The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
TSA

Canes 2010 general off season talk

I guess the upcoming week and a half will be big in determining how deep the Canes are going to cut  and just how young we are going to go. I have an idea we are going to go very deep and very young but until it happens we don't know. I expect a trade or two before the draft and a buyout just after the draft. I think this is going to be a very different team next season.

If we could somehow pull off a swap for Boston's #1 pick it would be a game changer.  If not the draft is looking 2 to 3 years down the road and will have little bearing on the moves we will make. But in either case I think the moves are going to come quickly and I think we might be surprised.

Well Im sure JK has already had JR look into getting the 2nd pick so we could grab Seguin.  I am still for trading down with PHX if they are willing.  At 13, Forbot could still be there, Tinordi and McIrath will be there.  At 22 there will be plenty of options for our crew to make a great pick whether it be a center or winger.  I would explore if Nino, Grub, and Fowler are gone at 7. 

Well Im sure JK has already had JR look into getting the 2nd pick so we could grab Seguin.  I am still for trading down with PHX if they are willing.  At 13, Forbot could still be there, Tinordi and McIrath will be there.  At 22 there will be plenty of options for our crew to make a great pick whether it be a center or winger.  I would explore if Nino, Grub, and Fowler are gone at 7. 
I'm sure you are right. If it can be done I'm sure we will try to get Boston's first (2nd pick) round pick. I know it is a long shot. The draft talent does appear deep this year but after the first 3 or 4 I wouldn't look for immediate help. Those picks are for the end of the rebuilding process. Maybe  in a year or two if we are lucky.  I don't keep up with the draft prospects like many on this board so I rely on your input and of course what I read from the alleged experts. I find the entire dismantling of and rebuilding of a team fascinating. I just hope it isn't frustrating.

From the Ottawa Sun

7. CAROLINA: This is an organization that is cleaning house and is trying to get younger. Don’t be surprised if they try to move up to No. 2 to get Seguin. Pick: Brett Connolly, LW, Prince George.

The price would be very high. But I think if there is a deal that can be made we will make it. I have my doubts we can pull it off. Boston keeps saying they won't deal away their pick.

Getting the #2 pick would be great.. but, according to an article released by the N&O - doesn't look like that is going to happen... Here is a little bit of it..

While Carolina's amateur scouts went over their draft board upstairs at the RBC Center -- Hurricanes president and general manager Jim Rutherford was with the scouts and did not attend the meeting with the N&O -- Karmanos downplayed the possibility the Hurricanes might use their cornucopia of draft picks to move up from the seventh pick in pursuit of Seguin.

"When you see a player play the number of games I’ve seen Tyler play, you also see the things he doesn’t do," Karmanos said. "If you don’t see him and just read the press clippings, you’d think, ‘Greatest player since Stevie Yzerman.’ Taylor Hall and Tyler Seguin ... are rated one and two in the draft and I’m sort of glad we don’t have to make that pick. It’s a very, very deep draft with three or four other outstanding players."

The price for that pick could do more damage then good imo.

Unless we have to trade Staal or Ward, I'm not sure the price could be too high to pick up the next superstar center.

I don't think Boston is going to trade that pick period, but what do you think the price might be?

Also, I would suggest that if we could pick up Connolly, he might be ready to play if his injury is better. He has the skills.

I read a rumor that the Kings want Gleason.  The rumor was lsited under one of the blogs on hockeybuzz (so consider the source), but could JR actually be entertaining the idea of trading Timmy?  I personally thought not resigning Legace was a mistake, but this would be worse?  Has anyone else heard anything like this?  Thoughts???

I read a rumor that the Kings want Gleason.  The rumor was lsited under one of the blogs on hockeybuzz (so consider the source), but could JR actually be entertaining the idea of trading Timmy?  I personally thought not resigning Legace was a mistake, but this would be worse?  Has anyone else heard anything like this?  Thoughts???
Hockeybuzz?  Blog from Hockeybuzz?  A_laughing_matter.gif 

My thoughts are that your reading too many fan posts on message boards for lack of real information available.  Its been all over the hockey sites and is no secret the Canes are sitting on 11 picks in the draft and are rebuilding, what else are they gonna talk about? 

Its ok buddy, just sit tight and see what unfolds.

You're right about the source, don't take anything that you read on hockeybuzz as fact.  It might be true that the Kings were asking JR about Gleason, but everyone here knows what a backwards move dealing Gleason would be.  Hockeybuzz just twists everything for the dramatic effects of "rumors" like this.  If we traded him, we'd have a big hole in our defense and be searching for someone to fill his role as the only physical shut down guy on our back end.  Makes zero sense, and that's why Gleason won't be going anywhere.  Same logic can be applied to Pitkanen, they are the foundation of our D. 

This is on Spector's Hockey today.

OTTAWA CITIZEN: Ken Warren reports Senators GM Bryan Murray said Jason Spezza told him at his end-of-season meeting he wouldn't object to a trade but Murray won't make a deal just for the sake of doing so. Pending UFA blueliner Anton Volchenkov appears destined to hit the UFA market but Andy Sutton and Matt Cullen appear willing to remain with the Senators.

From HockeyLeaks.com

- Rumours suggest that the Chicago Blackhawks are looking to move Patrick Sharp and Kris Versteeg prior to July 1st. The Leafs, Blue Jackets and Canadiens are the three teams I've heard interested in Sharp while the Oilers, Blues, Devils and Islanders have kicked the tires at Versteeg. The Blackhawks are in serious cap trouble and will be looking to fix that as soon as possible.

JR, please get in on this if you can!!!

..and our favorite Eklund has us interested in Kaberle

Tomas Kaberle more and more likely to get dealt. But only if the Leafs get someone who can help them immediately. Today's rumoured teams are Pittsburgh, Anaheim, and Carolina.

gotta tell ya even considering the source I'm scratching my head on this one.

This is on Spector's Hockey today.

OTTAWA CITIZEN: Ken Warren reports Senators GM Bryan Murray said Jason Spezza told him at his end-of-season meeting he wouldn't object to a trade but Murray won't make a deal just for the sake of doing so. Pending UFA blueliner Anton Volchenkov appears destined to hit the UFA market but Andy Sutton and Matt Cullen appear willing to remain with the Senators

Cullen was quoted, after the season ended, as saying he enjoyed his time with the Sens.  I am sure he has read all the "going cheap"

talk and "going young" talk that we have-----also that JR won't "be active in early free agency" etc. None of us know what

will happen til it happens, but if I had entertained any thought of returning here, all of that talk would discourage me ! He has

a young family to think about. Makes me sad.  sad.gif

Won't surprise me a bit, like I said before, if all the cheap, bottom of the cap range talk discourages season ticket prospects, too.

To lose contributing vets like Cullen and Whit will leave us with a weaker, inexperienced team, lacking in depth.

Unless there are some good surprises in the next three weeks or so, this is one season ticket holder who is not looking toward

the upcoming season with much enthusiasm !!!

[quote name='UNCCaniac8 wrote:

OBXer']This is on Spector's Hockey today.

Ken Warren reports Senators GM Bryan Murray said Jason Spezza told him at his end-of-season meeting he wouldn't object to a trade but Murray won't make a deal just for the sake of doing so. Pending UFA blueliner Anton Volchenkov appears destined to hit the UFA market but Andy Sutton and
Matt Cullen appear willing to remain with the Senators

Cullen was quoted, after the season ended, as saying he enjoyed his time with the Sens.  I am sure he has read all the "going cheap"

talk and "going young" talk that we have-----also that JR won't "be active in early free agency" etc. None of us know what

will happen til it happens, but if I had entertained any thought of returning here, all of that talk would discourage me ! He has

a young family to think about. Makes me sad.  sad.gif

Won't surprise me a bit, like I said before, if all the cheap, bottom of the cap range talk discourages season ticket prospects, too.

To lose contributing vets like Cullen and Whit will leave us with a weaker, inexperienced team, lacking in depth.

Unless there are some good surprises in the next three weeks or so, this is one season ticket holder who is not looking toward

the upcoming season with much enthusiasm !!!

I find myself agreeing with you a lot on this. This is why I feel that there must be at least one off season veteran pickup at forward, and one at defense. If not Cullen, then fine, Sharp or Versteeg or even go a notch lower, but someone significant, either a playmaking winger or a third line center. 

To go into this season saying we're going flat out cheap, after what happened last year, is not encouraging to me as a season ticket holder. I have become a pretty passionate Canes fan, but I did not like the near indifference I felt last year at points. The Canes have dumped a ton of salary, and hopefully some more *cough* Sammy *cough*. They ought to be able to add one significant vet up front and one stay at home dman. 

Frankly I think the tell tale position is 3rd line center. That position should be FILLED, not "open to competition". Yes, I want that top winger, but fine, maybe that doesn't happen. But if Patrick Dwyer is our 3rd line center that will not be a good sign. 

Still, some of this may be a bit of posturing. So the final judgement comes after the moves have been made. But if they go with basically the roster they have now....well I just can't believe they would hang us out there like that, so I'm still optimistic, moves will be made. In JR I still trust.

..and our favorite Eklund has us interested in Kaberle

Tomas Kaberle more and more likely to get dealt. But only if the Leafs get someone who can help them immediately. Today's rumoured teams are Pittsburgh, Anaheim, and Carolina.

gotta tell ya even considering the source I'm scratching my head on this one.

He puts on a blindfold and throws darts at a wall of NHL logos.

havent posted in months,  just wanted to say i miss you all at the boards! and i hope we get projected to be 30th in the league this year. we all know what happens when we are underdogs...

Go to WRAL/ Sports for full JR interview  (17 min) and Jennings : Budget minded Canes look to Draft  (2 min)

For what it is worth, I listened to JR on the 11:00 news-WRAL. He said they will stick as close to the 44 mil

bottom of the salary cap as possible. They will be drafting assets for the future this weekend and are in a

strong position from that standpoint. Organizational decisions will be made with regard to and in consultation

with Brindy.

He wanted Whit to stay and he believed Whit prefers to stay, but he suspects he will take a higher salary

offer elsewhere. (I wrote this down to get it right) He expected next years lower budget team to be a

"competitive non-playoff team that can turn a profit, and will develop into a strong contender within a

few years"

He said you can't use the low budget model year after year but it is needed next year to show a potential

buyer (partner) the strength of the franchise.

SO----------sounds like a full re-build mode to me!  (My guess is that agents for the guys we traded, who

may have wanted to return, have been made aware of this so their guys can look elsewhere !)  sad.gif

Check it out. This does not sound like posturing !

Wow, interesting comments.  Thanks for posting that up UNCCaniac. "A low budget competitive non-playoff team"   Silence comes over the crowd as the the air goes out of the balloon.   facepalm2.gif

Any hopes of signing a 3rd line center or another veteran d-man were tossed right out the window. Looks like JR has turned his car around and will not even drive by the FA market.

I still expect him to be busy as a one armed fiddler with the crabs on draft day though. He has salaries to unload....at SOME cost.