The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
TSA

Canes 2010 general off season talk

If nothing else is true about this franchise, we have a tendency to sneak up on the league.  Personally, I think the team will hang around.  I certainly think there will be some rough stretches, but if there's one thing you can say about the Carolina Hurricanes, they never-ever give up on themselves.  For the first time in maybe the NC history of the franchise, our system is stacked.  And they are right next door.  Lot and lots of things to look forward too.  Keep the faith.

You are right, I think. Many teams in the league will underestimate us----and we wear the underdog role better better

than when expectations are high. (ie. last season and the year following the cup)  Versus our 09 run , after nobody thought

we would make the playoffs!  

But we will be challenged early b/c the first ten games look deadly. ( I have a hard time seeing 1-2 wins.)

I think we will see many rookies go in and out----kind of like an extended training camp & pre-season

leading all the way up to the ASG.

With so many "ifs" (see Remkin above) I just have to keep telling myself "I have no

expectations of you guys---am a diehard fan---surprise me ! "      rolleyes.gif 

I don't see why folks are so quick to pencil in Boychuk in the lineup.  He got run over in the NHL games he played last year and wasn't even a point-a-game guy with the Rats last year.  Sometimes guys just don't work out or take longer to get there.  You don't stick a guy in the lineup j.ust because he was a 14th overall pick.

I'm more concerned some of Boychuk's linemates will get run over than whether or not he can handle the rough stuff.

I projected him to start on the 3rd line based on his 31-game audition last season - far more than any other prospect.

Also, I put him on the wing so he has less defensive responsibility.  Getting a 1-year vet fill-in at 3rd line center gives

all of the prospects more time to develop.

At some point you have to give guys an opportunity to show what they can do.  There are other prospects.  Some will

make it.  Some won't.  All of them will get a chance to prove themselves at some point too.  But based on talent and

experience, yes, I'd give Boychuk first dibs at a top-9 slot.

That's why this all youth, super cheap thing is risky. We don't have any proven prospects since

Sutter is really not a prospect anymore (though even he will need to prove he's really a 20 goal guy).

Tlusty and Boychuk had 1 goal each, for
2 goals in 51 games
between them. These are arguably

our top prospects. This is why I have been arguing for some kind of proven offensive forward from

somewhere. 

Well, don't make it worse than it is.  Boychuk had 3 goals and 6 assists in 31 games.  While his stats

weren't all that great,  it certainly isn't anything to worry about since it occurred in such a limited role.

[quote name='UNCCaniac8 wrote:

coastal_caniac']

If nothing else is true about this franchise, we have a tendency to sneak up on the league.  Personally, I think the team will hang around.  I certainly think there will be some rough stretches, but if there's one thing you can say about the Carolina Hurricanes, they never-ever give up on themselves.  For the first time in maybe the NC history of the franchise, our system is stacked.  And they are right next door.  Lot and lots of things to look forward too.  Keep the faith.

You are right, I think. Many teams in the league will underestimate us----and we wear the underdog role better better

than when expectations are high. (ie. last season and the year following the cup)  Versus our 09 run , after nobody thought

we would make the playoffs!  

But we will be challenged early b/c the first ten games look deadly. ( I have a hard time seeing 1-2 wins.)

I think we will see many rookies go in and out----kind of like an extended training camp & pre-season

leading all the way up to the ASG.

With so many "ifs" (see Remkin above) I just have to keep telling myself "I have no

expectations of you guys---am a diehard fan---surprise me ! "      rolleyes.gif 

I'm hoping that the road trip will be a long term benefit for the boys and give them a chance to gell.  It's a brutal stretch of games and if we come out of it with a bruised but determined psyche I think we'll have a decent year.  This will surely be an early test for Staal and the A's leadership. 

Kinda interesting how JR can stack a prospect system in one offseason. Taking Caniacs off the ledge quickly. Usually takes a team 2-3 seasons to stack a youth team in order to get things rolling again.

Interesting Tweet from Chip today about Jeff Skinner working out with Gary Roberts this summer.  Could make training camp more interesting if he shows up in beast form.

Guys let's be realistic here.  We no longer have Whitney and Cullen.  Our scoring is going to be horrible.  Are you honestly expecting a rookie to bust out a 20 goal 60 point season to fill Whitney's void?  It's just not going to happen.  The only player that may be able to provide some scoring is jerome but that is it.  We are going to be at the bottom of the league guys unless we pick up a scoring forward.  We all know we can't rely on Ward to win 2-1 every night especially with how many offensive dmen we have.  2 goals is all this team is going to score on a nightly basis.  I am a die hard Canes fan but be prepared for a very long and painful season unless we sign someone to pick up where Whitney left off.  I also don't expect Juicy to have a season like he did last year.  Sammy, and Cole are probably not going to find their scoring touch and we need them to.

I would hope that having a fairly young team will have a "us vs world" mentality.  Perhaps Mo can instill the attitude Herb Brooks did in the 80 Olympic team.  For every game it's "tonight you skate"

Guys let's be realistic here.  We no longer have Whitney and Cullen.  Our scoring is going to be horrible.  Are you honestly expecting a rookie to bust out a 20 goal 60 point season to fill Whitney's void?  It's just not going to happen.  The only player that may be able to provide some scoring is jerome but that is it.  We are going to be at the bottom of the league guys unless we pick up a scoring forward.  We all know we can't rely on Ward to win 2-1 every night especially with how many offensive dmen we have.  2 goals is all this team is going to score on a nightly basis.  I am a die hard Canes fan but be prepared for a very long and painful season unless we sign someone to pick up where Whitney left off.  I also don't expect Juicy to have a season like he did last year.  Sammy, and Cole are probably not going to find their scoring touch and we need them to.
You could look at it that way, or you could look at this team and say "we have a young and fast team, win or lose, they should provide some exciting hockey." Of course this team isn't going to win every game, but I also don't expect them to be blown out every game either. And we need not forget that this team isn't going to be filled with rookies. We still have some very experienced players on this team: Staal, Ward, Corvo, Pitkanen, Ruutu, Gleason, Cole, to name a few. 

I don't know about the rest of you, but if we are going to lose and be at the bottom I'd rather do it with this line up who are putting forth the effort and hustling every night. Over the line up we had last year. Let's remember, its was those vets who had that 14 game losing streak, not the kids. The kids gave us great games going down the stretch, win or lose, its going to be fun watching these kids take that next step.  

[quote name='caniac247 wrote:

bluedevil58']Guys let's be realistic here.  We no longer have Whitney and Cullen.  Our scoring is going to be horrible.  Are you honestly expecting a rookie to bust out a 20 goal 60 point season to fill Whitney's void?  It's just not going to happen.  The only player that may be able to provide some scoring is jerome but that is it.  We are going to be at the bottom of the league guys unless we pick up a scoring forward.  We all know we can't rely on Ward to win 2-1 every night especially with how many offensive dmen we have.  2 goals is all this team is going to score on a nightly basis.  I am a die hard Canes fan but be prepared for a very long and painful season unless we sign someone to pick up where Whitney left off.  I also don't expect Juicy to have a season like he did last year.  Sammy, and Cole are probably not going to find their scoring touch and we need them to.

You could look at it that way, or you could look at this team and say "we have a young and fast team, win or lose, they should provide some exciting hockey." Of course this team isn't going to win every game, but I also don't expect them to be blown out every game either. And we need not forget that this team isn't going to be filled with rookies. We still have some very experienced players on this team: Staal, Ward, Corvo, Pitkanen, Ruutu, Gleason, Cole, to name a few. 

I don't know about the rest of you, but if we are going to lose and be at the bottom I'd rather do it with this line up who are putting forth the effort and hustling every night. Over the line up we had last year. Let's remember, its was those vets who had that 14 game losing streak, not the kids. The kids gave us great games going down the stretch, win or lose, its going to be fun watching these kids take that next step.  My thoughts exactly Caniac247. First off there are no good scoring forwards left out there!  I would much rather watch this younger team than the older team we saw at the beginning last year. Canes are doing the right thing by going younger!

I think the Canes' Young Guns will battle hard all year for a playoff spot, and come up just short of the playoffs. But if they do get in then watch out!

I could see us getting even younger next year with Cole, Sammy, and a few other UFA not getting a new contract.

I would much rather see a  younger team at least the expectations won't be as high as they were this past season and the two seasons after winning the cup with the core guys. 

Talk about speaking in generalities...."our scoring is going to be horrible"....."we are going to be at the bottom of the league unless we pick up a scoring forward"...."2 goals is all this team is going to score on a nightly basis"....."Juicy won't have a season like he did last year"......"Sammy and Cole won't find their scoring touch"....blah2.gif blah2.gif blah2.gifblah2.gifblah2.gif

Might as well call this post "The sky will fall in the RBC" by Chicken Little.  Geez.  

chickenlittlehead2wallp.jpg

[quote name='caniac247 wrote:

bluedevil58']Guys let's be realistic here.  We no longer have Whitney and Cullen.  Our scoring is going to be horrible.  Are you honestly expecting a rookie to bust out a 20 goal 60 point season to fill Whitney's void?  It's just not going to happen.  The only player that may be able to provide some scoring is jerome but that is it.  We are going to be at the bottom of the league guys unless we pick up a scoring forward.  We all know we can't rely on Ward to win 2-1 every night especially with how many offensive dmen we have.  2 goals is all this team is going to score on a nightly basis.  I am a die hard Canes fan but be prepared for a very long and painful season unless we sign someone to pick up where Whitney left off.  I also don't expect Juicy to have a season like he did last year.  Sammy, and Cole are probably not going to find their scoring touch and we need them to.

I don't know about the rest of you, but if we are going to lose and be at the bottom I'd rather do it with this line up who are putting forth the effort and hustling every night. Over the line up we had last year. Let's remember, its was those vets who had that 14 game losing streak, not the kids. The kids gave us great games going down the stretch, win or lose, its going to be fun watching these kids take that next step.  Also the last couple of years, the team started firing on all cylinders when they had to replace injured/traded veterans with Rats.  JR and Mo are just starting that a couple of months early this time.

[quote name='rocheccw wrote:

caniac247 wrote:

I don't know about the rest of you, but if we are going to lose and be at the bottom I'd rather do it with this line up who are putting forth the effort and hustling every night. Over the line up we had last year. Let's remember, its was those vets who had that 14 game losing streak, not the kids. The kids gave us great games going down the stretch, win or lose, its going to be fun watching these kids take that next step.  
My thoughts exactly Caniac247. First off there are no good scoring forwards left out there!  I would much rather watch this younger team than the older team we saw at the beginning last year. Canes are doing the right thing by going younger!

I think the Canes' Young Guns will battle hard all year for a playoff spot, and come up just short of the playoffs. But if they do get in then watch out!

I could see us getting even younger next year with Cole, Sammy, and a few other UFA not getting a new contract.

I still think that if we could get Lee Stempniak for around $3m per season that we should jump on it. But that's assuming we could dump either Cole or Sammy.

Oh well.

I'm definitely on the "this looks like a more exciting train... even if it could fall off the tracks" mentality.

Well Frolov went for 3 mil to the Rangers. You'd have to figure Stempniak would be available at or below that number. But as you say, without moving Sammy or Cole, it doesn't matter how cheap they would be

When you can make an argument for your case with anything other than broad generalizations you might get my attention.  Until then, you are on my ignore list.   grin.gif

Sorry I am not trying to push any buttons here.  I just think we should be concerned about our scoring though.  I agree this is going to be a fast team.  Last season was just such a let down.  I thought on paper we were a stanley cup caliber team.  I guess this year like others have mentioned on paper we are not a stanley cup caliber team and probably not even a playoff caliber team.  The question is who is going to be our 3rd or 4th line center?  Dalpe or Nash, or the guy that came from the rangers I can't spell his name.  I would really like to see Dwyer be a healthy scratch because I would rather someone who has potential take up the 3rd and 4th line center positions.  Thoughts?

Concern is cool but your post screamed of outright panic.  Im gonna wait till these kids duke it out at camp fighting for a roster spot before throwing them under the bus for the season.  There's a few different options for that 3rd line position, why not wait and see who emerges as the one who earned the spot before panicking?   Last year did suck early on and was full of disappointment but the second half was some fun and exciting hockey with all the kids.  Youth had to happen buddy, enjoy the ride and see how the chips fall and which kid develops into our next core player.

The question is who is going to be our 3rd or 4th line center?  Dalpe or Nash, or the guy that came from the rangers I can't spell his name.
The one you're referring to is Sanguinetti and he's a defenseman. I would hope he wouldn't fill a 3rd/4th line center position smile.gif

[quote name='Stealth-ch1 wrote:

bluedevil58']The question is who is going to be our 3rd or 4th line center?  Dalpe or Nash,
or the guy that came from the rangers I can't spell his name.

The one you're referring to is Sanguinetti and he's a defenseman. I would hope he wouldn't fill a 3rd/4th line center position smile.gif

Wonder if he meant Matsumoto?  That guy might be fighting for the 3rd line spot and I probly didnt spell it right LOL

[quote name='fkelly wrote:

Stealth-ch1 wrote:

bluedevil58']The question is who is going to be our 3rd or 4th line center?  Dalpe or Nash,
or the guy that came from the rangers I can't spell his name.

The one you're referring to is Sanguinetti and he's a defenseman. I would hope he wouldn't fill a 3rd/4th line center position
smile.gif

Wonder if he meant Matsumoto?  That guy might be fighting for the 3rd line spot and I probly didnt spell it right LOL

Hadn't thought of that, but it would make sense. He came from Philly, but that's close enough considering how many moves were made at that time. And it looks like you spelled it right wink.gif

Concern is cool but your post screamed of outright panic.  Im gonna wait till these kids duke it out at camp fighting for a roster spot before throwing them under the bus for the season.  There's a few different options for that 3rd line position, why not wait and see who emerges as the one who earned the spot before panicking?   Last year did suck early on and was full of disappointment but the second half was some fun and exciting hockey with all the kids.  Youth had to happen buddy, enjoy the ride and see how the chips fall and which kid develops into our next core player.

My hope is that we look a lot like the 2006-07 Leafs team coached by Mo'  which was a pretty young team (Stajan (22), Steen (22), Antropov (26), Ponikavarsky (26), Kaberle (28)) that was able to put together a 91 point season and just miss the playoffs.  Of course they had Sundin and some other players but in general this was a young team with low expectations and Mo did a pretty darn good job of coaching them up.  91 points was good for the 6 seed last year in the playoffs.