The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
TSA

Canes 2010 general off season talk

Too bad Carson is on a two way deal, & Harrison is on a one way. Wished it was the other way around.

With that being said I really like this signing. Nice young stay at home defenseman with plenty of upside.

Oh and I love that Nash signed!!!  There will be great competition for spots on the roster amongst all the young guns.

Doesn't really matter what contracts Harrison and Carson have. Both will be with the big boys. Carson is better than Harrison, so he'll take the 6th spot and Harrison goes where he belongs, to the pressbox. Harrison is your perfect 7th defensemen. He's cheap and you can sit him in the pressbox without hurting his development. And you can dress him for those Western Conference teams, when you need a little toughness and need to send someone to fight. He won't win a fight, but better him fighting than Timmy.  

A good signing.  I'm not as down on Harrison as the rest of you appear to be but I really like Carson. I think our defense is now done.

Still think we will have one more move for our forward lines but if not I think we will be alright. Looking forward to the season.

Welcome superleaf. I seriously don't think there is anyone.. MAYBE Colton Orr to beef up our 4th line.. But thats about it.. I wouldn't have hated the Canes going after Versteeg, but I think we need some bigger bodies on the ice. Thanks for coming by!

I still think there could be another shoe to drop. I just don't think Sammy fits on this team right now. It doesn't make sense to have him on the 4th line. I'm frankly surprised we didn't buy him out.

But... if there was any interest in him, I would think it's being delayed based on the scoring wingers still available in free agency. Afinogenov, Frolov and Stempniak are all still available, and if someone didn't think they could afford them at $4m or $5m per year, it's becoming apparent that the asking price will have to come down.

Once those guys are off the books, it will be interesting to see who might have an interest... especially teams that might need to reach the cap floor.

I doubt we'd be asking for much in return. 3rd round pick maybe... maybe even a 4th rounder. I think I'd like to see a nice, young, big body on the 4th line opposite K-Stop. Maybe that's Bowman or Samson, but I guess I anticipated those guys being more the scoring "Cole-like" players.

We could put a for free sign on Sammy and I doubt anyone would take him. He doesn't have his scoring touch anymore and without that he brings almost nothing to the table. He's got to prove something before he can be worth something and he needs to do it for himself not on contract years or after being waived. 

hi i am personally a leafs fan but love talking hockey no matter what and i am just wondering if you guys are interested in any leafs players via trade?
Sure...we'd take Tyler Seg.....ooops, sorry.  In all honesty, I'd say no unless it were a depth position (4th line C).  Even then, I think the Canes are set for the immediate future with JR and ownership wanting to see the young players battle it out for the open spots.  The only player I can see being moved would be Samsinov and I do not think he really fits with where the Leafs are going in terms of team style. 

I wonder if Osala or somebody else can be converted to center the fourth line? 

Osala used to play center as younger. He has also played D. But I guess if you asked him, he would like to go on playing LW as powerforward.

One thing that I don't understand why a winger who plays with left hand grip always has to play as LW. Who has said that is a rule? Or is it?

[quote name='Finnjavel wrote:

Stanley-C']

I wonder if Osala or somebody else can be converted to center the fourth line? 

Osala used to play center as younger. He has also played D. But I guess if you asked him, he would like to go on playing LW as powerforward.

One thing that I don't understand why a winger who plays with left hand grip always has to play as LW. Who has said that is a rule? Or is it?
I was watching an old Canes game on NHL network today and they mentioned that.  Ray Whitney is a right hand shot who plays Left wing and they were wondering why it was so rare.  The reasons they gave were because it is easier to get a puck off of the boards on  your forehand when its coming around the net and that there are more left handers playing anyway so most righties get stuck on the right.  It does give you a lot more shooting angles if you play on the  opposite side though.  I guess theres positives and negatives with both.

Although I continue to hope for one more veteran forward (even if it is a switch out of Cole or Sammy), I have a feeling that we are mostly set now.

If JR can move Sammy (or more unlikely Cole) and pick up a "value" forward he might, but it seems less likely now.

This team will definitely be young, especially if Nash and or Skinner make the team. I wonder if anyone can figure out where we will rank on the age o meter if Nash is our third line center, and Samson is on the 4th line.

Lots of "ifs" out there, but also lots and lots of potential if most of the "ifs" work out.

I'm pretty sure a veteran 3rd line center (like a Halpern or Metropolit) will be signed well before mid August.

Expecting Nash to make that tough jump from college hockey to the NHL is unrealistic and Skinner will likely

only get a ten-game audition before he's returned to junior.  JR will likely get a solid 3rd liner at or near the

minimum.  But the important thing now is to bring the young talent along at the correct speed.  Some of these

guys had a tough first season in the AHL.  Keeping that in mind, I think the lines will look something like this:

2010-2011

Jokinen........Staal.......Ruutu

Tlusty..........Sutter......Cole

Boychuk.....(TBD).....LaRose

Samsonov...Dwyer....Kostopoulos

Samson (extra)

It's a bit of a 1-line team with questionable production from the 2nd line (until Tlusty and Boychuk flip-flop, imo).

But the 3rd line can be decent if the coaching staff stresses defensive accountability.  The 4th line should be OK.

Things get changed up after that - for the better - and nobody has to be rushed into anything they can't handle.

2011-2012

Boychuk........Staal.........Ruutu

Jokinen..........Skinner.....Dalpe

Bowman........Sutter.......Osala

Tlusty.............Nash........Kostopoulos

Dwyer and Dodge (extras)

It may take awhile for these guys to jell, but when they do it'll be a nice mix of size, speed, and scoring potential.

Anyway, barring a couple of minor trades to tweak the lines, that's the way I'd do it.

[quote name='davidrabbit wrote:

remkin']Although I continue to hope for one more veteran forward (even if it is a switch out of Cole or Sammy), I have a feeling that we are mostly set now.

If JR can move Sammy (or more unlikely Cole) and pick up a "value" forward he might, but it seems less likely now.

This team will definitely be young, especially if Nash and or Skinner make the team. I wonder if anyone can figure out where we will rank on the age o meter if Nash is our third line center, and Samson is on the 4th line.

Lots of "ifs" out there, but also lots and lots of potential if most of the "ifs" work out.

I'm pretty sure a veteran 3rd line center (like a Halpern or Metropolit) will be signed well before mid August.

Expecting Nash to make that tough jump from college hockey to the NHL is unrealistic and Skinner will likely

only get a ten-game audition before he's returned to junior.  JR will likely get a solid 3rd liner at or near the

minimum.  But the important thing now is to bring the young talent along at the correct speed.  Some of these

guys had a tough first season in the AHL.  Keeping that in mind, I think the lines will look something like this:

2010-2011

Jokinen........Staal.......Ruutu

Tlusty..........Sutter......Cole

Boychuk.....(TBD).....LaRose

Samsonov...Dwyer....Kostopoulos

Samson (extra)

It's a bit of a 1-line team with questionable production from the 2nd line (until Tlusty and Boychuk flip-flop, imo).

But the 3rd line can be decent if the coaching staff stresses defensive accountability.  The 4th line should be OK.

Things get changed up after that - for the better - and nobody has to be rushed into anything they can't handle.

2011-2012

Boychuk........Staal.........Ruutu

Jokinen..........Skinner.....Dalpe

Bowman........Sutter.......Osala

Tlusty.............Nash........Kostopoulos

Dwyer and Dodge (extras)

It may take awhile for these guys to jell, but when they do it'll be a nice mix of size, speed, and scoring potential.

Anyway, barring a couple of minor trades to tweak the lines, that's the way I'd do it.

While I would love it if we picked up a decent third line center, I'm not too excited about either Halpern or Metropolit, both mid thirties. I think JR is sniffing around another veteran forward and maybe shopping Cole/Sammy, but I am pessimistic that anything will happen. I think that they are going to go into it with 4+ guys vying for the job: Dalpe, Skinner, Nash, Matsumoto. If any of them looks decent, they'll get the nod.

If not, it'll probably go to Dwyer. I have this feeling about Nash.

I still wonder about picking up a guy with one year left on his contract, but I'm not sure how doable that is. We need a third line center, but realistically only need him for one year.

2010 team looks about right though, maybe not the exact lines.

2011 team is very interesting. If all of our forward prospects pan out, or even most of them, we may have too many good forwards. Nice problem to have.

Man is it dull right now. I need some hockey!

NHL Network, if you have it, will be replaying some Canes-Devils 2009 playoff games in the upcoming week. I believe I saw game 3, 5, and 7 on my DVR list.

NHL Network, if you have it, will be replaying some Canes-Devils 2009 playoff games in the upcoming week. I believe I saw game 3, 5, and 7 on my DVR list.. I think I do still have NHL network.

That would be good. I do have NHL network. I know we won game 7, can't remember which other 3 we won. Thanks!

I don't see why folks are so quick to pencil in Boychuk in the lineup.  He got run over in the NHL games he played last year and wasn't even a point-a-game guy with the Rats last year.  Sometimes guys just don't work out or take longer to get there.  You don't stick a guy in the lineup j.ust because he was a 14th overall pick.

I don't see why folks are so quick to pencil in Boychuk in the lineup.  He got run over in the NHL games he played last year and wasn't even a point-a-game guy with the Rats last year.  Sometimes guys just don't work out or take longer to get there.  You don't stick a guy in the lineup j.ust because he was a 14th overall pick.

I'm with you on this one. Boychuk was fast and I think he helped create some scoring opportunities last year by getting to pucks or pressuring the guy with the puck for a turnover, but he really didn't jump out and score a heck of a lot.

I am still very concerned about our ability to score. The more I think about it, the more I agree with Remkin that having Babs and Corvo on the blue line (and potentially seeing McBain keep the scoring touch) are going to be crucial factors for us this season.

We have way too many question marks with our forwards. And that's not just the new guys, like Boychuk, but also the vets. Really, Staal is the only consistent scorer we have. Jokinen's 30 last year could have been a fluke; Ruutu hasn't been able to string together two healthy, high scoring seasons in a row; Cole and Sammy will need to rebound from disappointing seasons; LaRose had that one "breakout" season and then deflated last year; and Sutter really only has the one season under his belt.

I think training camp is going to reveal exactly who gets the nod here. I will tell you this: I am surprised that we signed Tlusty to a one-way deal and have him pencilled in. Like Boychuk, I just didn't see that he had been the cream rising to the top among all of the other young guys. I also think that if you pencil in Boychuk and he doesn't perform, then you move him down and bring up one of the other guys from Charlotte for a few games. I fully suspect that under-performance means revolving door. We could see 3 or 4 guys playing on the 3rd line wing this year, even without injuries. I also think we could see 2 or 3 3rd line centers... even if Nash wins the job out of training camp, if/when he struggles, someone like Dalpe or Matsumoto is going to get a shot to join the big club and play a few games.

Consistency will be our big issue this year. Of course, last year we consistently sucked at the beginning of the year and turned that around late. Let's hope it's a little more even experience... and comes out with better results.

I hear you. That's why this all youth, super cheap thing is risky. We don't have any proven prospects since Sutter is really not a prospect anymore (though even he will need to prove he's really a 20 goal guy).

Tlusty and Boychuk had 1 goal each, for 2 goals in 51 games between them. These are arguably our top prospects. This is why I have been arguing for some kind of proven offensive forward from somewhere. 

It does seem that prospects can get a few NHL games under their belt one year, go work on things off season, and come back strong (Sutter), but what if they don't? 

Hopefully a couple of these guys are ready to produce. If not, it will be a long year.

[quote name='remkin wrote:

coastal_caniac']

I hear you. That's why this all youth, super cheap thing is risky. We don't have any proven prospects since Sutter is really not a prospect anymore (though even he will need to prove he's really a 20 goal guy).

Tlusty and Boychuk had 1 goal each, for 2 goals in 51 games between them. These are arguably our top prospects. This is why I have been arguing for some kind of proven offensive forward from somewhere. 

It does seem that prospects can get a few NHL games under their belt one year, go work on things off season, and come back strong (Sutter), but what if they don't? 

Hopefully a couple of these guys are ready to produce. If not, it will be a long year.

The unknown is far greater this year than the known. I hope we are not in for a long year but we could be. I think Tlusty and Boychuk have been given this season to prove they can hack it at the NHL level. If we are going to be competitive both will have to improve. I think in a rebuilding year we will be patient but only to a point. Like REM I'm still holding out for one more move before the start of the season.

As you know, Remkin, I have agreed with you this whole off season about the risk of going super-cheap. Since we

lost a proven scorer (Whit) because of it and are totally untested at third line center, the season will be challenging

to say the least.

In my mind I have decided to focus on watching the young ones develop-------with no expectations. I listened to

an interview of Ruutu this summer, who said "on paper we are not stars, but chemistry can go a long way".  Here's hoping

for some good chemistry and a lot of youthful enthusiasm.

I hope they will surprise me !

GO CANES !!

As you know, Remkin, I have agreed with you this whole off season about the risk of going super-cheap. Since we

lost a proven scorer (Whit) because of it and are totally untested at third line center, the season will be challenging

to say the least.

In my mind I have decided to focus on watching the young ones develop-------with no expectations. I listened to

an interview of Ruutu this summer, who said "on paper we are not stars, but chemistry can go a long way".  Here's hoping

for some good chemistry and a lot of youthful enthusiasm.

I hope they will surprise me !

GO CANES !!

While I am still hoping for a JR steal, I am starting to think that we probably will not get a proven scorer up front. Thus, as I grew to accept the futility of last year, and then the converse futility of not getting the top draft pick, I am growing to work at finding optimism for this year based on the unproven and even the unexpected coming though for us.

Thus, Cole finds his game. Maybe not at the pre-neck injury level, but enough to be a solid contributor. Sammy, playing for a contract, returns to some semblance of the good Sammy.

Jokinen and Sutter prove that last year was not a fluke. LaRose proves that it was a fluke (the first 2/3 anyway).

Some combination of Boychuk, Tlusty, Bowman, Dalpe (at least 2 of them) rise up and start to realize their potential as top 9 NHL wingers.

One of Nash, Dalpe, Matsumoto, Dwyer, or Skinner are effective at the NHL level at third line center.

Our defense finds some cohesion and realizes even some of it's huge offensive potential.

Ward's back is ok.

Over the years we have lost Williams, Stillmann, Whitney, Brind'Amour (of old and recent), Cole (of old), Cullen, to name a few, all producers. We are going to need at least two of the kids to seriously produce this year, and at least one more to be decent, or else. This does not even take into account what would be needed if Cole/Sammy fail, or the inevitable injuries to our few core veterans. The thing is, add one more decent NHL forward and there is some insurance. At this point, though it appears it will be live or die with at least 3 prospects in the top 9, and at times 4.

One positive note. I have seen some promise in Boychuk, Tlusty and Bowman. They all have skill. I really do think LaRose was fighting injury and a bit snake bitten early last year and will return to near 20 goals. I think Sutter is for real. I have an irrationally good sense about Nash. I think Jussi, while maybe not a 30 goal guy is a solid 20 goal guy, and will win a couple of games for us in the shoot out. Skinner might surprise. We have a bunch of prospects each with the potential to surprise us this year. We could have the highest scoring defense in the league. If Cam's back is good, he has shown the potential to be an elite goalie. We will have tons of cap space for JR to make a move later if we contend. While Cole and Sammy have been very disappointing, they do have upside, and they only need to find some of their old games to be at least a bit effective. Both have a lot to prove. I think if even one of them comes back to us, it will be huge.

We have a lot of potential skill in our prospects. Lots of guys will get looks. We need at least 3 to come through.

If it all comes together and the chemistry is good we may come out of nowhere and surprise enough teams to hang around the playoff picture. We need to find at least 7-8 points in our first 11 games (which are insanely brutal). If we can do that, anything could happen.

While Cole and Sammy have been very disappointing, they do have upside, and they only need to find some of their old games to be at least a bit effective. Both have a lot to prove. I think if even one of them comes back to us, it will be huge.

With Samsonov, I think a lot will depend on his playing time, his linemates, and his confidence level.

If he picks up where he left off last season before he was put on the fourth line, he could have a record year.

While he got off to a slow start last season (like the team as a whole), his production level improved considerably later in the season. Over his last 25-30 games prior to being put on the fourth line, he was consistently scoring at around .40 gpg - good enough for a 33 goal season (playing all 82 games, of course), which would break his career high of 29 goals.

Expecting that consistency through an entire season may be unrealistic, but I don't think anyone will benefit more from the roster changes since last season more than Samsonov - if he is not relegated to the fourth line. So a good season from Sammy doesn't seem as far-fetched to me as some seem to believe.

remkin you have a lot of ifs in that scenario. I'm right there with you and hope for a decent season and lots of fun watching this team. Maybe I have my Cane colored glasses on. The real test will come when someone doesn't live up to expectations and is replaced by another Canes hopeful.

If nothing else is true about this franchise, we have a tendency to sneak up on the league.  Personally, I think the team will hang around.  I certainly think there will be some rough stretches, but if there's one thing you can say about the Carolina Hurricanes, they never-ever give up on themselves.  For the first time in maybe the NC history of the franchise, our system is stacked.  And they are right next door.  Lot and lots of things to look forward too.  Keep the faith.