The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
TSA

Canes 2010 general off season talk

[quote name='Ichigo-1 wrote:

coastal_caniac']

Well to change the subject, anybody think Staal can get back to the 80-point plateau this year?  Bueller....Bueller?

I think it depends on his wingers and health. I think he can do it if he is healthy the whole year. Would be nice given that he is the top guy on the pay roll too laugh.gif need to fill in some of that whitney gap, while rookies will have to fill most of it, Staal needs to have a great year as well if we want to do that and have a successful season.

A long story short, my answer will be yes, 85 points. 30 G 55 A

Agreed. Staal is very capable of putting up another 80 point season but so much will depend on his wingers. If they connect and play well together 80 points is a good possibility. This is also his first full year as Captain and and that will bring added pressure to succeed.  If he stays healthy and focused he can do it. Will he?  I don't know.

Well to change the subject, anybody think Staal can get back to the 80-point plateau this year?  Bueller....Bueller?
It's going to be hard to put up those kind of numbers with nobody on the team that is willing to go to the goal and do the dirty work.  Staal has the ability, but is going to struggle until a top winger is signed or developed.  I think JR is hoping Boychuk or Skinner is going to be that guy.  

The D is what scares the Bejesus out of me though.  I'm affraid with all the utes on the front line that the D and Wardo are going to face an onslaught.

I saw this on Spector's today.  I must admit it took me by surprise.

RALEIGH NEWS & OBSERVER's Chip Alexander reported yesterday via Twitter doesn't rule out the Carolina Hurricanes having some interest in former Hurricanes forward Scott Walker. Alexander said odds are Walker won't return but "you never say never".

The last rumor said we might still cut salary and this one that we might have an interest in Scott. I know it says odds are he won't return but I wonder what's up?

RALEIGH NEWS & OBSERVER's Chip Alexander reported yesterday via Twitter doesn't rule out the Carolina Hurricanes having some interest in former Hurricanes forward Scott Walker. Alexander said odds are Walker won't return but "you never say never".

The last rumor said we might still cut salary and this one that we might have an interest in Scott. I know it says odds are he won't return but I wonder what's up?

I'm not sure where Walker is in terms of his career and what he is looking for, but if we could move Sergei somehow, Walker on the 4th line with Kostopolous would give us some gritty character veteran presence that  could slide up to the third line if needed. It surely makes zero sense if Scotty is looking 3rd line or higher, or for that kind of money. He makes far more sense on the 4th line than Sammy does though.

[quote name='remkin wrote:

OBXer']

I'm not sure where Walker is in terms of his career and what he is looking for, but if we could move Sergei somehow, Walker on the 4th line with Kostopolous would give us some gritty character veteran presence that  could slide up to the third line if needed. It surely makes zero sense if Scotty is looking 3rd line or higher, or for that kind of money.

You make a good point. I'm not opposed to Walker.  He is tough and plays with heart and he sure would fit the fourth line better than Sammy. But he doesn't fit our rebuild. One year at a reasonable salary to help the young guys would be alright. But somebody has to go. Then again I'm still holding out hope we can steal Staal from the Rangers smile.gif

Walker is in town for the Jimmy V Celebrity Golf Classic. And without a team yet, it shouldn't be surprising there would be rumors... That said, I figured that if he were still looking for a team as the season approached, it would be possible he might be back. Since he would likely be slotted for fourth line duties, he wouldn't really be in the way of any up-and-coming youngsters - who I would hope would be sent to Charlotte before being cut down to fourth line minutes. And Walker would be a good guy to have around.

However, I don't really think that trading Samsonov makes room for him. I find it hard to believe that if they really figured the only place for Samsonov was on the fourth line that they would have bothered keeping him. As mentioned before, buying him out wouldn't have saved much money, but at that point, it still would have made sense.

Considering none of the young guys lined up for left wing - Tlusty, Boychuk, Bowman, etc. have yet shown that they are ready to take on second or even third line duties at the NHL level, I'd guess Samsonov is very much insurance that they will have someone able to play at that level. One or more of the youngsters may step up, but if not, that would leave things pretty sparse on the left side. While Walker may be able to jump up to the third line when needed, he doesn't really offer the same kind of production.

Perhaps it makes sense If they want to carry an extra forward, since they certainly don't want the youngsters up here and not playing. But I don't know that they would want to do that, given that Charlotte is close by, and it would increase cost,

You make a good point about Sammy as an insurance policy. There are so many question marks in our top 9 that I see it more as Sammy is one more guy who might find some offensive game. At least he's done it before. Cole is similar, but at least Cole will hit someone. Anyway our forward strategy for this year so far is: throw enough guys like that against the wall and hopefully enough of them stick in terms of offense to stay competitive.

Walker is a great veteran character guy who plays hard all the time. His value would be lead by example on a somewhat young team.

On the other hand, he is 37 years old. We've been down that road before and JR has learned enough to go a different direction with Whitney for instance. We have Kostopolous. If Walker were 4th line center material it might make some sense. But on the wing I really like the idea of trying Jerome Samson there. He can cycle and scrap for a year or two, while getting the occasional try on higher lines. He's cheap and young. He's earned a shot. This will be the year for people getting their shot, so to speak.

I think at the end of the day JR passes on Walker. That said, JR is the king of recyclers, and if Walker came cheap it would not be shocking.

Only twice in the last 7 seasons has Walker played more than 60 games. He'll probably get not much more than league minimum offers in my opinion. He's a good enough 13th forward...but not at more than 500,000.

Chip had a little more in his N&O blog today:

Rutherford again said he does not anticipate the Canes adding any other players, saying the competition for spots, especially among the younger guys, will be beneficial. He said he has spoken with the agent of forward Scott Walker but does not anticipate bringing back the veteran forward, an unrestricted free agent.

"We like him a lot," Rutherford said. "We do not have room right now."

Sounds like JR may be extending Scott Walker a training camp invite as a courtesy to help him find a new team and a potential contract.  JR made it clear when he traded him to Washington that he would do whatever he could for Scott because he obviously thinks very highly of him.  Its similar to what he did for Jeff O'Neill a few years back even though it didn't work out for Jeff.

Sounds like JR may be extending Scott Walker a training camp invite as a courtesy to help him find a new team and a potential contract.  JR made it clear when he traded him to Washington that he would do whatever he could for Scott because he obviously thinks very highly of him.  Its similar to what he did for Jeff O'Neill a few years back even though it didn't work out for Jeff.

You know the off-season is getting to us when we bring up jeff o'neill's comeback campaign from two years ago. that was two years ago right? Wonder what tanabe is up to...

[quote name='Ichigo-1 wrote:

TSA']

You know the off-season is getting to us when we bring up jeff o'neill's comeback campaign from two years ago. that was two years ago right? Wonder what tanabe is up to...

Geez Ichigo, it was just a comparison.  dry.gif     Tough crowd.

smile.gif

Geez Ichigo, it was just a comparison.  dry.gif     Tough crowd.

smile.gif

laugh.gif I was mostly talking to myself out loud there sorry if it came across that way.

@krad - I heard a few hockey media groups putting us in the #10-9 spots in the east. With a little luck we might be able to get the 8th spot. Although, if you look at last year, there were a few teams that were predicted dead last (COL) and ended up in the playoffs. since their are 15 teams in the conference, roll a 1d15 and add your modifiers = our placement. roll.gif

I've read the same thing Ichigo was talking about. Hockey News has us picked 9th in the East. http://www.thehockeynews....on-predictions-No-6.html For our sake though I hope we don't finish 9th, worst place to finish in this league. But I'd like to add this team plays better when no one gives them a chance, so I gotta believe this team can make the playoffs this year. And lets not forget, this franchise is one of the most inconsistent teams possibly ever. I mean from SC finals to last place to SC winner in a span of 4 years is crazy, hell we could see the Stanley Cup again here next summer, thats how odd, unpredictable, etc this team is.

Overall though, they need to have a great start and finish the season on a high note, can't be playing catch-up all season; Start strong finish strong!

I've read the same thing Ichigo was talking about. Hockey News has us picked 9th in the East. http://www.thehockeynews....on-predictions-No-6.html For our sake though I hope we don't finish 9th, worst place to finish in this league. But I'd like to add this team plays better when no one gives them a chance, so I gotta believe this team can make the playoffs this year. And lets not forget, this franchise is one of the most inconsistent teams possibly ever. I mean from SC finals to last place to SC winner in a span of 4 years is crazy, hell we could see the Stanley Cup again here next summer, thats how odd, unpredictable, etc this team is.

Overall though, they need to have a great start and finish the season on a high note, can't be playing catch-up all season; Start strong finish strong!

The finish strong they have mastered, they just gotta start strong.  Or at least not drop 14 in a row.

[quote name='dogbutler wrote:

captain_jack88']

I've read the same thing Ichigo was talking about. Hockey News has us picked 9th in the East.
http://www.thehockeynews....on-predictions-No-6.html
For our sake though I hope we don't finish 9th, worst place to finish in this league. But I'd like to add this team plays better when no one gives them a chance, so I gotta believe this team can make the playoffs this year. And lets not forget, this franchise is one of the most inconsistent teams possibly ever. I mean from SC finals to last place to SC winner in a span of 4 years is crazy, hell we could see the Stanley Cup again here next summer, thats how odd, unpredictable, etc this team is.

The finish strong they have mastered, they just gotta start strong.  Or at least not drop 14 in a row.

With the way the schedule looks, if they can survive October they should be ok.  But yeah...losing 14 in row at any point won't be a good thing.

Predicting the NHL season is like predicting the roulette wheel. OK, not quite that bad, but pretty close. In terms of predictions, I think the main value to us is being ranked low so we can sneak a few wins on teams taking us lightly. If, however, I were prone to take these things seriously, I would be rather ecstatic about being ranked #9. On paper this year should be the nadir of our rebuild. It should be our lowest point. We have more questions in our top 9 than just about any team in the league but we're still seen as a playoff contender? Great! After JR's lowering of the expectations that is good news.

On the starting strong, it would be a very good sign since our schedule would predict that we will be a significant underdog for each and every one of our first 11 games, with the possible exception of Minnesota. A very solid team could easily go 3-8 with that schedule. I think if we can find 7 points out of those first 22 points, it would be solid. Anything better than that will bode very well for us. Going .500 though that would make me giddy.

A sweep of Minnesota would help soooo much.

Thinking back to 08-09, the team won the first 2 games, both IIRC were come from behind victories. And before Lavi got fired the team did have some good wins on the road in October, and then the 9 game winning streak towards the end helped out.

Being that the first 7 games are away from Raleigh and a majority of them are against Western teams including the Canucks and Sharks, it will be a big test for the team. If they can pass, I think they will build confidence within themselves and all should be good. So w/ what Remkin said, a sweep of Minnesota would be good, winning that first game would be great. But dropping both would put us behind the 8 ball from the get-go.

Canes to Appear on VERSUS Four Times in 2010-11NHL’s national rightsholder in U.S. to televise both of Carolina’s games from HelsinkiWednesday, 08.25.2010 / 2:35 PM / News By Ken Preston RALEIGH, NC – The National Hockey League and its television rightsholders today announced their 2010-11 national television schedules.

Four of the Carolina Hurricanes’ regular-season games will be televised by U.S. national rightsholder VERSUS,
including both of the team’s 2010 NHL Compuware Premiere games from Helsinki, Finland,
against the Minnesota Wild, Oct. 7-8. VERSUS also will televise Carolina’s home game on Nov. 29 against the Dallas Stars, and Carolina’s game at Buffalo on March 15. Along with the four games on VERSUS, the Hurricanes will appear on national television rightsholders in Canada 15 times.

Been watching the first couple of games of the Bruins series on NHL. Having watched the NJ series before, a couple of things stand out about guys we still have on the team (and a couple we don't).

1. Staal is a legitimate superstar and if healthy will have a good year. Never heard announcers more obsessed with pointing out a match up more than Staal-Chara. But one thing was clear. Whenever Staal was not matched with that behemoth freak of nature, he largely had his way.

2. Jokinen is for real. He was so clutch on the big stage, with guys playing there hardest. Then to follow that up with the season he had last year simply can not be anything but real ability. I have listed him as a question mark since last year was such a break out, but to drop 30 goals on the heels of that playoff performance, I'm not worried about him.

3. We will miss Cullen. I am very excited about Nash, Skinner, and Dalpe, but one more year of Cullen would have been ideal. Not only his skill but his compete level.

4. There was one guy who was the ultimate Jekyll and Hyde. Babchuk. When he had the puck he was clearly the one guy who looked panicked. He was truly "uh-oh Babchuk". In that regard he really stood out as a boy among men. On the other hand his shot is freakishly good. To see the goals you have to go back to the regular season, but the thing about Bab's shot is that if he gets it on net, half the time the goalie boots it. I would love to see a reel of 100 Babchuk slap shots in a row. I bet at least half of the shots saved are fought off or create a rebound. Let's hope Babchuk's back end game has matured a bit, because he is going to score.

5. While Corvo makes some unfortunate decisions at times, he is very slick with the puck. I really doubt we could have done better for the salary. Also, Corvo's game is somewhat between the ears and if he feels confident he can be very good. He seems to feel confident here.

6. Cole. Looks good at times. Produces very little. Does hit people. At the end of the day, unless he finds a scoring touch that has eluded him for years, he will be best on the third line banging bodies and making the occasional bull rush. I hope he finds it, because at his peak he was a guy with a legitimate shot a 40 goal season. Clearly at this point a 20 goal season would be incredible.

7. To understand how we made such a deep run with a good, not great team, watching this and the NJ series reminded me that it is mostly due the guy between the pipes. Ward was the man. With a healthy Ward and a healthy Staal, we will be in most games. God help us if either of those two are out for an extended run this year.

Watching that team play Boston, my other thought is just this, when other teams are playing at peak NHL level, will guys like Tlusty, Boychuk, Nash, Harrison, McBain, Carson, etc. be able to compete at that level this year? We know Whitney, Cullen, etc. could. If they can, we will surprise.

Now just gotta keep watching this Boston series to see if we can pull it out again.

@ remkin - Pretty good remarks on the team's outlook. I feel pretty much the way you do about all of those players. Babchuk scares me a bit, but the season he had before he had the meltdown in the playoffs was pretty impressive. He's got a great shot and can really contribute. Let's hope he's no longer a head case! smile.gif I'm really excited about Sutter. This is a make or break season for him. If he can stay productive, he'll be a great asset for us. We really need Jussi to stay on top of his game and for a guy like Sutter to step up now that Whitney is gone.......that actually hurt to write......Whitney is gone.....

Hi everyone,

I was listening to the XM NHL station today, and there was a a replay of an interview with JR.  He was talking about all of the good young prospects right now, but then made a comment that during the cup run in 2006, they made some trades that left the cupboard (of prospects) bear for a while.  I wasn't following the Canes that closely then.  Does anyone remember off hand what prospects we gave up, and have any of them panned out in other organizations?

Thanks!

Dont know without looking it up but I bet he's referring to the picks we had to give up for Doug Weight and Marc Recchi.

[quote name='OBXer wrote:

remkin wrote:

OBXer']I saw this on Spector's today.  I must admit it took me by surprise.

I'm not sure where Walker is in terms of his career and what he is looking for, but if we could move Sergei somehow, Walker on the 4th line with Kostopolous would give us some gritty character veteran presence that  could slide up to the third line if needed. It surely makes zero sense if Scotty is looking 3rd line or higher, or for that kind of money.

You make a good point. I'm not opposed to Walker.  He is tough and plays with heart and he sure would fit the fourth line better than Sammy. But he doesn't fit our rebuild. One year at a reasonable salary to help the young guys would be alright. But somebody has to go. Then again I'm still holding out hope we can steal Staal from the Rangers smile.gif

I'm not opposed to Walker, but given his injury history I would think it would be time for him to hang up the skates. I just don't see how you'd want a guy whom you know is likely going to miss half the season. He plays hard, he's gritty... but that has obviously taken a toll on his body.