The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
TSA

Canes 2010 general off season talk

Well that was difficult to listen to. I guess knowing is better than not knowing. I'd say there are some veterans to move.

I hope this is a one year plan only! It would be a real shame to waste some of the prime years of Staal  and Ward by not putting a playoff team on the ice. Several year of losing, and the support for this organization will decline. The commitmemt will have to go both ways,and the fans will not support a team that is not commited to success. I think that if everyone stays healthy, and JR can make several moves, this could a dangerous playoff team. I hate to think that the "profit" will be because of the all star game instead of a winning team.

Won't surprise me a bit, like I said before, if all the cheap, bottom of the cap range talk discourages season ticket prospects, too.

To lose contributing vets like Cullen and Whit will leave us with a weaker, inexperienced team, lacking in depth.

I can guarantee the above. I was strongly considering season tix for next year, but as soon as JR started talking cheap, well, so did I. We will do our 1 or 2 games and catch the rest on TV. It's going to be a drastically different feeling going into this season than it was last year. The St. Pete KHL team was 2nd in their league this year, they should roll right over us. Going to be a tough year. sick.gif  facepalm2.gif

Nice to see you, CA. Unfortunately, this isn't 2005-06, but it's true you never know...

Wow, interesting comments.  Thanks for posting that up UNCCaniac. "A low budget competitive non-playoff team"   Silence comes over the crowd as the the air goes out of the balloon.   facepalm2.gif

Ouch.

Looks like I'll be going with the NHL Center Ice package next year and watching a lot of other "competitive PLAYOFF teams" playing hockey.

And another year without season tickets.

It's a shame, too. Latest rumors out of Chicago have Byfuglien on the market. Now THAT would be the power forward to get.

[quote name='witchking-ch1 wrote:

coastal_caniac']Wow, interesting comments.  Thanks for posting that up UNCCaniac. "A low budget competitive non-playoff team"   Silence comes over the crowd as the the air goes out of the balloon.  
facepalm2.gif

Ouch.

Looks like I'll be going with the NHL Center Ice package next year and watching a lot of other "competitive PLAYOFF teams" playing hockey.

I will get Center Ice also, so I can watch Cully, wherever he goes. He will always be my favorite "Cane" !! I wish him well.

(We let him go once----and couldn't fill that hole at center-----and we are about to do it again !! )

I wonder how the vets on the team will process the "competitive non-playoff team" idea? Maybe they will surprise us ?

I guess the strategy is to lower fan expectations?

Lets not panic yet. I think JR said  make a profit with a non-playoff  team. That doesn't mean we won't make a run at or get in the playoffs. The southeast except for Washington is rebuilding and isn't that strong.  Sometimes young players can play out of their mind when they are fighting for jobs. I'm a realist and know the early schedule and budget are stacked against us. I'm sure we will make some trades for NHL players that are young and cheaper but who could be ready to break out.  Look how bad last years team was early and when we started to play better we traded a third of our team and still made a run.  IMO it isn't the time to turn our backs on the Canes. They respond to us fans and although it could be a tough year it could just as well be exciting .

JR has been given a tough mandate from PK but you just never know.

Organizational decisions will be made with regard to and in consultation

with Brindy.

He expected next years lower budget team to be a

"competitive non-playoff team that can turn a profit, and will develop into a strong contender within a

few years"

Check it out. This does not sound like posturing !

Wow. I am stunned. This is a ridiculously stupid strategy. Wow. Nearly every team in the freaking league has a shot at the playoffs. There are NO "competive" non playoff teams. The way this league works the only non competitive teams are the cellar dwellers. He is therefor saying we will lose like crazy, but it will be 1-2 a lot.

Where are all of you who wanted to go "never say never" last year when we had zero chance at the playoffs? Where are those of you who say you always play to win. At least last year we had a shot at Taylor Hall. Wow. Right ahead of the draft excitement. Right ahead of the schedule coming out. Did JR spend any time working for BP? Mindblowing.

Brind'Amour will be consulted, and his highness paid in full, but to heck with the loyal fans.

Season ticket holders? You better REALLY like All Star games, or the RBC center itself, cause this organization has decided that not only does it not need to win, but it can go ahead and announce it before the season begins.

Gotta say JR's image just took a huge hit in my eyes. On the heals of such a deflating season to not even try to win. In JR I'm not so sure I trust anymore.

Reconsidering my season tickets. Stupid thing to say.

What did you guys expect him to say? It's no surprise we're going cheap this year, and I don't want to bring up the reasons why, but we are. We are in a rebuild, or as JR likes to put it a "transition period", so we can't be certain what we will get with the kids, but most likely there will be growing pains. He can't come out and say we're going to be a playoff team, even the most optimistic people here still aren't too sure, because of the uncertainties with our rookies. There is always the potential that our rookies click and we do make the playoffs, hence why he says a "competitive non-playoff team," he's leaving the door open for this opportunity. And if we don't make it, not big deal, we didn't expect to in our "transitioning period."

[quote name='remkin wrote:

UNCCaniac8'] Organizational decisions will be made with regard to and
in consultation

with Brindy.

"competitive non-playoff team that can turn a profit, and will develop into a strong contender within a

few years"

Wow. I am stunned. This is a ridiculously stupid strategy. Wow. Nearly every team in the freaking league has a shot at the playoffs. There are NO "competive" non playoff teams. The way this league works the only non competitive teams are the cellar dwellers. He is therefor saying we will lose like crazy, but it will be 1-2 a lot.

Where are all of you who wanted to go "never say never" last year when we had zero chance at the playoffs? Where are those of you who say you always play to win. At least last year we had a shot at Taylor Hall. Wow. Right ahead of the draft excitement. Right ahead of the schedule coming out. Did JR spend any time working for BP? Mindblowing.

Brind'Amour will be consulted, and his highness paid in full, but to heck with the loyal fans.

Season ticket holders? You better REALLY like All Star games, or the RBC center itself, cause this organization has decided that not only does it not need to win, but it can go ahead and announce it before the season begins.

Gotta say JR's image just took a huge hit in my eyes. On the heals of such a deflating season to not even try to win. In JR I'm not so sure I trust anymore.

Hey Remkin, I agree there was some unsettling comments made but one thing I've learned over the years of following this team, is to be patient and wait for all the moves to made before either planning the parade route or throwing in the towel.  When things looked pretty bleak last year, the kids made a huge push and showed they have what it takes to be a contending team.  I agree it will be tough to replicate last year's second half success but its not unreasonable to think it can be done.  Time and time again JR has surprised me by making a move when I least thought he would.  Even with PK limiting his expense account, neither has passed on the perfect opportunity to add an available player they thought would be a difference maker. 

I'm not trying to be an eternal optimist nor will I assume the season is already lost until I see what the team will look like at the end of training camp.  And even then, they have a long road to travel before settling in for the season.  Youth and hunger for success are on our side, I'd much rather play that grueling first half of the schedule with a young hungry team than a group of tired veterans with little to prove.

Hang in there smile.gif

In no way am I giving up on the Canes. I am an avid fan---win or lose. And yes, any team playing hockey (if they are competitive)

has the "potential" to make the playoffs. But in transition, with our budget constraints, fan expectations have to be lowered. But JR

also talked about our strong fanbase, so I guess we have to live up to that expectation. Yes? After all, for three different seasons

after the cup, we expected our team to make the playoffs and they didn't. The year we didn't expect them to---they went to the ECF's.

Remember how much fun that was?

We still have a week or more to see how creative JR can be with the constraints he has been given.

I hope our young Captain is up to showing strong veteran leadership for the whole season if Brindy retires and Whit moves on.

I would feel better if we compromised a little with Whit to get him to stay. (to be the "Nanny"--which I heard him say about

himself in an interview at the World Cup, cause all the guys on his team were so much younger) rolleyes.gif

October on the new schedule looks a bit rough. This season should be interesting, if nothing else.

[quote name='TSA wrote:

remkin
wrote:

UNCCaniac8'] Organizational decisions will be made with regard to and
in consultation

with Brindy.

few years"

Wow. I am stunned. This is a ridiculously stupid strategy. Wow. Nearly every team in the freaking league has a shot at the playoffs.
There are NO "competive" non playoff teams.
The way this league works the only non competitive teams are the cellar dwellers. He is therefor saying we will lose like crazy, but it will be 1-2 a lot.

Hey Remkin, I agree there was some unsettling comments made but one thing I've learned over the years of following this team, is to be patient and wait for all the moves to made before either planning the parade route or throwing in the towel.  When things looked pretty bleak last year, the kids made a huge push and showed they have what it takes to be a contending team.  I agree it will be tough to replicate last year's second half success but its not unreasonable to think it can be done.  Time and time again JR has surprised me by making a move when I least thought he would.  Even with PK limiting his expense account, neither has passed on the perfect opportunity to add an available player they thought would be a difference maker. 

I'm not trying to be an eternal optimist nor will I assume the season is already lost until I see what the team will look like at the end of training camp.  And even then, they have a long road to travel before settling in for the season.  Youth and hunger for success are on our side, I'd much rather play that grueling first half of the schedule with a young hungry team than a group of tired veterans with little to prove.

Hang in there smile.gifI am not giving up. JR is.

During all the post cup competitive non playoff years, never during that time did I hear our general manager say we were going for the non playoffs. Even last year, when the end of year run kept us from lining up Taylor Hall, JR kept playoff hopes alive.

He just did not have to say "non playoff team". He is usually more careful than that. He may not have meant it that way, but in this parity driven league where a team can make the playoffs in the last second and end up in the Stanley Cup Finals with a shot at the title, you just don't say that we will be a non playoff team without saying that you plan to suck out loud.

We closed the season strong, even sold out the last game despite no chance at the playoffs, we have the All Star game in Raleigh, fan interest will start to build and we announce that we will not be making the playoffs next year. Not really trying to.

Look, JR may still make some brilliant moves and we might still make the playoffs anyway, but this is very discouraging and in my opinion the ultra cheap plan is a bad one, but announcing that we will not be making the playoffs was just a tone deaf mistake. We're all human. Take it back, JR.

I wonder what JR's message says to the kids trying to make the team, or the identified core of players who have committed their careers here?  

I listened to JR's comments again (short version) and while some comments are still unsettling, it doesnt sound like he saying this team can't make the playoffs, I interpreted it based on the lack of big name experienced veterans or proven young players, no one (including himself) would define them as a playoff contending team.  He said he hopes they would make the playoffs within the next couple of years, that would include the upcoming season if they come together and play as they did late last season.

The 2006 Canes were a non-playoff team...just saying. 

Bring on that underdog role.... Love seeing our boys make "experts" look like fools for counting us out

Note: Experts reference not aimed at anyone on the board, just the folks they put on the TV smile.gif

Bring on that underdog role.... Love seeing our boys make "experts" look like fools for counting us out

Note: Experts reference not aimed at anyone on the board, just the folks they put on the TV smile.gif

Well in this case the expert counting us out is JR.

I wonder if he felt like he needed to get it out there for some reason, and with the schedule being released and the draft in a couple of days it may be a good time to slip it out. Still have some faith, wish he hadn't made it seem so bleak. Still can't see that being a good move.

Just listened to JR on NHL live and what I get from his comments is that first we are staying at the 7th pick, no movement up, that it would be to expensive and he feels that whomever we get that he will be a good player for us.  Nothing new on Rod, waiting until after the draft, someone asked about Cullen, he was non committal at first however they are aware of our issue at center, especially the 3rd line but...  must wait until July 1st.  Comment about looking for a partner with PK, self imposed salary cap, hope to be competitive next year, going younger, good core players to build around.  That's it in a nut shell.wink.gif

Lets not panic yet. I think JR said  make a profit with a non-playoff  team. That doesn't mean we won't make a run at or get in the playoffs. The southeast except for Washington is rebuilding and isn't that strong.  Sometimes young players can play out of their mind when they are fighting for jobs. I'm a realist and know the early schedule and budget are stacked against us. I'm sure we will make some trades for NHL players that are young and cheaper but who could be ready to break out.  Look how bad last years team was early and when we started to play better we traded a third of our team and still made a run.  IMO it isn't the time to turn our backs on the Canes. They respond to us fans and although it could be a tough year it could just as well be exciting .

JR has been given a tough mandate from PK but you just never know.

I agree. I didn't take JRs comments to be "we won't make the playoffs", just that we won't be considered a playoff contender, but that doesn't mean they won't compete. 99.9% of the time when a team is transitioning to go younger, they aren't talked to be a contender. Doesn't mean the team can't contend, just that no one is going to look at Carolina and say oh yeah, they'll contend for the cup. 

We have the core in place. Its just now removing the vets and bringing in the kids. The team will still compete. Let's face it, their boys, they want to win. They won't be coming into October saying 'we aren't making the playoffs, let's tank".

And interesting tidbit from JR today on Cullen. Just heard him on NHL Live and they asked if he wants to bring Cullen back. His answer: I can't comment until July 1st, but Matt has been a great player for us and we do have that 3rd line center open. However, I can't talk about any player until July 1st. So maybe don't rule him out yet.

The word "unsettling" has been used, and that's a good one.

However, one thing I can't get out of my mind was how I felt about Dec 1 last year.  Here we supposedly had the whole kick-butt band back, and this was gonna be it!

No.

What a letdown that was.

There's nowhere to go in expectations except up, and that's the way JR is pointing us.  So, maybe we'll be surprised?  I dunno.  I'm trying to keep my sanity with this team.

The word "unsettling" has been used, and that's a good one.

However, one thing I can't get out of my mind was how I felt about Dec 1 last year.  Here we supposedly had the whole kick-butt band back, and this was gonna be it!

No.

What a letdown that was.

There's nowhere to go in expectations except up, and that's the way JR is pointing us.  So, maybe we'll be surprised?  I dunno.  I'm trying to keep my sanity with this team.

I cant help but think that lower expectations are part of JR's plan too.  You're right, last year was a complete backfire so the best way to counter that is to keep the expectations low and then see where things progress.  JR must have taken a hard look at the new schedule and reality must have set in. laugh.gif

JR made a comment about a possible free agent back up goaltender being available at a later date, does this mean that Justin Peters has possibly become an interesting trade piece?  Hmmm.....

[quote name='TSA wrote:

wxray1']The word "unsettling" has been used, and that's a good one.

No.

What a letdown that was.

I cant help but think that lower expectations are part of JR's plan too.  You're right, last year was a complete backfire so the best way to counter that is to keep the expectations low and then see where things progress.  JR must have taken a hard look at the new schedule and reality must have set in. laugh.gif

JR made a comment about a possible free agent back up goaltender being available at a later date, does this mean that Justin Peters has possibly become an interesting trade piece?  Hmmm.....I heard that too. I thought it was a very curious comment. Peters is a RFA so maybe they are having trouble with a new contract (has he signed yet?) or maybe we got an offer we can't turn down. JR didn't even say they told Legace they had decided on Peters. As long as the comments aren't prompted by concern over Ward-O's back. Very interesting.

You guys are in denial that he's rebuilding this team, you put your fingers in your ears and go "LALALALLALALA I dont hear you!" Well he's rebuilding the team and his stance is firm, why is this still surprising people.

You guys are in denial that he's rebuilding this team, you put your fingers in your ears and go "LALALALLALALA I dont hear you!" Well he's rebuilding the team and his stance is firm, why is this still surprising people.

What are we denying legend?  This team went into rebuild last season when over half the roster came from Albany.  They did pretty good if I remember correctly, a lot better than their proven, Stanley Cup winning veteran counterparts.  Why is it so hard to even entertain the possibility that the young rebuilding team might actually win a few more games than anyone will give them credit for?  I find it amusing how anyone can predict the outcome of the upcoming season,  before even seeing what the finished team will look like. 

If there's little expectation heading into the season, there's only one way to go... up. wink.gif

The southeast just got a little tougher if USA Today is correct

USA Today's Kevin Allen reports via Twitter the Chicago Blackhawks have traded Dustin Byfuglien, Brent Sopel and Ben Eager to the Atlanta Thrashers

[quote name='TSA wrote:

legend-1']You guys are in denial that he's rebuilding this team, you put your fingers in your ears and go "LALALALLALALA I dont hear you!" Well he's rebuilding the team and his stance is firm, why is this still surprising people.

What are we denying legend?  This team went into rebuild last season when over half the roster came from Albany.  They did pretty good if I remember correctly, a lot better than their proven, Stanley Cup winning veteran counterparts.  Why is it so hard to even entertain the possibility that the young rebuilding team might actually win a few more games than anyone will give them credit for?  I find it amusing how anyone can predict the outcome of the upcoming season,  before even seeing what the finished team will look like. 

If there's little expectation heading into the season, there's only one way to go... up. wink.gifThe one's in denial are the ones who want to sign this big name or that big name and try to rebuild the team the New York Rangers way. It's just odd seeing the same old responses to new quotes as if it's news theres a strong possibility we are going to tank next season. If we do better then fine, but geez to actually get in a tiff over the fact even our GM says we might suck seems ridicolous. We all know it whats the big deal if he even says it?