The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
Whaler1

2010 NHL Entry Draft Thread

Good stuff, thanks for posting.  Krad, did you mean for the hyperlinks for the players you listed to actually take you somewhere? 
No cc. I just did a copy and paste from the CSB list and didn't feel like retyping all the names lol

Side note: Unless someone beats me to it, I intend on posting all the links to the final draft rankings once they are published. I also know we already have a 2010 1st Round Mock Draft thread, but since the season is over and tanking, drafting Hall, Seguin or Fowler are moot points now, I thought it was time to get a fresher and more realistic perspective on what is available and what JR might be looking at.

[quote name='krad wrote:

coastal_caniac']Good stuff, thanks for posting.  Krad, did you mean for the hyperlinks for the players you listed to actually take you somewhere? 

No cc. I just did a copy and paste from the CSB list and didn't feel like retyping all the names lol

Side note: Unless someone beats me to it, I intend on posting all the links to the final draft rankings once they are published. I also know we already have a 2010 1st Round Mock Draft thread, but since the season is over and tanking, drafting Hall, Seguin or Fowler are moot points now, I thought it was time to get a fresher and more realistic perspective on what is available and what JR might be looking at.

Sounds good Krad. I've been following the draft projections with interest.  I look forward to all the seasons being over for those draft prospects and the draft projections to be finalized.  Thanks again.

Excellent. 

Any idea how the list would look if the N.American and International skaters were combined into one list? 

What range of players are we likely to still see on the board at #7?

It appears that Cam Fowler dropped a little. I thought he was ranked #3 at one point.

I think our scouting in North America has improved over the last years thought I'm not so sure of Robert Kron's way of doing things over in Europe. I don't know if he is even in our system anymore but if he is, someone ought to convince him to upgrade from his Sunday Pravda and hat and papersnips way of evaluating and picking Euros. Eventhough JR makes all the final decisions, it's the scouts that have to be spot-on on every draft eligible player. Makes me wonder who the Oiler's head scout was back in 79 when they drafted Kevin Lowe, Mark Messier and Glenn Anderson with the first three picks in franchise history, then a year later, they took Paul Coffey, Jari Kurri and Andy Moog and a year after that, Grant Fuhr. Five Hall of Famers and a hockey dynasty -- who would have thought.... 

Doesn't that sound familiar?

Kirill Kabanov (ranked No. 15 by Central Scouting midterm but dropped to 31 in January), left Moncton amid a bit of controversy. Publicly, the club said it agreed with the player's request to leave the team to train with Russian U-18 team. However, Kabanov could have been unhappy with his playing time. He had been playing left wing on the third line, had been benched for the final two periods of Moncton's playoff opener, and was a healthy scratch for Game 2. After that game, he announced his intentions to return to Russia.

After leaving the QMJHL's Moncton Wildcats in the midst of their playoff run to join the Russian team, Kabanov was dismissed by the Russian coach for discipline problems.

"I removed him from the team because we thought Kabanov would help us, but he brought only confusion to the team," Russia coach Mikhail Vasiliev told Sovietsky Sport. "Kabanov came and thought, 'Here I am, a star from Canada, who will save all.' But it's the team that wins rather than an individual player."

Excellent. 

Any idea how the list would look if the N.American and International skaters were combined into one list? 

It appears that Cam Fowler dropped a little. I thought he was ranked #3 at one point.

Final rankings from Central Scouting. I thought I saw somewhere that their Combine List is still pending.

I was a bit surprised too that Fowler dropped to No. 5. Another notable is that there are five defensemen in the top ten North American list while the Europeans only have one in their top ten. Speaking of defensemen, Mark Pysyk moved up two spots to No.7.

Would JR go after a defenseman in the first round? Our scouts did a pretty good job convincing JR to draft 28th ranked Brandon at No. 11 so it makes you wonder who he might have his sights on this time around. If he is looking at a North American forward he most likely has to pick another lesser ranked player or look to Europe.

[quote name='krad wrote:

remkin']Excellent. 

Would JR go after a defenseman in the first round? Our scouts did a pretty good job convincing JR to draft 28th ranked Brandon at No. 11 so it makes you wonder who he might have his sights on this time around. If he is looking at a North American forward he most likely has to pick another lesser ranked player or look to Europe.

I had my heart set on a super skilled forward, but alas our little winning streak may have put the kabbash on that. Anyone know if any of those European forwards are very high skilled, possibly NHL-ready guys? Or would a guy like that maybe drop down if teams ahead of us picked up defenseman? It's just hard to see Connolly dropping all the way to #7. Trade up maybe?

Don't get me wrong, it might be good to build the defense. It really looks like we got a steal with McBain. McBain, Pitkanen, Gleason, top draft pick? But so few defensemen are NHL ready. Hmmmm. No I think I would still like a forward. Probably could be convinced about a d guy if he were head and shoulders above the next forward on the board though.

Whatever we do I just want to get a forward in the top 10 that can develop into a very good player.  Hopefully one that may be able to even play next year (doubtful though).  With Carson/McBain/Pitkanen/Gleason likely back I think we can slot in a solid FA on D and maybe someone like Babs on the last pairing.  Then we have someone like Borer or Rodney as 7th d-man (likely Rodney as Borer could develop into a very good defenseman if he can get healthy again and he could spend time in Charlotte). 

It appears that JR could be targeting #'s 4,5 and 6 based on Paul's TTS Blog.

4.  Erik Gudbranson - D Canada

5.  Cam Fowler - D United States

6.  Brandon Gormley - D Canada

So with the #7 pick, and assuming this is the order in which they stay, how's JR getting to move up? 

Discuss...

So with the #7 pick, and assuming this is the order in which they stay, how's JR getting to move up? 

Discuss...

My guess is that one of them will drop down to us. All it takes is one team to be a little hesitant about drafting a defenseman that early for one to be available at #7. And with all the talk about defensemen taking longer to develop, someone's bound to pick a forward instead and go for a more immediate impact

[quote name='Stealth-ch1 wrote:

TSA']It appears that JR could be targeting #'s 4,5 and 6 based on
Paul's TTS Blog

Erik Gudbranson
-
D
Canada

Cam Fowler
-
D
United States

Brandon Gormley
-
D
Canada

Discuss...

My guess is that one of them will drop down to us. All it takes is one team to be a little hesitant about drafting a defenseman that early for one to be available at #7. And with all the talk about defensemen taking longer to develop, someone's bound to pick a forward instead and go for a more immediate impact

That's my thought too.  With these three guys being the first listed D on both the North American and the International lists, I think JR stands a very good chance at getting one of these guys.

Discuss...

Man I really do hope those guys are gone by the time our pick comes up. If I were a GM, I would, by rule, never pick a defenseman in the top 10. With that kind of a pick, I go for a game changer thats gonna bring me W's. The unpredictability in picking defensemen, imho, is significantly greater than for forwards. There are soooo many instances of teams that gave gone for a defenseman that high, who has turned out to be a bust. Obviously, this happens with forwards too, but my perception is that you generally know what you are getting with top 10 forwards. I'd use second round picks and beyond to find my defensemen. 

I haven't followed much draft news, but is it possible for that we could move up to take a forward that we wouldn't be able to take at 7?  With how unpredictable some defensemen can be, especially with this franchise, why not go for an offensive guy who can put the puck in the net very regularly?

Go for the best person available. No ifs ands or buts. Even if we have a million of that person, if it comes down to a good d man and a great forward, fo with the forward. Or vice versa. But if I were GM< i would not go for team needs, but for the best talent available

I don't know folks.  Gudbranson is that big, physical d-man that will drop the gloves JR is looking for to take some pressure off of Gleason.  If he drops to #7, I think it will be a tough decision for JR. 

I don't know folks.  Gudbranson is that big, physical d-man that will drop the gloves JR is looking for to take some pressure off of Gleason.  If he drops to #7, I think it will be a tough decision for JR. 
If it means we can get rid of Harrison, then by all means, let's hope we can draft this guy. Have never liked Harrison. Sure he'll fight, but doesn't exactly contribute much other than that. He's more of a liability than an asset (at least when I watch him), so drafting a young guy to replace him sounds great.

NHL.com has new mock drafts posted. Here's who they have for the 'Canes:

Adam Kimelman: Mark Pysyk

Comments: Numbers don't look great on a bad junior team, but he's an offensive dynamo.

http://www.nhl.com/ice/page.htm?id=62311

Mike G. Morreale: Derek Forbort

Comments: Great lateral quickness with poise and patience on the power play; likes to mix it up.

http://www.nhl.com/ice/page.htm?id=62315

Brad Holland: Mark Pysyk

Commands: CAR looking 'D', and Pysyk's stats don't reflect his talent.

http://www.nhl.com/ice/page.htm?id=62316

Adam Kimelman has Derek Forbort going 11th to Dallas.

Comments: Already has NHL size (6-foot-5, 198), chips in offensively and fearless in defensive zone.

Mike G. Morreale has Mark Pysyk going 12th to Anaheim.

Comments: All-round performer considered to be the most explosive defender in the WHL.

Brad Holland has Derek Forbort going 15th to Montreal.

Comments: After watching Hal Gill shut down Ovi, now Sid, Habs look for an equally-big, shut-down D-man here.

We need to go with a wing for our pick for Staal. Canes have not had any luck with 1st round D. Nino would be my pick if he is still there at 7.

Just shows the difference between picking in the top 3 or 4 and #7. Seems like the top 5 are pretty well agreed on. Then it starts getting choppy. Picking a guy at #7 projected as low as #15. I'm not feeling so good.

Dang you winning streak!

Really does look like moving up a spot or two might be well worth it if we could get Tampa or NYI to do it.

ok so now the playoffs are almost done with 2 rounds how are the picks looking now.

the 1st 14 then

15. TOOTTAWA

16. Colorado

17. Sabres

18. Predators

19. Kings

20. Devils (Thrashers pick)

21. Coyotes

22. Capitals

23. Montreal

24. Philly (Ducks get pick)

25. Red Wings

26. Canucks

27. Bruins

28. Blackhawks

29. Pittsburgh

30. Sharks

Obviously the last 5 are definite guesses. Montreal run ends, Philly and Detroit might get swept. Does that look right though based on points and elimination in playoffs?

Well since we dont have a top 5 pick I am all for trading down and getting depth for the future.  When the 7th pick comes up if there are 2 players we are equally high on I would talk to ATL to get the 8th and 20th pick (if I have the positions correct).  I would say use the 8th for a Dman and the 20th on a center that could come in and play on the 3rd line.  May have to give our last 3rd round to get the job done.

I would go even crazier and talk to the Ducks to see if they wanted the 8th for the 12th and 24th pick. 

I would look at D Pysyk, C Quinton Howden, or D Derek Forbort at 12th pick

20th pick I would look at RW Etam or LW Zucker

24th pick I look at D Stephon Johns, I really like that guy

I know im going out on a limb.  I have even crazier ideas for draft day trades that could work but probably not happen.