The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
TSA

Canes 2010 general off season talk

I don't know enough to rank 6-10 but I find it odd that of those of you who do that Borer or Carson aren't listed. I understand that there are many

questions to be answered with Borer after his injury. Have we given up on Carson as a top prospect?

I don't know enough to rank 6-10 but I find it odd that of those of you who do that Borer or Carson aren't listed. I understand that there are many

questions to be answered with Borer after his injury. Have we given up on Carson as a top prospect?

Don't know about others but I don't consider Carson a prospect anymore.  He was offered a one-way, went UFA and got resigned.  As far as Borer, I've got Dumoulin rated above him.  But neither make my top-10.

I'm not going to say theres ever a good time for a neck injury, but right on the cusp of Borer making the jump and he breaks his neck. That timing could have ruined his NHL career. I really think people silently root for him but alot of us just don't think he's going to make it back. With all the additions this offseason he's fallen way, way back on the depth chart.

Allow me to interrupt this prospect discussion for a minute to post this picture and link to an article written by Bob Wage from Canes Country for Puck Daddy.com.  Its worth a look:

Mount-Puckmore-The-four-faces-of-the-Carolina-Hurricanes

ept_sports_nhl_experts-290232542-1281014324.jpg?ym04EkDDCa.wpI0c

Carry on with the prospect talk smile.gif

Huh? Mods can post up their prospects, right?

I'll jump on the Bowman bandwagon as well.  He has okay size and quite the shot.  As mentioned before he also does not shy away from the physical side of the game.  In his first pro season he had some decent stats down in Albany.  If he can find some consistency I'm sure he'll be one of the first call ups.  Hopefully he has a killer camp and is able to check out Finland with the rest of the team.  The only reason being so that I could say, "told you so" to a few friends.

My top 10 Prospects:

2. Nash - Always trust Ron Francis' opinion.

I won't make any predictions about Nash...a lot of scouts say he's ready. But Ronnie's track record as a "talent scout" is pretty horrendous, to be honest.

[quote name='coastal_caniac wrote:

OBXer']I don't know enough to rank 6-10 but I find it odd that of those of you who do that Borer or Carson aren't listed. I understand that there are many

Don't know about others but I don't consider Carson a prospect anymore.  He was offered a one-way, went UFA and got resigned.  As far as Borer, I've got Dumoulin rated above him.  But neither make my top-10.

Fair enough. I still hold out hope Borer can make it. Partly because of the way he played a couple of years ago and partly because of that awful accident that could have ended his career.

[quote name='TheBigKahuna wrote:

rocheccw']My top 10 Prospects:

2. Nash - Always trust Ron Francis' opinion.

I won't make any predictions about Nash...a lot of scouts say he's ready. But Ronnie's track record as a "talent scout" is pretty horrendous, to be honest.

Well Nash did score at a PPG pace for Cornell too. I may have him a little high on my list, but I think he is farther along than some of the other prospects. I think the third line center spot is between Nash & Dalpe.

Lets use Cole as an example.  Before he went down he was well on his way to becomming an elite power forward.  He has never been the same player since the injury.  He was on pace for an 80 point season before he went down. 

Good article on the Canes prospect which includes the Hockey Future rankings of the Canes prospects.

http://www.hockeysfuture....na_hurricanes_prospects/

Enjoy!

First off. Good lord are we deep with prospects. This should make for a very interesting year. I am really thinking a trip to Charlotte might be in the cards. But by the end we are going to have to see who fits and who we might be able to package in a trade. There's that much potential down there.

Second. Hold the phone on me handing the 3rd line center to Nash. I suspect he will still get it, but Dalpe scores big on this write up. If Nash gets the nod, they mention Dalpe on the wing. But we have a slew of potential wingers. 

Third. Boychuk #3.

Forth. It would appear that we are going to go "offensive blueline" for years to come. Nearly every one of our defensive prospects has comments like "not that physical", offensive minded, etc. I think we added one bruiser in there, but not a top prospect at this point. We better not lose Mr. Gleason, or our d will be "all finesse all the time". 

Fifth: Man are we deep with prospects. Oh, I did that one already. 

Since I kinda started this whole Boychuk discussion I will say this.  I understand that prospects need time to develop, that's a no-brainer.  But, I would also say there seems to be a recent trend in the NHL for teams to look for these younger players and prospects to develop within a shorter timeframe.  At least that's my perception.  Therefore players like Boychuk, who just might need another year or two, could conceptually be leap-frogged by other prospects.  Even though those "other" prospects may not have the upside someone like Boychuk does, according to the experts.  I sincerely hope Boychuk makes an impact this year.  If he doesn't, he could find it hard to break the roster in the top-6, as is his projection.

Since I kinda started this whole Boychuk discussion I will say this.  I understand that prospects need time to develop, that's a no-brainer.  But, I would also say there seems to be a recent trend in the NHL for teams to look for these younger players and prospects to develop within a shorter timeframe.  At least that's my perception.  Therefore players like Boychuk, who just might need another year or two, could conceptually be leap-frogged by other prospects.  Even though those "other" prospects may not have the upside someone like Boychuk does, according to the experts.  I sincerely hope Boychuk makes an impact this year.  If he doesn't, he could find it hard to break the roster in the top-6, as is his projection.

I agree with you on this, the league has been trending this way, I think it has more to do with the quality of junior programs and them being able to prepare players better than they used to, but also with the new rules of the NHL, the players don't necessarily have to be, for a lack of a better term, full grown.  They can't be hooked and held like they used to so they can use their speed to their advantage.  I just hope the players that do take longer to develop still get their opportunities when they are ready for them.

[quote name='OBXer wrote:

coastal_caniac wrote:

OBXer']I don't know enough to rank 6-10 but I find it odd that of those of you who do that Borer or Carson aren't listed. I understand that there are many

Fair enough. I still hold out hope Borer can make it. Partly because of the way he played a couple of years ago and partly because of that awful accident that could have ended his career.

Me too.  Borer was one of only a couple of guys in our system that were shut-down type guys.  Remember he also had the knee injury in the season prior to the bus accident.  He's certainly had his share of bad luck.  I always pull for defenseman so I hope he can get past this.

Everyone here is overrating Nash.  Yes he's a good prospect, but not as good as McBain, Skinner, Boychuk, Dalpe(who seems to be vastly underrated here), or even Doumilin.  I think a general lack of knowledge of all our prospects is fueling this, as well as "Ronnie likes the guy, he must be amazing" comments.  Just because Francis likes him, doesn't mean he's going to seamlessly step into the NHL as our 3rd line center, Dalpe has more experience than he does.  

And the Carson, Borer, Rodney types are not prospects anymore.  

Everyone here is overrating Nash.  Yes he's a good prospect, but not as good as McBain, Skinner, Boychuk, Dalpe(who seems to be vastly underrated here), or even Doumilin.  I think a general lack of knowledge of all our prospects is fueling this, as well as "Ronnie likes the guy, he must be amazing" comments.  Just because Francis likes him, doesn't mean he's going to seamlessly step into the NHL as our 3rd line center, Dalpe has more experience than he does.  

I agree that Dalpe is underrated, but I think that is because of a lack of knowledge of him, Alot of people haven't seen him play either in person or on tv.  With Nash he is probably a little overrated but I think alot of that has to do with what I and probably others saw at the prospects conditioning camp.  He was the only one other than Skinner who didn't look like he was a kid just entering his professional career, and I know he was playing against other prospects but he definitely looked like he was in a different class.  I noticed him out of everyone without knowing any of their numbers almost instantly, like literally within 2 or 3 drills, so I think that is why he may be a little bit overhyped as opposed to Dalpe, hopefully he's the real deal and we can trade that enormous salary thats sitting on the first line in a year or two(yes that is a joke, although some probably agree with that statement)

[quote name='10DollarTH wrote:

Sutter16']Everyone here is overrating Nash.  Yes he's a good prospect, but not as good as McBain, Skinner, Boychuk, Dalpe(who seems to be vastly underrated here), or even Doumilin.  I think a general lack of knowledge of all our prospects is fueling this, as well as "Ronnie likes the guy, he must be amazing" comments.  Just because Francis likes him, doesn't mean he's going to seamlessly step into the NHL as our 3rd line center, Dalpe has more experience than he does.  

I agree that Dalpe is underrated, but I think that is because of a lack of knowledge of him, Alot of people haven't seen him play either in person or on tv.  With Nash he is probably a little overrated but I think alot of that has to do with what I and probably others saw at the prospects conditioning camp.  He was the only one other than Skinner who didn't look like he was a kid just entering his professional career, and I know he was playing against other prospects but he definitely looked like he was in a different class.  I noticed him out of everyone without knowing any of their numbers almost instantly, like literally within 2 or 3 drills, so I think that is why he may be a little bit overhyped as opposed to Dalpe, hopefully he's the real deal and we can trade that enormous salary thats sitting on the first line in a year or two(yes that is a joke, although some probably agree with that statement)

That's because he isn't a kid just getting drafted, he has 3 years on most players there.  21 year olds should look better than the 18 year olds.  However, people should not expect that to translate into instant NHL success.  He has no professional experience whatsoever, and just like everyone else it'll take him time to adjust.  It would be best for his development to start in Charlotte. 

[quote name='Sutter16 wrote:

10DollarTH wrote:

Sutter16']Everyone here is overrating Nash.  Yes he's a good prospect, but not as good as McBain, Skinner, Boychuk, Dalpe(who seems to be vastly underrated here), or even Doumilin.  I think a general lack of knowledge of all our prospects is fueling this, as well as "Ronnie likes the guy, he must be amazing" comments.  Just because Francis likes him, doesn't mean he's going to seamlessly step into the NHL as our 3rd line center, Dalpe has more experience than he does.  

That's because he isn't a kid just getting drafted, he has 3 years on most players there.  21 year olds should look better than the 18 year olds.  However, people should not expect that to translate into instant NHL success.  He has no professional experience whatsoever, and just like everyone else it'll take him time to adjust.  It would be best for his development to start in Charlotte. 

Two questions.

One, have you watched these players extensively?

Two, who do you see as our third line center?

I'm the first to admit I don't have the Knowledge to judge most of our prospects. That is why I'm excited to see what happens in training camp and at the start of the season. I'm reading everything every one posts with great interest. I look forward to seeing Dalpe. It should be an interesting start to the season.

Feel free to share your knowledge with the rest of us by giving us your rankings.  Based on your comments, I'd like to see just where you have the top-10.  I find it interesting you don't believe Nash was signed to compete for the third-line center position.  I'll admit I haven't watched him play in college, but everything I have read suggests he is likely ready to play some amount of time with the big club, if not make the team out of camp.  Also, I did see him in person at the prospects camp and it was apparent to me in the first few drills he was heads above everyone with the exception of Skinner.  That certainly played into my rankings. 

Also, I find it intersting that no one but myself had Justin Peters ranked in our top-10 prospects.          

Also, I find it intersting that no one but myself had Justin Peters ranked in our top-10 prospects.          

I just didn't even think about goalie. Probably because he has basically been given the back up job. But then Tlusty has been given a job also. Peters also has a pretty big obstacle in front of him realizing his full potential.

But he should at least be in the middle of the top 10 now that you mention it.

For comparison, here are the top-10 prospects voted on in another board I won't mention. 

1. Skinner

2. McBain

3. Boychuk

4. Dalpe

5. Nash

6. Bowman

7. Sanguinetti

8. Duomolin

9. Faulk

10. Osala

No Tlusty, no Peters?  Hmmm.

[quote name='remkin wrote:

coastal_caniac']

I just didn't even think about goalie. Probably because he has basically been given the back up job. But then Tlusty has been given a job also. Peters also has a pretty big obstacle in front of him realizing his full potential.

But he should at least be in the middle of the top 10 now that you mention it.

I didn't think of Peters either. I guess in my mind he had moved from prospect to roster player. The truth is he is one of our top 10 prospects.

[quote name='coastal_caniac wrote:

Feel free to share your knowledge with the rest of us by giving us your rankings.  Based on your comments, I'd like to see just where you have the top-10.  I find it interesting you don't believe Nash was signed to compete for the third-line center position.  I'll admit I haven't watched him play in college, but everything I have read suggests he is likely ready to play some amount of time with the big club, if not make the team out of camp.  Also, I did see him in person at the prospects camp and it was apparent to me in the first few drills he was heads above everyone with the exception of Skinner.  That certainly played into my rankings. 

Also, I find it intersting that no one but myself had Justin Peters ranked in our top-10 prospects.          I didn't say he wouldn't compete for 3rd line center, obviously he will and he's the front runner right now, but it would better serve him to start in the AHL, similar to how McBain was handled last year.  Not many players can step right from juniors/college into the NHL.  He'll compete primarily with Dalpe, but I guess the organization would rather rush him than Dalpe, which I would agree with.  I don't think Skinner will really compete for 3rd line center duty, he's a winger in the NHL and there's no use starting him at center.  We'll most likely have some winger injured and Skinner will start the year with the Canes on the 9 or 10 game period where the first year of ELC won't kick in, and be sent back down to juniors.  Honestly, I really don't want him playing anymore than that this year, we have too many forwards and Skinner has a chance to build on his crazy goal total in juniors this year and once we can dump Cole and Sammy we'll have more forward openings for Skinner next year.  11-12 will be a great year, if we play it right we'll have no bad contracts and be even younger than this year.

As for my list of prospects, I would go something like this:

1a. McBain
1b. Skinner

For various reasons, overall skill, their ceiling, and what McBain has showed in the NHL to this point.  No doubt they're our top two, but I can't really put one in front of the other at this point, McBain has 4 years on Skinner so they're at different points in their development. 

3. Dalpe
4. Boychuk
5a. Faulk
5b. Doumilin
7a. Bowman
7b. Nash
9. Sanguinetti
10. Osala

There are a couple groups of players that are on the same level/I can't put one in front of the other, so my top 10 is basically this group.

[quote name='Sutter16 wrote:

coastal_caniac wrote:

I didn't say he wouldn't compete for 3rd line center, obviously he will and he's the front runner right now, but it would better serve him to start in the AHL, similar to how McBain was handled last year.  Not many players can step right from juniors/college into the NHL.  He'll compete primarily with Dalpe, but I guess the organization would rather rush him than Dalpe, which I would agree with.  I don't think Skinner will really compete for 3rd line center duty, he's a winger in the NHL and there's no use starting him at center.  We'll most likely have some winger injured and Skinner will start the year with the Canes on the 9 or 10 game period where the first year of ELC won't kick in, and be sent back down to juniors.  Honestly, I really don't want him playing anymore than that this year, we have too many forwards and Skinner has a chance to build on his crazy goal total in juniors this year and once we can dump Cole and Sammy we'll have more forward openings for Skinner next year.  11-12 will be a great year, if we play it right we'll have no bad contracts and be even younger than this year.

As for my list of prospects, I would go something like this:

1a. McBain
1b. Skinner

For various reasons, overall skill, their ceiling, and what McBain has showed in the NHL to this point.  No doubt they're our top two, but I can't really put one in front of the other at this point, McBain has 4 years on Skinner so they're at different points in their development. 

3. Dalpe
4. Boychuk
5a. Faulk
5b. Doumilin
7a. Bowman
7b. Nash
9. Sanguinetti
10. Osala

There are a couple groups of players that are on the same level/I can't put one in front of the other, so my top 10 is basically this group.
Okay, seems like a well-thought out top-10.  Interesting you have Faulk and Duomolin placed ahead of Peters and Bowman though, but its your list.  Tlusty is getting no love from anyone either.  I do agree outside the top-2 its up for grabs.  Also, everyone can't stay in Charlotte unless we sign more forwards, so some of this group will have to play with the big club.  It could be a revolving door between Charlotte and Raleigh.  

As far as Skinner I agree, logic would dictate he plays the 9 games in Raleigh and heads back to Kitchener.  That will be interesting to see play out.