The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
carolina_kat

Time for a bold move II..........

I don't think you're so far off with your thinking.  We have some interesting pieces, plenty of picks and a surplus of young goalies in the sytem right now so anything is possible.  I posted this in the draft thread but based on JR's comments in this article from NHL.com, it sounds like he has some ideas and goals of his own already set.

I would gladly throw a ton of seconds, our first, a near ready prospect ?Tlusty, and just about any prospect not named Boychuk or McBain that it took to move up and take T. Hall.

My question is this. Has this ever been done? Has a team given up a future Crosby, Malkin, Ovechkin, etc. for a ton of lower picks? Seems unlikely. Now if we had two first rounders cough Whitney cough....

If you guys want the top 5 picks you better be ready to lose an NHL player (No Brindy nor Sammy will cut it), one of the prospects from this year AND a 2nd. I cant think of a way that's worth it to us, because of the players we got left are mostly ones we want to keep...minus Cole but no one wants him.

I would gladly throw a ton of seconds, our first, a near ready prospect ?Tlusty, and just about any prospect not named Boychuk or McBain that it took to move up and take T. Hall.

My question is this. Has this ever been done? Has a team given up a future Crosby, Malkin, Ovechkin, etc. for a ton of lower picks? Seems unlikely. Now if we had two first rounders cough Whitney cough....

Yes it has  well at least the #1 was traded but not for a bunch of lower rounds.  Florida has traded their #1 pick TWICE. 

They traded it to Columbus in 2002 for Columbus's first round pick along with an option to switch first round picks in 2003.    Florida got Jay Bouwmeester at #3.

In 2003 they traded their 1st pick and their 73rd pick to Pittsburgh for Pittsburghs #3 pick, their 2nd round (55th pick) and Mikael Samualsson.  Florida took Nathan Horton that year with the #3 pick.  That year we were the worst team in the league and everyone remembers Pittsburgh getting the first pick with Fleury but it was Florida who won the lottery and traded it to Pittsburgh. 

So there you have it, the two times the #1 pick was traded, they did it to drop from #1 to #3. 

I don't think any GM is going to give up Hall/Seguin for anything besides the ridiculous (think Staal, E.). They would be roasted by their fanbase. I do think we could possibly trade up to four-six, however.

IMO the draft is way over rated, usually only a few of the top 20 guys make a impact in the NHL, alot of guys have problems paying their dues in the lower divisions. Yes their are a couple of guys that may make it but you just never know in Hockey what will happen.I myself would rather make a big trade for someone whom is young but has already made a name for himself in the NHL!

1st rounders are not always guarantees. Look at the Red Wings:

Datsyuk- 6th rounder 171st pick

Zetterberg- 7th rounder 210th pick

Holmstrom- 10th rounder 257th pick

Sometimes it is all about analyzing the draft and finding that player that fits your team's style of play.

The Red Wings are experts for finding that diamond in the rough when it comes to players later in the draft.

I don't think any GM is going to give up Hall/Seguin for anything besides the ridiculous (think Staal, E.). They would be roasted by their fanbase. I do think we could possibly trade up to four-six, however.

That is a much more realistic expectation than being able to get the #1.  In 2004 we had the 8th pick and traded up to #4 which belonged to Columbus.  We took Andrew Ladd with that pick.  (and by the way Columbus chose Alexandre Picard with their #8).  We also sent Arturs Irbe to Columbus for "future considerations".

Enough of the nonsense,   Here is the bold move that I propose,  tell me what you think and what we should give up.

With all the good young guys we have right now,  and all the number 2 picks we have in the upcoming draft,  I would like to see us try to put a package together for the number one pick.   If Edmonton or Florida should win the lottery,  I think both of them have so many needs that they may be willing to give up their pick for our number 1 (which probably will be the 7th pick),  both need a goalie (Flordia can't afford Vokoun), so maybe we throw in Peters and then a couple of our number 2's.  I like Peters, but to get the number one pick,  I think it would take more than just some of our number 2;s,  unless we threw them all in.    Most of the number 2's should be near the end the round.   With the way the team is now,  I think we should give up a few potential good players for one potential great player.

If Boston (Toronto) the lottery or stays with the second pick,  I don't see them willing to deal,  so it would have to be with Edmonton or Florida.

I actually like this. Seeing what Peters was capable of, it would really suck for him to be stuck behind Cam Ward longer than necessary. Even if we can't trade to the number one spot, this may get us to second or third spot. Sounds good to me.

We can be as low as #8 and as high as... #3 right? or #4 I have no clue how it works...
A team can move up no more than 4 spots and back no more than 1 spot.

We sit in at the 7th pick right now.

If we win the lottery (we have a 4.7% chance) then we can move up to #3. 

If any team currently in 1-6 wins, we stay where we are because it would just shuffle the teams in front of us.

If a team that is currently in #8 through #11 wins, then we would be bumped back to #8 because they would move up 4 spots and that would put them ahead of us.

If a team in #12 thru #14 wins, we stay where we are because they will move up 5 places but still be behind us.

Clear?   ....as mud?  The NHL doesn't like to make things easy to understand.

To sum it up we either want to win so we can move up

or

We don't want Thrashers, Wild, Rangers, or Stars to win because that would move us back to #8.

Anything else does not change our position.