The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
remkin

The Case for More Veteran Offensive Help Next Year

[quote name='davidrabbit wrote:

rocheccw']If I was JR....

I would try to get Cullen back, and I would throw everything I've got to get defenceman
. Resign Whitney to the Glen Wesley one year renewable pre-retirement deal. Draft Nino. Trade Cole or Sammy & a 2nd to move back up into the late first round & take a Defenceman. Brindy = retire or buyout. Resign Pothier, & Babchuk or Picard.

Lines:

Whitney, Staal, Ruutu

Jokinen, Sutter, Boychuk

Cole or Sammy, Cullen, Nino

LaRose, Dwyer, Kostopoulos

Pitkanen, Gleason

McBain, Volchenkov

Pothier, Carson

Babchuk or Picard as 7th D.

C Ward

Peters

I can dream right?
pimp.gif

I like adding Volchenkov altho he reportedly is asking $4.5m per for 3 or 4 years.  In the past, JR has only paid

that much to guys already in the organization.  With that figure in mind, why necessarily would you bring back Pothier?

I would bring Pothier back only if it was a cheap one year deal. During his exit interview he said it was no longer about the money, but being happy with where you live. He made 2.5M last year. I would offer him a 1 year deal between 1M-1.5M. I would even consider given him a NTC if he played for 1M or less for 1 year. Never hurts to have another steady veteren D in your 3rd pairing. See Jay McKee in Pittsburgh.

JR will probably avoid the Volchenkov spend-a-thon, but it would be nice to add a young steady D who blocks an insane amount of shots.

That fourth D spot will likely belong to either Pothier or Babchuk. Carson should be one half of the third pairing. His partner will be either Harrison or Picard.

Pitkanen - McBain

Gleason - Babchuk/Pothier

Harrison/Picard - Carson

I really don't see the Canes adding any FA defensemen this summer unless one or two of our RFA defenseman - i.e. Carson, Picard and Borer - are traded or if both Babchuk and Pothier end up elsewhere.

I would bring Pothier back only if it was a cheap one year deal. During his exit interview he said it was no longer about the money, but being happy with where you live. He made 2.5M last year. I would offer him a 1 year deal between 1M-1.5M. I would even consider given him a NTC if he played for 1M or less for 1 year. Never hurts to have another steady veteren D in your 3rd pairing. See Jay McKee in Pittsburgh.

JR will probably avoid the Volchenkov spend-a-thon, but it would be nice to add a young steady D who blocks an insane amount of shots.

Pothier was -8 in 20 games for the 'Canes.  And that was fairly reflective of his defensive ability.  So, whether or not he liked it

here shouldn't enter into management's decision.  I don't know of anyone who hasn't been happy here.  Granted, players don't

particularly seek out Raleigh as a hockey destination, but once they get here - they're fine.  Let's raise the bar a bit ... this isn't

Atlanta, for goodness sakes.   The Jay McKee thing is completely different because he's basically being paid by St. Louis.

There are a lot of very good UFA defensemen available this summer -- while the forward crop is kinda horrible.  Historically,

JR's approach to signing free agents usually falls ... on a scale of 1-10 ... near a 3+ or 4-ish.  Definitely underwhelming.  With

so many of  the 'Canes prospects being forwards (and only McBain having good upside among the near-ready d-men) NOW

is the time to add  a legitimate top-4 defenseman like Paul Martin.  If JR can dump the contracts of Cole and Samsonov, he

should also add Volchenkov.  The 'Canes won't win with marginal talent like Babchuk, Picard, and Pothier playing top-6 roles.

The arrival on the scene of McBain is a Godsend. Without him we would have to fashion a top 4 in need of 2 solid defenseman. Now we need one, or none.

JR has indicated that his attention will be on the defense, suggesting he will try to pick up one solid top 4 guy. The key is the top 4 since they get by far the most minutes. We can get by with Harrison/Carson/Borer etc in the 5-6 slot. Babchuk? Maybe, provides a cheap option if he is not trouble in the locker room and has figured out his own end a bit better.

I tend to be an offense first guy, probably due to really getting with this team the year we won the cup with a high octane, deep offensive group, and somewhat of a defense by committee. Not only did that team win the cup, but were very fun to watch.

With McBain and Pitkanen we have two puck moving offensive types. Pair them with Gleason and perhaps a relative value stay at home guy with good defense first pedigree. Then let the Harrison/Carson/Borer/ guy we get for Babchuk/ etc battle it out for the 5-6 spots.

The spend the money left over on a good winger and Cullen.

Canes website, By Paul Branecky on JR:

He’s also expecting to steer clear of the initial free-agent frenzy in July.

”Sometimes a very useful player falls into September that ended up not going where they wanted or don’t get the deal that they want,” he said. “We’ll keep our eyes open there, but we’re not going to look at free agents in the early going.”

I hope this is just posturing, but this sounds like JR is planning on making up the team from existing pieces. Oh, he admits he might add a "useful" player that slips through to September, but notes that that happens sometimes.

JR, listen, this is THE time to add a solid free agent. Especially if you can move the utterly unproductive Cole and Sammy, you will have shed tons of salary. You can afford to get that one guy to bring it all together up front. But must that guy always be a cast off that slips the cracks? Don't get me wrong, in general that approach has served us pretty well. But this year is the exception to the rule. Once the young guys, including our new pick really round out in future years, then we will have a solid young team that you can add your value pickups to round out. Now we have a bunch of guys with potential and only ONE forward with proven year after year productivity.

Don't let next year hang on a wish and a prayer. This team needs at least one if not two more forwards that we can count on to get the puck in the net, or next year could be a long one.

”Sometimes a very useful player falls into September that ended up not going where they wanted or don’t get the deal that they want,” he said. “We’ll keep our eyes open there, but we’re not going to look at free agents in the early going.”

And it will be another sad offseason for the team.  I know JR is hand cuffed alittle because we have to have our own salary cap.  Another sad and buzzless offseason will lower the team's confidence and reduce interest of the paying fans.  The high energy of the 3rd line this season will be great but the team definitely needs a winger or 2 that can compliment Staal.  JR is great GM but he continues to do little to help the team.

A Volchenkov - Gleason pairing would be just downright nasty!  I think it would be one of the top pairings in the league.  Add an offensive minded Pits - McBain pairing, and we could have one of the most effective defenses in the league. 

$4.5 million a year is a lot, but I would rather spend extra on defense than on offense this year.  Our offense was above league average last year.  Our defense was just downright terrible.

I hope this is just posturing, but this sounds like JR is planning on making up the team from existing pieces. Oh, he admits he might add a "useful" player that slips through to September, but notes that that happens sometimes.

Throwing money at a problem isn't going to fix our team.   

[quote name='legend-1 wrote:

remkin']Canes website, By Paul Branecky on JR:

I hope this is just posturing, but this sounds like JR is planning on making up the team from existing pieces. Oh, he admits he might add a "useful" player that slips through to September, but notes that that happens
sometimes

Throwing money at a problem isn't going to fix our team.   Might as well get rid of Staal and Ward then, and go with all "value" players.

Sure JR can find diamond in the rough occasionally such as Jokinen. But then there's Anson Carter, recycled Vasicek, recycled Cole, Eaves, Hamiltion, even the long term performance of Samsonov, and other low cost projects that just never quite worked out. It's fine to layer these kinds of guys in, but to win we need at least a few solid veteran producers. We can't always get the best guys to work at minimum wage.

While dropping a monster salary on an elite guy like Chicago did with Hossa would not be wise, there has to be a guy that JR can come up with that is a relative value, but still in the range of a lower end first line forward. 

Not to throw one cliche' on top of your "throw money at the problem" line, but some would argue you get what you pay for. I think both statements are overly simplistic, but the truth lies in the middle, but I'm getting the feeling that this team might be leaning to the cheap side of things. Not that a bunch of young guys with a dream can't win, but it is longer odds to win than those of a team balanced with some stars, some solid vets, and some youth. 

We don't need to lurch into full on rebuild with young players, nonproducing and/or aged vets and value projects picked up off the scrap heap. We can do better. 

well could 2011 off season be the season JR finally makes a play in FA? The only FAs that are up they JR will want to re-sign will be Pitkanen and Sutter. Jokinen and Larose will be maybes depending on this coming seasons play. On top of that Brindy. Cole, and Samsonov's salaries will for sure be off the books with no buyouts, dropping about 9 mil in cap space. On top of that we will have another top 10 pick in the draft.

Now if JR decides to make a trade to get players the Senators, Penguins, and Blackhawks will be looking to move some salary. Obviously we wont be needing Spezza who senators may look to move. As far as the blackhawks, they will be looking to move those older big salary guys like Campbell. We dont have a want for him but Kane would be great. His cap hit will be 6.25 a year through 2014. Of course I think this will be the year Staal will be available from Pitt. I would love to get him but that is if Eric wants to play with his brother.

I agree with you remkin, that shopping the scrap heap is not a long term solution. But i would rather have JR and his bargain hunting style then Glen Sather and the New York Rangers- go into rebuild, only to sign veteran talent (Holik, Jagr, Gaborik), and utterly fail to fix the actual problems his team had.

Having said that, in principle you are correct, but i would not want to pin my hopes on "that free agent". Lets just build from within. The talent we currently have is something that most teams envy. I say sign some role players, but not a guy who is brought here with the intention to totally revitalize our team. Let the prospects do that. 

Another quote from JR .... "it might take another year."  To me, this tells the tale.  JR will go into the season with the status quo, and plans to cycle the younger players in and out of the lineup as their play and\or injuries warrant.  I don't see Cole bringing back anything, so why not (from his perspective) roll the dice and see if he can put together a contract year surprise.  Sammy may have more trade value but same thing as Cole.  I don't see JR doing much on offense other than possibly addressing the third line center position.  Bring back Cullen or someone similar in style and ability, then plug in a few younger players to fill in the remaining few slots.  I still think Brindy comes back, as JR has left the door open.

I think JR addresses the defense in the draft.  Too many good young D-men to pass up, IMO, particularly in the first round.  I'm thinking he looks for a replacement for Pitkanen going into the 2011-12 season, when his contract is up.  I think Babs is in the lineup this year, at least until the trade deadline. So, the only need here is a top 4-guy. 

I'll admit, JR could go with young players in that third line center position, but I think we have to have a top 4 defensemen.  That's a fairly cheap first year, then in 2011-12 you really round out the team as Pitkanen, Cole, Sammy, Brindy, Larose, and Jokinen's salaries all come off the books, and he has tons of cap space to complete the rebuild. 

I agree that we might not get much for Cole or Sammy. Heck, we might not be able to move them at all. But if we keep them, then we have a glut of wingers, none of which are proven year after year point producers, except possibly an aging Whitney, who we don't even technically have. Further, if we do sign Whitney and keep Cole and Sammy we have no place to play a single young gun in their natural position.

Jokinen/Staal/Ruutu

Cole/Sutter/Whitney

Samsonov/open/LaRose

That just makes no sense. There is no rebuild there, and we still need a center. Too many wingers.

I say keep one of Whitney/Sammy/Cole. Take your pick, but we still need Cullen.

OK, this is a different angle, thus the separate post.

Someone please tell me where I'm going wrong here. As is stands we have jettisoned these salaries:

Corvo, Cullen, Wallin, Walker, Ward, Whitney.

Not sure how Brind'Amour's retirement would affect things. If we were able to move Cole and Sammy we would have lost the salaries of:

Corvo, Cullen, Wallin, Walker, Ward, Whitney, Cole and Sammy, ?Brind'Amour

I know we have to replace some defenseman, but why could we not get at least one decent veteran free agent up front? Again, not a big big gun, but a solid point producer?

Someone please tell me where I'm going wrong here. As is stands we have jettisoned these salaries:

Not sure how Brind'Amour's retirement would affect things. If we were able to move Cole and Sammy we would have lost the salaries of:

I know we have to replace some defenseman, but why could we not get at least one decent veteran free agent up front? Again, not a big big gun, but a solid point producer?

Rem I don’t think your going wrong at all. This could happen but I tend to see things a little more like coastal. I just don’t think we will trade away all our vets for someone else's vets and unless a FA who is young, a NHLer and has lots of potential shows up I doubt we will spend the money in the free agent frenzy.

I expect either Whitney,Cole, Sammy and Legace will be gone but not all them. I expect we will shop for a D-man or resign Pots. I expect next  season we will begin to move our vets near trade deadline if they are not producing

I expect we will have a shuttle bus service between Charlotte and Raleigh as we try out and get prospects more experience and then at trade deadline we move those we don’t think fit.  I could even see us shuttling Peters and another goalie prospect as back up.

But I don’t know which way we are headed. I expect moves around the draft might give us a clue. 

[quote name='remkin wrote:

legend-1 wrote:

remkin']Canes website, By Paul Branecky on JR:

I hope this is just posturing, but this sounds like JR is planning on making up the team from existing pieces. Oh, he admits he might add a "useful" player that slips through to September, but notes that that happens
sometimes

Throwing money at a problem isn't going to fix our team.   
Might as well get rid of Staal and Ward then, and go with all "value" players.

Sure JR can find diamond in the rough occasionally such as Jokinen. But then there's Anson Carter, recycled Vasicek, recycled Cole, Eaves, Hamiltion, even the long term performance of Samsonov, and other low cost projects that just never quite worked out. It's fine to layer these kinds of guys in, but to win we need at least a few solid veteran producers. We can't always get the best guys to work at minimum wage.

While dropping a monster salary on an elite guy like Chicago did with Hossa would not be wise, there has to be a guy that JR can come up with that is a relative value, but still in the range of a lower end first line forward. 

Not to throw one cliche' on top of your "throw money at the problem" line, but some would argue you get what you pay for. I think both statements are overly simplistic, but the truth lies in the middle, but I'm getting the feeling that this team might be leaning to the cheap side of things. Not that a bunch of young guys with a dream can't win, but it is longer odds to win than those of a team balanced with some stars, some solid vets, and some youth. 

We don't need to lurch into full on rebuild with young players, nonproducing and/or aged vets and value projects picked up off the scrap heap. We can do better. 

Yea we never signed Staal nor Ward from FA, we bred them. We would have to be moronic to allow them to goto FA, which is why for the most part either you get yourself role players in FA who didnt have room on their current team OR you have the guys who think thier worth 2 mil more then they really are and generally get thier pay day and suck until the next contract season. We don't need an ego, your right we need a first line winger however your not going to get him in FA your going to have to trade for him. Right now we need to see what we have rather then deal a prospect who we're unsure of.

remkin wrote:

legend-1']Throwing money at a problem isn't going to fix our team.   

Might as well get rid of Staal and Ward then, and go with all "value" players.

Yea we never signed Staal nor Ward from FA, we bred them. We would have to be moronic to allow them to goto FA, which is why for the most part either you get yourself role players in FA who didnt have room on their current team OR you have the guys who think thier worth 2 mil more then they really are and generally get thier pay day and suck until the next contract season. We don't need an ego, your right we need a first line winger however your not going to get him in FA your going to have to trade for him. Right now we need to see what we have rather then deal a prospect who we're unsure of.I am willing to trade Cole and Samsonov....

Are there no good free agent pick ups ever?

I'm thinking Cory Stillman was a free agent pickup. Was Ray Whitney when he came here?

I'm thinking maybe there's a guy like that out there, but frankly I don't know, maybe not.

If not, what is our top line?

ray whitney was a FA as well.  Guys like that wont slip through like that again as we wont have as many buyouts and FAs as we did that summer.

I am willing to trade Cole and Samsonov....

I'm thinking Cory Stillman was a free agent pickup. Was Ray Whitney when he came here?

I'm thinking maybe there's a guy like that out there, but frankly I don't know, maybe not.

Your gonna have to be willing to part with alot more then 2 of our 3 worst players.

Cory nor Ray are the caliber of player your trying to acquire at the present time. Your looking for a St. Louis, Gaborik, Kovalchuk...

remkin']I am willing to trade Cole and Samsonov....

Your gonna have to be willing to part with alot more then 2 of our 3 worst players.

Cory nor Ray are the caliber of player your trying to acquire at the present time. Your looking for a St. Louis, Gaborik, Kovalchuk...

The bigger question is what team(s) would be interested in taking Cole and Samsonov off of our hands?  You will have to package other player(s) to make any kind of deal concerning Cole and Sammy!!!  Unless that happens nothing is going to happen, short and simple.....wink.gif

remkin']I am willing to trade Cole and Samsonov....

Well I was kind of joking about getting a top guy in exchange for Cole and Sammy, but my fault for not putting one of those faces up there wink.gif.

My point is to jettison those salaries, then sign a guy.

Cory and Ray of the cup year are exactly the kind of player I'm trying to acquire. Well actually Cory ended up being far better than what I'm looking for, but I'd gladly take it. Ray had 55 points in 63 games for .87 points per game. Had he played a full season at that rate he would have ranked as the #45 forward in the league in points, almost exactly what I am asking for. Cory, well he had 76 points in 72 games for more than a point per game, ranking him one ahead of Vinny LeCavlier but with 8 fewer games. If he played the full season he would have been #19 on the points list for forwards.

I've not called for the super elite forward. Others have, but I've asked for a decent, but respectable player that legitimately belongs on the top line. Based on pure numbers there are about 90 top line forwards in the NHL. I'm asking for say, #50. That's not St.Louis or Kovulchuk. That's my exact point. There has to be a level of veteran free agent forward between Cole and the top 20 elite forwards. That's what we will be missing next year if we don't do this.

One thing to take into consideration is that many salaries go up next season: Staal (+1.5), Ward (+1.5), Ruutu (+1.0), Gleason (+0.5), Pitkanen (+0.5), LaRose and Jokinen (+0.4 each), and Kostopoulos (+0.25). That's 6.05 right there. (There are no salaries set to decrease.)

As you mentioned, defensivemen will need to be replaced, so exchanging Corvo (2.75), Wallin (1.725), and Ward (2.5) with (for example) McBain (0.685), Carson (~0.55?) and Babchuk (~1.5?), has a net savings of 4.24.

And the forwards will need to be replaced, as well. Exchanging Walker (2.5), Cole (3.0) and Samsonov (2.8) for a minimum-wager (.550) and two young hopefuls (.875 each) will save  6.0. (Unless Cole and Samsonov are bought out - which would cost 1.93 for two years, or 3.87 total, meaning a savings of only 2.13.)

Going with Cullen (again, just for example) resigning for what he made last season - no savings there.

So then it's just left to exchange Whitney's salary (3.55) for that shiny new winger. Taking Whitney's salary, plus the defensive savings (4.24) and forward savings (6.0), minus the increase to other salaries (6.05), there's 7.74 left.

Sure - should be enough, given that the salary of the type of player you seem interested in (I am guessing a bit here) is around 5.0. Even leaving 2.74 left over.

Except as I recall (and I could be wrong about the exact number) but roster salary was about 2.0 over the "internal limit" last season, and they are looking to not just get back to that limit, but to keep it even lower in order to "recover" some of this year's loses. Which would likely not only take care of that little "excess", but would eat a good chunk out of the 5.0 available for the winger.

Now, I left out a few minor details - Brind'Amour being the most obvious. But also that whatever way they go with the backup goalie, a slight raise is likely in order. And realistically, if Samsonov or Cole are traded, it will likely be with some salary coming back the other way - probably raising the price of their (or someone's) replacements and lowering the savings. (And potentially tying up some of the roster spots for the youngsters.) So even if Brind'Amour does retire, all that will likely even out anyway.

Not saying it's not possible, but I don't think there's quite as much money available as it might appear. And  a lot of things (favorable trade partners, a good deal on a free agent that will fit) have to fall into place. And it creates a situation where money is set to be spent on a new top line guy, regardless of how the season goes. (How the team gels and how play-off likely they really are, and how well the various youngsters come along.) So it could well be money basically wasted if things go badly. Or spent poorly if one of the youngsters could have taken that spot, and a different, more useful, FA brought in instead.

It makes more sense to me to wait until closer to the trade deadline to decide if someone like that should be brought it, than to make the move over the summer. That way, the money is only spent if it is likely to be worthwhile, it can be tailored to what the needs actually are as the season unfolds, and, of course, there will be less money spent at that point in the season anyway.