The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
TSA

Player exit interviews

Chip is also adding some tidbits of info here:

Chips tweets

Surprisingly even more info than the Canes are Tweeting at this point in time.

Thanks for adding that link.

No decision yet for Brind'Amour. "I've never quit anything in my life. If I was to walk away today I would feel like I was quitting."

*hides from Remkin*

Sounds like Brindy is headed for a buyout. That's too bad, but understandable.

The quote re: Whitney is different from their FB update, which said in part "...He said his body feels as good as it did three years ago..." - hey JR, hint, hint?

lol at Manny: 

Legace said he will continue to play "Until they tell me the fat goalie can't play anymore. The game is still fun."

Manny Legace: "I'd like to stay. That's a decision they'll have to make." Also noted Justin Peters played well when called up from Albany.

For those who don't Twitter:

Brett Carson was asked how Brandon Sutter managed just two penalty minutes this season. Is Sutter sneaky? "He's soft," Carson quipped.

Pat Dwyer expects dogfight for positions in training camp: "There will be changes made around here. That was made very clear to us."

Sutter on wearing 'A' at Boston: "I was a little surprised. ... Obviously it's an honor. But you're expected to be a leader no matter what."

and from the Canes Facebook:

UFA's Manny Legace and Brian Pothier have both indicated they would like to return next season, but have not yet discussed their futures with management.

I'll just keep adding as they pop up:

Tom Kostopoulos liked Caniacs' loyalty in 14-game winless streak. "In some places, you lose two in a row and you're afraid to leave home."

Alex Picard said was just getting in groove when he blocked shot and broke a finger March 18. Said he loved short stay with Canes.

Ruutu on team's slow start: "In this league you can’t take nights off. You have to have bruises after games." Says shoulder healing nicely.

Tuomo Ruutu surgery was to "tighten up" shoulder but said he is feeling good and will be fully healthy for next season.

Also according to Twitter, videos are starting to post on Canes Vision.

[quote name='TSA wrote:

Faceoff-ch1']Chip is also adding some tidbits of info here:

Surprisingly even more info than the Canes are Tweeting at this point in time.

Thanks for adding that link.

No decision yet for Brind'Amour. "I've never quit anything in my life. If I was to walk away today I would feel like I was quitting."

*hides from Remkin*Oye *head slap* this guy just doesnt know when it's over.

Well, the blog version of Brindy's quote is quite a bit different than the Twitter version: rolleyes.gif

“My whole mindset is that I’ve never quit on anything in my life,” said Brind’Amour of potentially ending his career with time left on his contract. “To quit something that I haven’t finished is kind of weighing on me a little bit. If I was to walk away today, I’d be in my mind almost quitting. That’s kind of why I need some time.”

Paints a slightly different picture. Unrealistic to expect him to announce his retirement today. Sounds like he's thinking about it though.

And I just love hearing these quotes from players:

“I’m at a situation right now where the financial side is not even close to the most important thing to me,” said Pothier, 32. “This is the kind of environment that I’d love to stay in. Not only at the rink but outside the rink, this city seems like it would be a phenomenal fit for my family.”

Anyone remember the days when <one of the media outlets> did player surveys on "where do you NOT want to play" and Carolina was on top five list?

The Tom K comment just sums it all up. This is a great place to play, and if he thinks the fans are fantastic, and loyal after a 14 game losing streak, then he won't believe what he sees/hears in a playoff gameroll.gif

Not sure what to make of Whitney's comments about fully expecting to be traded at the deadline. Rutherford painted an entirely different picture. Rutherford said he asked Ray once about waiving his NTC, and Ray told him "no". Rutherford said he never approached him about it again. So, just how did Ray expect to be traded? Somebody's lying.........

Not sure what to make of Whitney's comments about fully expecting to be traded at the deadline. Rutherford painted an entirely different picture. Rutherford said he asked Ray once about waiving his NTC, and Ray told him "no". Rutherford said he never approached him about it again. So, just how did Ray expect to be traded? Somebody's lying.........

I heard it differently.  Rutherford said that Ray told him he didn't really want to go but he would waive it for the good of the team and Rutherford said he did not receive an offer that he thought was up to par with what he thought Ray was worth.   In other words, no one was offering a first round pick.   That was in one of the post trade deadline interviews. 

I think once the LA deal was squashed, Ray probably expected to be approached again since he was the talk of all the media.  This is why he was surprised.  Weren't we all surprised?

To me, Ray seemed a bit cranky in that interview.  It was not the typical "Ray" we are used to hearing.  Perhaps he was expecting some type of conversation  with Rutherford in his talk that didn't happen?

[quote name='Faceoff-ch1 wrote:

TheBigKahuna']Not sure what to make of Whitney's comments about fully expecting to be traded at the deadline. Rutherford painted an entirely different picture. Rutherford said he asked Ray once about waiving his NTC, and Ray told him "no". Rutherford said he never approached him about it again. So, just how did Ray expect to be traded? Somebody's lying.........

I heard it differently.  Rutherford said that Ray told him he didn't really want to go but he would waive it for the good of the team and Rutherford said he did not receive an offer that he thought was up to par with what he thought Ray was worth.   In other words, no one was offering a first round pick.   That was in one of the post trade deadline interviews. 

I think once the LA deal was squashed, Ray probably expected to be approached again since he was the talk of all the media.  This is why he was surprised.  Weren't we all surprised?

To me, Ray seemed a bit cranky in that interview.  It was not the typical "Ray" we are used to hearing.  Perhaps he was expecting some type of conversation  with Rutherford in his talk that didn't happen?

Agree - not typical Ray - probably frustration - same questions - old story!  Glad he finished the season with us and I do hope he is back for next season!

Just my own opinion here, but I think Brindy will be back for his final year, assuming JR doesnt just flat out say...NO thanks. Maybe he doesnt want to end his career on a groin injury and the worst in the league (I think) 2 years in a row. (The whole pride thing, i would guess). Or maybe he will test the waters at training camp, and base his decision on his performance vs the other players? Just the ramblings of a poster on a message board, but I would honestly be surprised if Brindy isnt back next season. And before they get pointed out to me, Im aware of the ga-jillion reasons this board could come up with for why he should hang 'em up now...LOL

Ok...flame away on me....

Just my own opinion here, but I think Brindy will be back for his final year, assuming JR doesnt just flat out say...NO thanks. Maybe he doesnt want to end his career on a groin injury and the worst in the league (I think) 2 years in a row. (The whole pride thing, i would guess). Or maybe he will test the waters at training camp, and base his decision on his performance vs the other players? Just the ramblings of a poster on a message board, but I would honestly be surprised if Brindy isnt back next season. And before they get pointed out to me, Im aware of the ga-jillion reasons this board could come up with for why he should hang 'em up now...LOL

Ok...flame away on me....

No flaming from me, Im in complete agreement.  Regardless of where the fans stand on this topic, I dont see JR wanting to force any buy out and I dont see Brind'Amour just walking away from the game like this.  Maybe it'll take all summer and even a good look around at training camp seeing all the young competition fighting for roster spots for Rod to help make his decision, or maybe its important to him to finish out his contract/career to the best of his ability.

And yes, I too am aware of the ga-jillion reasons everyone has for him to hang 'em up now so there's no need to reply with any of them.

Here's the thing. It is clear that even JR has had it with Brind'Amour having a significant role on the team. Any injury excuse is long past credible or relative. Rod is not coming back to even third line duty. 

So, if Rod wants to come back and center the 4th line for 6 minutes a night and collect his paycheck, fine, but let's not pretend that this will somehow salvage his honor. He will be even less relevant. 

The idea that "just one more run" will make it all good, and "I never give up" is the kind of thinking that gets a hard charger like Rod to where he's been in his career, but is also the classic thinking that sets up the "doesn't know when to leave" that leads to the sad reality of guys holding on way too long. I understand Rod wanting to go out on top, but that ship sailed 2-3 years ago. Playing more and more into old age, and especially with a fast young team, will make more and more of a mockery of the proud ship Brind'Amour. 

Personally, if he wants to roll out there on the 4th line, I doubt it will hold the team back seriously, (the way being 2nd line an Captain and leading the league in worst plus minus did). But seriously, how will this help Rod's legacy? Don't do it Rod. Go out with class. 

If he decides to stay, it could be horrible to watch. Like a prize fighter who doesn't know when to quit getting beat up every night in the ring. Just heart wrenching to watch....I hope I don't have to witness that.

About a year ago, after the playoff run Mo made this statement (and I mentioned it here) He said for years

the team and franchise were trying to sell themselves to the community. But something had changed and now

this had become the fan's team., and players and coaches would come and go.

Reason I repeated that is because Pothier said this on his exit interview:  "This fan base is unique. Most fan

bases I have played in are bandwagon fans. They are with you when you are winning but the stands empty

out when you start losing. Here, the city takes ownership of this team and it is their team.  Fans are part of

team, instead of just watching the team play ! "    

Quite a compliment to the Caniac Nation, I think.  biggrin.gif

GO CANES !!

I'm in the minority who will be ECSTATIC if Rod comes back next year. Yah, his numbers have flat out sucked these past two years, but he can still be productive. Part of me thinks that the recovery from the ACL tear and his legal battle over his children were some major outside influences into his dropoff the past two seasons. It's his decision...and I know that most of us (except the diehards who want to throw him out with the garbage) will support him whatever he decides.

Sounds, by Rod's exit interview, that he is pondering the decision. I support whatever decision he makes.

He has earned the right to play one more year or retire. I know he and JR will discuss this, at length and

come to a decision.

I figure he doesn't need my (what expression in hockey would equate with 'arm chair quarterbacking' ? )

input.  Guess we will have to wait and see. But I wish people  would talk about him with the respect 

his long career deserves , even if they wish he would retire. (in the military, you don't disrespect your

aging veterans).

As Jim Rutherford said. when you have been playing hockey since age 5, it's hard to think about doing anything else. All these guys know is playing hockey. It's a huge adjustment for Rod to make. I just hope that if he does play next year, his play does not hurt the team on the score sheet.

It's hard for me to imagine a Carolina Hurricanes team without Rod on it.  I would like to see him finish his contract for a couple of reasons, one being that I know he'd feel better about himself for completing his obligation that is spelled out in the contract.  Another reason is that I would hate for his career to end the way his season did - sitting out of his last opportunity to play.

I feel like his face-off skills are pretty important, as well as his penalty killing skills, plus he is a good influence on the young guys - they look up to him and he has a lot of tricks-of-the-trade to help them be the best they can.  Sutter has benefitted in the face-off circle because of him and I feel Staal still needs to work on that aspect of his game.

I'd like to see him finish his contract and take the time to do whatever he feels like he needs to help the future of the team.

I like what JR had to say.  I am really excited about the future of our team and organization.  I can't wait to see the young guys take control of the east and bring us our second Stanley Cup Championship.