babchuk

Mcbain-Carson

Harrison

I believe that will be our d-corps going into the year, and im very content with that.

Although I continue to hope for one more veteran forward (even if it is a switch out of Cole or Sammy), I have a feeling that we are mostly set now.

If JR can move Sammy (or more unlikely Cole) and pick up a "value" forward he might, but it seems less likely now.

This team will definitely be young, especially if Nash and or Skinner make the team. I wonder if anyone can figure out where we will rank on the age o meter if Nash is our third line center, and Samson is on the 4th line.

Lots of "ifs" out there, but also lots and lots of potential if most of the "ifs" work out.