The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
Whaler1

2010 NHL Entry Draft Thread

Ha, Amen. Could be like Angelo Esposito a few years back, with the ego. 

That's who I was thinking of specifically as a player who was highly ranked and fell like a stone in the draft. Just looked to see where he is now...with the Thrashers farm team and going nowhere fast based on his numbers.

Sometimes players drop because needs must be filled by teams, but if a guy goes into freefall, it's usually some sort of other issue (attitude, people surrounding the player, physical limitations, possible injury concerns).

As for us, I'm not surprised we passed, particularly on Fowler. Our recent experience drafting D high in the draft didn't go too well and we've managed to draft good D out of the second round.

[quote name='rollinsox007 wrote:

OBXer']

The word is we are trying to trade up. The D men might still be there at 15

Was this on the broadcast, or something you found online?  Love it if true.The trying to move up was on the chat. The #15 is just my guess.

Fowler looked like he was going to pass out.  I'm just glad to see him get drafted to get some color back in him.  wink.gif

Maybe I was in denial of the fact JR doesn't like going defense in the first round.  I'm not going to knock on Skinner.  All I'll say is I wished we could have taken a bigger player.  But if he can translate that goal scoring to the next level then I think we have a really, really good player.

Now we need to trade up and start looking at those second-tier defensemen.  I think Gormley goes pretty soon.

Maybe I was in denial of the fact JR doesn't like going defense in the first round.  I'm not going to knock on Skinner.  All I'll say is I wished we could have taken a bigger player.  But if he can translate that goal scoring to the next level then I think we have a really, really good player.

Now we need to trade up and start looking at those second-tier defensemen.  I think Gormley goes pretty soon.

GONE

I asked Paul Branecky if Skinner was strictly a Center or if he plays wing as well.. This is what he said

Paul Branecky: I've seen him listed as both center and right wing. I think he probably projects more as a winger in the NHL. Will ask Rutherford and MacDonald when we get a chance later.

This makes me feel pretty good about this pick. Check out his highlights on youtube..fantastic goals.

Has anyone noticed that a kid from each team comes up to the stage with a jersey on?
 I think they are called runners.  Back before cell phones, they run trade requests and whatnot to other tables I think.

[quote name='jb_online wrote:

captain_jack88']Has anyone noticed that a kid from each team comes up to the stage with a jersey on?

I think they are called runners.  Back before cell phones, they run trade requests and whatnot to other tables I think.

You nailed it jb.  

I could be wrong but I don't think there is much point in trading up in the first round now.

Better to take our chances in 2nd round and maybe move up there if possible.

Has anyone noticed that a kid from each team comes up to the stage with a jersey on?
Yes.  Most of the drafted players tower over the executives on stage.  For us the kid was as tall as our draft pick.

Mike Maniscalco's Facebook update said that the Canes tried to move back into the 1st round to get a d-man, but couldn't get it done in time. Wonder if it could've gone through if we'd had another first round pick from a trade of Whitney.........

The more research I do on Jeff Skinner the more I understand why we picked him (and the more I agree with the pick).  He has a fantastic work ethic and even better attitude.  Great character fella, I am really looking forward to seeing him in action.

The more research I do on Jeff Skinner the more I understand why we picked him (and the more I agree with the pick).  He has a fantastic work ethic and even better attitude.  Great character fella, I am really looking forward to seeing him in action.
Agreed. First thing I noticed about him was his character. Seems to have a great attitude and awesome personality - also a little funny. He seems like a mix between LaRose and Whitney when it comes to personality.

Bob McKenzie, TSN: Quite simply, Jeff Skinner is the best natural goal-scorer in the entire draft. He scored 50 goals in the regular season for the Kitchener Rangers and added another 20 in the playoffs. He played on the fourth line for Canada at the U-18 Ivan Hlinka tournament last August and led the team in goal scoring. The former minor midget teammate of Tyler Seguin is not big, he’s not that fast, but he’s got a low centre of gravity, he’s agile and he’s hard on the puck and can score with a quick release from far out or get his nose dirty in the blue paint. Kitchener GM-coach Steve Spott talks about Skinner with the same sort of reverence reserved for former Ranger captain Mike Richards, and that’s saying something. Skinner comes from a family of high achievers – both his parents are lawyers, one sister attends Harvard and the other sister, who has been called to the bar this summer, attends Cornell. When he was 12, Skinner finished third in the national junior figure skating championships and reportedly can do a single axle in full hockey equipment, although Spott said he has yet to witness that. Skinner has been rocketing up the charts all season long as concerns about his skating seem to have dissipated and is a bona find top 10 consideration, although scouts are miffed that NHL Central Scouting ranks him 32nd amongst North American skaters.