The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
TSA

Canes 2010 general off season talk

From the N & O:

Rutherford: no decisions on buyouts

Canes Now/N&O

The NHL's two-week buyout window has opened, but the Canes apparently won't be making any first-day moves.

General manager Jim Rutherford said today that no decisions had been made. It's possible the Canes could buy out the contracts of veterans Rod Brind'Amour and Sergei Samsonov. Brind'Amour is due to make $3 million and Samsonov $2.8 million next season in the final year of their contracts.

"I've talked to Roddy a few times and we stay in constant communication, but at this point we have not reached a decision," Rutherford said.

Rutherford said the Canes' biggest focus is on next week's NHL Entry Draft in Los Angeles, although saying
some significant personnel moves need to be made before July 1.

Tick-Tock is right Coastal Caniac wink.gif

Not saying we should do this but last year was injury palgued -2008/2009 stats show 38 pts and a minus one. In 2007/2008 he was a plus 17 in 74 games with us and Ottowa and put up 48 points. The whole idea of "Uh Oh Corvo" is a misnomer. He could certainly be a top 6 pairing for us if he'd sign at a reasonable price. At 33, he's certainly got at least 3 or 4 good years left. Those are better stats than Pitkanen put up in the same time period. Granted, Joni is 6 years younger and just rounding into form.

Quote from Erik Cole on WRAL...

"I've had a very productive offseason to this point. Haven't done very much traveling.....just been staying put here, been working out," {{a href=audio-1"}}Cole told Adam Gold on 99.9 The Fan ESPN Radio on Monday.{{/a}} "[JOE CORVO is back in town so he and I have been at the gym together just trying to get stronger. Things that were hurt during the season, I'm paying attention to those areas that need improvement to build extra strength in those areas, and it's been great."

Corvo still has that brand new house he built in North Raleigh...so I'm not surprised he's back here for the summer. I think he was really happy about the anonymity pro hockey players could enjoy while living here. He, like quite a few other players, might very well settle down here for a while...even if he plays elsewhere.

I think the only way he's re-signed is if JR can unload one or more of Samsonov, Cole, Brindy, Babchuk, etc.

*I am one of the few who thinks Babchuk will be signed only to be traded away after July 1st. Wouldn't surprise me if JR already has a suitor. He's rubbed JR the wrong way twice. I do not expect him to wear the Eye this season.

Corvo still has that brand new house he built in North Raleigh...so I'm not surprised he's back here for the summer. I think he was really happy about the anonymity pro hockey players could enjoy while living here. He, like quite a few other players, might very well settle down here for a while...even if he plays elsewhere.

I think the only way he's re-signed is if JR can unload one or more of Samsonov, Cole, Brindy, Babchuk, etc.

*I am one of the few who thinks Babchuk will be signed only to be traded away after July 1st. Wouldn't surprise me if JR already has a suitor. He's rubbed JR the wrong way twice. I do not expect him to wear the Eye this season.

You're in pretty good company around here, many have thought sign and trade from the beginning.  Wouldn't surprise me at all to see Corvo re-signed.

If Babchuk is indeed signed and traded then we have to do something on defense.  If we have to go to free agency to fill a spot in the top-4 Corvo would likely bring a bargain price, although that bargain price would be for an average top-4 D man at best.  I would prefer to go after a guy like Hamhuis but he will likely fetch 4 to 4.5 mil on the open market, something the Canes aren't likely to do. 

I still don't like the way the defense is "shaping up".  Its a glaring weakness whether Babchuk is in the lineup or not.

Don't get me wrong, I would love Corvo to come back, our defense looks really weak - Corvo would pick that up. But even if we do unload Babchuk we still have Picard, Pothier, or even a draft pick to consider, who would certainly be cheaper than Corvo. However, it is interesting to hear that he is back in town - even if he does have a home here. MAYBE he would take a 'hometown' discount.. maybe not.. And there really hasn't been any mention of JR looking at him..

I think unloading Babchuk is the best way to go. I'm not sure - how did Florida's defense look last year? Think they would take Babchuk, Picard, and maybe Bowman for their 1st round pick?

If Corvo can be signed for close to 2 million a year, it wouldn't surprise me to see it happen. JR coveted Corvo for a while before getting him, and even talked like he hated to let him go last year at the trade deadline. The healthy Corvo who played a partial season here his first year, impressed a lot of people. If he can stay healthy, he can take up a top 4 spot alongside one of the young guys. Either he or Pits would be paired with Gleason, would be my guess, the other with Carson or McBain.  Bringing him back should surprise no one. That's Rutherford standard M.O.

I would be shocked to see Walker brought back though. Scotty needs to be considering retirement. Teams can't afford to dedicate that kind of money to a guy who hasn't played a full season in over 3 years. And he did not help himself with his performance in DC, unless you only count his first game.

If Corvo can be signed for close to 2 million a year, it wouldn't surprise me to see it happen. JR coveted Corvo for a while before getting him, and even talked like he hated to let him go last year at the trade deadline. The healthy Corvo who played a partial season here his first year, impressed a lot of people. If he can stay healthy, he can take up a top 4 spot alongside one of the young guys. Either he or Pits would be paired with Gleason, would be my guess, the other with Carson or McBain.  Bringing him back should surprise no one. That's Rutherford standard M.O.

I would be shocked to see Walker brought back though. Scotty needs to be considering retirement. Teams can't afford to dedicate that kind of money to a guy who hasn't played a full season in over 3 years. And he did not help himself with his performance in DC, unless you only count his first game.

What do you mean "that kind of money?" Its not like he is going to be signed on to a contract worth what he was making last year. He'll be signed for $500,000. Good energy guy with a lot of heart, IMO. But yeah, he isn't coming back here.

Not saying we should do this but last year was injury palgued -2008/2009 stats show 38 pts and a minus one. In 2007/2008 he was a plus 17 in 74 games with us and Ottowa and put up 48 points. The whole idea of "Uh Oh Corvo" is a misnomer. He could certainly be a top 6 pairing for us if he'd sign at a reasonable price. At 33, he's certainly got at least 3 or 4 good years left. Those are better stats than Pitkanen put up in the same time period. Granted, Joni is 6 years younger and just rounding into form.

No way. He will cost too much. McBain is probably a year, maybe two, away from being the new Corvo. We're not going to bring him back.

What do you mean "that kind of money?" Its not like he is going to be signed on to a contract worth what he was making last year. He'll be signed for $500,000. Good energy guy with a lot of heart, IMO. But yeah, he isn't coming back here.

In a tight budgeted salary cap league....I don't see many teams willing to give up ANY salary to a guy who hasn't had a healthy season in quite some time, and produces VERY limited points. I like Scotty....always have. But his best days are 4 years behind him.

But even if we do unload Babchuk we still have Picard, Pothier, or even a draft pick to consider, who would certainly be cheaper than Corvo. 

That makes me feel alot better about our defense (sarcasam alert).  This only magnifies the need for another top-4 defenseman.  Neither Picard or Pothier fills that need.  A gaping hole I tell you. 

I couldn't agree more, coastal. But do we really need to bring up the fact that PK and JR are going cheap this year? I have a feeling that no one is going to happy with our defense going into the beginning of the season. But lets look forward to the draft for now.

If we can pay Corvo in chickens, maybe he will come back, otherwise I doubt it. I'd be fine with having him back but I don't think he fits in the austerity budget. If we take a forward in the draft, very slim chance.

JR needs to go hard after John madden. He brings great leadership. Great penalty killer and overall great defensively.

Multiple sources are reporting Anaheim may shop Bobby Ryan prior to July 1.  He's a RFA.  Likely too rich for our budget but boy talk about a guy to play with Staal.

Only way Canes could pull this off, would be with dumping some salary...Cole / Samsonov.  But man would it be worth it.

[quote name='rocheccw wrote:

coastal_caniac']

Multiple sources are reporting Anaheim may shop Bobby Ryan prior to July 1.  He's a RFA.  Likely too rich for our budget but boy talk about a guy to play with Staal.

Only way Canes could pull this off, would be with dumping some salary...Cole / Samsonov.  But man would it be worth it.

Would be interesting to know what we'd have to give up to get him. I can guarantee that our #7 and Cole/Sammy isn't enough. :-)

Here is a thought..

Seems almost like Chicago has given up on Jack Skille; why not go after him? He is only 23, and couldn't cost us that much to acquire him. Maybe some kind of package deal involving Versteeg and Skille? What do you think?

However, if Chicago does move players like Versteeg (and I do believe he will be moved) there are going to be roster spots open for less expensive players like Skille..so maybe they don't want to get rid of him. But I believe he definitely falls under the "may need a new environment" category, and could do very well here. I think he was drafted 7th overall in the 05 draft..i think..

Skille also played with McBain for the University of Wisconsin-Madison.